Author Topic: I need help to understand the Anglican Daily Prayers.  (Read 2000 times)

Raylight

I need help to understand the Anglican Daily Prayers.
« on: July 04, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
English is not my native language, I'm sorry for any misspellings.

I've mentioned before that Anglicans in my country are very small minority, there is no bookshop or something place like that where you can go and buy books and things related to Anglicanism. So my only source so far is the internet.

I was trying to find the daily prayers according to the Anglican Tradition. I come across this website http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html

I don't quite understand what is the Rite I and Rite II ? And which ones I can pray by myself on daily basis ?

I appreciate any help. :)

Offline Mockingbird

• Mimus polyglottos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Episcopal Church
Re: I need help to understand the Anglican Daily Prayers.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »

I've mentioned before that Anglicans in my country are very small minority, there is no bookshop or something place like that where you can go and buy books and things related to Anglicanism. So my only source so far is the internet.

I was trying to find the daily prayers according to the Anglican Tradition. I come across this website http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html

I don't quite understand what is the Rite I and Rite II ? And which ones I can pray by myself on daily basis ?

Hi, Raylight.

In addition to the St. Clare link you found, here is another, called St. Bede's Breviary:

http://haligweorc.org/breviary/index.php

Just click the button labeled "Pray the Office" and it will take you to a full-text office with
psalms, readings, canticles, and prayers appropriate for the day.

The Episcopal Prayer Book also has a set of short devotions that might be a more
convenient starting-point for someone who is new to the Prayer Book:

http://sheena.home.mindspring.com/devotions.html

Two forums, besides this one, where you can get good answers to your questions
are the "Ecclesiantics" board over at Ship of Fools:

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6

and the Anglican Forum

http://forums.anglican.net/

"Rite I" and "Rite II" are the same service.  The difference is that "Rite I" uses
the old-fashioned pronouns "thou" and "thee" for the second-person singular,
the old-fashioned verb-endings -(e)st for 2nd-person singular and -(e)th for
3rd-person singular, and a few other archaic words like "vouchsafe".   The
Rite-II service is in a more contemporary form of English.  

Anyone can say the office alone, and anyone can lead the
office.  But only a priest can say the words of absolution after the confession
of sin (a layman substitutes a prayer for forgiveness).

I just noticed that this was my 100th post on the OC.net forum.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:12:35 PM by Mockingbird »
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.--Byrhtferth of Ramsey

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Hey Ray!

Consider praying the hours of the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.
They are so rich as 99% of our hymns and services come from the Bible. And our hymns were written by the Holy Saints.

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Mockingbird

• Mimus polyglottos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Episcopal Church
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
Hey Ray!

They are so rich as 99% of our hymns and services come from the Bible. And our hymns were written by the Holy Saints.

Ninety-nine percent of all nouns and verbs occurring in the Orthodox Orthros and Verspers services occur in direct quotations from scripture?  I doubt it.  But the question deserves a separate thread.
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.--Byrhtferth of Ramsey

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
This is a free-for-all thread.

I am protesting the promotion of Anglican Daily Prayers, which services have been adulterated and continue to be adulterated.

During the Oxford Movement, there was hope that the Anglican Church might come around and become more Orthodox, but now with the ordination of women priests and worse, lesbian and gays as Bishops, they have really lost it.

Thus, I cannot recommend any of the Anglican Daily Prayers.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Raylight

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »

Hi, Raylight.

In addition to the St. Clare link you found, here is another, called St. Bede's Breviary:

http://haligweorc.org/breviary/index.php

Just click the button labeled "Pray the Office" and it will take you to a full-text office with
psalms, readings, canticles, and prayers appropriate for the day.

The Episcopal Prayer Book also has a set of short devotions that might be a more
convenient starting-point for someone who is new to the Prayer Book:

http://sheena.home.mindspring.com/devotions.html

Two forums, besides this one, where you can get good answers to your questions
are the "Ecclesiantics" board over at Ship of Fools:

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6

and the Anglican Forum

http://forums.anglican.net/

"Rite I" and "Rite II" are the same service.  The difference is that "Rite I" uses
the old-fashioned pronouns "thou" and "thee" for the second-person singular,
the old-fashioned verb-endings -(e)st for 2nd-person singular and -(e)th for
3rd-person singular, and a few other archaic words like "vouchsafe".   The
Rite-II service is in a more contemporary form of English.  

Anyone can say the office alone, and anyone can lead the
office.  But only a priest can say the words of absolution after the confession
of sin (a layman substitutes a prayer for forgiveness).

I just noticed that this was my 100th post on the OC.net forum.

That is very helpful. Thank you so much :)

Raylight

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Hey Ray!

I used to pray the Orthodox Church prayers of the morning and evening. But the situation today is different :)

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »
Hey Ray!

I used to pray the Orthodox Church prayers of the morning and evening. But the situation today is different :)

Today.... ;)

Raylight

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
Hey Ray!

Today.... ;)

:)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:51:23 PM by Raylight »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »
Hey Ray!

Today.... ;)

Today, if you hear the voice of the Lord, harden not your hearts

(Invitatory of Matins quoted from memory).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:51:27 PM by Maria »

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
Hey Ray!

And clearly none of the Anglican services even make reference or allusion to Scripture, let alone using it!  Also, I recently found out that 85% of our hymns were written by goat-worshipping Satanist members of the Illuminati.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
Hey Ray!

And clearly none of the Anglican services even make reference or allusion to Scripture, let alone using it!  Also, I recently found out that 85% of our hymns were written by goat-worshipping Satanist members of the Illuminati.

Not by the actual goats?  ;)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
Hey Ray!

Not by the actual goats?  ;)

They wrote the other 15%.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »

Yay!
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »
Hey Ray!

You must be unfamiliar with the Anglican Office, which is almost all straight Scripture but the collects.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »
I know who wrote your hymns, I just don't know who came up with this new version of "Christianity" that you guys embraced...

I'm obviously referring to the past 50 years, not Henry VIII.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:00:50 PM by Hamartolos »

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 02:31:03 AM »
I'm Byzantine Catholic, and I know and use the Anglican daily office, as well as the Byzantine Cycle and the Roman Breviary. There's nothing wrong with being a spiritual mongrel, as long as you are trying to keep a prayer rule. To explain: The opening is an invitatory sentence, like "When the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive." The, there's an invitation by the minister for the congregation to make a general confession, which is said, and an absolution is made by the priest. Then the usual invitatory. "O Lord open thou our lips/and my mouth will shew forth they praise. O God, make speed to save us/O Lord, make haste to help us." This is followed by a Glory Be and the brief "Prasie yet... The Lord's name..." response, and then the psalms from the Anglican 30 day psalter (I know, similar to the Roman 4 week cycle, but not the 1 week Kathisma cycle), and with an Old and New Testament reading between Gospel canticles afterwards. If Mattins, the psalms are prefaced by The 94th psalm "Venite exultemus Domino", and after those, the Te Deum Laudamus or Benedicite Omnia Opera, and then either the Benedictus or Jublitate Deo psalm. If Evensong, then it's the Magnificat and the Nunc Dimmitis. After this is the Apostles Creed and the fairly standard Triple Kyrie, Our Father, and Preces: "O Lord, shew thy mercy upon us./And grant us thy salvation. O Lord, save the Queen/And mercifully hear us when we call upon thee., etc." Since you're likely American, you should omit the prayer for the Queen in there. I'm British-raised, so I use it, but- okay, getting off topic. Anyway, that is followed by three collects, one of the Week, the other two unchanging, and Five more prayers, of which two should be omitted because unless you're either British, British-raised, in a Commonwealth Realm, or a giant Anglophile, the prayers for the Queen and the Royal Family will be odd at least. This is concluded by the verse from Corinthians "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Ghost, be with us all evermore. Amen."

Now, if you're serious about using it, if you have a Bible on hand, you can easily use the 30 day cycle schedule of psalms, obtaining the actual list of what psalms go for what day from this source: http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/psalter/index.html

There's a bit of explanation, and I hope you find it useful!  ;D
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.