OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:03:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are icons different than the golden calf?  (Read 2929 times) Average Rating: 1
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »

Understood, Peter. Thank you.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »

Look, I can't argue with 20 people at once.

I'll just concede okay?

God said "Go ahead and bow down to images of Mary, saints, etc.,  and call your bishops master".   He fully recanted his own words and changed.

It's in the book of.... Well it's somewhere and it must just be because that's it.

He also told you directly to change all of his feasts, and that his only son Jesus Christ practiced his everlasting feasts at the wrong time, as well as his apostles.

It's in the book of.... Well it's somewhere and because Orthodoxy is the one true church and that's it.

You win.  I lose.

Unfortunately, I'm excommunicated already, via the forum, and via church cannon.  It applies to me because I worshiped with heretics before, but it does not apply to your own masters in ecumenism.

I'll go back into the tomb now, and pay my indulgences and homage to my pagan saints who are actually Christians because the church said so.

Hopefully at some time, I'll be re-united in the communion of the church, if my Holy master and bishop lets me.  He'll only do it if I bow down and pay homage to the precious and holy images of saints, gods, and metal castings.  But first I must confess to him and my erroneous ways of reading something called the bible, which I will put away.   After all the church wrote the entire bible, they should know.

If they could allow, I'd love to join them soon for Sunday worship, because the 4th commandment doesn't apply to me anymore, and Jesus, Paul, and others were all in error for preaching on such days as Sabbaths of all things.  Silly them.

Also, I can't wait to join the church once again for Passover (Pascha), which is no longer on everlasting Nisan 14, but the Sunday AFTER Nisan 14th, because Polycarp, the Apostles, Jesus,  and much of the Jewish history of the one true church was actually wrong.  Holy Christian St. Constantine made sure to keep it on the venerable day of the sun, which is correct, because he is Holy.   He had every right to execute his wife and son, and keep pagan Gods on his architecture and coins because he is St. Constantine the Great - and that's saying a lot.  Anybody who is great get's a free pass, and he is Eastern Orthodox, so it's even a greater free pass.

You guys got me, thanks for the education.  You win.

I gave you one idea about Exodus 25, you implied that even though God spoke out against murder, if He orders mass genocide, it's okay.  So if God ordered us to rebuild the temple with all the carved images of cherubim, and bow our heads before it, then by all means, that's fine, but EVERYTHING ELSE is wrong.

You are belligerent in your attacks against the Orthodox Church.  Don't you have any better ways of addressing the topic and asking?  If you really cared about our souls, would you barge in and claim us to be idol worshippers and disobedient to the Bible?

Give me a break. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:37:50 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »

Well, he's attacked an entire church, by saying the saints are really pagan.

Whether he wants to admit it or not, he's doing exactly what Alfred did:
Proselytizing. His last couple long posts should show you that, not to mention hundreds before it.

Maybe you enjoy hearing the saints called pagan. I don't.

You can do or not do whatever you want, but he's a terrible guest, at best.

By the way, no, he does not always engage other posters. See his refusal to answer Mor Ephrem's last question in this very thread.

I have a feeling the Church can handle Yeshuaisiam's accusations.

You mean we won't all be mass-converting to Anabaptist Messianic Judaism?

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen applicant
Jurisdiction: GOA I hope

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »

Proselytizing. His last couple long posts should show you that, not to mention hundreds before it.

By the way, no, he does not always engage other posters. See his refusal to answer Mor Ephrem's last question in this very thread.

Pseudo-Quasi-Anabaptist Messianic Judaism.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

A threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ec iv.12).

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »

Huh? The saints are pagan?

Why isn't he banned already? Alfred Persson is.

No my old self until my recent revelation believed some of the saints to be pagan.   But don't worry, I've conceded, and I'll be happy to venerate his all holiness St. Constantine the great now.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
kelly
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »

No my old self until my recent revelation believed some of the saints to be pagan.   But don't worry, I've conceded, and I'll be happy to venerate his all holiness St. Constantine the great now.

Welcome home, brother.

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

No you don't have to convert anymore.

See, I said the Jesus prayer 400 times (not in vanity) and it gave me enlightenment.   Those silly Messianic Jews anyway.... Who would have thought God meant what he said in his Torah anyway?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »

Welcome home, brother.

