Author Topic: Best way to learn a foreign language?...  (Read 1665 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
Best way to learn a foreign language?...
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:16:26 AM »
Hi

My primary language is English (C++ Computer Programming Language)  but I would like to start out by learning a new foreign language. I have some basic introduction questions - How long does it take? I assume it makes the same use of speech and writing and well as a comprehension. How long does it take to learn a new language 10 weeks

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:17:20 AM by WPM »
Learn meditation.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Re: Best way to learn a foreign language?...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:54:41 AM »
Hi

My primary language is English (C++ Computer Programming Language)  but I would like to start out by learning a new foreign language. I have some basic introduction questions - How long does it take? I assume it makes the same use of speech and writing and well as a comprehension. How long does it take to learn a new language 10 weeks

The best way to learn a new language is by immersion.

If you have a roommate or friend who speaks Spanish or French, you could pick up that language very rapidly.
If you go to a Greek Orthodox Church, you can learn the hymns in Greek (liturgical Greek), and by speaking with the older people in the parish, you can learn to speak Greek.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »

I agree.  You have to use it.

People who are fluent in a language, but, don't use it....will lose it.

There's Pimsleur, which is a program that teaches through "sound"....just like you learned as a baby.  Your parents spoke at you and you repeated.  Pimsleur works on those same principles.

I think it is best that you actually "hear" the language.  That it gets absorbed through your ears, as well as through your eyes (through reading).

Get the basics....and then go find a group who speak that language and be with them.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:17:27 AM »
Hi

It depends what language you will learn.
The best way is to learn with the native or directly learn in those countries.
If want to learn Japanese you will be able in basic conversation in 3 months when you are in here (Japan)
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »
Immersion is, indeed, the best way to learn a language. If that's not possible, though, it's no big deal: you can still get it otherwise.  ;) I have some experience with language learning, so I'll try to give you some advice.

• Look for a course. If you can't find one, look for some online forum or Facebook group and try to get some advice on self-teaching material. That is just the beginning.
  • Train the language as exaustively as you can. Try watching movies (even if subtitled), listening to music (checking its lyrics), reading books, or maybe even Wikipedia. That is never enough. Also, always do those things on a level slightly higher than you are able to. Not to low, as you don't really need that to improve your skills; but not so hard that you may get let down.
  • Study it really hard and periodically. If you can't spare some time apart to study it hard, try to fit some light practice into your routine though.
  • Try learning formal grammar apart sometimes. It should "polish" your skills.
  • Don't lose your time on an obstacle too hard. It's much better to skip it, you'll recover it later.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 12:30:13 AM »
1. Immersion is the best if you can afford/have time for programs like Middlebury College offers, or for things like the State Department's CLS program. You'll make tons of progress very, very quickly--and then it's up to you to keep it up.

2. Once you have some command of the language, do things like watch TV shows, listen to music, read newspaper articles/websites, etc. to get yourself thinking about the language in a different environment. It helps you unpack grammar in different ways, too. I reinforce my Russian language skills by listening to TONS of Russian music (a lot of which is available online), watching movies on YouTube, watching sports broadcasts, etc. One thing I found really helpful was watching American shows and movies dubbed into Russian (you've never lived until you've watched dubbed Star Trek, Parks and Rec, etc.) because I already knew what was going on and so you could match what you knew of the plot/script with what you were hearing. I've also been reading the Harry Potter books translated into Russian, which is great because I've read them so many times, I'm not going in cold on the plot. It's like a crutch to build your vocabulary. When you realize you're understanding stuff, it makes you feel pretty good.

3. There's a series of books for a number of languages called "English Grammar for Students of (Language)," which allow you to familiarize yourself with grammar terms you probably don't know because you were never taught English that way. It's hard to describe, but once you see how, say, genitive case works in English, it makes you understand it better in your acquired language.