Author Topic: Marilyn Manson vs Orthodox activists  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Marilyn Manson vs Orthodox activists
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »
I really don't know. I know what my neighbor shared, such as the monthly "spiritual"  gatherings they had that were hosted at different member's houses, the system of elders, and the fetish parties at the Castle.    Some in other cities might just be into play-acting and call themselves Goths.  In Tampa, they called themselves Goths and there was a lot more variety than just the old Marilyn Manson look-a-likes, such as the Viking pagans.

And this, the bolded part, is where it's at.

The goth subculture rose out of music and literature. Religiously/spiritually it is as diverse as any of the mainstream folks you see on the street.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
Other than your dislike of your neighbors....I don't get why you are spending time digging up all this stuff?

I never said Goth's were angels....but nor are 100% of them like you have experienced.

You bring up flyers for events that say things like 'fetish ball'....big whoopie...so -some- people do stuff like that.  Just like I would be shocked right out of my shoes if -some- people here also didn't do stuff like that.

Appearance does not = your heart and your behavior.  Christ knew this....

For one thing, you say have the final word of what is Goth because you say you used to be one.  So why are you so bothered by what I shared?  It's my experience after all, not yours.   

I'm just sharing what I experienced.   Even if you find it not very interesting, so what?   I myself found it interesting that in this one city there was a group calling themselves Goths who had a rather formalized religious organization. 

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
First of all...

Paganism does NOT equal goth.

Considering I used to be a goth, I just might know a bit more about it than you would think.

Yes, there is overlap, just like there is overlap between many different groups.  But that does not make your neighbours the poster children for Goth. 

But honestly since I am wasting my breath....I will leave it at that.....

I'd have said the same, if we weren't at dinner at the time of posting. :P

We may have put aside the fashion sense, Denise (except for special occasions ;)), but gothery is more a matter of music and literature than how much black kohl we wear.

'Kids in black = satanism'. Are the 80s coming back? What has Tipper Gore to say about it?

Corpsepaint looks silly when fresh and ridiculous when mixed with sweat. Both Kiss and Alice Cooper abandoned it 30 years ago. Clue?

And Marilyn Manson? He may have had some shock value 15 years ago. Now he's just establishment.

They didn't get the message in Tampa, FL,  this is where the Goths there all hang out:

Would they be allowed into more mainstream establishments?

I've had reactions to my own outfits (which ranged from Trinity to Vanessa Ives) range from indifference to 'point and laugh' to being cussed out in the street, as if it were any of their business.

I really don't know. I know what my neighbor shared, such as the monthly "spiritual"  gatherings they had that were hosted at different member's houses, the system of elders, and the fetish parties at the Castle.    Some in other cities might just be into play-acting and call themselves Goths.  In Tampa, they called themselves Goths and there was a lot more variety than just the old Marilyn Manson look-a-likes, such as the Viking pagans.

So you are making the assumption that the 'goths' of your acquaintance, representative of -one- city in the US are in essence so 'prototypical goth' that all goths should be measured by them?????

I hate to throw cold water on that.....but in the 10 plus years I was a Goth...I participated in events and music  festivals in multiple states, two continents...etc.    

Your neighbors are your neighbors...but do not extend how they act and behave to the rest of the Goth-ish world.....

It's rather like assuming that Christians are all crazy bible thumping lunatics who speak in tongues and handle snakes.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
I was a goth once.  It was pretty cool. We ended up sacking Rome. Here is a photo of me back in the day. I'm the one on the left.

God bless!

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »
First of all...

Paganism does NOT equal goth.

Considering I used to be a goth, I just might know a bit more about it than you would think.

Yes, there is overlap, just like there is overlap between many different groups.  But that does not make your neighbours the poster children for Goth. 

But honestly since I am wasting my breath....I will leave it at that.....

I'd have said the same, if we weren't at dinner at the time of posting. :P

We may have put aside the fashion sense, Denise (except for special occasions ;)), but gothery is more a matter of music and literature than how much black kohl we wear.

'Kids in black = satanism'. Are the 80s coming back? What has Tipper Gore to say about it?

Corpsepaint looks silly when fresh and ridiculous when mixed with sweat. Both Kiss and Alice Cooper abandoned it 30 years ago. Clue?

And Marilyn Manson? He may have had some shock value 15 years ago. Now he's just establishment.

They didn't get the message in Tampa, FL,  this is where the Goths there all hang out:

Would they be allowed into more mainstream establishments?

I've had reactions to my own outfits (which ranged from Trinity to Vanessa Ives) range from indifference to 'point and laugh' to being cussed out in the street, as if it were any of their business.

So you are making the assumption that the 'goths' of your acquaintance, representative of -one- city in the US are in essence so 'prototypical goth' that all goths should be measured by them?????

I hate to throw cold water on that.....but in the 10 plus years I was a Goth...I participated in events and music  festivals in multiple states, two continents...etc.    

Your neighbors are your neighbors...but do not extend how they act and behave to the rest of the Goth-ish world.....

It's rather like assuming that Christians are all crazy bible thumping lunatics who speak in tongues and handle snakes.

But you also are saying that since you claim you were a goth you know 100% about it.   I only shared what I witnessed, and it did include much paganism.  I was careful to say that they only let people into their group by sponsorship, so perhaps you would not have been allowed to be a part of this group.  I have a right to share my views and experiences, even if you don't like it.

I'm not sure why I hit a nerve with you, but it seems to have happened. Let's just move on.    

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
I was a goth once.  It was pretty cool. We ended up sacking Rome. Here is a photo of me back in the day. I'm the one on the left.

Hey, were you an actor?

My son played a part in a movie dressed up like a goth.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
All I have to add to this discussion is that I went to a MM concert 7 years ago, and it was a good show. Nothing crazy happened, and no one threw eggs.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »

Ah, reenactments... The good old days of the SCA... I miss it. No Ren Faires around here, unfortunately. :-\
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
All I have to add to this discussion is that I went to a MM concert 7 years ago, and it was a good show. Nothing crazy happened, and no one threw eggs.
I think you forgot to mention that you sacrificed an infant and drank the blood of black goats.  It is usually toward the end of the show, right after the part where everyone slashes their wrists and pledges their souls to Satan.  You are right though, no one throws eggs.  That would just be disgusting.
God bless!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »

Ah, reenactments... The good old days of the SCA... I miss it. No Ren Faires around here, unfortunately. :-\
Confession time. That isn't actually my picture.  :(

But I do know a guy who does SCA as a viking and goes around the world teaching swordplay and combat with axes.
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »

But I do know a guy who does SCA as a viking and goes around the world teaching swordplay and combat with axes.

I was going to say that you looked quite handsome.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »

My friends' swords were what I envied most from our events. Although I considered myself lucky not to have to knit chainmail.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2014, 02:42:32 PM »

LOL! Too bad it's not you.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

Yes, Trisagion, have you posted a picture of yourself here lately?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »

Uh oh!  Play on, Trisagion!
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »

That should have been your first clue that it was not me.   ;D
God bless!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
The real story here is that people are still paying attention to Marilyn Manson.

That shtick wore out in 1998. Cut that, it wore out whenever he released Antichrist Superstar.

I remember my friends talking about how his music wouldn't really make you kill yourself even though the nightly news said it would, but after everyone kept playing The Dope Show I wanted to throw something out of the window at minimum.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:47:51 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »

As a matter of fact, I have never posted a picture of myself.  It isn't really out of any concern for privacy so much as it is that people would run screaming from the forum never to return.  I would like of you all to just imagine me as the strapping Gothic fellow up above with my trusty dog that I ended up skinning and wearing across my shoulders.
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
I was a goth once.  It was pretty cool. We ended up sacking Rome. Here is a photo of me back in the day. I'm the one on the left.

Confession time. That isn't actually my picture.  :(

As a matter of fact, I have never posted a picture of myself.  It isn't really out of any concern for privacy so much as it is that people would run screaming from the forum never to return.  I would like of you all to just imagine me as the strapping Gothic fellow up above with my trusty dog that I ended up skinning and wearing across my shoulders.

Aren't those grey fox pelts?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:49:57 PM by Maria »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
He (MM) was the most obnoxious guest ever to be on Talking Dead.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
I was a goth once.  It was pretty cool. We ended up sacking Rome. Here is a photo of me back in the day. I'm the one on the left.

Confession time. That isn't actually my picture.  :(

Aren't those grey fox pelts?
We can call them that if it makes you feel better.  ;)
God bless!

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »
I remember my friends talking about how his music wouldn't really make you kill yourself even though the nightly news said it would, but after everyone kept playing The Dope Show I wanted to throw something out of the window at minimum.

We're all stars now...

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
He (MM) was the most obnoxious guest ever to be on Talking Dead.

YES. For being such a huge fan of the show, he couldn't even remember Rick's useless wife's name. And then he said something about one of the women being emotional because she was on her period. He'd fit in here with that comment.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »
There are a lot of women with PMS and abortion issues.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »

A woman with PMS is definitely not on her period. ::)

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »

A woman with PMS is definitely not on her period. ::)

Oh, I know some women who have PMS all the time, or at least they would like you to think that!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »

what does that have to do with anything?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 03:08:47 PM »

We're all stars now...

Ugh, now I am going to have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day and then probably play it in my car on the way home.  I have his greatest hits cd, though I think I stuck it in the NWA case.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

My friends' swords were what I envied most from our events. Although I considered myself lucky not to have to knit chainmail.

Don't get me started...
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »

Don't get me started...

You made your own chainmail?

Could you give us instructions? Could come in handy with zombie wars.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »
Wow that's really grown a lot, vamrat!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »

Don't get me started...

that's really impressive!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »
So, I did a google search for SCA, and this is what was displayed:

Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
Sexual Compulsives Anonymous: SCA

Refresh my memory, please. What does SCA stand for?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:51:35 PM by Maria »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
There is nothing that makes me more sexually compulsive than seeing this:

God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »

Not a pretty picture: lacking in sobriety and also very dissipative.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »

Guy in the back row on the far left. He's less ugly than some of the comments on this board of late.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »

Don't get me started...

Yeah, sure. First, make sure you have a boatload of patience, then get yourself a good helping of carpel tunnel...

In between patience and never using your hands again it's just European four-in-one pattern.  Here is the essence:

I recommend 14ga wire and knippex cutters are a God-send.  Far better than dremmeling or using normal wire cutters. If I ever get around to taking pictures of an in-progress section I will post it somewhere.

As for making the shirt it has been a lot of trial and error.  If you've ever sewn clothes you are probably a step ahead of me.

Offline The Fool

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »
I was unaware that it was appropriate to abuse icons by using them as weapons.  ???

;)
"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2014, 05:49:04 PM »

Don't get me started...

Yeah, sure. First, make sure you have a boatload of patience, then get yourself a good helping of carpel tunnel...

In between patience and never using your hands again it's just European four-in-one pattern.  Here is the essence:

I recommend 14ga wire and knippex cutters are a God-send.  Far better than dremmeling or using normal wire cutters. If I ever get around to taking pictures of an in-progress section I will post it somewhere.

As for making the shirt it has been a lot of trial and error.  If you've ever sewn clothes you are probably a step ahead of me.

I use Simplicity, McCalls, and other patterns to make my clothes (long and medium length skirts, long and short-sleeved shirts, PJs, shorts, jumpers, vests, slacks, underwear, aprons, and quilts).  However, I have found mistakes in most patterns because some cannot use the more tailored look of flat feld and French seams. I usually make a muslin trial before using any expensive fabric on a new design.

A pull over vest might be the pattern you might want.

Too bad you cannot use chainlink fencing.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »

What is the dude on the right wearing in place of chainmail?

The one on the left looks like he is wearing bands of metal.

Offline The Fool

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorica_segmentata on the left.

Looks like leather on the right.
"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
The real story here is that people are still paying attention to Marilyn Manson.

Thank you.

You could also add jokes about Eastern Europeans being a good 15 years behind on popular culture, some reference to them flooding still-open Tower music stores in Moscow to get this music on cassette tape, etc.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:22:37 PM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »

The guy on the right is wearing lamellar armor.
God bless!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »
How did this thread become LARP dominated?

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2014, 11:44:35 PM »
We started with a musician larping as a shock rocker, being assaulted by people larping as Christians. It really wasn't that much of a leap was it?

Oops... I was supposed to be watching Netflix so I couldn't make such posts... :angel: