OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 10:28:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women  (Read 5958 times) Average Rating: 0
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #360 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:02 AM »

And puppies.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #361 on: July 10, 2014, 08:39:56 AM »

Have we seriously not thought about being a little sensible to people's feelings?  Or is it that there is no other way to convey what could possibly be a good and edifying conversation in a more professional and dignified manner?  The OP wanted to bring to light how some are insensitive (including myself) to some of the sexist remarks.  We need to stop being so disagreeable and start asking why, or what do you mean, or how is it that I am insensitive.  Remember, even if food makes one offend, a good Christian is one who abtains from it, even if it's just a bunch of tomatoes let's say.  Likewise with your words too, when there are things you think you can say is not wrong, but better to abstain from saying it.  Sometimes, and I'll be the first to admit it to myself, we just stop thinking about how to be sensitive and start wanting to push buttons or become virulently responsive to posts.  Calm down, take a deep breathe, and start over.

+1 Mina.

I have seen many instances where the idea/suggestion of taking other people's thoughts, feelings and concerns into account has been dismissed as being "politically correct"  (a phrase that doesn't seem to have much definition but gets tossed off casually at times) or "censorship".  Another response has been that the poster is "just telling the truth" that another person needs to read (in his/her personal opinion).  This then says that the person who is the target is the one with a problem not the one who is being insensitive, to use your word.

It can be difficult to remember that there are real human beings at the "other end" of an on-line discussion.  Some people may just not care or are even enjoy rousing negative feelings.   I am *not* saying that you have done this, Mina, I assure you. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #362 on: July 10, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »

I have seen many instances where the idea/suggestion of taking other people's thoughts, feelings and concerns into account has been dismissed as being "politically correct"  (a phrase that doesn't seem to have much definition but gets tossed off casually at times) or "censorship".  Another response has been that the poster is "just telling the truth" that another person needs to read (in his/her personal opinion).  This then says that the person who is the target is the one with a problem not the one who is being insensitive, to use your word.

It can be difficult to remember that there are real human beings at the "other end" of an on-line discussion.  Some people may just not care or are even enjoy rousing negative feelings.   I am *not* saying that you have done this, Mina, I assure you. 

I don't think that the problem is remembering that there are "real human beings" at the other end.  The problem is that some of us don’t come from cultures that are as fragile as some people on this forum appear to be.  I was brought up and taught that no man can insult me.  I have to choose to be insulted.  I was also taught that if enough people say the same thing about you, there is probably some truth to it.  Either change or learn to live with it.  Maybe some people on this forum need grow a pair instead of crying for everyone else to be “nice”.

And to be clear, this is not directed at the OP (provided that anyone even remembers it given the length and general stupidity of this thread).  In spite of what I have written above, I actually agree with the OP and have no problem with someone challenging what they believe to be false, or chooses to define their boundaries.  Usually if someone has the courage to define their boundaries (rather than just whining), I have the respect for them to honor their boundaries.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #363 on: July 10, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »

more to risk at the time of the Passion. Also women tend to be more fanatical or  zealous in following a leader or a cause, even today you see whackjobs like Femen or "Pussy Riot" engaging in the most ridiculous stunts in order to get their point across.

Wow, Charles. Wow. Insinuating that the holy women and the Mother of God were little more than "zealous, fanatical whackjobs" is not just low, it's subterranean, even by your usual belligerent standards.  Angry Angry Angry
I'm no fan of Charles Martel and his white supremacist, male chauvinist belligerence, but I see hardly anything in the post you just quoted that supports your interpretation of his words.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #364 on: July 10, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »

Cyrillic....
Charles Martel...

Ban them.

No.  In my younger days I also misunderstood.  I hated the Virgin Mary and I hated the Saints.  I hated anything that took away from my God Jesus Christ.  I wanted to smash the statues of Mary and burn the Icons and images that showed anything other that Christ and His Cross.  Why?  I was a Bride of Christ, and I would allow nothing to be get between me and my betrothed.  God was I wrong.  These men have written nothing here that matches my error.

You're projecting your Protestant baggage onto everyone else. Hating Mary and icons is definitely not why I'm disputing the arguments that men and women are naturally equal in all respects. I'm an ex-Catholic, after all, and I've never experienced or understood the problems Protestants have with Mary (except in a purely intellectual sense of understanding their theological arguments).

Why feel attacked? It's not like you were on Nicholas' enemy list.
It's not a matter of enemies, Cyrillic.

I think you and I both know that another thread about women, minorities, homosexuals, muslims, russia, the poor, etc. is going to pop up, and the usual suspects will come there to scandalize. I don't see it stopping without some sort of greater intervention.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »

You never know what a woman wants nowadays.

If you behave properly according to all that chivalrous stuff my mom indoctrinated me with, they'll hate you and see you as belittling them and upholding an outdated system. If you treat them like crap--er, I mean equals--just like we treat other men, they get mad and consider you to be rude and not a gentleman.

This is why life is simpler being a perpetually single man. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you women, but I'm too lazy to go through the trouble of acquiring one.
+1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:55:44 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »

You never know what a woman wants nowadays.

If you behave properly according to all that chivalrous stuff my mom indoctrinated me with, they'll hate you and see you as belittling them and upholding an outdated system. If you treat them like crap--er, I mean equals--just like we treat other men, they get mad and consider you to be rude and not a gentleman.

First point: maybe the message here is about how you act around your (guy) buddies.

Second point: This isn't about Women; it's about a woman. You actually do have to treat them as individual human beings with their own tastes and desires and hang-ups and all that.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #367 on: July 14, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »

The Romans were civilised (for certain values of the word) Europeans, and they were as much into slavery, if they could be bothered not to just crucify everyone.

Slaves weren't exclusively women. Female slaves, unlike their male counterparts, were spared the mines and the galleys, which were the worst forms of slavery.

I happen to believe prostitution is the worst form of slavery, but we're not going to see this from the same angle, no matter what
Since men weren't spared that form of slavery, is there a point to be made here?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from reporting
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #368 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »

No good point has been made in this thread since the OP.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #369 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »

Edit: Whoops! Wrong thread! I meant to post on the politics fora.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:55:36 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #370 on: July 14, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »

Thank you for your opinion.  You know what they say about opinions.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #371 on: July 14, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

Including yours?  Wink
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from reporting
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #372 on: July 14, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »

Sorry, I'll keep my mouth shut in the congregation from now on.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #373 on: July 14, 2014, 08:14:22 PM »

Including yours?  Wink

See?  I say thank you to a woman and this is what I get . . . Smiley

john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #374 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:23 AM »

I dunno... someone did post a pretty sweet picture of puppies a while back.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #375 on: July 16, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »

Oh, you liked that one, huh?  Cheesy

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #376 on: July 16, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »

Always  Grin

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #377 on: July 16, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »

Oh, you liked that one, huh?  Cheesy
So now you are comparing women to dogs.  Despicable.  Wink

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #378 on: July 16, 2014, 01:46:53 PM »

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I must admit to being quite dismayed and disappointed by the way this thread has run at times.  I have left it unlocked because IMHO some good points have been raised concerning an important topic,  as well as many things that ought to have remained unwritten.  I am sorry if, in the opinion of some, I have let things go on for too long.

Please treat this topic with the respect that it deserves.  I am giving everyone fair warning here that from now on I will not hesitate to issue warnings in this thread for flippant or off the cuff or hurtful remarks that do not help the flow of the discussion.  The same thing goes for posts that are not engaging the OP and are off-topic.  (I do not include the puppies or the kittens already posted, at the time of their posting  I found them to be a welcome relief.)  

Please realise that many in our midst have been hurt by sexism or racism or other attitudes and actions designed to make them feel less than human.  Surely these kinds of attitudes or attacks must be opposed by those of us who affirm that "There is neither Jew not Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)  Please post with sensitivity and tact, keeping these things in mind.  Brothers and sisters, let us struggle to use this thread (in however small a way) to further the healing of our brokenness under the tender ministrations of the Lord.

Your unworthy servant,

Pravoslavbob
Non-religious Topics Moderator
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:07:11 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #379 on: July 24, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »

I don't think that the problem is remembering that there are "real human beings" at the other end.  The problem is that some of us don’t come from cultures that are as fragile as some people on this forum appear to be.  I was brought up and taught that no man can insult me.  I have to choose to be insulted.  I was also taught that if enough people say the same thing about you, there is probably some truth to it.  Either change or learn to live with it.  Maybe some people on this forum need grow a pair instead of crying for everyone else to be “nice”.

OK, you don't. Maybe what you wrote that you see is one problem, but it's not the *only* problem with on-line discussions.  I don't assume that someone objecting to or disagreeing with what another poster wrote is being "fragile".     There's a good bit of leeway between "nice" (whatever that means to you) and the dismissive or vicious or insulting and I was brought up to treat other people with some degree of courtesy whether I agree with them or not.

And to be clear, this is not directed at the OP (provided that anyone even remembers it given the length and general stupidity of this thread).  In spite of what I have written above, I actually agree with the OP and have no problem with someone challenging what they believe to be false, or chooses to define their boundaries.  Usually if someone has the courage to define their boundaries (rather than just whining), I have the respect for them to honor their boundaries.

Sometimes, though, one person being courageous might be dismissed as "whining" by another who doesn't like being challenged.  That word was used in this thread to describe a woman the person said he worked with.   Some people have no respect for those who disagree with them or don't fit what is supposed to be their "proper place".  There have been plenty of instances where people trying to have a voice or make a change in their situations have been put down sometimes with social displeasure, sometimes with violence and other times with disdain. They have been called "unnatural" or "uppity" or even more pejorative terms.  As Pravoslavbob wrote there are real human beings who have been really hurt by sexism and racism and other treatment.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #380 on: July 24, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »

He said a woman should not have teaching authority over a man, but he also allowed there to be deaconesses.

Here are relevant selections from the services for several female saints, of varying stations in life and place of origin, which have something to say about women teaching:

St Olga, Great-princess of Kiev (9th-10th century):

Your memory dawns like the sun, holy Olga.
The mother of Russian kings, you pointed the way to Christ.
Teaching the angelic way, you overthrew the idols,
And the devil you countered with strength from the Holy Spirit.
You led the whole land to God from the darkness of ignorance.
Pray to him for those who remember you.

I'm sure that a more thorough examination of any Menaion would bring forth a good many more examples, showing that St Paul's directive against women teaching cannot be regarded as an absolute. It is also worth noting that the Epistle reading appointed for most of these saints is Gal. 3:23-29.

Speaking of which, today is the feast day of St. Olga of Russia, Equal to the Apostles.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Keble
Archon

« Reply #381 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »

Maybe some people on this forum need grow a pair instead of crying for everyone else to be “nice”.

(my highlighting)

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #382 on: July 24, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »

Was St. Paul against women teaching? Didn't he only say that they should remain silent in church?

—G.K. Chesterton
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #383 on: July 24, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »

Was St. Paul against women teaching? Didn't he only say that they should remain silent in church?

Good question. If women were to remain silent all the time, and linguistic studies have shown that men do talk more than women, then we would not have as examples, St. Olga of Russia, Equal to the Apostles. St, Mary Magdalen, Equal to the Apostles, and St. Photini.

St. Mary Magdalen and St. Photini also taught others about Christ. St. Photini, the Samaritan Woman at the well, led her entire village to Christ, not by extensive teaching, but simply by one sentence, "Come and see ..."

Nero had St. Photini brought to him and asked if she would now relent and offer sacrifice to the idols. St. Photini spat in his face, and laughing at him, said, “O most impious of the blind, you profligate and stupid man! Do you think me so deluded that I would consent to renounce my Lord Christ and instead offer sacrifice to idols as blind as you?”

Hearing such words, Nero gave orders to throw St. Photini down a well, where she surrendered her soul to God in the year 66.

http://www.antiochian.org/node/17560

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #384 on: July 24, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »

Quote from: Frederica Mathewes-Green
For example, opponents of women’s ordination often start by citing St. Paul’s requirement that women be submissive and silent in church (I Tim 2:11-15 and I Cor 14:34-35). Yet this can’t mean utter silence, because Paul honors many women in active ministry, like the deaconess Phoebe (Romans 16:1), and he hails Euodia, Synteche (I Cor 4:2-3) and Prisca (Rom 16:3) as synergoi (fellow-workers) in the gospel. Vocal prophetesses span the bible, from Moses’ sister Miriam (Ex 15:20) to the four daughters of St. Philip (Acts 21:9). The prophetess Anna spoke out in the temple, telling everyone about the child Christ (Lk 2:36-38).

When read in context, it sounds like St. Paul’s primary concern is that worship be reverent and orderly. It’s not just women; he wants men to shape up, too. In I Timothy, he admonishes men to pray “without anger or quarrelling” and tells women to “be silent,” as if both men and women have been restless, noisy, and disruptive. The problem isn’t women speaking in church, it’s women talking in church. Speaking in church would be something different, a way of participating in worship, which we can guess Philip’s daughters did when they functioned as prophets.

By the way, when Paul says women should “be silent,” in New Testament Greek it’s “be in hesychia,” a state of prayerful stillness.

http://frederica.com/writings/womens-ordination.html

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I am not nice!

« Reply #385 on: July 24, 2014, 02:16:11 PM »

If women were to remain silent all the time, and linguistic studies have shown that men do talk more than women, then we would not have as examples, St. Olga of Russia, Equal to the Apostles. St, Mary Magdalen, Equal to the Apostles, and St. Photini.

St. Mary Magdalen and St. Photini also taught others about Christ. St. Photini, the Samaritan Woman at the well, led her entire village to Christ, not by extensive teaching, but simply by one sentence, "Come and see ..."

Nero had St. Photini brought to him and asked if she would now relent and offer sacrifice to the idols. St. Photini spat in his face, and laughing at him, said, “O most impious of the blind, you profligate and stupid man! Do you think me so deluded that I would consent to renounce my Lord Christ and instead offer sacrifice to idols as blind as you?”

Hearing such words, Nero gave orders to throw St. Photini down a well, where she surrendered her soul to God in the year 66.

Good points, though linguistic studies actually show that women and men talk roughly the same amounts, just distributed differently depending on the social situation.

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #386 on: July 24, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »

If women were to remain silent all the time, and linguistic studies have shown that men do talk more than women, then we would not have as examples, St. Olga of Russia, Equal to the Apostles. St, Mary Magdalen, Equal to the Apostles, and St. Photini.

Good points, though linguistic studies actually show that women and men talk roughly the same amounts, just distributed differently depending on the social situation.

Have you read more recent studies? The ones I read were dated before 2009, but I do not have access unless I visit the university library. However, I do not feel safe visiting there, not with all the construction still going on to replace earthquake damaged buildings, and the huge sinkhole that recently opened up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:20:53 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #387 on: July 24, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »

The argument of who talks more is pretty silly, but here is an article that makes it as interesting as the topic can be, I suppose.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131112-do-women-talk-more-than-men

In research published in the journal Science in 2007, Pennebaker found that in their 17 waking hours the women they tested in the US and Mexico uttered an average of 16,215 words while the men spoke 15,669. Again, a negligible difference.

I can tell you in my house, my wife talks way more than I do.  I don't attribute it to gender, but rather just personality differences.

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #388 on: July 24, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »

Maybe some people on this forum need grow a pair instead of crying for everyone else to be “nice”.

(my highlighting)

What? Did it take you 14 days to figure it out?

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #389 on: July 24, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »

OK, you don't. Maybe what you wrote that you see is one problem, but it's not the *only* problem with on-line discussions.  I don't assume that someone objecting to or disagreeing with what another poster wrote is being "fragile".

Nor do I.  I consider one "fragile" when they cannot engage in a conversation without getting hurt unless the other person has their lips on their behind.

Sometimes, though, one person being courageous might be dismissed as "whining" by another who doesn't like being challenged.  That word was used in this thread to describe a woman the person said he worked with.  

Without you being there and knowing the context of the conversation, you have no idea if they were whining or not.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #390 on: July 24, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »

Sometimes, though, one person being courageous might be dismissed as "whining" by another who doesn't like being challenged.  That word was used in this thread to describe a woman the person said he worked with.  

Without you being there and knowing the context of the conversation, you have no idea if they were whining or not.

That is true and without being any of us being there and knowing the context of the conversation it is not known if the poster himself related it accurately, phrased it to show his own viewpoint of a situation or if he just dismissed a woman speaking up about what is *to her* some sort of bad situation as automatically "whining". 

Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I am not nice!

« Reply #391 on: July 24, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »

Have you read more recent studies? The ones I read were dated before 2009, but I do not have access unless I visit the university library. However, I do not feel safe visiting there, not with all the construction still going on to replace earthquake damaged buildings, and the huge sinkhole that recently opened up.

Well, I can't remember the exact source.  Just my Linguistics textbook from the semester before last.

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Keble
Archon

« Reply #392 on: July 24, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »

(my highlighting)

(implied facepalm)

No. It took seeing your words in Ebor's response, the latter being that which I found actually worth reading all of.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #393 on: July 24, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »

Wow.  

9 pages!

Impressive.

I still say that we, Orthodox Christians, need to be nicer to people.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:39:44 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #394 on: July 24, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #395 on: July 24, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »

That is true and without being any of us being there and knowing the context of the conversation it is not known if the poster himself related it accurately, phrased it to show his own viewpoint of a situation or if he just dismissed a woman speaking up about what is *to her* some sort of bad situation as automatically "whining". 

I was the one that used the term in an earlier post.  I assure you, I was there and was quite aware of the context of the conversation.  Whether or not you believe it was accurately stated is your problem.

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #396 on: July 24, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »

Well, I can't remember the exact source.  Just my Linguistics textbook from the semester before last.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=12983#more-12983
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #397 on: July 24, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »

(my highlighting)

(implied facepalm)

No. It took seeing your words in Ebor's response, the latter being that which I found actually worth reading all of.

Yet you fount it worth your time to comment, rendering your above response false.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #398 on: July 24, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »

Go Dover Porn?  Is this porn from Delaware?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:49:10 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #399 on: July 24, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »

It looks like he's breaking her neck.  I don't think that's what they mean by "leading to Christ". 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #400 on: July 24, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »

LOL!  You guys are too much!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #401 on: July 24, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »

It looks like he's breaking her neck.  I don't think that's what they mean by "leading to Christ".  
Please, it is clearly a sleeper hold.  Of course, given the context, that has disturbing ramifications as well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:52:18 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #402 on: July 24, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »

I was the one that used the term in an earlier post.  I assure you, I was there and was quite aware of the context of the conversation.  Whether or not you believe it was accurately stated is your problem.

My apologies.  I was conflating another poster's remarks on women in the workforce with yours.  I should have been more diligent in looking for quotes.  This was my error.

However, there are plenty of instances in the world where negative terms such as "whining" have been used to dismiss other people attempting to speak up. 

Again, apologies for my mistake.

littlepilgrim64
High Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #403 on: July 24, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »

These words are soooo true . . .thanks for posting, Maria!

(But not the best photo the folks @ godoverporn could have used to get their point across, ya know?  I learned several maneuvers in a self-defense class I took to get out of a similar kind of hold.)

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #404 on: July 24, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »

(But not the best photo the folks @ godoverporn could have used to get their point across, ya know?  I learned several maneuvers in a self-defense class I took to get out of a similar kind of hold.)

I know I wouldn't want to go anywhere with someone who held me in a headlock.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags: women 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: