Author Topic: church award to the main communist  (Read 18701 times)

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

church award to the main communist
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:28:28 AM »
Yesterday Patriarch Kirill (the head of Moscow Patriarchate) gave a church award to the head of the Communist Party of Russia Mr Zyuganov. Partiarch gave him an award "Glory and Honour".
This is Zyuganov:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:29:21 AM by Alexander_Kuzmin »

Offline The Fool

Re: church award to the main communist
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 04:02:05 AM »
What is the background to this?
"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:58:58 AM »
Zyuganov had his 70-th birthday yesterday, this is the reason. Patriarch gives church awards for different politicians (including Muslims and Judaism leaders) and businesmen (including those who sell vodka or cigaretts).

Here is a businessman Ivan Savvidi. He looks very religious here with Patriarch Bartholomew, isn't he?

Patriarch Kirill even gave him an award of St.Seraphim of Sarov.

Although the key business of this man is producing cigarettes, especially the cigarettes for young women and children. Their advertisement is aimed to teenagers. Here are some examples:

These are real adult tobacco cigaretts advertised for children, they have sweet filters:

The sign in Russian says: "If it is forbidden, but you want it..." (every Russian knows the end of this saying "...then it is permitted"):

And other ads like this.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:00:47 AM by Alexander_Kuzmin »

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 05:05:43 AM »
What do you think of this?
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:05:54 AM »
Well that's awkward. I'm a smoker myself but IMO that kind of ads should be forbidden.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 05:07:49 AM »
and it reminds me of Patriarch Bartholomew gifting a Koran to a Coca Cola Executive

as seen here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0PSYG30BRY&feature=youtu.be&t=32m15s

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:13:59 AM »
I think this is terrible (I do not know English word that is strong enough for this).
There was a scandal with this advertisement and now they use a little more modest one and they do not produce the ones for children now. But they still do ugly things. St.Seraphim of Sarov does not deserve it.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »
St.Seraphim of Sarov does not deserve it.

I think that sums up my opinion too

Offline The Fool

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:47 AM »
This is pretty disgusting.
"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 06:52:56 AM »
(I do not know English word that is strong enough for this).

"It's an outrage" might be what you have in mind, or more colloquially "it's a crying shame".

Based on that story about St. Seraphim, there's also the Russian expression "bear's service". Or in other words, we need those cigarettes like we need a hole in the head. With friends like these, who needs enemies?
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
and it reminds me of Patriarch Bartholomew gifting a Koran to a Coca Cola Executive

as seen here

Ah, yuck.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 10:05:10 AM »
lol.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »
The marketing of cigarettes to children reminds me of this SNL skit, featuring Jon Bon Jovi.

http://www.frequency.com/video/snl-s33e03-vinny-vedecci-jon-bon-jovi/93284303/-/5-2291
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
(I do not know English word that is strong enough for this).

"It's an outrage" might be what you have in mind, or more colloquially "it's a crying shame".

Based on that story about St. Seraphim, there's also the Russian expression "bear's service". Or in other words, we need those cigarettes like we need a hole in the head. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

From the Onion Dome, we have English with a Russian accent: Is Outrage!
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »
I think this is terrible (I do not know English word that is strong enough for this).
There was a scandal with this advertisement and now they use a little more modest one and they do not produce the ones for children now. But they still do ugly things. St.Seraphim of Sarov does not deserve it.

It is atrocious and sacrilegious. May St. Seraphim of Sarov appear to him in his dreams and convert him.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
I'll offer "despicable."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Georgii

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
Or how about if St. Seraphim's bear slaps him upside the head - gently - until he gets the message.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
From this side of the 'pond',i.e. the USA, I feel compelled to say that the behavior of the Patriarchs in this regard is 'so old country.' Oh well....we have our own vices over here....

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »

These are real adult tobacco cigaretts advertised for children, they have sweet filters:

It's funny. It says:
"Sweet Dreams... Smoking Kills."
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Georgii

• Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
From this side of the 'pond',i.e. the USA, I feel compelled to say that the behavior of the Patriarchs in this regard is 'so old country.' Oh well....we have our own vices over here....

True. I've been over five months in the US this time, and am flying back to the Old Country tomorrow. I live in the city of Augsburg, Germany, where history tells us perhaps more than in other places that you don't have to agree with other people's religious practices, but you don't have to go killing them, either, even with second-hand smoke. Tobacco is originally an American product, after all ;-)

Saint Afra, pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »
Thank you for the words!

And on comments about this:
"It's funny. It says: "Sweet Dreams... Smoking Kills.""

"Smoking Kills" sign is to be added according to Russian laws, and this sign or similar signs are on every pack of sigaretts that are sold in Russia.
And a month ago a new law came to power in Russia: it is prohibited now to smoke in any publick place: in the restorants, in the trains (even if the train goes for a week)  and everywhere. I already know people who try to smoke less because of this law. Poor Orthodox manufaturer!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 02:47:13 AM »
Somebody said very precisely about this church award to the main communist: Patriarch has spat on the graves of all the martyrs that were killed by communists.

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 03:29:38 AM »

as seen here

Come on, there is no comparison.

Patriarch Bartholomew gave a gift of their "scriptures" to a Moslem, a Turkish-American, Michtar Kent, who has supported and intervened on behalf of the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople with his Turkish compatriots. His All Holiness did not give him an official award of the Church.

Patriarch Kirill on the other hand, gave a Church award to a proudly boisterous Bolshevik, the party responsible for the elimination of 2/3rds of the hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church, and the forced imprisonment, persecution, and torture of countless millions of devout clergy and lay Orthodox Christians, Gennady Zyuganov, who is and has since 1993 been the First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CCCP). Yes, the Communist Party, the people who brought you, "Religion is the opiate of the people;" the folks who instructed all teachers in the Soviet Union during the Communist Party's rein of terror to begin all school days with the greeting , "Good morning, there is no god." Zyuganov also fought Mikhail Gorbachev's "perestroika" and "glasnost" policies.

Patriarch Kirill's actions in connection with Zyuganov are an abomination of an exceedingly high order.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:35:03 AM by Basil 320 »
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:39 AM »

as seen here

Patriarch Bartholomew gave a gift of their "scriptures" to a Moslem, a Turkish-American, Michtar Kent, who has supported and intervened on behalf of the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople with his Turkish compatriots. His All Holiness did not give him an official award of the Church.

Patriarch Kirill on the other hand, gave a Church award to a proudly boisterous Bolshevik, the party responsible for the elimination of 2/3rds of the hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church, and the forced imprisonment, persecution, and torture of countless millions of devout clergy and lay Orthodox Christians, Gennady Zyuganov, who is and has since 1993 been the First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CCCP). Yes, the Communist Party, the people who brought you, "Religion is the opiate of the people;" the folks who instructed all teachers in the Soviet Union during the Communist Party's rein of terror to begin all school days with the greeting , "Good morning, there is no god." Zyuganov also fought Mikhail Gorbachev's "perestroika" and "glasnost" policies.

Patriarch Kirill's actions in connection with Zyuganov are an abomination of an exceedingly high order.

I didn't say it was comparable, I said it reminded me.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »
And a month ago a new law came to power in Russia: it is prohibited now to smoke in any publick place: in the restorants, in the trains (even if the train goes for a week)  and everywhere.
Wow. Russia is changing.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Georgii

• Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 05:16:07 AM »
A lot of old Soviet movies, and especially children's cartoons, are really good, but I could never agree with my namesake "on zhe Goga, on zhe Gosha" from Moscow Does not Believe in Tears, who declared that Diocletian was "a pretty decent emperor". After all, it was under Diocletian that our Saint Afra and many others were martyred.

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
I'm wondering, having said all we've said above, despite Zyuganov's affiliation and leadership in the vile Communist Party, as someone noted that he is a devout Orthodox Christian, what is the Church's reason to make this award; has this guy done something of merit for the Church?

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »

as seen here

When millions of Orthodox Christians were murdered and martyred by the Ottoman and the Muslim hordes, who were encouraged by the Quran to do so, how can the EP give a Quran to a Muslim leader?

When millions of Orthodox Christians were murdered and martyred by the Communists during the 20th century, how can the MP give an award to a Communist leader?

I do not see any difference between the actions of the EP and the MP.  Both are giving frivolous awards honoring these antichrists.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
We are to love and pray for our enemies.

No where in the Holy Bible does it say to award them with honors.

There is a difference.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
Yesterday Patriarch Kirill (the head of Moscow Patriarchate) gave a church award to the head of the Communist Party of Russia Mr Zyuganov. Partiarch gave him an award "Glory and Honour".
This is Zyuganov:

Is this reported in any reputable news source such that you can post a link to it? I'm sure there are some people here who would like to read this story for themselves so they can verify that it's not from a Russian version of the Onion.
Not all who wander are lost.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »

as seen here

LOL.

Patriarch Kirill gave an award to the head of the Communist Party in Russia.  I'm not sure why he thought it was appropriate to bestow an official Church award on her behalf to this person considering what he represents.  Perhaps there was some other reason for it, but it still looks odd.  Even so, it seems to be little more than a certificate, a trinket made at Sofrino or some medal factory, and a photo op. 

Patriarch Bartholomew gave what he called "the Holy Quran, the sacred book of our Muslim brothers" to a Muslim who has helped the Church.  I have no problem with wanting to recognise such people, but why a Quran?  Why not a Bible?  After all, this is a bishop who, like all bishops, was ordained with the Gospel book on his head precisely because it is his duty to rightly divide the word of truth.  What's he doing handing out Qurans?  Is this part of "rightly dividing the word of truth"?   

But even if he didn't want to give a Bible to a Muslim because of how sensitive an issue that can be or because he doesn't feel right giving the sacred things of the Church to those outside of it, was there absolutely nothing else he could give as a token of esteem?  These are usually symbolic things anyway, it's not like the recipient needs it or will use it.  Why not some handicrafts made by artisans of your community?  Or maybe an album of photos documenting positive aspects of Christian-Muslim relations?  Does anyone in your community write fine literature?  Hasn't His Holiness written books himself?  What about an iPod with a collection of his speeches on the environment?  What about a painting of the guy's hometown or something? 

Secular and ecclesiastical leaders routinely give and receive such gifts which have symbolic value.  So why does an Orthodox bishop give out Qurans?  I notice that you were rather stingy with the details of the EP's gift, but went into great detail about the Communists.  One can only conclude that you wanted to make some sort of anti-MP comment.  Otherwise you wouldn't have neglected to mention that the EP gave "the Holy Quran, the sacred book of our Muslim brothers" to a Muslim, a member of the community which, whether rightly or wrongly, claimed that very book as the authority for this:

But none of this helps you criticise the Patriarch of Moscow, does it? 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
This is Zyuganov:

Here is another source for this news story:

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-patriarch-orthodox-zyuganov/25438091.html

Please read this entire article for more incriminating information on Zyuganov.

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church has awarded Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov with an order for "glory and honor."

Patriarch Kirill gave the order to Zyuganov in Moscow on June 27, one day after the longtime communist leader celebrated his 70th birthday.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:35:36 PM by Maria »

Offline Alexander_Kuzmin

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
Peter, here is the information about this award to Zyuganov on the official website of Moscow Patriarchate:
http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/3679826.html

And it was reported by many new-agences, here is the list of 56 of those who reported.
http://news.yandex.ru/yandsearch?cl4url=tvrain.ru%2Farticles%2Fpatriarh_kirill_nagradil_zjuganova_tserkovnym_ordenom-371037%2F&lr=2

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »
You haters of the Ecumenical Patriarch are incredible. You take a thread about the Russian Patriarch honoring his nation's leading Communist, for "protecting traditional moral values," and turn it into another attack upon the Ecumenical Patriarch.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 05:56:16 PM by Basil 320 »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
You haters of the Ecumenical Patriarch are incredible. You take a thread about the Russian Patriarch honoring his nation's leading Communist, for "protecting traditional moral values," and turn it into another attack upon the Ecumenical Patriarch.
You don't think there's an analogy between one patriarch awarding a high honor to the leader of a political party that's directly responsible for murdering millions of Christians and another patriarch honoring a Muslim with the gift of a book that is itself responsible for sanctioning the murder of millions of Christians? Why are you so quick to blast the former but defend the latter? Why are you trying so hard to dissociate the two?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:16:41 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 06:46:23 PM »
You don't think there's an analogy between one patriarch awarding a high honor to the leader of a political party that's directly responsible for murdering millions of Christians and another patriarch honoring a Muslim with the gift of a book that is itself responsible for sanctioning the murder of millions of Christians? Why are you so quick to blast the former but defend the latter? Why are you trying so hard to dissociate the two?

Because they are WHOLLY UNRELATED and not analogous acts. The topic of the thread is "Church award to the main communist."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:47:42 PM by Basil 320 »

Offline xariskai

• юродивый/yurodivy
  • OC.net guru
  • יהוה עזי ומגני
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 07:21:16 PM »
I'm going to disagree vehemently with just about every one else in this thread.

Every article I have read (and every post in this thread) fails to mention what Zyuganov was being honored for. That might matter unless we are to believe every human being is simply an angel or demon through and through, and no person who has ever done anything wrong should ever be commended for doing anything right ever.

Shortcomings aside Zyuganov can be commended for continually underscoring the absolute wrongness of the anti-Christian campaigns of the former Soviet authorities; e.g. "Russia is a multi-national country. It has representatives of all the world religions, and we have always found and will find a common language with representatives of any religion. This is necessary for the strengthening of the government."

Despite his public stance many here are condemning him with regard to those anti-Christian campaigns he has, praise be to God, come to  repudiate and stand publicly against. Thank God people can change! -whether their hearts are even changed (we do not know either way) at least they have changed the horrors of yesteryear so we can live in a more peaceful world today -I'm for commending anyone who does that.

On a spiritual level if on no other level I would think prayerfully about this before praying "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" before continuing to condemn anyone, even with a legion of faults, for specifically something they now stand against. "But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." -Matt 6:15

Or let's just condemn everyone for whatever evils they have done even if they on the surface at least appear to have reversed course while hoping like good Orthodox Christians will that the Son of God does not treat *us* like that on judgment day. [/rant]

For the record, lest anyone hurl accusations of bias, I'm neither Russian Orthodox nor Marxist. "Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor" -Romans 13:7.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:54:51 PM by xariskai »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »

Because they are WHOLLY UNRELATED and not analogous acts. The topic of the thread is "Church award to the main communist."
Could it be that you see them as WHOLLY UNRELATED because you're under the jurisdiction of the EP and feel the need to defend your hierarch? Some people here see an analogy between one patriarch's gift to one person and another patriarch's gift to another. I agree with them that there is a connection worthy of discussion, a connection to which you appear to have blinded yourself by your allegiance to the EP.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:33:45 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »

Who hates the Ecumenical Patriarch?  Not me. 

Who hates the Patriarch(ate) of Moscow enough to grab the opportunity to attack him/it lest someone's tangent about the Ecumenical Patriarch doing a similar thing take off? 

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 08:51:55 PM »

And yet you can't handle any criticism of the Ecumenical Patriarch(ate) even in threads about him/it.  You pull this same stuff there too. 

I find it remarkable that all you can do is cry foul and accuse people of hatred, but you can't or won't respond to any of the substantial points I made or questions I asked.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »
Another one who was awarded this years before is... drum roll...

FIDEL CASTRO EVERYONE!  ;D

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E%D1%80%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BD_%D0%A1%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B2%D1%8B_%D0%B8_%D0%A7%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B8

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:02:27 AM by Nephi »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2014, 12:09:55 AM »

St. Eugene Rodionov, pray for us!

Umm, I don't think he's been officially glorified as a saint yet, so painting icons of him with a halo is a bit premature.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:10:10 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2014, 12:35:21 AM »

Umm, I don't think he's been officially glorified as a saint yet, so painting icons of him with a halo is a bit premature.  ;)

Evgeny was officially declared a Saint on August 20, 2002. A Church in his name was built in Hankala, near Groziniy. It is the only Orthodox Church in Chechnya.

http://facingislam.blogspot.com/2013/05/new-martyr-evgeny-rodionov-of-chechnya.html
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/05/saint-evgeny-rodionov-new-martyr-of.html

I personally heard him commemorated during the reading of the Synaxarion at Matins in a Greek monastery on 23 May. 

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »

Amen.