Thank you, I'll be confessing my heresies to my Holy spiritual father soon (as my witness).   I'll seek my Father's guidance in these matters.  I realize I was too stupid to read God's word.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »

See, I said the Jesus prayer 400 times (not in vanity) and it gave me enlightenment.   Those silly Messianic Jews anyway.... Who would have thought God meant what he said in his Torah anyway?

What he said to an ancient Semitic tribe entirely unrelated to you in kindred, place, or time? You're trying to intercept a pass (that's past) from the Most High.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »

Yes.  I'm the only one.

I made it up all by myself.  But then I found this.
http://www.mennoniteisrael.org/origin.cfm

I wasn't all alone, but wow was it strange.

I thought each had a half baked truth in it but virtually no history.... Boy was I wrong.  All I learned was a lie.  I'm ready to go to the WCC and make up with the Muslims and Tribals.  I'll ignore their loin cloth.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »

I'm ready to go to the WCC and make up with the Muslims and Tribals.  

Are you hurting?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
High Elder

« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2014, 09:07:36 PM »

Are you hurting?

u mad?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »

What he said to an ancient Semitic tribe entirely unrelated to you in kindred, place, or time? You're trying to intercept a pass (that's past) from the Most High.

Yes, his everlasting covenant and law was really just wrong anyway.  His divorce of Ephraim or gentiles (scattered and lost), doesn't apply to me.  I don't really know what Jesus meant when he came for the lost sheep.   After all, the law has been abolished, as well as the Sabbath Jesus worshiped on.  The church told me so, and God changed his mind in the book of... Wait, I'll get back to you on that soon.

Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »

I graduated from Eden Christian College, a Mennonite High School in Ontario, where a course was given on Mennonite history. The text we used has long ago disappeared from my library, but I distinctly remember reading that Mennonites are descendants of the Teutonic tribes in what is now Switzerland, Holland and Germany. A dictionary definition for Teuton is, “A member of a people speaking a language of the German branch of the Indo-European language family.” We should also recall that “Indo” refers to Ancient Persia, the subcontinent of India, and some other portions of the Near East. So just knowing that our past is Teutonic is a valuable clue to our ancient origin.
This cracked me up.

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »

Yes.  I'm the only one.

I thought each had a half baked truth in it but virtually no history.... Boy was I wrong.  All I learned was a lie.  I'm ready to go to the WCC and make up with the Muslims and Tribals.  I'll ignore their loin cloth.

I did not say you are the only nut in the tree. Try gaining membership from any traditional Amish or Mennonite bishop, however, and you'd be sent packing faster than you can say "How many pleats in a head covering?"

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2014, 09:13:06 PM »

Are you hurting?

No seriously to rejoin the church, I may as well go let the tribals in loin cloths pick up the antimens as I witnessed.  Nothing wrong with that.   If the Holy Patriarchs let it happen, it must be okay.

kelly
High Elder

« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2014, 09:15:42 PM »

Are you hurting?

No seriously to rejoin the church, I may as well go let the tribals in loin cloths pick up the antimens as I witnessed.  Nothing wrong with that.   If the Holy Patriarchs let it happen, it must be okay.

You have no intention of ever rejoining the Orthodox church, so just stop. Your posting history makes that clear. You're just here to try to prove us all wrong. I'd really like to know which church you think IS the true one since you don't belong to any outside of the one you run in your home.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »

Yes.  I'm the only one.

I did not say you are the only nut in the tree. Try gaining membership from any traditional Amish or Mennonite bishop, however, and you'd be sent packing faster than you can say "How many pleats in a head covering?"

Nah.  Why would I want that kind of tight community or lifestyle?  Silly Amish with funny beards.  War is better anyway.

The traditional Amish are the true Amish.  The traditional Mennonites are the True Mennonites.  The Roman Catholic church is the True Church.   But we all know the real truth, the Eastern Orthodox church is the one true church.... But the GENUINE Orthodox chruch, is REALLY the true church.  But the Genuine Orthodox of the Genuine Orthodox church is even more of the true church.

Me - I'm the REAL Eastern Orthodox Christian.  My calendar is better, I bow lower, and my falafel tastes better.    (okay, despite sarcasm, falafel is really insane good)

You are right, they'd send me packing quick.

I've lost everything in my pursuit of truth, except the word of God.   Adherence to the word doesn't make one popular.  What I've found is a complete scripture in its entirety.  The New Testament completes the old.  It's just not popular.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »

Are you hurting?

I know you probably think my question is rhetorical or meant to make fun of you, but it is not.  I haven't read all previous threads in part, let alone thoroughly, but I've seen enough references to something you witnessed at a WCC event leading you away from Orthodoxy (and you refer to it above)...I'm wondering if it traumatised you so much that your anti-Orthodoxy is less out of conviction and more out of pain.  

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2014, 09:24:43 PM »

Yes, his everlasting covenant and law was really just wrong anyway.  His divorce of Ephraim or gentiles (scattered and lost), doesn't apply to me.  I don't really know what Jesus meant when he came for the lost sheep.   After all, the law has been abolished, as well as the Sabbath Jesus worshiped on.  The church told me so, and God changed his mind in the book of... Wait, I'll get back to you on that soon.

Well on that we can heartily agree.

Moses was given to Israel. God's law as eternal truth is hardly identical to Moses--even Israel's prophets knew that. Christ incarnate was awarded to Israel, I mean to say, to come through Israel, for their forefathers' faithfulness compared to other men. However, yes, as you mockingly accede, he came for the rescue of all men--and as a result the Church is beyond all this categorization, a kingdom of no tribe but of Heaven. It is pleasing to God that the Greeks and Romans and Syrians and Egyptians and Ethiopians and Indians and Germans and Slavs came to compose the vast majority of the Church. This is his eternal covenant, in the very process of persisting eternal. And to assert otherwise, you must ignore not only the forefathers of Christianity but the Sermon on the Mount, the Acts, the Epistles, and even the Hebrew prophets. You must also ignore the millions of the faithful who fill this world beside you, you must contemn them, and this is not a spirit after God.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2014, 09:29:46 PM »

The freedom that the Amish enjoy to be pacifist, at least in the United States, comes from the fact that they are protected by the military, which the rest of us have to work and pay for.

I read in National Geographic once that there's only one country that's never had a war: that's the island of Tonga. So that means the rest of the people in the world have had to defend themselves at least once.

Want to make fun of those who protect you, Yesh? Go to a military base and do that. I bet you're brave enough.

Or, you can just play pretend anti-technology while you type at a computer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:30:51 PM by biro » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »

Are you hurting?

You have no intention of ever rejoining the Orthodox church, so just stop. Your posting history makes that clear. You're just here to try to prove us all wrong. I'd really like to know which church you think IS the true one since you don't belong to any outside of the one you run in your home.

The true church is the one that follows and keeps God's commandments.  I butt heads with each faith as many hold strands of truth in comparison to early Christianity.

I have agreements in some aspects with Orthodoxy, but Orthodoxy is an all or none package.

Icons are so important to the Orthodox Christians and bishops, they would deny me the Eucharist unless I bowed before them.

Unfortunately, it's all or none.  Too bad really.   Despite ALL the "theological arguments" I've made, most centers on mere DOGMA incepted by man.

Examples:
Jesus Prayer
Icons & beamed up veneration
Feasts of Pagans
Reference to clergy as Father and Master
Sunday worship ("venerable day of the Sun" - Constantine)

What you don't see:
Me dissing the beautiful psalms sung
Me dissing the scriptures read
Me dissing the Eucharist

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

I've lost everything in my pursuit of truth, except the word of God.   Adherence to the word doesn't make one popular.  What I've found is a complete scripture in its entirety.  The New Testament completes the old.  It's just not popular.

Yes, friend, you have been broken and divided and deranged by your pursuit. I know it well, from my own story. But that is not God's will for you. "Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

kelly
High Elder

« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »

Are you hurting?

The true church is the one that follows and keeps God's commandments.  I butt heads with each faith as many hold strands of truth in comparison to early Christianity.

I have agreements in some aspects with Orthodoxy, but Orthodoxy is an all or none package.

Icons are so important to the Orthodox Christians and bishops, they would deny me the Eucharist unless I bowed before them.

Unfortunately, it's all or none.  Too bad really.   Despite ALL the "theological arguments" I've made, most centers on mere DOGMA incepted by man.

Examples:
Jesus Prayer
Feasts of Pagans

What you don't see:
Me dissing the Eucharist

So which church is true? You didn't answer.

You're an island unto yourself.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:34:08 PM by kelly » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »

The freedom that the Amish enjoy to be pacifist, at least in the United States, comes from the fact that they are protected by the military, which the rest of us have to work and pay for.

I read in National Geographic once that there's only one country that's never had a war: that's the island of Tonga. So that means the rest of the people in the world have had to defend themselves at least once.

Want to make fun of those who protect you, Yesh? Go to a military base and do that. I bet you're brave enough.

Or, you can just play pretend anti-technology while you type at a computer.
This is why the Anabaptists were slaughtered by the Roman Catholic church (mostly) and Protestants.  I've even posted the prayer the Roman Catholics said above the hot iron before they scorched the Anabaptists with it.

They were not concerned about their freedom or rights as you think (willing to fight for them).  Rather they allowed themselves to be Martyred.    They fled (not fought), to America and other places to escape persecution.

It was never the military which allowed them to thrive or have beliefs.

I'm convinced based on their history that they would worship whether or not "the military gave them freedom to do so".

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

Are you hurting?

Examples:
Jesus Prayer
Feasts of Pagans

What you don't see:
Me dissing the Eucharist

Hopefully Tonga.

Do you want the specific name of the church?

I'm still trying to find in the scriptures the specific name.

kelly
High Elder

« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »

Are you hurting?

Examples:
Jesus Prayer
Feasts of Pagans

What you don't see:
Me dissing the Eucharist

Hopefully Tonga.

Do you want the specific name of the church?

I'm still trying to find in the scriptures the specific name.

.... Nevermind.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »

The freedom that the Amish enjoy to be pacifist, at least in the United States, comes from the fact that they are protected by the military, which the rest of us have to work and pay for. ...

Hardly. Wherever they have lived, they have never defended themselves, since 1520s. In point of fact, they were sometimes driven into warzones (in the Palatinate during the Thirty Years', in Virginia during the American Civil) and died in droves under cannon fire, and they were often moved into wartorn regions no one else could farm. If anything, it could be argued that "American freedom" derives from them, since the Anabaptist commitment to die rather than obey the State sent shockwaves throughout Europe and in some cases (Holland, Poland, some American colonies) was even the direct driver of decisions to allow freedom of religion.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2014, 09:39:17 PM »

The Jesus Prayer is from the Bible. "Jesus, son of David, have mercy on me." Also there's the prayer of the Publican, who went away justified, instead of the Pharisee.

We worship on Sunday because that's the day of the Resurrection. I guess Moses is more important to you than Jesus.

St. Paul referred to himself as a spiritual father.

We do not celebrate pagan anything.

The word pagan means polytheist, which we are not. Don't throw around words of which you don't know the meaning.

The fact that you smear St. Constantine but accept St. Paul proves that you believe in neither baptism, nor repentance, nor forgiveness. See, Paul, when he was Saul, killed Christians too. But he repented and was forgiven. So did Constantine, which is why we call him a saint too.

Yesh, you really have made your own Frankenstein church out of body parts. The trouble is, yours exists nowhere outside of you.

Didyma

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

A Peregrine Mariner

« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »

Who's tired of seeing this thread? (0-0)/)

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »

Yes, friend, you have been broken and divided and deranged by your pursuit. I know it well, from my own story. But that is not God's will for you. "Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

That's assuming the church will give you that.

I look at it more like:
Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

kelly
High Elder

« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »

I'm tired of seeing Orthodoxy disparaged on a public Orthodox forum.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »

The freedom that the Amish enjoy to be pacifist, at least in the United States, comes from the fact that they are protected by the military, which the rest of us have to work and pay for. ...

Hardly. Wherever they have lived, they have never defended themselves, since 1520s. In point of fact, they were sometimes driven into warzones (in the Palatinate during the Thirty Years', in Virginia during the American Civil) and died in droves under cannon fire, and they were often moved into wartorn regions no one else could farm. If anything, it could be argued that "American freedom" derives from them, since the Anabaptist commitment to die rather than obey the State sent shockwaves throughout Europe and in some cases (Holland, Poland, some American colonies) was even the direct driver of decisions to allow freedom of religion.

That's funny. Could have sworn the Amish don't go into military service, but my Dad, who is Catholic, did.

Guess Dad faked all those pictures he has from back then.

Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:56 PM »

I was tired at post 3  Tongue
so I tagged it "dead horse" and "Second Council of Nicea"...but nobody reads the tags  Embarrassed

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »

Hear, hear.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »

That's funny. Could have sworn the Amish don't go into military service, but my Dad, who is Catholic, did.

::whoosh::

There's more than one way to contest for freedom. I don't expect you to have been in possession of that rather obscure fact, and I don't insist the non-resistant way is the right way or the effectual way. But now you know.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:47:01 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:16 PM »

Yeshuaisiam, forget everyone else's replies.  If you're so bogged down by 20+ people, at least read Mor's questions who you ignored most of the time.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:45:43 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »

If it's all the same to you... nah, I'll save what I was going to say. Wish I still had my dog.

SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »

I'm still waiting to hear Yesh talk about his 2 'Gods' and his quadist faith....

He said he worshiped: "God of the Father" - meaning that there's a God, a Father ('God?'), a Son and a Holy Spirit - 4 elements, rather than 3.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »

The Jesus Prayer is from the Bible. "Jesus, son of David, have mercy on me." Also there's the prayer of the Publican, who went away justified, instead of the Pharisee.

We worship on Sunday because that's the day of the Resurrection. I guess Moses is more important to you than Jesus.

St. Paul referred to himself as a spiritual father.

We do not celebrate pagan anything.

The word pagan means polytheist, which we are not. Don't throw around words of which you don't know the meaning.

The fact that you smear St. Constantine but accept St. Paul proves that you believe in neither baptism, nor repentance, nor forgiveness. See, Paul, when he was Saul, killed Christians too. But he repented and was forgiven. So did Constantine, which is why we call him a saint too.

Yesh, you really have made your own Frankenstein church out of body parts. The trouble is, yours exists nowhere outside of you.

So twisted.

Jesus kept the Sabbath as did the apostles.   Constantine officially changed it.  Moses is not more important than Jesus, but recorded God's word in the Torah.  The Torah is everlasting.  Jesus came not to abolish the law, but fulfilled it.  Remember the story of the adulterous woman?  Jesus did not abolish the law, in fact he gave permission to stone her - "who is without sin cast the first stone".  (Fulfilled)

The feasts Moses dictated from the word of God were also everlasting.  Your own St. Polycarp kept passover.

Constantine was a sun worshipper.  He kept the sun God "sol-invictus" on his coins after his supposed conversion.   After Nicea, he murdered hundreds of thousands of people for imperialism.   Also his arch depicts Mithra.   He was a Roman Polytheist.   If I could describe my opinion after hours of worship, stick Christianity and Mithraism in a blender and you get Constantine's church.

St. Paul referred to himself in a paternal sense of the use of Father using birth.  Far different than "Holy Father".  This is also once again an avoidance of calling your bishop "Master" which is against God's command. (I seriously do not comprehend how you people simply can't understand this)

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »

I'm still waiting to hear Yesh talk about his 2 'Gods' and his quadist faith....

He said he worshiped: "God of the Father" - meaning that there's a God, a Father ('God?'), a Son and a Holy Spirit - 4 elements, rather than 3.

Clarify, (don't know the thread or if type o)

I worship the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  They are God and one.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »

The issue here is more one of 'I will set the bar to something I know they can't prove, thus feel vindicated when they can't prove it per my standards'

The reason for all this is not concern for our souls, but rather for his.

If we are 'wrong' he does not have to feel uncertainty about his soul and what comes after death.
Fear is a terrible thing.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

::whoosh::

There's more than one way to contest for freedom. I don't expect you to have been in possession of that rather obscure fact, and I don't insist the non-resistant way is the right way or the effectual way. But now you know.

I did know that, and I don't agree with your claim. We had two wars with the British for a reason. We fought the Nazis and won for a reason. The day you hear about lots of Amish joining the Army, let me know. Until then, I'll stick with my Dad.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »

Worse than Odox acting disparagingly in a public forum?

Do we have an official internet Confessor yet?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »

1 Peter 2:18, Ephesians 6:5, Colossians 3:22

I don't site these in support of slavery, but in contradiction to your claim not to call anyone on earth master.  Clearly in a slave/master culture, if you didn't show respect and call your master "Master", this was a disrespect.

Masters and fathers are those who lead you to Christ, as you conceded in the other thread.  It is enough that we have such love and reverence for our clergy that we willingly call them masters and fathers.  No one asked you to do so when you meet them face to face.  I know a bishop who does not call himself master or bishop, but Demetrius, "servant of God".  He's humble, but I still call him "Master" because he leads me to Christ.

Tags: Second Council of Nicea anabaptist Iconoclasm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: