Author Topic: Marilyn Manson vs Orthodox activists  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

Marilyn Manson vs Orthodox activists
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:42:21 AM »
Here is a video of Orthodox activists attacking Marilyn Manson in Moscow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pVmAoVTFY

They threw eggs at him and poured holy water in his direction. You can see also a fan girl who attacked Orthodox activists back.
It was shown on TV many times, so they made a good advertisement for this singer before his concert.

But later right before the concert somebody called the police and said there the hall had been mined. So, the concert was cancelled. But it was a fake because the bomb was not found.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:43:12 AM by Alexander_Kuzmin »

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Re: Marilyn Manson vs Orthodox activists
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
Is the video safe? I do not know who Marilyn Manson is.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
Yes, it is safe. Marilyn Manson is a pseydo-satanic silly singer from the USA.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »

I do not know about pseudo-satanic singers ... must of what I have heard sounds rock hard metal satanic.

I avoid such "music" like the plague.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:16:17 AM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
There is no music in this video. This is a news-item from our TV.
But it looks as far from Christianity as the attacked person, although it was done by Christians.

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
When so called Christians do these type of things it makes them look sick and hateful  :'(.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »
Really? They protest by throwing eggs (while making the sign of the cross no less) and hitting with icons?  I don't care who the singer is. The way the protest was done was unacceptable.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »
Yes, I agree.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
As a certain bishop from Cyprus was fond of saying, "God, save us from the religious!"
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Geh

• scum par excellence
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »
Pity they didn't go further.
Quote from: Nikolaostheservant
tonight you die of a heart attack in your sleep. your at the pearly gates wanting to get in but you have not been very good nor have you been very bad, sin wise the scales are even. so to break the tie God asks you to explain this post you made, what u gona say?

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »

I do not know about pseudo-satanic singers ... must of what I have heard sounds rock hard metal satanic.

Heavy metal music (which MM isn't) is satanic?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
I don't even...

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
I completely disagree with these EO Christians for doing such a thing.  We are supposed to love our enemies.   He can use stuff like this to further exploit Christianity.  I do not believe for a second that most EO Christians would approve of this behavior.

Marilyn Manson is a satanist and an ordained priest in the Church of Satan.  

Much of the music industry promotes satanic teachings themed around "you can do what you want"/"do your own thing"/"do what thy wilt"/"going your own way"/ basically making yourself God.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »

What -don't- you avoid like the plague?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
I completely disagree with these EO Christians for doing such a thing.  We are supposed to love our enemies.   He can use stuff like this to further exploit Christianity.  I do not believe for a second that most EO Christians would approve of this behavior.

Much of the music industry promotes satanic teachings themed around "you can do what you want"/"do your own thing"/"do what thy wilt"/"going your own way"/ basically making yourself God.

You think everyone in show business is in the Illuminati..
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »

You think that I think that everybody in show business is in the illuminati because I've pointed out several examples.
Keep the Ad Hominem attacks please.

There are a ton of EO warnings on much of the main stream music and movies.

Also read your saints on theaters, tragedies, and music.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »

Much of it promotes satanic ideals and teachings, whether knowing or unknowing.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

You think that I think that everybody in show business is in the illuminati because I've pointed out several examples.

No.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
Really? They protest by throwing eggs (while making the sign of the cross no less) and hitting with icons?  I don't care who the singer is. The way the protest was done was unacceptable.

I think that it's hilarious and makes life worth living.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »

as does the internet....yet you are here
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »

What ad hominem?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »
I'm a bit suprised that some are still taking artists like that seriously and/or find it offending.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 12:31:57 PM »
I hope someone tells these guys about the thousand black metal bands probably within a stones throw of them. It'd probably be the best thing to happen to those bands.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
I hope someone tells these guys about the thousand black metal bands probably within a stones throw of them. It'd probably be the best thing to happen to those bands.

:)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »

What ad hominem?
Yesh thinks every criticism of his point of view is an ad hominem.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »

as does the internet....yet you are here

Yesh might be right on this..... I saw a glimpse into the Goth world through my Goth neighbors about 4 years ago.  I ended up watching their dog quite a bit, and was invited over after their "gathering" for some gumbo.   On the surface it seems like silly kids dressed in black living out some fantasy in their heads.  Instead it was a rather formal, organized religion of sorts.  In this city, to get into the "group" you had to be sponsored by another Goth.  They had lots of kids wanting to get in, but they had to be sponsored to be admitted into the inner circle.     The weird thing, to me, was it wasn't just the kids dressed in black, it was other groups, such as some people pretending to be Vikings.  Really.  There was a subset that was into Viking paganism, and looked more like aging grunge rockers.  One couple had a wedding that was based on Viking paganism, and the guests all had to come dressed like Vikings.  Or, there were some rich women driving Mercedes and living in multimillion dollar homes living this secret life in the Goth world.   Many of them took 2nd names that were only used in their inner group.  Their "gatherings" were sort of like a religious thing, and they would talk about their spirituality.  They also had the concept of "elders". My neighbor was an elder, and if there were grievances in the group you had to go before the elders.    They also seemed to be really into sexually acting out whatever urges they had, there were these fetish parties.  I remember my neighbor going to one, telling me as she walked to her car, that she needed her sexual release.   She thought she was an expert on paganism.  Her boyfriend was into some black art,  he was always dressed in black and had weird symbols all over his car. My neighbor alluded to him practicing something dark, but I didn't ask further.   So, some of the kids you saw dressed in black wearing makeup to look like they were drained of blood might have been silly kids just rebelling, but there really is a more formal, underground group of connected yet diverse paganism that borders on dark arts.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:14:36 PM by Adela »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »
First of all...

Paganism does NOT equal goth.

Considering I used to be a goth, I just might know a bit more about it than you would think.

Yes, there is overlap, just like there is overlap between many different groups.  But that does not make your neighbours the poster children for Goth. 

But honestly since I am wasting my breath....I will leave it at that.....

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
First of all...

Considering I used to be a goth, I just might know a bit more about it than you would think.

Yes, there is overlap, just like there is overlap between many different groups.  But that does not make your neighbours the poster children for Goth. 

the fact that you used to be goth-- real goth, not Hot Topic goth --just makes me like you that much more, LOL.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
First of all...

Yes, there is overlap, just like there is overlap between many different groups.  But that does not make your neighbours the poster children for Goth.  

I can only share what I experienced in one city.  There really was strong pagan religion in all the many that came for their gatherings. Like I said, they only admitted some to their inner circle. So there were the teenagers dressed in black that you see at the mall, and then there were this rather large group of rather organized pagans that functioned as a secret religion.   Your experiences don't necessarily negate mine.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:26:39 PM by Adela »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »
Considering I used to be a goth

Sorry, couldn't resist. :angel:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:45:00 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
First of all...

I did NOT see that one coming!
God bless!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »
First of all...

the fact that you used to be goth-- real goth, not Hot Topic goth --just makes me like you that much more, LOL.

Nah, she was just another poser.  The real Goths blended in with the peoples of Spain, Italy, and the Balkans ages ago.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »
First of all...

I have also been a protestant missionary in Brazil.....

expect the unexpected.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
First of all...

I have also been a protestant missionary in Brazil.....

expect the unexpected.
At the same time that you were goth?
God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
First of all...

I'd have said the same, if we weren't at dinner at the time of posting. :P

We may have put aside the fashion sense, Denise (except for special occasions ;)), but gothery is more a matter of music and literature than how much black kohl we wear.

'Kids in black = satanism'. Are the 80s coming back? What has Tipper Gore to say about it?

Corpsepaint looks silly when fresh and ridiculous when mixed with sweat. Both Kiss and Alice Cooper abandoned it 30 years ago. Clue?

And Marilyn Manson? He may have had some shock value 15 years ago. Now he's just establishment.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:53:23 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
Considering I used to be a goth

Sorry, couldn't resist. :angel:

CRAB WALK!!!!!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
CRAB CRAPPED PANTS WALK!!!!!

Fixeded. :angel:
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »
First of all...

We may have put aside the fashion sense, Denise (except for special occasions ;)), but gothery is more a matter of music and literature than how much black kohl we wear.

'Kids in black = satanism'. Are the 80s coming back? What has Tipper Gore to say about it?

Corpsepaint looks silly when fresh and ridiculous when mixed with sweat. Both Kiss and Alice Cooper abandoned it 30 years ago. Clue?

And Marilyn Manson? He may have had some shock value 15 years ago. Now he's just establishment.

They didn't get the message in Tampa, FL,  this is where the Goths there all hang out:

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »
First of all...

They didn't get the message in Tampa, FL,  this is where the Goths there all hang out:

Would they be allowed into more mainstream establishments?

I've had reactions to my own outfits (which ranged from Trinity to Vanessa Ives) range from indifference to 'point and laugh' to being cussed out in the street, as if it were any of their business.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/08/17/Floridian/The_Castle_calls.shtml

Tampa Goths:

After 15 years, this still hasn’t gotten old: the black, the heavy makeup, the darkness, the sheer weight of being Goth.

And they have poetry readings.....

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Not every work environment out there is flexible enough for such styles. ;D 'Weekend goths' were ridiculed at first, but they keep gaining momentum as the scene ages and their ranks swell. :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »

Those things are not as perverse as most people would assume.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:18:06 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Other than your dislike of your neighbors....I don't get why you are spending time digging up all this stuff?

I never said Goth's were angels....but nor are 100% of them like you have experienced.

You bring up flyers for events that say things like 'fetish ball'....big whoopie...so -some- people do stuff like that.  Just like I would be shocked right out of my shoes if -some- people here also didn't do stuff like that.

Appearance does not = your heart and your behavior.  Christ knew this....

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »
First of all...

Would they be allowed into more mainstream establishments?

I've had reactions to my own outfits (which ranged from Trinity to Vanessa Ives) range from indifference to 'point and laugh' to being cussed out in the street, as if it were any of their business.

I really don't know. I know what my neighbor shared, such as the monthly "spiritual"  gatherings they had that were hosted at different member's houses, the system of elders, and the fetish parties at the Castle.    Some in other cities might just be into play-acting and call themselves Goths.  In Tampa, they called themselves Goths and there was a lot more variety than just the old Marilyn Manson look-a-likes, such as the Viking pagans.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
Edited above post.