Author Topic: Saudis threaten non Muslims with deportation for not observing Ramadan  (Read 3586 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Saudis will deport non Muslims

Saudi Arabia has threatened to deport any non-Muslim foreigners who don't respect the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan by eating, drinking or smoking in public.

An interior ministry statement on the official SPA state news agency urges non-Muslim expatriates in the kingdom to "respect the sentiments of Muslims by not eating, drinking or smoking during Ramadan's daylight hours in public places, including roads and workplaces."

Those who violate the regulations will be deported or sacked, according to the statement.

"They are not excused for being non-Muslim," it said, adding that "anyone living in this country should follow the laws of the Kingdom, including respecting religious sentiments".

Religion of_________________(insert adjective here) indeed.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Gkterra

• Formerly know as findingfaith
  • ακραία αμαρτωλός
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Not of this Earth
Who cares ? they've got oil, that's all that matters right ?  ;)
Do unto others as You would have them do unto You.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
I wonder if they search people for carrying a canteen of water that some weaklings feel they may need on a cool 100°day?
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Well, in a few decades, when we are all under Islamic domination, then we will be in a real pickle.

http://myocn.net/christian-birth-rates/
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
The hubris. Islam of this imperial kind is damned to fail.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Syriac.Aramaic

Couldn't say it better myself!

My cousin was in dubai during ramadan, and got a ticket for drinking water in public. Note that it was over 30 celsius or more.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:23:26 PM by Syriac.Aramaic »
Rejoice in the joy of our god.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
Their country, their rules. Don't like it, get out.

That goes for immigrants everywhere.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches

I would agree, but Muslims would never accept the situation if the position were reversed.

Can you imagine the world outrage, especially from Muslims, if a "Christian nation" did the same things with regard to the Great Lenten fast threatening to deport non Orthodox Christians?

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

Who's "their" in your post? A king doesn't "own" his country, except in fevered imaginations such as yours can be. If this ruling were the result of a true and broad public outcry, then what you say might follow.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic

I would agree, but Muslims would never accept the situation if the position were reversed.

Can you imagine the world outrage, especially from Muslims, if a "Christian nation" did the same things with regard to the Great Lenten fast threatening to deport non Orthodox Christians?

First the "Christian nation" would have to get the Orthodox to obey. 
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
A king doesn't "own" his country, except in fevered imaginations such as yours can be.

Try telling that to King Abdullah. Probably you'll get your head chopped off, proving the country to be his.

The king of Saudi Arabia is the legitimate ruler of the land.

If this ruling were the result of a true and broad public outcry, then what you say might follow.

The genocide in Rwanda was the result of "a true and broad public outcry".

There's no such thing as a "general will", nor would it be a good thing to base public policy on, were it to exist.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:26:03 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
Can't wait until they run out of oil in 2030 and have no real economy to sustain the country. Maybe that will humble their arrogance. They certainly won't be allowed to get away with all of their crimes and abuses once the petrol runs out.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:29:34 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
A king doesn't "own" his country, except in fevered imaginations such as yours can be.

Try telling that to King Abdullah. Probably you'll get your head chopped off, proving the country to be his.

If this ruling were the result of a true and broad public outcry, then what you say might follow.

There's no such thing as a "general will", nor would it be a good thing to base public policy on, were it to exist.

I see you typing such things from a throne of purloined couch pillows.

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
It's a tough question: would I rather be a "good" Moslem or a "bad" Christian?

One answer we have been given is: only God is good.
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
I love our Saudi Arabian ally friends.  ::)
God bless!

Raylight

Are we gonna play it that way ? Eye fro an eye ?

Plus, there are many Muslim countries where you are allowed to drink and eat during Ramadan.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches

Plus, there are many Muslim countries where you are allowed to drink and eat during Ramadan.

At least until the jihadis kill you.
God bless!

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
I was in Turkey during Ramadan, Cappadocia specifically, and their observance of the fast seemed truly reverential to me. Orthodox Christianity is where it's at for me, but Islam done right is IMO a whole lot better than nothing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:02:55 PM by Georgii »
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches

How can we play it that way since there is no real "Christian" nation, let alone one that would do as the Saudis are!  It's strictly hypothetical.  Does that escape you?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches

I see you typing such things from a throne of purloined couch pillows.

I didn't purloin any pillow.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
I was in Turkey during Ramadan, Cappadocia specifically, and their observance of the fast seemed truly reverential to me. Orthodox Christianity is where it's at for me, but Islam done right is IMO a whole lot better than nothing.

So is Hinduism "done right." Heck, it's not only better than nothing, it's better than Christianity "done wrong." The same could probably have been said about a number of extinct religions, also.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals

No, he isn't. That Wahhabi Saud dynasty are a bunch of imposters who got to power with Britain's help. Only the Hashemite dynasty are legitimate rulers of Arabia.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches

No, he isn't. That Wahhabi Saud dynasty are a bunch of imposters who got to power with Britain's help. Only the Hashemite dynasty are legitimate rulers of Arabia.

And how's that legitimacy claim working out for them these days in Saudi Arabia?  They got Jordan at least.

Offline Charles Martel

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Taxiarches
But actually it hasn't. In a long, long time.

The hubris is really on the Saudi guests in their country if they don't at least respect their cultural and religious laws.

They can go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:14:12 PM by Charles Martel »
Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.

Offline Charles Martel

• Taxiarches
Couldn't say it better myself!

My cousin was in dubai during ramadan, and got a ticket for drinking water in public. Note that it was over 30 celsius or more.
He either didn't know the rules (which I doubt) or he has no discipline.
Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.

Offline Charles Martel

• Taxiarches

Difference is, many Muslim countries are still principled in many ways. While "christian" nations don't stand for much anymore.

As a matter of fact, many Muslims would probably adhere to some traditional Christian  disciplines before most christians would.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:44:13 PM by Charles Martel »

Offline Charles Martel

• Taxiarches
I like the concept of Ramadan, I think it would take some serious mental, physical and spiritual discipline to not eat, drink or smoke from sun-up to sun-down. Something, quite frankly, most Americans couldn't begin to fathom or even attempt to try.

Take a look around, that's all Americans do is eat and drink and smoke to their hearts desire.

They're pathetic.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
I like the concept of Ramadan, I think it would take some serious mental, physical and spiritual discipline to not eat, drink or smoke from sun-up to sun-down. Something, quite frankly, most Americans couldn't begin to fathom or even attempt to try.

Take a look around, that's all Americans do is eat and drink and smoke to their hearts desire.

They're pathetic.
Maybe, but the concept get markedly less romantic when you have government officials threatening to beat the crap out of your for screwing up some obscure Ramadan rule.
God bless!

Offline Charles Martel

• Taxiarches
I love our Saudi Arabian ally friends.  ::)

They're pathetic.
Maybe, but the concept get markedly less romantic when you have government officials threatening to beat the crap out of your for screwing up some obscure Ramadan rule.
I highly doubt that. You would probably just be told to leave quietly if you refuse to respect their religious/cultural values.

They're not clubbing anyone there for nothing. And God forbid if they did. If some sancrosanct beligerent American or Westerner refused to abide by their rules and got slapped around a little it would be global news. Remember the little American punk over in Asia that recieved a spanking for vandalising cars over there and the "international" outrage over it? the Saudi's don't need that publicity.

Besides, if your a foreigner residing in the Kingdom over there  and the rules for Ramadan are somehwat "obscure" to you, you're either full of it, braindead or don't have a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:14:58 PM by Charles Martel »

Offline Charles Martel

• Taxiarches
Saudis will deport non Muslims

Saudi Arabia has threatened to deport any non-Muslim foreigners who don't respect the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan by eating, drinking or smoking in public.

An interior ministry statement on the official SPA state news agency urges non-Muslim expatriates in the kingdom to "respect the sentiments of Muslims by not eating, drinking or smoking during Ramadan's daylight hours in public places, including roads and workplaces."

Those who violate the regulations will be deported or sacked, according to the statement.

"They are not excused for being non-Muslim," it said, adding that "anyone living in this country should follow the laws of the Kingdom, including respecting religious sentiments".

Religion of_________________(insert adjective here) indeed.
Just wondering, why are you blaming the religion instead of the Kingdom that's creating these laws?

It's not Islam that's the problem. Well for you anyway.

Most "muslim" countries don't enforce Ramadan rules  on non-muslims.

Offline saint samuel

Re: Saudis threaten non Muslims with deportation for not observing Ramadan
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
How tolerant and peaceful of them
The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms Alexander Hamilton

Offline Aquensis

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »

They're pathetic.

I honestly can't even think of a single person I know who smokes, or the last time I saw someone smoking. And very few people who drink. In university there were basically no students who actually liked to go out and get drunk or party. And the weirdest thing is I always see Muslims (in full out burqa or thawb and with zibiba on forehead so there is no question of them being Muslim) buying wine at the grocery store.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »

Yeah but that's assuming all non-Muslims there are immigrants when I'm sure many of them are not.