OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:23:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Real Impact of Native Mascots and Team Names on Native Americans  (Read 586 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: July 22, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »

Link is to the PDF file

The debate over the racist name and mascot of the professional football team
based in the nation’s capital, the “Redskins,” has reached a fever pitch in recent
months
Racist and derogatory team names have real and
harmful effects on AI/AN people every day, particularly young people.
AI/AN students across the country attend K-12 and postsecondary schools that
still maintain racist and derogatory mascots. Research shows that these team
names and mascots can establish an unwelcome and hostile learning environment
for AI/AN students. It also reveals that the presence of AI/AN mascots directly
results in lower self-esteem and mental health for AI/AN adolescents and young
adults.
Racist team names and mascots provide a misrepresentation of
AI/AN people that masks the very real and continuing hardships that these communities
endure today. For example, AI/AN communities struggle with poverty at
nearly double the national rate, have some of the lowest high school graduation
rates in the country, and suffer from extreme health disparities. Perhaps most
disturbing, suicide is the second leading cause of death for AI/AN youth ages 15
to 24—a rate that is 2.5 times higher than the national average.
(pp. 1-2)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:37:57 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:25 PM »

My middle school mascot was the Cherokees, and my two different high school mascot were the Warriors (generic Indian in headdress) and the Kickapoo Chiefs. Way too much Indian Mascot stuff going on.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:41 PM »

I have a problem with native mascots, I agree completely with the quote in the original post.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »

I dont know if in general, there is causation between the two, and believe we have a LOT more bigger problems to solve, but

I fully believe that American Indian imagery should not be used in any aspect within sports, because it will , at some level, be deamining or turned into something demeaning(example, the "Kill the Redskins" or "Send them on the trail of tears, as referenced in the article).
However, until the time that happens, I will refer to their names as either simply the city r their nicknames, even if they should not be used anymore or at all ever.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:56 PM »

I have a problem with native mascots, I agree completely with the quote in the original post.

I agree.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »

I think we need more teams named after Cowboys, Patriots, Scandinavians, an Bellicose Hibernians.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:15:45 PM by vamrat » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »

I think we need more teams named after Cowboys, Patriots, Scandinavians, an Bellicose Hibernians.

Maybe they could get a big more fruity with names like Mangosteens, Pineapples, Tomatoes, Oranges, Peaches, Apricots, Cherries, Bananas, ah there's the rub.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »

We already have the Anaheim Ducks, so we could have the Florida Panthers, the Everglades Manatees, the California Cougars, the Texas Vipers, and the Nevada Rattlers.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »

Don't change the meaning, just change the mascot. Red skin potatoes are yummy!

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »

Don't change the meaning, just change the mascot. Red skin potatoes are yummy!

Funny but true!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »

We already have the Anaheim Ducks, so we could have the Florida Panthers, the Everglades Manatees, the California Cougars, the Texas Vipers, and the Nevada Rattlers.

You mean these Florida Panthers?

panthers.nhl.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:26:30 PM by TheMathematician » Logged

SCREW BON JOVI!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:55 PM »

I think that the fact that people get worked up over mascots is silly and they should be worrying over more important things.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:44:08 PM »

I think that the fact that people get worked up over mascots is silly and they should be worrying over more important things.

What about such cheers as "Kill the Redskins" or "Send them on the Trail of Tears"?

SCREW BON JOVI!
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:30 PM »

What about such cheers as "Kill the Redskins" or "Send them on the Trail of Tears"?
I've never heard such cheers, but if I did, I would think they are in poor taste.  That being said, we have free speech, so if people want to say stupid inappropriate things, who am I to stop them?

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »

Terrible that this is midweek. I thought the OP was denigrating in regard to Native Americans. And the stupid mascots are a fixable situation (where they may occur).
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:26 AM »

How would society react to a Black team named "The ******'s" or better yet, an LGBT team named "The ***'s"? I think the answer is obvious that the media would be all over it almost immediately, launching an unyielding barrage of homophobia and racist charges.

Yet, nobody bats an eye at team names that are derogatory toward Native Americans.

The way I see it is either nobody should use names that are offensive like this, or everybody should be allowed to use whatever name they want without having to worry about homophobia or racism. At least spread the evil equally to all people instead of only allowing it to some people and disallowing it to others.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 01:42:15 AM »

Yes, it was a real team.  There were also the Baltimore Black Sox and the New York Black Yankees.

Different times and I don't care.

Easy solution is to not support these teams that pay athletes millions of dollars to play a game.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

How would society react to a Black team named "The ******'s" or better yet, an LGBT team named "The ***'s"? I think the answer is obvious that the media would be all over it almost immediately, launching an unyielding barrage of homophobia and racist charges.

Yet, nobody bats an eye at team names that are derogatory toward Native Americans.

The way I see it is either nobody should use names that are offensive like this, or everybody should be allowed to use whatever name they want without having to worry about homophobia or racism. At least spread the evil equally to all people instead of only allowing it to some people and disallowing it to others.
I am wearied of the media being a propaganda machine for whatever the cause du jour might be.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »

The minor league hockey team where I grew up was called the 'Chiefs,' though it had more to do with the movie Slap Shot than anything else. Better than "The Johnstown Floods" or "The Johnstown Inclines" I guess.

Anyway, no longer an issue, as they moved and changed their name.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »

I've never heard such cheers, but if I did, I would think they are in poor taste.  That being said, we have free speech, so if people want to say stupid inappropriate things, who am I to stop them?
That's not what free speech is about.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »

"Nobody bats an eye..." What rock are you living under, James? You aren't aware of all the controversies surrounding such teams as the Washington Redskins, the Cleveland Indians, the Atlanta Braves, et al.? This has been big news for at least the last 20 years or so.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 09:37:38 AM »

I forgot. It is only politically correct speech that is free.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:21 AM »

"Nobody bats an eye..." What rock are you living under, James? You aren't aware of all the controversies surrounding such teams as the Washington Redskins, the Cleveland Indians, the Atlanta Braves, et al.? This has been big news for at least the last 20 years or so.

Someone thinks that referring to indians as the "Braves" is derogatory?

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »

Do you even know what I'm talking about?
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »

Apparently not. Could you elaborate?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »

I've never heard such cheers, but if I did, I would think they are in poor taste.  That being said, we have free speech, so if people want to say stupid inappropriate things, who am I to stop them?
Freedom of speech allows YOU to call other people out publicly for saying stupid, inappropriate things and to ask or even demand that they stop.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:15:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »

I've never heard such cheers, but if I did, I would think they are in poor taste.  That being said, we have free speech, so if people want to say stupid inappropriate things, who am I to stop them?
Freedom of speech allows YOU to call other people out publicly for saying stupid, inappropriate things and to ask or even demand that they stop.
I understand that. I freely grant them the priviledge to do so. I'm not saying anyone should be silenced in the debate. I just find it silly. There are actual real problems in the world and the US is concerned about silly things like the names of sports teams. Apparently the US Patent Office found it important enough to cancel their trademark.  Apparently, they will only protect the trademarks of items and teams that they feel are politically correct.  Roll Eyes

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »

I understand that. I freely grant them the priviledge to do so. I'm not saying anyone should be silenced in the debate. I just find it silly. There are actual real problems in the world and the US is concerned about silly things like the names of sports teams.
How is this silly? And, without going into a discussion of politics, how is the US failing to address the real problems by addressing this "silly" issue?

Apparently the US Patent Office found it important enough to cancel their trademark.
And that is perfectly within the scope of their authority. The US Patent Office isn't the whole government. It's merely a specific department charged with very specific responsibilities.

Apparently, they will only protect the trademarks of items and teams that they feel are politically correct.  Roll Eyes
How is that such a bad thing? If a moniker truly is demeaning and belittling to other people, should the US Patent Office not at least refuse to protect a sports team's exclusive right to use that moniker for merchandising purposes?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:44:05 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 10:54:49 AM »

I understand that. I freely grant them the priviledge to do so. I'm not saying anyone should be silenced in the debate. I just find it silly. There are actual real problems in the world and the US is concerned about silly things like the names of sports teams.
How is this silly? And, without going into a discussion of politics, how is the US failing to address the real problems by addressing this "silly" issue?
What real issues is the US actually addressing?  I can't think of any, but alas, this veers into Politics, so I will refrain from commenting further so as not to have the thread sent into the abyss.

Apparently the US Patent Office found it important enough to cancel their trademark.
And that is perfectly within the scope of their authority. The US Patent Office isn't the whole government. It's merely a specific department charged with very specific responsibilities.
For the purposes of patents, the Patent Office IS the federal government. It has overstepped its bounds and has already been told so by the courts on at least two other occasions on this exact issue. Instead, they waste taxpayers money by revoking it a third time and likely incurred millions of dollars in legal fees to fight it.
Apparently, they will only protect the trademarks of items and teams that they feel are politically correct.  Roll Eyes
How is that such a bad thing? If a moniker truly is demeaning and belittling to other people, should the US Patent Office not at least refuse to protect a sports team's exclusive right to use that moniker for merchandising purposes?
Other than some people getting hurt feelings about the name, how is the team name "Redskins" causing injury?  If we revoked patents anytime someone got hurt feelings, I can think of a whole bunch of stuff that could suddenly have patents revoked. The purpose of patents is to protect intellectual property. Someone drew the Redskins logo. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but someone is still entitled to protect their property. You can't just decide to withdraw patents on offensive items because deciding what is offensive and what is not is extremely subjective.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:57:23 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »

Other than some people getting hurt feelings about the name, how is the team name "Redskins" causing injury?  If we revoked patents anytime someone got hurt feelings, I can think of a whole bunch of stuff that could suddenly have patents revoked. The purpose of patents is to protect intellectual property. Someone drew the Redskins logo. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but someone is still entitled to protect their property. You can't just decide to withdraw patents on offensive items because deciding what is offensive and what is not is extremely subjective.

Since you  are bringing up the issue of injury, it seems you can look this up yourself. In regard to the rest of the post, how can Redskins be a patent? It makes no sense to me. Are we talking trademarks?

Off the cuff, I do think there is a distinction between Redskins versus braves, warriors and Indians, in that the latter have known, admirable, attributes. I have not seen this with Redskins, but you have the opportunity to correct me.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »

Since you  are bringing up the issue of injury, it seems you can look this up yourself. In regard to the rest of the post, how can Redskins be a patent? It makes no sense to me. Are we talking trademarks?

Off the cuff, I do think there is a distinction between Redskins versus braves, warriors and Indians, in that the latter have known, admirable, attributes. I have not seen this with Redskins, but you have the opportunity to correct me.
You are correct, I should have said trademark, not patent. The question is not whether Redskin can be interpreted in a positive light, the question is, does the federal government get to determine what is offensive and revoke trademark based on the premise. I have no problem with people criticizing the Redskins for maintaining the name even though I personally find it to be an argument in triviality, but I do have a problem with the federal government intervening in the dispute for what I can only presume to be an effort at scoring cheap political points.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: