Author Topic: Resignation of Metropolitan Constantine of Baghdad and Kuwait accepted  (Read 3526 times)

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
The official English translation of the decisions of the last session of the Holy Synod of the Church of Antioch is yet to come, but besides electing a new Metropolitan of North America, the Holy Synod accepted the resignation of Metropolitan Constantine (Papastephanou) of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies and reorganized the Archdiocese as follows:

1. Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies, covering Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Oman.
2. Patriarchal Vicariate of Bahrain
3. Patriarchal Vicariate of Qatar
4. Patriarchal Vicariate of the UAE.

Such a decision seems reasonable, but it is surprising that they created a vicariate of Qatar, since they actually have no presence there. It would be interesting to see what the relations between the new Patriarchal Vicariate of Qatar (Antioch) and the Archdiocese of Qatar (Jerusalem) would be.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:40:45 AM by ag_vn »

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
Why did he resign
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
It would be interesting to see what the relations between the new Patriarchal Vicariate of Qatar (Antioch) and the Archdiocese of Qatar (Jerusalem) would be
I think we know the answer:

They'll get along swimmingly

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • J'√©tais insens√©.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Tous.
Why did he resign

He's in his 90s - one can't help wondering why he didn't resign sooner. It's got to be a stressful position, being the diocesan metropolitan for a country (er, "country") like Iraq.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
Why did he resign

He's in his 90s - one can't help wondering why he didn't resign sooner. It's got to be a stressful position, being the diocesan metropolitan for a country (er, "country") like Iraq.

oh! ok thanks
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline frjohnmorris

• OC.net guru
The official English translation of the decisions of the last session of the Holy Synod of the Church of Antioch is yet to come, but besides electing a new Metropolitan of North America, the Holy Synod accepted the resignation of Metropolitan Constantine (Papastephanou) of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies and reorganized the Archdiocese as follows:

1. Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies, covering Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Oman.

Such a decision seems reasonable, but it is surprising that they created a vicariate of Qatar, since they actually have no presence there. It would be interesting to see what the relations between the new Patriarchal Vicariate of Qatar (Antioch) and the Archdiocese of Qatar (Jerusalem) would be.

Qatar is in the historical canonical territory of Antioch as defined by the Council of Chalcedon. Jerusalem was wrong to violate the canonical territory of Antioch by establishing a parish in Qatar in the first place. Jerusalem only compounded its wrong by consecrating a Bishop for Qatar.

Fr. John W. Morris.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston

Qatar is in the historical canonical territory of Antioch as defined by the Council of Chalcedon. Jerusalem was wrong to violate the canonical territory of Antioch by establishing a parish in Qatar in the first place. Jerusalem only compounded its wrong by consecrating a Bishop for Qatar.

Fr. John W. Morris.
My question, father, is why? Whats the big deal? Why would Jerusalem even care about Qatar?

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline frjohnmorris

• OC.net guru

Fr. John W. Morris.
My question, father, is why? Whats the big deal? Why would Jerusalem even care about Qatar?

PP

I do not know why Jerusalem cares about Qatar. I do know, however, that Qatar s in the canonical territory of the Patriarchate of Antioch. It is uncanonical for one autocephalous Church to establish a parish, much less an Archdiocese within the canonical territory of another autocephalous Church. Antioch is right to protest the invasion of its canonical territory by Jerusalem.

Fr. John.

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Resignation of Metropolitan Constantine of Baghdad and Kuwait accepted
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:39:34 AM »

Fr. John W. Morris.

PP

I do not know why Jerusalem cares about Qatar. I do know, however, that Qatar s in the canonical territory of the Patriarchate of Antioch. It is uncanonical for one autocephalous Church to establish a parish, much less an Archdiocese within the canonical territory of another autocephalous Church. Antioch is right to protest the invasion of its canonical territory by Jerusalem.

Fr. John.

One of the founders of the Qatar parish, Father John, was a Greek-American Patrick N. Theros, who was the U.S. Ambassador to Qatar during the Clinton Administration. The church was founded in that era. Now retired from a long tenure in the U.S. Foreign Service, Theros is currently President of the U.S.-Qatar Business Council. (I only know this because he is a columnist in "The National Herald.")

The first priest of the parish was the current Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III.

I feel the Jerusalem Patriarchate's encroachment upon the Antiochian Patriarchate's territory of Qatar is abusive, but I'm just noting some of the circumstances that would seem to explain the Jerusalem Patriarchate's adamant behavior in this matter. I suspect financial support from Mr. Theros and/or his "Business Council" could be playing a role in this matter too.

I can't see why a resolution of this matter can't be effected by Jerusalem requesting the Antiochian Patriarchate's permission for a "Metochion"  (Representation Church) in Qatar. The Archdiocese can be dissolved and the Archbishop can be "transferred" to an "inactive" titular see and remain the Choroepiscopos, the "Bishop of the Community."  Just my thought.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:41:10 AM by Basil 320 »
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."