OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 01:43:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Children's Athletics on Sunday Mornings  (Read 993 times) Average Rating: 0
Christos3

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

« on: July 01, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

Am I the only parent getting annoyed at youth sports organizations having competitions on Sunday mornings?

I know some will say "you don't have to attend", which is true. But if you do attend the event instead of DL, what do you tell your child?  If you have been steadfast how has your child's coach responded?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »

Yes....I see this happening more and more.

...and it's not just athletics.

My little niece had her dance recital on Pentecost Sunday at 12:30.  There's absolutely no way she could make it to church, on a major Feast Day, and get back to the venue, dressed, warmed up and ready to go.  I was very upset. 

She's only 11, and they take classes for 6 months, which culminates in this one event.  For her to skip her recital would be to negate 6 months effort....and break her heart. 

I told her I was going to church first, and would try to make her recital.  Thankfully, her group was one of the last ones to perform.  As it was, I had to stand in the doors until "between" numbers and then try to find the family who were holding a seat for me.

The nephews often had baseball practice on Sundays....they would skip those.

However, I hear other kids having competitions, driving lessons, etc. ...all on Sunday mornings.

Sundays are not longer "special" to the secular world.  Shops aren't closed.  People aren't dressed in their finest.  Families don't gather and spend time together.  It's a sad sign of the times.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen applicant
Jurisdiction: GOA I hope

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »

America offering worship to her true god, Eris.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

A threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ec iv.12).

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »

Am I the only parent getting annoyed at youth sports organizations having competitions on Sunday mornings?

I know some will say "you don't have to attend", which is true. But if you do attend the event instead of DL, what do you tell your child?  If you have been steadfast how has your child's coach responded?

No, you are not. I was just thinking about this a few days ago.  It seems the underlying ASSumption is that no one goes to Church.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »

No, you are not. I was just thinking about this a few days ago.  It seems the underlying ASSumption is that no one goes to Church.
My family must be downright fanatical, because we typically go Wednesday, Saturday night and Sunday and mornings when there is liturgy for a feast or Saint. Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:02:21 PM »

When I ran the acolytes at our parish I had several people who could never be counted on to be there because of sports.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »

We had soccer moms in my previous parishes. Their children would come dressed in their sports clothes because they had a game immediately afterwards. Often they would leave before the Divine Liturgy was over. When the children grew up, they were no longer practicing Orthodox Christians, and the parents had vanished too. Sports were more important to them than the faith.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:48:49 AM »

I would argue that churches who sponsor ethnic dance troupes is having the same effect with retaining the youth as participating in sports.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 01:33:03 AM »

My family must be downright fanatical, because we typically go Wednesday, Saturday night and Sunday and mornings when there is liturgy for a feast or Saint. Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

... What saint is that in your avatar, with the gorgeous beard?

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:10 AM »

We had soccer moms in my previous parishes. Their children would come dressed in their sports clothes because they had a game immediately afterwards. Often they would leave before the Divine Liturgy was over. When the children grew up, they were no longer practicing Orthodox Christians, and the parents had vanished too. Sports were more important to them than the faith.

Fortunately for me I was always a studious little nerd who never played sports or engaged in any physical activity apart from jogging  Grin

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 02:09:02 AM »

Sundays are not longer "special" to the secular world.  Shops aren't closed.  People aren't dressed in their finest.  Families don't gather and spend time together.  It's a sad sign of the times.

Unfortunately I've never experienced that in my life so I have trouble relating to you. I'm the only Orthodox in my family and prior to getting my license I had to beg them for rides to Church on Sunday only to come home afterward feeling somewhat sad that to my family it was just another day.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Not glorified, but it's Fr. Seraphim Rose.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:26:16 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

It seems the portraitist made some improvements.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »

I would argue that churches who sponsor ethnic dance troupes is having the same effect with retaining the youth as participating in sports.

You don't like Greek Dancing?

Gets out the cane!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 02:45:06 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

It seems the portraitist made some improvements.

Those look like dread knots!

I am sure that Father Seraphim Rose would not support children's athletics that interfered with their attending the Divine Liturgy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »

If you've heard his talk "Living the Orthodox Worldview", I'm sure he wouldn't either.

And, yes, his beard was kind of like dreads, just not intentionally braided that way.  When beard (or hair, for that matter) maintenace is low on priorities, that's what'll happen.

Christos3

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »

I am guilty of opting for sports over DL. However, this year we have dropped some sports so we a rarely missing DL because of sports. As parents, sometimes we get caught up in the sport and unfortunately think if the child misses a competition that will ruin their career or let down the team. I also think we feel alone or an outcast when choosing church over sports. I know that is cowardly way to feel, but it is true.

I was thinking of starting an organization and call it PASS (Parents against Sports on Sundays) or at least Sunday mornings. If we get enough PASS parents then maybe the leagues and teams will not schedule games in the mornings.

Just a thought.
john_mo
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:37:34 AM »

This was a pet peeve of mine when I taught Sunday school for adolescents.  I don't see why they can't at least wait until after 2pm.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: