OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:48:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RC - So... Canonizations... Infallible or not?  (Read 364 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »

Isa,

You might enjoy this.  Wink

Is the Pope infallible when he proclaims a new saint?

According to the prevailing doctrine of the Church, when the Pope canonizes a saint his judgment is infallible. As is known, canonization is the decree with which the Pope solemnly proclaims that the heavenly glory shines upon the Blessed and extends the cult of the new saint to the universal Church in a binding and definitive manner. There is no question then that canonization is an act carried out by the Petrine primate. At the same time, however, it should not be considered infallible according to the infallibility criteria set out in the First Vatican Council’s dogmatic constitution “Pastor aeternus”.

So, according to you, this means the Pope can make a mistake when he proclaims someone a saint?

That’s not what I said. I am not denying that the decree issued for a canonization cause is definitive, so it would be rash and indeed unholy to state that the Pope can make a mistake. What I am saying, is that the proclamation of a person’s sainthood is not a truth of faith because it is not a dogmatic definition and is not directly or explicitly linked to a truth of faith or a moral truth contained in the revelation, but is only indirectly linked to this. It is no coincidence that neither the Code of Canon Law of 1917 nor the one currently in force, nor the Catechism of the Catholic Church present the Church’s doctrine regarding canonizations.”

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/07/so-canonizations-infallible-or-not.html

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »

The Pope is doubly infallible now? Maybe there are degrees of infallibility.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:11:05 PM »

Isa,

According to the prevailing doctrine of the Church, when the Pope canonizes a saint his judgment is infallible. As is known, canonization is the decree with which the Pope solemnly proclaims that the heavenly glory shines upon the Blessed and extends the cult of the new saint to the universal Church in a binding and definitive manner. There is no question then that canonization is an act carried out by the Petrine primate. At the same time, however, it should not be considered infallible according to the infallibility criteria set out in the First Vatican Council’s dogmatic constitution “Pastor aeternus”.

So, according to you, this means the Pope can make a mistake when he proclaims someone a saint?

That’s not what I said. I am not denying that the decree issued for a canonization cause is definitive, so it would be rash and indeed unholy to state that the Pope can make a mistake. What I am saying, is that the proclamation of a person’s sainthood is not a truth of faith because it is not a dogmatic definition and is not directly or explicitly linked to a truth of faith or a moral truth contained in the revelation, but is only indirectly linked to this. It is no coincidence that neither the Code of Canon Law of 1917 nor the one currently in force, nor the Catechism of the Catholic Church present the Church’s doctrine regarding canonizations.”

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/07/so-canonizations-infallible-or-not.html

So, the Pope can't make a mistake (meaning the canonization must be true), but the faithful are not required to believe the Pope?

Kinda sounds like how most Catholics view contraception.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »

Isa,

So, the Pope can't make a mistake (meaning the canonization must be true), but the faithful are not required to believe the Pope?

It's different when it's about sex.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:23:52 PM »

Isa,

Well, I'm glad they cleared that up as only the Vatican and its most ardent supporters can. laugh

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:40:28 PM »

Isa,

Oy vey. Roll Eyes  And folks wonder why the Catholic Church is such a mess.  Or...(dare I say?) if it is really the Catholic Church. Shocked

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »

Isa,

It's different when it's about sex.

Most things are different when it's about sex. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »

For Peter J: there is low infallibility, high infallibility and absolutist infallibility.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
gueranger
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »

For Peter J: there is low infallibility, high infallibility and absolutist infallibility.

In Christ,
Andrew

LOL.

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
gueranger
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 11:23:42 AM »

I think this is an example of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
sakura95
Love Live School Idol Festival noob :(
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Deciding between Coptic and Greek Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Constaninople and Alexandria

Good Morning OC Net (。・ω・)ノ゙

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

The first response rather contradicts itself, it says that the Pope is infallible when Canonizing Saints and then after that, "Not Infallible" which then leads to the disclaim that His Holiness "cannot make a mistake". This practically renders Papal Infallibility as illogical as a Pope cannot be "Infallible" and then "Fallible" at the same time or when "Canonizing Saints". This is simply akin to me saying that I'm "happy" and then at the same time, "not happy". It simply doesn't make sense.

Admittedly, I used to believe and even defended this Doctrine in a discussion about Roman Catholicism with some Protestant lecturers in college before.

Lord Have Mercy on my weak and doubtful soul
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:32 PM »

The first response rather contradicts itself, it says that the Pope is infallible when Canonizing Saints and then after that, "Not Infallible" which then leads to the disclaim that His Holiness "cannot make a mistake". This practically renders Papal Infallibility as illogical as a Pope cannot be "Infallible" and then "Fallible" at the same time or when "Canonizing Saints". This is simply akin to me saying that I'm "happy" and then at the same time, "not happy". It simply doesn't make sense.

Admittedly, I used to believe and even defended this Doctrine in a discussion about Roman Catholicism with some Protestant lecturers in college before.
I wonder, do we have Schrödinger's cathedra?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 12:10:26 PM »

If you ask me, that blog, being near-schismatic traditionalist, is fishing for loopholes not to venerate St. John Paul II  Wink

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »

If you ask me, that blog, being near-schismatic traditionalist, is fishing for loopholes not to venerate St. John Paul II  Wink

The comment above reflects a strain of Roman Catholicism which I find distasteful, whether it is an expression of "legitimate" RCism or of another school within it.  According to this line of thinking, Roman Catholicism is whatever the reigning Pope says and does, and as long as you remain in communion (and not out of it, like the SSPV or those women who go and get ordained on boats), you can get away with almost anything.  "Almost", because it's easier to fall out of favour for going too far to the right than it is in the other direction.   

Put another way, what about all the near-schismatic liberals fishing for loopholes not to recognise the old Roman liturgy, Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, etc.? 

sakura95
Love Live School Idol Festival noob :(
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Deciding between Coptic and Greek Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Constaninople and Alexandria

Good Morning OC Net (。・ω・)ノ゙

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »

I wonder, do we have Schrödinger's cathedra?

Now all we need is just a big box to put the Pope in each time he is going to Canonize new Saints or make a decree, close it and then open it again to see whether the Pope is infallible or not.

Lord Have Mercy on my weak and doubtful soul
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: