OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 08:22:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massacre at Ligonier II? Archb. Demetrios being forced out a la Iakovos?  (Read 5520 times) Average Rating: 0
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »

that it is nigh impossible to understand the Christian faith if one does not know and use Greek and apply Greek or Hellenistic thought patterns...

The recovery of Orthodoxy's Hellenic-Patristic heritage has been one of the major achievements of many recent Orthodox theologians. In fact, it began because of a Russian, Fr. Georges Florovsky, who charted the course (in Russian!) in Putì Russkago Bogoslovija (The Path of Russian Theology). In it, he argues that all Russian Orthodox Christians should engage and challenge heterodoxy when they encounter it in the West, a task which requires them to know the "Hellenistic expression of Christianity" found in the first centuries, since such is essential to understanding the fullness of the Russian Orthodox tradition. Getting back to the Hellenic and Patristic roots was his proposed corrective to the Russian theology of the 19th century, which he argued was heavily influenced by German idealism, non-Patristic sources, and Roman Catholicism.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:39:18 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »

Moderator: Any thoughts about moving this "omogenia" discussion to its own topic?

I agree, it seems off topic to me. I would only add that coming from neither a Russian or Greek  background I have a problem fully understanding either concept. How does either really relate to the mission of our Faith in a modern, pluralistic society comprised of all races and religions?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:53:38 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »

I agree, it seems off topic to me.

Yes, it could be split off.

I would only add that coming from neither a Russian or Greek  background I have a problem fully understanding either concept.

Similar concepts exist in pretty much every Orthodox land. The Carpatho-Russians (and others from that area) might be the most prominent exception, for obvious reasons.

How does either really relate to the mission of our Faith in a modern, pluralistic society comprised of all races and religions?

The role of all religions -- and the nature of "identity" itself -- is uncertain and fluid in modern, pluralistic societies. Figuring out how to navigate these new waters with faithfulness to the Gospel and our Orthodox heritage is one of our greatest challenges.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:05:23 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »

If you visit the American Orthodox Institute web site, you will also find Greek-Americans boldly lamenting that the GOA is more into Greek nationalist aims than anything else.  I would start with the following article"Greek Ambassador: Hellenism and Orthodoxy is a foreign policy tool." http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2009/05/greek-ambassador-hellenism-and-orthodoxy-is-a-foreign-policy-tool/
That "institute" is such a propagandistic joke...
It's more like a tabloid Grin

Are you perhaps a bit ticked off?
Appeal from the Patriarch of Romania and a response
http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2010/04/appeal-from-the-patriarch-of-romania-and-a-response/
Or is it that the aoi is such a Met. Jonah fan club?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »

Only laudatory comments are allowed there. I tell you from my experience.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »

Only laudatory comments are allowed there. I tell you from my experience.

Are you the Mr. ALL CAPS? Huh

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 03:30:34 PM »

No. I've only attempted to comment once, but the ideological police didn't let the comment go through.
franthonyc

Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »

that it is nigh impossible to understand the Christian faith if one does not know and use Greek and apply Greek or Hellenistic thought patterns...

The recovery of Orthodoxy's Hellenic-Patristic heritage has been one of the major achievements of many recent Orthodox theologians. In fact, it began because of a Russian, Fr. Georges Florovsky, who charted the course (in Russian!) in Putì Russkago Bogoslovija (The Path of Russian Theology). In it, he argues that all Russian Orthodox Christians should engage and challenge heterodoxy when they encounter it in the West, a task which requires them to know the "Hellenistic expression of Christianity" found in the first centuries, since such is essential to understanding the fullness of the Russian Orthodox tradition. Getting back to the Hellenic and Patristic roots was his proposed corrective to the Russian theology of the 19th century, which he argued was heavily influenced by German idealism, non-Patristic sources, and Roman Catholicism.

Nice point. Smiley

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: