OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 01:40:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'better to smoke marijuana than to discriminate against the Blacks'  (Read 402 times) Average Rating: 0
Sirach
Elder

Just trying to learn something.

« on: July 07, 2014, 03:09:23 AM »

"I remember that my parents left the RCC about that time for several reasons one of which was a Catholic Bishop who said it was better to smoke marijuana than to discriminate against the Blacks. As a result, several of their close friends were arrested for smoking pot. So, they joined the Baptist Church, but I chose to remain in the "pot-smoking RCC," as that is what my parents called it.  Roll Eyes To this day, I do not know if it were birth control or pot or both which made my parents leave."

Maria,

I didn't want to derail the thread you said this in, but - having some Baptist and Catholic sympathies in my background - I wonder if you would mind expanding on this. 

In particular, what did the Catholic Bishop mean?  As written it could be understood as him saying, "Both of these are bad choices, but if these were the only choices then smoking pot is a better choice than racial discrimination."  Not sure how that morphs into people thinking it is O.K. to smoke pot. 

Your thoughts?

Source. OrthodoxChristianity.Net
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »

"I remember that my parents left the RCC about that time for several reasons one of which was a Catholic Bishop who said it was better to smoke marijuana than to discriminate against the Blacks. As a result, several of their close friends were arrested for smoking pot. So, they joined the Baptist Church, but I chose to remain in the "pot-smoking RCC," as that is what my parents called it.  Roll Eyes To this day, I do not know if it were birth control or pot or both which made my parents leave."

Maria,

I didn't want to derail the thread you said this in, but - having some Baptist and Catholic sympathies in my background - I wonder if you would mind expanding on this.  

In particular, what did the Catholic Bishop mean?  As written it could be understood as him saying, "Both of these are bad choices, but if these were the only choices then smoking pot is a better choice than racial discrimination."  Not sure how that morphs into people thinking it is O.K. to smoke pot.  

Your thoughts?

Source. OrthodoxChristianity.Net

It was the Roman Catholic Bishop of Oakland who had made that statement back in the late 1960s. I did not hear that sermon or read the published account of it. A few years later, my parents had left the Catholic Church, but I could tell that sometime was eating away at them beforehand, and I was trying to understand their thinking. Apparently, in a move to a new diocese, they encountered another Roman Catholic Bishop who had made a similar statement at my sister's confirmation ceremony. That was the last straw.  After my parents and my other siblings had joined that Baptist Church without notifying me, and were re-baptized secretly in that Baptist Church while I was attending a Catholic boarding school, they accused me of being disobedient when I refused to join them at that church while on vacation. They were hoping that I would be baptized there too, and all their new church friends eagerly greeted me in anticipation. What a set-up.

I mentioned that St. Thomas More is our ancestor, and that I could not disobey God by denouncing the Catholic Church and accepting a re-baptism at the hands of a non-Catholic minister who did not have any apostolic succession whatsoever.

Incidentally, many years later when my husband and I were received into the Orthodox Church, just before we recited the Nicene Creed, the priest stressed that we were being received into the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. This was very comforting. We were not leaving the Catholic Church, but were fully embracing the One Holy Catholic and Orthodox Apostolic Church.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:58:35 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Sirach
Elder

Just trying to learn something.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »

Thanks for the additional info.

I still don't see how one could take the bishop's statement as a positive endorsement for smoking dope, but I suppose any further clarification would have to come from your parents.

Thanks, again.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »

Thanks for the additional info.

I still don't see how one could take the bishop's statement as a positive endorsement for smoking dope, but I suppose any further clarification would have to come from your parents.

Thanks, again.

At OC.net, this topic was previously discussed. I tried a search, but only this thread was displayed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:53:31 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »

Well, it's certainly better to reduce pain than to discriminate against minorities:

"Social and physical pain share common overlap at linguistic, behavioral, and neural levels. Prior research has shown that acetaminophen—an analgesic medication that acts indirectly through cannabinoid 1 receptors—reduces the social pain associated with exclusion. Yet, no work has examined if other drugs that act on similar receptors, such as marijuana, also reduce social pain. Across four methodologically diverse samples, marijuana use consistently buffered people from the negative consequences associated with loneliness and social exclusion."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:54:22 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »

Well, it's certainly better to reduce pain than to discriminate against minorities:

"Social and physical pain share common overlap at linguistic, behavioral, and neural levels. Prior research has shown that acetaminophen—an analgesic medication that acts indirectly through cannabinoid 1 receptors—reduces the social pain associated with exclusion. Yet, no work has examined if other drugs that act on similar receptors, such as marijuana, also reduce social pain. Across four methodologically diverse samples, marijuana use consistently buffered people from the negative consequences associated with loneliness and social exclusion."

That is a novel concept, self-medicate to attain happiness, or eschew unhappiness, through chemicals! Shall we count the chemicals? Alcohol, nicotine, opioids, THC, etc, etc, etc (as said good old Yul). /s

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:17:55 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »

That is a novel concept, self-medicate to attain happiness

Is that so?

Macbeth:

Canst thou not minister to a mind diseased,
Pluck from the memory a rooted sorrow,
Raze out the written troubles of the brain
And with some sweet oblivious antidote
Cleanse the stuffed bosom of that perilous stuff
Which weighs upon the heart?

Doctor:

Therein the patient
Must minister to himself.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »

This is a similar situation to the one here http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,59916.0.html  , where we have to acknowledge a hierarchy of seriousness of the sin.

"Discrimination" is an umbrella term that includes different problems. From someone who dislikes a group but let them be to outright persecutors.

Another factor is that to discriminate is the action of making distinctions. If you allow only people with grades A, B and C to pass, you are discriminating agains D, E and F and that is good discrimination.

The social connotation the word has acquired is that sometimes people make discriminations that are not related to reality. A person's color or sex cannot predict character or competence. Culture, on the other hand, although not determinant, seems to be a strong influencer (as controversial as this can be).

I would say that is is worse to harm one's own body that to simply not like a group or have misconceptions about them. If these misconceptions actually harm the other or if the person actively persecutes someone that should not be persecuted than obviously it is worse than harming yourself.

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:31 PM »

It is all a matter of degrees. I would rather smoke pot than make bombs for the KKK (I have been asked to do both in my lifetime, and I have said no to both). On the other hand, I have made a few colored jokes. I never considered it discrimination since I laughed just as hard at their cracker jokes.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: