OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling overwhelmed on my journey  (Read 938 times) Average Rating: 0
littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« on: July 02, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »

Hi guys,

Please pray for me.  I don't know if anyone else experienced this as they were seeking Orthodoxy, but I'm now in a season where I am overwhelmed by everything.  On one side my connections are still strong at my old church, socially (as I still attend my Presbyterian church on alternate weeks), but whenever I am among them now or sit in service I feel like a foreigner.  Additionally, I feel as if I am being somewhat dishonest with them in attending there as I continue to seek Orthodoxy and, in reality, my beliefs are shifting away from theirs. 

Conversely, when I go to DL I feel such a peace there. Not that I allow my mind to "check out" entirely (because I'm following along with the liturgy and participating as best I know how), but I stand there and pray that the Lord will open my heart to Him and experience all that is going on around me. . .sort of like riding a wave out in the ocean and allowing it to carry you where it will, as Father explained to me.  I have a simple prayer rule and have been reading a lot and the more on Orthodoxy I read, the more I see how vast everything is, which overwhelms me.  Also, it's like one day I feel the Lord makes something in Orthodoxy very clear to me (ex: asking saints to intercede for us) and I embrace it and another day (as, while in prayer, I ask a saint to intercede for me) my "Protestant self" chimes in that "praying to the dead" is evil, and I become highly anxious.  I have backed off any reading for the past few days because I've been overwhelmed, though I continue in my prayer time.  I even went to bed last night somewhat anxious and repeated the Jesus Prayer until I fell asleep. 

I appreciate your prayers.  Smiley
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

Lord have mercy on your servant.

FWIW, I experienced the same thing.  On occasion, I still do.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:19:22 AM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
Saint John of Shanghai Pray For Us

Dear littlepilgrim,

You are not betraying your friends!  I'm sure good friendships can survive a change in Church membership, or any other major life change.   

I think doubt and fear are temptations and you are doing the best thing by turning to prayer.  I find that prayer is easier than trying to confront negative thoughts myself. 

Love, elephant
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

Lord have mercy.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »

Lord have mercy.
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »

Hi guys,

Please pray for me.  I don't know if anyone else experienced this as they were seeking Orthodoxy, but I'm now in a season where I am overwhelmed by everything.  On one side my connections are still strong at my old church, socially (as I still attend my Presbyterian church on alternate weeks), but whenever I am among them now or sit in service I feel like a foreigner.  Additionally, I feel as if I am being somewhat dishonest with them in attending there as I continue to seek Orthodoxy and, in reality, my beliefs are shifting away from theirs. 

Conversely, when I go to DL I feel such a peace there. Not that I allow my mind to "check out" entirely (because I'm following along with the liturgy and participating as best I know how), but I stand there and pray that the Lord will open my heart to Him and experience all that is going on around me. . .sort of like riding a wave out in the ocean and allowing it to carry you where it will, as Father explained to me.  I have a simple prayer rule and have been reading a lot and the more on Orthodoxy I read, the more I see how vast everything is, which overwhelms me.  Also, it's like one day I feel the Lord makes something in Orthodoxy very clear to me (ex: asking saints to intercede for us) and I embrace it and another day (as, while in prayer, I ask a saint to intercede for me) my "Protestant self" chimes in that "praying to the dead" is evil, and I become highly anxious.  I have backed off any reading for the past few days because I've been overwhelmed, though I continue in my prayer time.  I even went to bed last night somewhat anxious and repeated the Jesus Prayer until I fell asleep. 

Lord have mercy!

Besides the feeling of dishonesty-I was quite up front and honest-had all of the above.

You're supposed to be overwhelmed. The Church is bigger than you.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:08:10 AM »

Lord, have mercy on littlepilgrim64.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 12:21:17 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Besides the feeling of dishonesty-I was quite up front and honest-had all of the above.

You're supposed to be overwhelmed. The Church is bigger than you.

Lord have mercy on your servant.

FWIW, I experienced the same thing.  On occasion, I still do.

It helps to hear that you guys who have gone before me and are in the Church experienced similar things to what I am currently going through.  I know that everyone's journey is different and specific to them, yet there are things shared in common with others too.  Thanks!
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 12:41:43 AM »

I think doubt and fear are temptations and you are doing the best thing by turning to prayer.  I find that prayer is easier than trying to confront negative thoughts myself. 

Love, elephant

Yes, I continue to pray that the Lord would be merciful and forgiving of me in my weak faith with all of my doubts and concerns.  I'm looking forward to when the priest at the church I visit returns from being out of town so that I can discuss these things with him more as well.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »

Hi guys,

Lord have mercy.

Many years ago, I also struggled when I was converting as I felt like a hypocrite whenever I attended the RC Church. However, my priest told me that when the day came that I could no longer receive communion in the RCC, then I should ask to become a catechumen. That day approached sooner than we thought it would. Once I was received as a catechumen, then I no longer attended the RCC.

I will pray for you that you too will find peace.

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.

Oh, try to attend the Canon to the Most Holy Theotokos during the Fast of the Theotokos, from August 1 to August 14. It is so awesome.

"Assaults of temptations cause me distress,
Waves of despondency overwhelming my very soul.
O Maiden, restore to me that peace
That thy Son and our God gives, O blameless One."

Narthex Press, Canon of the Theotokos.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:12 AM »

Oh, try to attend the Canon to the Most Holy Theotokos during the Fast of the Theotokos, from August 1 to August 14. It is so awesome.

Maria ~ Yes, I saw that on church's calendar (GOC - the church I visit) this is coming up next month.  It shows that every other evening they have "Paraklesis" . . .is that the same as the canon?  I am still very new to all of this, so I am assuming that "canon" is a type of prayer service of some sort? 
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »

Maria ~ Yes, I saw that on church's calendar (GOC - the church I visit) this is coming up next month.  It shows that every other evening they have "Paraklesis" . . .is that the same as the canon?  I am still very new to all of this, so I am assuming that "canon" is a type of prayer service of some sort? 

The Paraklesis is the Supplicatory Canon to the Mother of God.
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »

The Paraklesis is the Supplicatory Canon to the Mother of God.

Thanks, LBK, for clarifying that  Smiley
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »

Any updates?

Know that I continue to pray for you.

I hope you can make it to the Canon of the Theotokos aka Paraclesis.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:04:27 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 08:20:16 AM »

Any updates?

I sooo do appreciate your prayers, Maria.   Smiley  I'm having some days that are better than others with regard to anxiety and feeling overwhelmed.  My journey has become a sort of spiritual tug-of-war going on internally (my Protestant self and the life I know vs. my desire toward Holy Orthodoxy).  I'm finding that alternating between attending the Presbyterian church one week and the GOC the next is getting old, as I long to be at liturgy more frequently.  I've been praying for direction about the timing of when I need to just make a clean break from the Presbyterian church. I'm getting excited about the Dormition fast period coming up and all of the opportunities for me to attend services in the evenings during those two weeks. Also, Father and I are due for a talk, as it's been a number of weeks since I've been able to speak with him, so I'm looking forward to that too!!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 08:46:07 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »

Continuing to pray for you. Lord, have mercy.

littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »

I am grateful for your prayers!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 12:20:07 AM »

Let us pray for each other, little pilgrim, that we may be saved.

Lord have mercy and save us.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 12:25:42 AM »

Yes, indeed!
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »

Amen

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 01:32:49 AM »

I'm finding that alternating between attending the Presbyterian church one week and the GOC the next is getting old, as I long to be at liturgy more frequently.  I've been praying for direction about the timing of when I need to just make a clean break from the Presbyterian church.
I, like many before and after me, have been there. It is not easy, but God provides.

Lord have mercy.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:03 AM »

Any updates?

I sooo do appreciate your prayers, Maria.   Smiley  ... I'm finding that alternating between attending the Presbyterian church one week and the GOC the next is getting old, as I long to be at liturgy more frequently.  I've been praying for direction about the timing of when I need to just make a clean break from the Presbyterian church. I'm getting excited about the Dormition fast period coming up and all of the opportunities for me to attend services in the evenings during those two weeks. ...

Dear Little Pilgrim,

I found myself in the same boat when I was a Roman Catholic looking into Orthodoxy. The priest told me that when the time came that I could no longer receive communion in the RCC, then it was time to become a catechumen. That time came within two weeks.

Do go to the Paracleisis (Canon to the Theotokos) during August. It is awesome.

The Canon is one of my favorite prayers, which I chant every night.

Know that I will keep you in my prayers.
Maria

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
chrisgeo
Moderated

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 01:15:03 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »

I'm getting together with Father next week to talk . . . .it's been a long time!
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »

I had such a severe case of anxiety all through the night last night and it was over making a clean break from my current church to go full-time to the Greek Orthodox church I visit.  Thoughts even came to mind of putting Orthodoxy on hold yet again and just continue remaining where I am in my Protestant church.  Don't know if I brought on this anxiety or if it was of the enemy . . a sort of fight for my soul, 'cause that is what it felt like internally.  I prayed last night but also played the local classical music station throughout the night to sooth me to sleep.

Please continue to keep me in your prayers.
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »

Lord have mercy!!! Lord have mercy!!! Lord have mercy on Your little pilgrim (64)!!!

Oh Most Holy Theotokos, please plead with our Lord, Your Son on behalf of little pilgrim!!

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

Dear little pilgrim, may His strength find you in this time and support you toward His Holy Church.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »

Continued prayers. Lord, have mercy.

littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:17 PM »

Another evening of anxiety for me.  I've pinpointed my fear, though, and that is that I am so very new to understanding the Orthodox faith (and I want to come to the Church), and I feel that I can't adequately explain to my current pastor and evangelical friends why I am leaving.  I have been less involved at church over the summer, however friends have been trying to pull me back into things, for example asking me to join choir again because they are now starting to rehearse for their Christmas cantata. I feel like I need to know how to theologically argue against whatever they may throw at me to dissuade me from leaving and I feel inadequate to do so. Of course, on their part they would be doing it out of love and concern for me.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »

Lord, have mercy.  Do you have another thread say in converts or Orthodox - Protestants forums where this could be discussed? If not you may want to create one.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 12:27:05 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

You write beautifully littlepilgrim. I agree with Maximum Bob that you may get more advice that is worthwhile in your own thread. I personally do not know how to respond in this context.
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »

Lord, have mercy.  Do you have another thread say in converts or Orthodox - Protestants forums where this could be discussed? If not you may want to create one.

Lord, have mercy.

You write beautifully littlepilgrim. I agree with Maximum Bob that you may get more advice that is worthwhile in your own thread. I personally do not know how to respond in this context.

Maximum Bob and Opus118 ~
I've taken the suggestion of you both and started a new thread in the converts section.  Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: