OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:13:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We have moved, are at a critical spiritual point, and crave your prayers  (Read 655 times) Average Rating: 0
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« on: July 07, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »

My family and I have at last found the place we'll be living permanently (Eugene, Ore.). As long as Bonnie was still in school, we knew we wouldn't be in that area for much longer and put off applying to the catechumenate. But now we are settled and able to move forward with the Church's permission.

The Greek Orthodox church here is different enough from the one we'd been attending that we felt a little unnerved. We haven't had a chance to meet Father personally, as he's in Philadelphia for a few weeks at the biennial conference.

All in all, this time feels pregnant and we feel unequal. So thank you for your prayers.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »

My family and I have at last found the place we'll be living permanently (Eugene, Ore.). As long as Bonnie was still in school, we knew we wouldn't be in that area for much longer and put off applying to the catechumenate. But now we are settled and able to move forward with the Church's permission.

The Greek Orthodox church here is different enough from the one we'd been attending that we felt a little unnerved. We haven't had a chance to meet Father personally, as he's in Philadelphia for a few weeks at the biennial conference.

All in all, this time feels pregnant and we feel unequal. So thank you for your prayers.

My prayers.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Porter and his family.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:34:17 PM »

Lord have mercy.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:36:15 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant and his family.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:42 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 03:51:05 AM »

At this point my wife is interested in the Serbian church in another part of town. I'm not worried, as it's all Eastern Orthodoxy, and God will have his way; but I'm a little stressed by the situation overall and it's good to know you're praying.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 05:15:58 AM »

Lord have mercy.
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:00:22 AM »

Meet with both priests, pick their brains, get a feel for the congregations. Then decide which one you will call home. I would say still visit the runner up though on minor feasts and what not, because I am a big proponent of visiting sister churches. Lord have mercy.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »

Thanks, CopticDeacon. I've long felt a commitment to Greek Orthodoxy -- don't ask me to explain why -- and things in Portland were going so swimmingly -- *shrug* I just feel a little disoriented by this change. But I know as long as we're accepted into the Church, that's all we really need and want. Your advice is sound.

Interestingly, the two churches here are much more alike than you might guess. Both comprise almost all converts of no particular background, both are quite small. The Serbian church has no Serbians ...

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

Since they're on different calendars, you can take an opportunity to see how the two churches handle the same event. Transfiguration and Dormition are both in the next month.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »

Praying you find the perfect church home for you and your family.

Remember, main point - joining the Church.  You can still switch parishes, etc.

Try them all out, talk with priests, attend services, etc.  Take your time in choosing a parish...just don't delay joining the Church.

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »

Thanks, CopticDeacon. I've long felt a commitment to Greek Orthodoxy -- don't ask me to explain why -- and things in Portland were going so swimmingly -- *shrug* I just feel a little disoriented by this change. But I know as long as we're accepted into the Church, that's all we really need and want. Your advice is sound.

Interestingly, the two churches here are much more alike than you might guess. Both comprise almost all converts of no particular background, both are quite small. The Serbian church has no Serbians ...

The West contains interesting mixtures: a Serbian parish with no ethnic Serbians, and a few miles away in Corvallis, an OCA Church that holds an annual Greek festival. Enjoy the diversity!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 02:10:32 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Any updates?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »

Thanks for asking, Maria! We've been accepted to the catechumenate at the Greek parish and are enjoying some visits to the Serbian. Smiley

Thanks everyone -- with your prayers, and the prayers of the Church and our priest, we are feeling an abundance of joy and blessing as we take these steps toward marriage with the Lamb.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »

Thanks for asking, Maria! We've been accepted to the catechumenate at the Greek parish and are enjoying some visits to the Serbian. Smiley

Thanks everyone -- with your prayers, and the prayers of the Church and our priest, we are feeling an abundance of joy and blessing as we take these steps toward marriage with the Lamb.

Praise the Lord!

God grant you many years!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »

Wonderful news, Porter! May God grant you and your family many years.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

Serbs are a lot like slavic speaking Greeks.  Lord have Mercy.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »

Congratulations. Glory to God.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »

Good to hear. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: