OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:15:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malware Question (reposted properly)  (Read 3442 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

A woman's beauty with the steadiness of the man.

« on: July 20, 2014, 05:05:47 PM »

So is 7-Zip malware? I just installed or updated it and I am not sure if I should uninstall it or not. I was going through programmes to check for anything that should not be there and was not sure about 7-Zip. Someone who knows about this stuff would be good to answer. I'm trying to keep this computer clean and be proactive since my last computer was pretty much consumed by malware, which I did not keep in check. I have AVG now. I might get Norton when I have the money as my free period is up. My computer nerd friend said AVG was good. Anway, not sure about the 7-Zip. Is is legit? Gee, I really hate malware. Every time I have a problem with it I take pleasure in considering the depth of Dante's Inferno the makers of it will be in. The seventh, I suppose, for the violence--no, the eight because they are fraudulent! Hahahah!

Thanks,

B.

Had to change that last animated signature. It's sure to trigger a seizure in anyone....but Kel does love orange soda and I like red wine.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »

7-Zip is not malware at all. IMO, it's actually the best file compression, archiving, and extraction tool I've ever used. It's so good, in fact, that the IT pro at my work installed it on every test computer my team uses. The best part is that it's absolutely free to download and install, unlike such commercial file archiving tools as WinZip and WinRAR.

You can read more information about 7-Zip here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Zip.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:19:11 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »

7zip is open source so from what I know and I checked some tech fora, if you got it from a reliable place like CNET or the 7zip site itself it's great.  But from someone/place else it's possible that it could have been messed with and something attached. (suspicious? security-freak? me?  Wink  ) .  

Here's a link to an MS community thread on 7zip
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_programs/is-7zip-safe/d7580e74-8b10-4fd0-a41e-35ca1144fda0

Just for infomation's sake Malwarebytes is a good program for catching things that try to come in.  I have it along with Norton 360.

Does this help?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:22:09 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »

7zip is open source so from what I know and I checked some tech fora, if you got it from a reliable place like CNET or the 7zip site itself it should be OK.  But from someone/place else it's possible that it could have been messed with and something attached. .
That is true. Even with the best, safest applications, if you're not careful in choosing the websites from which you download them, you might end up downloading add-ons that you don't want. You also need to be careful when running the downloader/installer that you uncheck the check box for every add-on that you don't want, for many installers will try to "sell" you something you don't want. The best choice for downloading 7-Zip is from the 7-Zip site itself. Outside of that, CNET is a good alternative.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:29:58 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

A woman's beauty with the steadiness of the man.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »

Yeah thanks about the attachment issue, too. I know that from experience. Actually if I recall a few months ago GoogleCrome had an issue with it. I think I posted about it with an article. But the issue is fixed now with Google. But yeah, you've got to be careful with everything.

Had to change that last animated signature. It's sure to trigger a seizure in anyone....but Kel does love orange soda and I like red wine.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »

7zip is open source so from what I know and I checked some tech fora, if you got it from a reliable place like CNET or the 7zip site itself it should be OK.  But from someone/place else it's possible that it could have been messed with and something attached. .
That is true. Even with the best, safest applications, if you're not careful in choosing the websites from which you download them, you might end up downloading add-ons that you don't want. You also need to be careful when running the downloader/installer that you uncheck the check box for every add-on that you don't want, for many installers will try to "sell" you something you don't want. The best choice for downloading 7-Zip is from the 7-Zip site itself. Outside of that, CNET is a good alternative.

Oh yes..  You have to watch those "helpful" boxes with such "useful" extras.  Examine everything that you dl with a cold, beady eye and suspicion.  That's one of my tech-geek rules.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »

Yeah thanks about the attachment issue, too. I know that from experience. Actually if I recall a few months ago GoogleCrome had an issue with it. I think I posted about it with an article. But the issue is fixed now with Google. But yeah, you've got to be careful with everything.

Glad to be of service.  Open Source can be terrific.  But there are also people out there who set malware loose on the world and they are not Our Friends.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: