OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:15:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romania  (Read 394 times) Average Rating: 0
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: July 02, 2014, 05:28:30 AM »

Why is Romania so cursed or deprived of good fortune/good luck,  so traumatised if it has one of the biggest rates of Orthodox per country?

This user no longer posts here.
ignatios

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:43:07 AM »

I don't know anything about Romania, but my guess would be that whatever is ailing the people is not being effectively dealt with. Cultural values, personal beliefs and actions, physical circumstances - either the solution is not present among these as they exist in Romania or, if a solution is present, they are not being effectively utilized.
The Fool

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »

If anything we should expect that the more faithful a country is, the less worldly fortunate it will be.

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »

My first visit to Romania was in 1994. It was really a third world country. In much worse shape then, let's say, newly independent Ukraine.

Then I came there again in 2010. Romania is still not rich, but basically on a European standard. Compared to that, Ukraine has almost made no progress (Ukrainian economy is still below what it was in the USSR).

I really think Romania is not on a bad way concerning economy and infrastructure. HOWEVER, abortion was banned under Ceausecu and the new, free, democratic system legalised it.
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »

I think most of Eastern Europe are the same, and that might me because of the wars in the past and what the Soviet Union did...etc.

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:09:48 AM »

People are desparated, they are lied , abused, are underpaid, etc.. They can't really afford much and many have expenses more than what they wage... But the problem is psychological, psychosis + into the world.. compared to others romanians are not so lucky, they are exploited everywhere, abused, disliked (not to say subject to racial hate) , it is the psychological frenzy that it is into that country that I am merely focussing upon that, many romanians look like a screaming animal in pain who is afraid to die, and almost entirely with a lost faith to a better cause, always expects the worse, always let down, always crushed and defeated, always when expecting good having their hope crushed, etc.. It is like God or the Universe is against romanians. Why if they are amongst the most Orthodox in rate if not the most (we were no #1)?

This user no longer posts here.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »

I think most of Eastern Europe are the same
No, they aren't. There are big differences. Romania is already doing much better than its neighbours Ukraine, Bulgaria and Serbia. Not as good as Poland or Estonia though.
Some places in Eastern Europe even have caught up with Western Europe. Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, comes to my mind. Of course, the Slovak countryside isn't as far, but still there are lightyears between Carpatho-Rusyns in Eastern Slovakia and those in Ukraine's Zakarpattia oblast. In that comparison, Romania would be somewhere in between, but progressing.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »

People are desparated, they are lied , abused, are underpaid, etc.. They can't really afford much and many have expenses more than what they wage... But the problem is psychological, psychosis + into the world.. compared to others romanians are not so lucky, they are exploited everywhere, abused, disliked (not to say subject to racial hate) , it is the psychological frenzy that it is into that country that I am merely focussing upon that, many romanians look like a screaming animal in pain who is afraid to die, and almost entirely with a lost faith to a better cause, always expects the worse, always let down, always crushed and defeated, always when expecting good having their hope crushed, etc.. It is like God or the Universe is against romanians. Why if they are amongst the most Orthodox in rate if not the most (we were no #1)?

At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, life is hard. Life is probably harder in a place where the people have lived under a repressive and oppressive regime for decades. It takes time to recover from a trauma like that - both personally and as a people.
And unfortunately racial hatred and discrimination is all too common. It seems as if somebody somewhere is always trying to put someone else down.
I can't speak to specific racial hatred or discrimination against Romanians in particular, and have only anecdotal evidence to offer that I haven't seen anything of the sort around here.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:28:31 AM »

Communism did not end in 89/90 in Romania. All those people and cliques (actually "social classes" in their own right) did not simply disappear through the removal of the big dictator and a few key figures, but continued until today and basically ensured the drainage of the country's wealth and not just that, but affected the well-being of the country on every level. This is what Romania has struggled with in the recent history and this is the main reason it is doing much worse than it should. So we are talking high level corruption, treason, theft, abuse, etc. I actually think it's doing surprisingly good considering the odds, but from now on I believe it is at a major cross-roads.

Cyrus

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christian

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:46:56 AM »

Communism did not end in 89/90 in Romania. All those people and cliques (actually "social classes" in their own right) did not simply disappear through the removal of the big dictator and a few key figures, but continued until today and basically ensured the drainage of the country's wealth and not just that, but affected the well-being of the country on every level. This is what Romania has struggled with in the recent history and this is the main reason it is doing much worse than it should. So we are talking high level corruption, treason, theft, abuse, etc. I actually think it's doing surprisingly good considering the odds, but from now on I believe it is at a major cross-roads.

You have described the U.S.A. well.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »

Cioran, eat your heart out!  Roll Eyes

Truly, we are world champions when it comes to self-pity and mioritic pathos...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:30:43 PM by Romaios » Logged
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »

Romanians have been and are a key nation on the planet because of their spirituality and certain qualities. I am not saying that they are the most important, not even that important at all, but key. This is, of course, has ensured that we have been hated, envied, etc. Of course, the nation has its faults, but I see this as a consequence and illness and not as something condemnable and representative of us. As always, the real big problems start from the top and from enemies; the faults of "the masses" are also real and important, but they are not source.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 06:44:44 AM »

i am responding from romania!
it seems to me to be that there has been very high level of treachery in the church.
so much that the church can't be a very good light right now to help those in darkness (who don't know God).
many priests and people suffered for their faith, but many others decided the suffering was too great and agreed to act as traitors during communism. this happened in the protestant and orthodox churches (i know personally of specific examples) and probably in the catholic church too, but i don't yet know any romanian catholics; they are very few.

but God is purifying His church. like any purification process, it is very painful.

last sunday i heard a beautiful sermon encouraging people to come into a closer relationship with God and study the Bible and come more often to Holy Communion.
it was a major feast (on new calendar here) and way more than 50% of the people took Holy Communion, which was great.
i feel the pain of those who have not found God in church (whether orthodox, catholic or protestant) and especially for those who have left the orthodox church to go to other churches because they were sick of the level of theft and corruption.
i pray that God will bring them back to the true beauty which is the orthodox church.
i am in another town now, and, as God wills, will attend church again tomorrow, and i pray that i will be similarly encouraged there.

if not, it will be another reason to pray more for the beautiful people here to turn to God in all humility.
'a broken and humbled heart, God will not despise' (psalm 50; 51 in massoretic text)

in romanian:
'inima infranta si smerita Dumnezeu nu o va urgisi'
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

Why is Romania so cursed or deprived of good fortune/good luck,  so traumatised if it has one of the biggest rates of Orthodox per country?

Everyone suffers, because there is sin in the world. Even Our Lord suffered, and He never sinned.

We all need to pray. Myself first.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: