OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:10:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you ask for Xanax for your dog?
Never. - 3 (42.9%)
No, but I cannot say never. - 2 (28.6%)
Maybe if his barking is disturbing neighbors - 0 (0%)
Yes, why not? - 1 (14.3%)
YES, I should not own this dog. - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you ask your vet for a prescription of Xanax for your dog?  (Read 682 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: July 20, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »

Xanax for dogs? Epidemic of medicated dogs calling into question sanity of their owners

Sunday, July 20, 2014 by: Aurora Geib
(NaturalNews) More and more vets are prescribing mind-altering psychiatric drugs for dogs they've diagnosed with depression or anxiety. These drugs come with a whole busload of side effects and warnings, including, according to the ASPCA ironically, increased anxiety.(1) Dogs who react to stress with aggression can even become more aggressive when they're on Xanax because the drug lowers their inhibitions. Just like people, dogs sometimes pick fights when they're stoned.

http://www.naturalnews.com/046084_Xanax_medicated_dogs_pet_owners.html

Please read the complete article before responding to this thread. Thanks.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:05:07 PM »

Another reminder of why cats are better than dogs.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »

There is no option to say I do not own a dog.

If I did own a dog, I would probably not give him Xanax. That stuff is expensive and I would keep it for myself.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »

If you read the article, it answers your poll already.

I would give a dog a medication if the only alternative was euthanasia.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »

If you read the article, it answers your poll already.

I would give a dog a medication if the only alternative was euthanasia.

Congratulations.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:36:42 AM »

If I did own a dog, I would probably not give him Xanax. That stuff is expensive and I would keep it for myself.

A stoned human should not own a dog.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 12:50:17 AM »

Maria constantly speaks of Christian love, yet has no qualms in suggesting TheTrisagion is stoned. Nice.  Angry
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:51:09 AM by LBK » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 12:56:47 AM »

Playing armchair drug addictions counselor?   Huh
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:57:24 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:22 AM »

No, that is basically what the article said. Stoned humans cannot properly take care of children or pets.

Besides, I did take several drug/addiction courses in college and actively participated in two interventions outside of my college classes.

By the way, we helped to save a friend who was suicidal, who was addicted to both alcohol and cocaine, and who tried to go cold turkey from both drugs when he heard a sermon at a Protestant Church talking about the evils of addictions. The pastor did not cover drug withdrawals, but told the congregation that demons and drugs go together. So this man thought that he could do it by himself by invoking the Name of Jesus. He ended up with a 72 hour commitment when he almost took the TV station off the air. The shrink was convinced that he was schizophrenic not even considering the fact that he was on drugs. We got him into a hospital for drug detox and treatment. He was able to return to work a very sober and thankful man.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:14:40 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 01:35:53 AM »

No, that is basically what the article said. Stoned humans cannot properly take care of children or pets.

Do you trust the systems that are in place to protect children and pets from 'stoned humans?'

Besides, I did take several drug/addiction courses in college and actively participated in two interventions outside of my college classes.

I took Psych 101 - that doesn't make me an armchair psychologist.   laugh  police  laugh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 01:47:44 AM »

I like how among all the conspiracy and sky-is-falling articles they still give space to things like "10 health benefits of cucumbers." Just because the world is ending that's no excuse to stop eating your veggies.  police

As for the dog question... I don't have a pet, but I would appreciate if they could get me on the right drugs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:48:22 AM by Justin Kissel » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:17 AM »

Do you trust the systems that are in place to protect children and pets from 'stoned humans?'

I took Psych 101 - that doesn't make me an armchair psychologist.   laugh  police  laugh

Well, you act like an armchair psychologist. Betcha never took any courses in child psychology either.

Part of the drug/addiction courses that I took at college had as their scope our training as interventionists with specific training in how to conduct an intervention to get people into drug detox and treatment. So, I was not acting as an armchair shrink. I was certified to act as an interventionist, not as a shrink.

That shrink at the mental hospital had no knowledge of how drugs and alcohol can affect people. He had asked the patient, "Do you drink or take any intoxicating drugs?" Since the patient had not taken any intoxicating drugs for four days, he honestly answered, "No."  How can that shrink be an effective psychiatrist without a knowledge of drug and alcohol addiction, and without a knowledge that people can be in denial?

While earning my degree in Health Education, I also took Medical Nutrition and Medical Parasitology, two courses which many M.D.s never take.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:01:03 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:52:24 AM »

Maria constantly speaks of Christian love, yet has no qualms in suggesting TheTrisagion is stoned. Nice.  Angry
Maria has made no suggestion that TheTrisagion is stoned.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:03:14 AM »

Maria constantly speaks of Christian love, yet has no qualms in suggesting TheTrisagion is stoned. Nice.  Angry

What Maria posted:

1. The article questions whether veterinarians should prescribe Xanax for anxious or aggressive dogs. Nowhere did the article Maria linked to refer to "stoned humans", or their ability to look after children or pets. What the article did say was this: "Just like people, dogs sometimes pick fights when they're stoned".

2. TheTrisagion wrote: "that stuff is expensive and I would keep it for myself". The article equates the taking of Xanax to being stoned, hence my calling out Maria on her inference that TheTrisagion is a "stoned human".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:07:37 AM by LBK » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 03:09:36 AM »

Maria constantly speaks of Christian love, yet has no qualms in suggesting TheTrisagion is stoned. Nice.  Angry

What Maria posted:

1. The article questions whether veterinarians should prescribe Xanax for anxious or aggressive dogs. Nowhere did the article Maria linked to refer to "stoned humans", only this: "Just like people, dogs sometimes pick fights when they're stoned".

2. TheTrisagion wrote: "that stuff is expensive and I would keep it for myself". The article equates the taking of Xanax to being stoned, hence my calling out Maria's inference that TheTrisagion is a "stoned human".

Yes, LBK, I can read. I read Maria's post three times already. It doesn't say any of those nasty things you project into it. Have you tried asking her what she really meant to say?
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 03:11:43 AM »

What Maria posted:

1. The article questions whether veterinarians should prescribe Xanax for anxious or aggressive dogs. Nowhere did the article Maria linked to refer to "stoned humans", only this: "Just like people, dogs sometimes pick fights when they're stoned".

2. TheTrisagion wrote: "that stuff is expensive and I would keep it for myself". The article equates the taking of Xanax to being stoned, hence my calling out Maria's inference that TheTrisagion is a "stoned human".

Yes, LBK, I can read. I read Maria's post three times already. It doesn't say any of those nasty things you project into it. Have you tried asking her what she really meant to say?

Why don't you try asking her, PtA? She has an aversion to answering my questions.

LBk, I do not see any moderator stars or moderator green font in your request. Therefore, I am free to ignore your non-mod directive.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:14:10 AM by LBK » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 03:16:35 AM »

What Maria posted:

Why don't you try asking her, PtA? She doesn't like answering my questions.
YOU are the one embarrassing yourself by making baseless accusations with your shoot first, ask questions later style. Maybe YOU should ask her to keep from embarrassing yourself even more. I'm not going to ask her any questions, for I'm not accusing her of anything connected to this thread.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:18:42 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 03:21:11 AM »

Embarrassing myself? Heh. I would say you're the one who should be embarrassed. This part of your post makes no sense at all:

Maybe YOU should ask her to keep from embarrassing yourself even more.

Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 03:27:18 AM »

Embarrassing myself? Heh. I would say you're the one who should be embarrassed. This part of your post makes no sense at all:

Cheesy
It makes a lot of sense, actually. You make yourself look foolish with your baseless projections and accusations against Maria. By asking her what she really meant to say, you can avoid compounding your foolishness with the even greater foolishness of more senseless accusations.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 03:29:16 AM »

Maybe you should let Maria speak for herself, rather than jumping into the 'knight in shining armour' costume for her, just because you have a 'thing' for sticking it to LBK and would side with anyone who disagreed with her.

It's honestly not all that becoming on you, that suit.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 03:29:54 AM »

What Maria posted:

Why don't you try asking her, PtA? She has an aversion to answering my questions.
BTW, LBK, Maria doesn't like me either. Sad
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 03:34:36 AM »

What Maria posted:

BTW, LBK, Maria doesn't like me either. Sad

None of my concern, PtA.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 03:36:49 AM »

Cheesy
It makes a lot of sense, actually. You make yourself look foolish with your baseless projections and accusations against Maria. By asking her what she really meant to say, you can avoid compounding your foolishness with the even greater foolishness of more senseless accusations.

Your advice is useless and pointless. I've already told you Maria doesn't like answering my questions. Or did you not read that post of mine?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:37:44 AM by LBK » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 03:39:53 AM »

Maybe you should let Maria speak for herself, rather than jumping into the 'knight in shining armour' costume for her, just because you have a 'thing' for sticking it to LBK and would side with anyone who disagreed with her.

It's honestly not all that becoming on you, that suit.
Denise, I'm standing up for someone who doesn't like me, either, and if I agreed with LBK, I wouldn't have any qualms defending her against Maria. If that causes you consternation, then maybe you should just ignore my attempt to call LBK out for her bad behavior at the moment and just mind your own business, or at least attend to the fact that I've seen you call Maria (and LBK?) out for things she has posted.

Now I've said just about everything that needs to be said, and I really don't want to derail this thread anymore than LBK's comments call for. If you're just itching to have the last word, that's fine by me. Don't be surprised if I don't reply to you, though.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 03:43:09 AM »

Cheesy

Your advice is useless and pointless. I've already told you Maria doesn't like answering my questions.
Then stop hitting her with your off-topic accusations and refocus your efforts toward answering the OP.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 04:55:13 AM »

When cats rub their heads on your legs, they are marking you as theirs!
It is their purring and soft fur that is so soothing to humans.
Plus felines serve as awesome feet warmers.

Incidentally, did you know that their cousin, the mountain lion, can also meow?

Barking dogs, on the other hand, are not popular. That irritating sound can keep people awake at night even though they could be chasing potential burglars, coyotes, bears, raccoons, or even mountain lions away. However, they do serve as man's best friend, but only if man is willing to invest time and money in training, walking, talking, hugging, petting, bathing, and feeding them. Oh, do not forget the doggie massage.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »

For the record, I took no offense at what Maria said. I dish out enough on this forum that if I can't take a few jabs back, I shouldn't be here.  My comment was a weak attempt at humor and I'm sure Maria saw it as such.

Now, back to drugging dogs...

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »

If the problem of canine anxiety is so widespread, one would think someone would have developed canine tranquillisers by now (and made a fortune in the process).

I've never seen a dog in such a state, myself. Are we sure it's not the result of too much attention?

PS: Cats rule.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »

Yesterday, I met my uncle's dogs. They were all cute, but beagle mix Chloe was the nicest. She went to everyone around the table and nudged them, to be petted. So I obliged.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »

What's all this hating on Xanax?  Wink

Formerly known as "mctavix"
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:01 AM »

What's all this hating on Xanax?  Wink
I'm a Paxil man myself.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »

For the record, I took no offense at what Maria said. I dish out enough on this forum that if I can't take a few jabs back, I shouldn't be here.  My comment was a weak attempt at humor and I'm sure Maria saw it as such.

Of course!  laugh

Oh, you little rascal.  Shocked  Roll Eyes  Grin You would not, would you?

p.s. I forget to use smilies. Some commentators have stated that smilies are a very poor replacement for natural human gestures, bodily movements, head nods, and facial expressions. It is said that 80 percent of our message is delivered by our bodily movements and vocal intonations, but only 20 percent by the written word. Linguists such as Denise should know that!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:27:23 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

Yesterday, I met my uncle's dogs. They were all cute, but beagle mix Chloe was the nicest. She went to everyone around the table and nudged them, to be petted. So I obliged.   Smiley

Beagles rule!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »

For the record, I took no offense at what Maria said. I dish out enough on this forum that if I can't take a few jabs back, I shouldn't be here.  My comment was a weak attempt at humor and I'm sure Maria saw it as such.

Of course!  laugh

p.s. I forget to use smilies. Some commentators have stated that smilies are a very poor replacement for natural human gestures, bodily movements, head nods, and facial expressions. It is said that 80 percent of our message is delivered by our bodily movements and vocal intonations, but only 20 percent by the written word. Linguists such as Denise should know that!
I'm not a big fan of emoticons, but I use them frequently just because I'm afraid that people will misinterpret what I'm saying.  I failed to use them in this thread and WWIII almost broke out!  With great power comes great responsibility. I must remember that my words are frequently taken as gospel around here and I therefore need to exercise more judicious restraint.   Wink

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »

Of course!  laugh

I'm not a big fan of emoticons, but I use them frequently just because I'm afraid that people will misinterpret what I'm saying.  I failed to use them in this thread and WWIII almost broke out!  With great power comes great responsibility. I must remember that my words are frequently taken as gospel around here and I therefore need to exercise more judicious restraint.   Wink

Some females are truly hysterical, and this thread proved it.  Roll Eyes  Grin I wonder how many wars were started by women or were started because of women.  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:05:12 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 02:05:35 PM »

Some females are truly hysterical, and this thread proved it.  Roll Eyes  Grin I wonder how many wars were started by women or were started because of women.  Shocked

All of them. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 02:07:20 PM »

All of them. 

And that includes the female dog too! They can be very protective of their pups.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »

Well I'm allergic to felines so I don't know much about them. I did find dogs however along with wolves to be much more people friendly. It's amazing what a canine will do for a snack.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »

Barking dogs, on the other hand, are not popular.

Huskies and some more exotic dog breeds don't bark but howl. Same with Wolfdog hybrids.

The sound of cats mating, however, THAT can get pretty loud. The neighbor has a large amount of cats and they can occasionally keep you up all night with the incessant sound of their mating.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »

The sound of cats mating, however, THAT can get pretty loud. The neighbor has a large amount of cats and they can occasionally keep you up all night with the incessant sound of their mating.
I think that's where we got the word "caterwauling".
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »

Huskies and some more exotic dog breeds don't bark but howl. Same with Wolfdog hybrids.

First frognography, now cats.

I heard that Mor Ephrem is addicted to cocaine. Pass it on.

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

Of course!  laugh

I'm not a big fan of emoticons, but I use them frequently just because I'm afraid that people will misinterpret what I'm saying.  I failed to use them in this thread and WWIII almost broke out!  With great power comes great responsibility. I must remember that my words are frequently taken as gospel around here and I therefore need to exercise more judicious restraint.   Wink

I agree, rudeness is insulting, demeaning, embarrassing, and humiliating others.
To label a woman as "hysterical" is frequently done here at OC.net. I cannot provide examples without violating the rules, but you can search that term.

Oh most wise Kelly
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »

No this is actually a serious problem. The cats are constantly mating and it's very loud. Animal control doesn't do anything apart from giving you a trap and even if you trap them,  it does no good wherever you drop them off because they always end up coming back. My dog when I had one wasn't always quiet, but he at least kept the loud mating cats away.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »

Instead of everyone picking on Maria, why don't you simply ask TheTrisagion, why he posted the below remark?

TheTrisagion, I do hope that you, and everyone else, would use prescription drugs wisely, and ONLY if they were actually prescribed to YOU, and not to your dog.  Wink

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:41:03 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »

No this is actually a serious problem. The cats are constantly mating and it's very loud. Animal control doesn't do anything apart from giving you a trap and even if you trap them,  it does no good wherever you drop them off because they always end up coming back. My dog when I had one wasn't always quiet, but he at least kept the loud mating cats away.

A lot of cat rescues offer a TNR (trap, neuter, release) program - a couple neighbors and I have done this for stray cats in our neighborhood.

Oh most wise Kelly
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 06:59:36 PM »

I agree, rudeness is insulting, demeaning, embarrassing, and humiliating others.
To label a woman as "hysterical" is frequently done here at OC.net. I cannot provide examples without violating the rules, but you can search that term.

Excellent sleutheranism, Kelly!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »

clearly, this is all explainable by the fact that

a. there are females, who are truly hysterical trouble makers
and
b. there are women, who are angelic and it would be rude to imply they might cause trouble or be hysterical.

and since we have already been told to quit picking on a woman here......clearly that points to which is which
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:02:05 PM by DeniseDenise » Logged

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 07:04:45 PM »

Excellent sleutheranism, Kelly!

I think that's what Jaroslav Pelikan was before he converted.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »

clearly, this is all explainable by the fact that

a. there are females, who are truly hysterical trouble makers
and
b. there are women, who are angelic and it would be rude to imply they might cause trouble or be hysterical.

and since we have already been told to quit picking on a woman here......clearly that points to which is which

On the contrary, did not PtA chastise you, kelly, and LBK for your officious trouble making?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »

No.

But not because of the concerns of the article.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »

Please let us stop with the bickering, and get back on topic, which is, "Would you ask your vet for a prescription of Xanax for your dog?"

If you wish to discuss something other than that specific topic, please start a different thread.

Thank you.

Liza Symonenko
Global Moderator

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »

I would only do it if my vet recommended it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »

I would only do it if my vet recommended it.

Thanks biro.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »

Instead of everyone picking on Maria, why don't you simply ask TheTrisagion, why he posted the below remark?

TheTrisagion, I do hope that you, and everyone else, would use prescription drugs wisely, and ONLY if they were actually prescribed to YOU, and not to your dog.  Wink

I will tell you why I posted that remark.  Dog Xanax is so much better than people Xanax. Dog Xanax comes in awesome flavors like Bacon and Rawhide. I often go to my vet for medication, although I have to admit that he has started getting suspicious when I start asking for prescriptions of Percocet.  I have to come up with some excuse like my dog was working out and pulled a muscle in his back.

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »

Never change, dear Trisagion!

Oh most wise Kelly
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »

I will tell you why I posted that remark.  Dog Xanax is so much better than people Xanax. Dog Xanax comes in awesome flavors like Bacon and Rawhide. I often go to my vet for medication, although I have to admit that he has started getting suspicious when I start asking for prescriptions of Percocet.  I have to come up with some excuse like my dog was working out and pulled a muscle in his back.

You are making me hungry.

One of my friends has a relative in a skilled nursing home, and they have put her nasty psychoactive medicine in her juice, yogurt, or desert. It absolutely wrecks the food and makes it taste very bitter. They tell her if she does not take her tablets, and they search the trash and floors, then they will either give it to her in her food or give her  an injection of Haldol. The Haldol is a wipeout, so she does not want that ever.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:15:53 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »

I hate Nursing Homes.

They just drug the elderly so they don't complain.

My uncle was in one for about 4 weeks.  We visited him daily and I found out he was also being drugged.  He had suffered a stroke and the point was to rehabilitate him there....but, no...they would drug him into a quiet stupor.  When I saw the chart I questioned the nurse about it and she told me he was being belligerent.  I asked him about it, and he mumbled that he wanted to go to the restroom, and he couldn't move and nobody would come and so he was yelling for help....

I told her that I had his power of attorney and I forbade them giving him any drugs that would diminish his speech, etc.  After all, he's there to help him speak clearer....not to just lay there and sleep.

They didn't give him anything for a few days, and then again he was drugged.

Just like the pretty old ladies, sitting in their wheelchairs, with glassy eyes, and perfectly coiffed hair, in the hallway.  Every day, in the same location....just sitting there and waiting to die.

I hate those places.

When my mom had to go to one earlier this year for a couple of weeks after serious pneumonia, I took vacation time, and didn't leave her side for more than 5 minutes.  You'd be amazed what you can sleep on when you have to.

I actually caught a number of medical errors.  She was supposed to be on a diuretic, nope...nothing.  She was to get her diabetic meds....nothing....  I had to actually call back to the hospital to get the doctors to talk to the nurses, etc.

I understand how sad those places are...and how busy and understaffed....but, if you send a loved one, whom you truly wish to see live....you need to watch them like a hawk.

As for Xanax and dogs....if the vet prescribed it, and I had the funds with which to buy them, I would.  Your pets become like family...and you don't wish to see them suffer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:29:50 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: