Author Topic: Experts Say That Looking At the Private Bits of Women May Often Be Unnecessary  (Read 816 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Pelvic Exam Found To Be Mostly Useless For Judging Women's Health: What Took Doctors So Long To Realize?

For all those women who dread the invasive pelvic exam, I have some good news for you: The procedure may no longer be a necessary part of a woman’s gynecological checkup. In a recent review by the American College of Physicians (ACP), experts have found the pelvic exam to have no benefit to the average woman...

A team of doctors from the ACP reviewed 52 published studies on the low success rate of routine pelvic exams before concluding that the test was overall unnecessary for unsystematic women. Their study is published online in the Annals of Internal Medicine. Through their research, the team found that the common procedure, performed on 63.4 million U.S. women in 2008, is only helpful in cases where women have symptoms such as abnormal bleeding, pain, urinary problems, sexual dysfunction or vaginal discharge, Medical News Today reported...

What troubled researchers even more than the test's ineffectiveness was its tendency to deter some women from getting necessary medical care...
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
"Male gynecologists vehemently disagreed with the findings of this study. Dr. Thurgood stated, why would we eliminate the part of the exam that caused so many of us to enter this field?  It is an outrage and a war against women's health!"
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
"Male gynecologists vehemently disagreed with the findings of this study. Dr. Thurgood stated, why would we eliminate the part of the exam that caused so many of us to enter this field?  It is an outrage and a war against women's health!"
LOL!!!!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
Guess OB-GYN is out of the question as a career path then. Darn.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
the test was overall unnecessary for unsystematic women.

Illiterate "journalist"! The word she should have used is asymptomatic, not unsystematic:P ::)
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
It's about time they figured this out. I don't even allow pelvic exams during pregnancy/labor without a VERY good reason. I don't find a hand up the hooha reassuring in the least. I had my first non-pregnant annual physical exam in over a decade today; I decided to decline the pelvic exam. 

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Merarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC

Illiterate "journalist"! The word she should have used is asymptomatic, not unsystematic:P ::)

LOL
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Guess OB-GYN is out of the question as a career path then. Darn.

Why? You still get to be at the business end during labour. Really up close and personal, too! :P
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Hey, don't look at me. I'm not a gynecologist.  Go talk to Dr. Thurgood.
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos

misspelling and misinformation seems to be majors in journalism school nowadays, along with ignorance of grammar (goes with the ignorance of facts).
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Thread locked pending moderator review.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer