OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 05:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy as nation/culture?  (Read 979 times) Average Rating: 0
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« on: April 22, 2005, 04:47:53 PM »

I have been reading many posters here who hold views that engage cultural and nationalistic views in discussion of Orthodoxy as a organization. I'm interested in finding out why you believe/say some of the things that you do.
If you hold a belief that

a culture is at the center of the essence of Orthodoxy (ie Greek, Slavic, Russian, Serbian, Arab, etc)
that God will restore an Orthodox empire or that Orthodoxy is meant to operate in a certain kind of governmental structure

or anything that seems similar to those, will you explain your views and where you are coming from with them? There seem to be so many on this site that it is the best place to have this opinion/attitude explained. What does it mean for Orthodoxy? How do you think Orthodoxy should be represented in the world?

Qui cantat, bis orat
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »

that God will restore an Orthodox empire or that Orthodoxy is meant to operate in a certain kind of governmental structure

That sounds more like dispensationalism to me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 04:50:41 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:08 AM »

Lord said: "the Reign of Heaven is inside you".

Do you think that "an Orthodox empire or ... a certain kind of governmental structure" can also be accommodated inside you ?

I think not.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 05:41:34 AM by lpap » Logged

Life is to live the life of others.
Justionios

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »

I also question the topic ?
 How could you save most souls ? If you do orthodoxy as something nationalistic or cultural you will have alot of quantity , but if you do it as god religon you will have quality, what do you prefer ?

I prefer quality, but from quantity you can find quality , I think , suppose , maybe it is like that, I don't now u tell me what do you thiink quality or quantity, how can you get it both ? I had put alot of thougts on it

Secondly I belive that all orthodox shoulds try to learn Koine , (old greek dialect on wich the spoke in the byzzantine empire).
I belive that it is something special with that language and that's way God chooce it.

In Christ
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 01:08:05 PM by Justionios » Logged

ΧΑΙΡΕ ΑΝΟΡΘΡΩΣΕΙΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ , ΧΑΙΡΕ Κ
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »

There has been some talk of certain cultures being "Christian" innately-the implication is not that only that culture has Christians, but that the culture should be spread to all cultures--that one culture/mindset is supreme and better for Christians than others...I don't agree with this idea, but I'm trying to get a better understanding of it. If no one steps up, I may link a few previous conversations where I became aware of the topic to begin with.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: