OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 11:10:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pigweed and water hemp take over millions of acres of land - RoundUp resistant  (Read 358 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: July 16, 2014, 12:33:51 AM »

Darwin's theory is correct. It was bound to happen.

Superweeds are winning the battle and defeating Monsanto's Roundup.

Hey, pigweed seeds are a good source of protein. If the field is overtaken, the seeds are edible.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2014/06/22/superweeds-choke-farms/11231231/

Arkansas farmer Tommy Young says Southern growers have lived through nearly a decade of torment, fighting a destructive, fast-growing weed that can carry a million seeds, grow as tall as an NBA player and is unfazed by several herbicides.

Now that weed — Palmer amaranth — is in five Iowa counties on the state's border, and agronomists are working to determine whether it is herbicide resistant.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:42 AM »

We have been battling this weed now for three decades. You cannot compost it unless it is young. Once it has seeds, they can overtake everything. And one plant can generate up to 1 million seeds.

We must pull the weeds when the ground is wet as they have extremely long tap roots. Yes, and they can grow two inches per night and tower six to seven feet high. Just when you think you have pulled them all, more sprout, and birds carry their seeds everywhere.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:37:18 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:20 AM »

Here are some pictures of two different types of young pigweed plants: Waterhemp and Palmer Amaranth.

http://bulletin.ipm.illinois.edu/?p=923

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

Well you should be happy about this!  It looks like the weeds are doing a better job of defeating Monstanto than the anti-Monsanto activists.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »

It's pretty.  It looks like it might a really nice privacy hedge.  Cheesy

In all seriousness though...I can see it squishing out the native species and even damaging crop fields.

Can't it be burned?  Set the field ablaze.  Will the seeds survive the fire and sprout the next year?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »

Can you smoke it?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »

Well you should be happy about this!  It looks like the weeds are doing a better job of defeating Monstanto than the anti-Monsanto activists.

Yes, dem weeds are proving our case.

Man against nature ... Nature will always win because man will be eaten by worms perhaps of his own making.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »

Can you smoke it?

You can eat the seeds, but not the plant.

Trouble is that each 7 foot plant produces millions of seeds -- tiny seeds that are about 1 mm. These seeds scatter everywhere and can last up to 17 years in the soil before sprouting, so even burning a field does not get rid of these hardy seeds.

We have pulled a few giants that were in an area behind a tree on the bank, so we did not see them until too late. We had to use a six foot pinch bar to break up the rocky ground or the pitch fork when the soil is a sandy loam. It is very labor intensive as they have huge long tap roots. If you just cut them down, they can grow new shoots and seed some more.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:20:08 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »

Can you smoke it?

Trouble is that each 7 foot plant produces millions of seeds -- tiny seeds that are about 1 mm. These seeds scatter everywhere and can last up to 17 years in the soil before sprouting, so even burning a field does not get rid of these hardy seeds.

We have pulled a few giants that were in an area behind a tree on the bank, so we did not see them until too late. We had to use a six foot pinch bar to break up the rocky ground or the pitch fork when the soil is a sandy loam. It is very labor intensive as they have huge long tap roots. If you just cut them down, they can grow new shoots and seed some more.

Yes, but can you smoke it?  If it is a type of hemp plant, there could be a bright side to this.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »

Can you smoke it?

Yes, but can you smoke it?  If it is a type of hemp plant, there could be a bright side to this.

It is not related to hemp as far as I know. They call it water hemp, but it is a pigweed.
I guess pigs could eat it, but not smoke it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigweed

From what I have read, pigweed is not good for human consumption, except for the seeds.

Anyway, as a Girl Scout, we were instructed in the differences between Lamb's quarters and Pigweed.

Lamb's quarters is a good plant for goats and people. It enriches the soil and the leaves are good in salads. However, people can be allergic to the pollen of Lamb's quarters.  http://www.ediblewildfood.com/lambs-quarters.aspx
Edible parts: Leaves, shoots, seeds, flowers. Saponins in the seeds are potentially toxic and should not be consumed in excess. Lamb’s quarters contain some oxalic acid therefore when eating this raw, small quantities are recommended. Cooking removes this acid. Lamb’s quarter can be eaten in salads or added to smoothies and juices. Steaming this edible weed is one method of cooking, or can be added to soups, sautés and much more. Drying this wild edible is one way to add this nutritious plant to your meals throughout the winter or you can blanch and freeze the leaves.

Pigweed leaves are not edible nor good in salad, but their seeds are edible.

I think pigweed leaves can cause kidney stones due to a high content of oxalic acid. I wonder if the poor pigs can get kidney stones?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:36:04 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:18:59 PM »

Can you smoke it?

Yes, but can you smoke it?  If it is a type of hemp plant, there could be a bright side to this.

HEMP - Cannabis sativa - from which marijuana is derived is a different plant from pigweed.

PIGWEED comes from the Amaranthus, which includes tumbleweed.

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/pigweed.aspx

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »

From what I have read, pigweed is quite edible and was eaten my several Native American tribes.  It is a relative of spinach, and when young can be eaten just like spinach.  The seeds can be eaten or ground into flour.  The reason there is some question on the edibility of the plant is that it absorbs Nitrogen and may contain too much Nitrogen if it is allowed to grow on heavily cultivated fields.  If eaten when young, this should not be a problem.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »

From what I have read, pigweed is quite edible and was eaten my several Native American tribes.  It is a relative of spinach, and when young can be eaten just like spinach.  The seeds can be eaten or ground into flour.  The reason there is some question on the edibility of the plant is that it absorbs Nitrogen and may contain too much Nitrogen if it is allowed to grow on heavily cultivated fields.  If eaten when young, this should not be a problem.

If it is bitter tasting, do not eat it. That is usually a sign of too many nitrites. Yes, those can make cattle sick.

Steaming it and then tossing the water is one way of avoiding too much oxalic acid. My question remains about the poor pigs. They must suffer from agonizing kidney stones if they get too much oxalic acid.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »

My question remains about the poor pigs. They must suffer from agonizing kidney stones if they get too much oxalic acid.

If they are turned into bacon and ham like the should be, they should not live long enough to get kidney stones.  This is one of the reasons that I don't like fasting.  Nobody thinks of the poor pigs.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »

My question remains about the poor pigs. They must suffer from agonizing kidney stones if they get too much oxalic acid.

If they are turned into bacon and ham like the should be, they should not live long enough to get kidney stones.  This is one of the reasons that I don't like fasting.  Nobody thinks of the poor pigs.

The sow that is used as a baby pig generator is most likely to get kidney stones.

Today is Wednesday, so it is inevitable that ham and bacon get mentioned.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:47:07 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 02:09:48 AM »

Animals adapt to the content of plants. It is unlikely that they suffer at all eating foods that would make humans ill.

We eat stinging nettle here. Smiley
Tags: Monsanto 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: