OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:10:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pokrov.org  (Read 1343 times) Average Rating: 0
jmell

OC.net

« on: April 23, 2005, 11:40:30 AM »

Hello,

I just was wondering what people knew about this website, the history, etc...It seems like a good thing, but there is alot of talking down to them on certain mailing list from clergy.

Thanks.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 01:34:10 AM »

The Pokrov.org has as a basis a good idea---that of providing support to those survivors of sexual abuse by clergy. The ideals of the group are admirable, however regretfully, their presentation of issues has often been schewed and shows that their own personal issues that have not yet been resolved.

Some of the problems that I note on the site are as follow:
1---the site is anti-monastic and seems to infer that our celibate clergy should be watched carefully as they have a chance of being sexual predators
2---the site fails to recognize the belief in Orthodoxy that people can repent and begin a new life through repentance in Christ--in other words they seem to be seeking revenge and retribution rather than healing and salvation for all parties.
3---the site presents traditional monastic models like that of Elder Ephriam's Monasteries und the GOA as cultioc and "un-American"
4---Recently, they seem to have expanded their site to include orthodox "cultism" of which monasticism is just a portion, they often focus on the non-canonical jurisdictions as hotbeds of sexual predators and charismatic ultism.

While I applaud their support for the victims of sexual abuse in the Church, I am concerned about their appropriateness at times, their disrespect to the Hierarchs of the Church, and their often one-sided presentation of a story.| I agree with them that a clergyman who has been guilty of sexual abuse of children, members of his parish, or other people should be deposed, yet we must still be willing to accept the repentant sinner back into the church---Pokrov leaves the distinct impression that there is no place for them in the church even as a member of the Laity, and offers no solution as to how to reincorporate them into the church while assuring safety to the victim.

Any ideas on that?

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 01:47:24 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 03:26:30 AM »

As Thomas said, to put it mildly.  While meaning well, the owners of pokrov.org unfortunately act as vigilantes.  Read their site with a small salt lick.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: