OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting Recipes  (Read 27034 times) Average Rating: 0
eleni

« on: April 21, 2005, 10:56:31 PM »

We dont have long to go for our Pascha.....here is a recipe, that i modified from the original....

Chocolate lenten cake

1 1/2 cups of plain flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of cocoa
1 teaspoon of bicarbonated soda/small teaspoon of baking powder.
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla pure essence or the sugar type and if you like
 (2 teaspoons of rose water .....if you like ,otherwise it does not matter)
1/2 cup apple sauce .......home made is fine(boil apples preferably green  and cook till soft and mash them)
1 cup of water

Pre heat oven ////170 celsius(spelling)or not too hot the oven

Mix plain flour,sugar,cocoa,bicarb soda and salt.....
Add vanilla(and rose water if you like),
apple cider vinegar and apple sauce...do not stir too much .....
it will make all the air
 come out from the mixture....add the water to make a not too thick mixture...

You can add some turkish delight cut into pieces before baking cake......
Or you can add chopped fresh dates in the mixture before baking....Or walnuts ..
place them into patty cups or cake tin whichever prefered....
......use a non stick pan, or small patty tins...the paper ones...
bake for about 30 minutes.......or until a skewer(wooden stick)
 comes out clean when put into the cake mixture...

when cake is done, you can sprinkle with some Rose essence
or leave it without/whatever is prefered
...dust some icing sugar on top
 or use icing and cocoa to make a choc topping....
Icing sugar/cocoa and little bit of water to make thick icing...

This cake is a little changed from the cook book of lenten cooking
and what i got from the internet...

enjoy....but not too much...

NOTE//some turkish delight list ingredients....gelatine if it says
 make sure it is not from an animal...if it does not say it..
then it is from an animal
otherwise gelatine from vegetable gum or seaweed gelatine  is fine.
(many lollies have beef gelatine added...if its not listed, then be sure it has beef gelatine)

This cake is very tasty and low in fat.......the oil or butter replacement is ...APPLE SAUCE..
Glory be to God...
helen

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:36:17 PM »

Bean Rolls with Guacamole & pico de gallo

Teka Molino restaurant in San Antonio has been serving bean rolls for as long as they've been open (which is more than 45 years).  This recipe serves 3 to 4. 

12 corn tortillas
1 12-oz can vegetarian refried beans
corn oil or Pam spray
dash of Liquid Smoke or hickory smoke liquid

Heat beans in microwave with a few drops or a dash of the Liquid Smoke (for that authentic fried-in-lard taste of real refried beans).

Brush both sides of the tortillas lightly with corn oil (both sides) or spray with Pam.  Brush a cast iron skillet with oil or spray Pam and heat on medium high till not quite smoking.  Drop in tortillas one at a time, and heat on both sides for about 10 seconds.  You are just trying to heat them through, not brown them.

Put approximately 3 tbsp. of beans on each tortilla, roll up and keep covered in a warm (175 degree) oven till ready to serve.  Serve with guacamole and pico de gallo.

Guacamole
2 large, ripe avocados, seeded (always buy an extra, cause you can always count on 1 bad one)
1 lg. clove garlic, put through a garlic press
juice of 1/2 lime
salt (about 1 tsp)

With heavy fork or in a food processor, blend all ingredients till avocados are just smooth (don't overprocess).

Pico de gallo

1/2 onion, diced small
2 fresh jalapenos, seeds removed, diced small
2 large tomatoes, seeds removed, diced small
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped roughly
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 12:05:24 PM by FrChris » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »

Another one similar to that is this bean and potato taco that is a favorite at my house:

Bean and Potato Tacos

12 corn or flour tortillas
1 12-oz can vegetarian refried beans
1 16 oz package thawed of Southern Hashbrowns with bell pepper and onion (southern hash browns are cut in squares dice)
1Tsp of Chili Powder
dash of Liquid Smoke or hickory smoke liquid
Traditional condiments (chopped fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chopped jalepenos)

1.  Take the hash browns and heat them according to package  under a broiler until browned then add them to a heated can of vegetarian refried beansn (eiether  from a microwave or stovetop) [On saturday and Sunday they can be fried in oil)
2.  You may add 1 tsp of chilipowder and/or 1/2 tsp of Mesquite Liquid Smoke.

3. Microwave the tortillas until hot (45 seconds to 1 minute).  Serve them at the table for a do it yourself meal. We provide the usual Tex-Mex condiments of  chopped fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chopped jalepenos, you may even add soy cheese that is grated.   As  side items we offer spanish coleslaw, spanish rice, guacamole,  pico de gallo, and taco sauce or salsa.

4. To make the tacos, simple place a table spoon of the potato and bean mixture in the tortillo and then stuff it with the condiments you like and then fold it in half  and eat with your hands.

Thanks for the  Bean Roll Recipe, it is definitely a nice  addition to our Lent menus.

THOMAS
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:38:26 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »

Both of those sound quite good.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 05:10:17 PM »

Liquid Smoke seems to be quite popular around Great Lent!  I bet you could add it to just about any kind of beans or TVP chili.  This gets into that grey area of Lent (and I've heard it argued by strict Vegans too), that we're just bending the rules to make things taste a little "meatey".  Same with soy cheese, coffee creamer and seitan Chik-N patties.  I don't think I've got the will power to just eat seeds and greens though.

Thomas - I'll have to try the bean & hashbrown version.  Sounds good.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »

Oringinally submitted by TinaG:

Roasted Corn & Potato Chowder

5 ears sweet corn, cleaned or 2 1/2 cups frozen
1 large fresh Poblano chile, whole (2 if you like spicy)
4 green bell peppers, whole
1 onion, diced
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
8 med. red potatoes (diced small, leave on skins), about 4 cups
approx. 10 cups water
1-2 tbsp vegetable boillion paste
1 cup chopped cilantro (add less if you prefer)
black pepper
vegetable oil
brown paper bag

Preheat broiler.  Rub each ear of corn with a few drops of oil and place corn, whole poblano chiles, and whole bell peppers under broiler on a baking sheet.  Turn frequently till corn is light golden brown, and chiles and peppers are slightly charred all over.  Place peppers and chiles into a paper bag and steam for a few minutes.  Cut corn off cob with sharp knife.  Peel skins off peppers and chiles, discard cores and seeds (don't rinse the peppers/chiles in water), chop roughly.

(If you don't have fresh corn, use frozen corn, but omit the broiling.  Just add to the chowder.  See below.)

In 2 tbsp. oil, saute onion & garlic till limp.  Add water, potatoes, and vegetable base.  Bring to a gentle boil, then lower heat and simmer till potatoes are only just cooked.  Don't cook till mushy.  Add poblano, bell pepper, corn and heat through.  Ladle out about 2 cups of soup w/ potato, peppers, corn, and about 2 tbsp. of the chopped cilantro into a food processor.  Blend till creamy.  Be careful while blending very hot liquids.    Return creamed soup to the remaining vegetables in the pot, stir to mix, add rest of chopped cilantro, season with black pepper and serve with corn tortillas.  Serves 4.

(For a non-lenten version, I will add 1 cup of heavy cream or 1 cup fat free Land-O-Lakes half & half.)

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

Originally posted by Donna Rose.  I had asked about birthday cake for my daughter whose birthday is March 25th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny you should ask this...my birthday was last Friday, and my godmother sent my mom a recipe for a lenten cake to make, in case my mom was going to make me a cake (I live in a non-Orthodox household, but my mom is very supportive of me during the fast). We wound up not having the time to make the cake for last Friday, but I plan on giving it a go as soon as I have a bit of time. Here it is:

Lenten Chocolate Cake

3 cups flour
    2 tsps. Soda
    7 tbsps. Cocoa
    1 tsp. salt
    2 cups sugar
    3 tbsps. Vinegar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups cold water
    powdered sugar (optional)

Measure flour, soda, cocoa, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl.  Add vinegar, vanilla, oil, and water and mix well.  Pour batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Let cake sit for 1 hour and then sprinkle powdered sugar on the top or use a non-dairy vanilla frosting... I think Duncan Hines has a couple.

The only thing is that this recipe calls for vegetable oil...depending on how strictly you and your party guests are observing the fast, this may pose a problem. Perhaps ask your priest if for that one day oil might be something you can cook with? Also, my godmother noted to me after sending this to me that if you use raspberry vinegar instead of regular, it adds a nice lil berry taste to the cake. I haven't tried baking this yet, but it seems easy enough. Maybe do a test run a few weeks before the party to make sure it comes out good? If you do, let me know how it tastes!

In Christ,
Donna 
suzannes

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »

I'm sure most people are, so to speak, seasoned fasters and don't need this, but... If anyone has a Christmas Tree Shop in their city, they are a GREAT source for unusual brands, hard to find foods, etc.  If you're a creative cook, which I'm not, I'm sure you could find *tons* of ingredients for Lenten meals.  I bought some tasty rice crackers and a Thai noodle dish that you just need to nuke.  We have a MAJOR supermarket chain where I live, and still, I saw a lot of products I've never seen before.  Their prices are decent too.

Suzannes' idea was posted in another thread, but I thought it would fit best here.  Enjoy! - Cleveland, GM
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:17:57 PM by cleveland » Logged
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:28:02 AM »

Here is a protien rich fasting salad that makes a good Lunch main course as well:

MEDITERRANEAN LENTIL SALAD
Ingredients
1 cup dried lentils
1 small onion, chopped
1 quart water
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
3 green onions, washed and sliced
1/2 cup Italian no oil salad dressing
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
dash pepper

Directions:
   1. Cook lentils and onions in water, simmering 20-25 minutes until tender but not too soft. Drain.
   2. Mix lentils with peppers, tomato, scallions, Italian dressing, lemon juice,and pepper, and refrigerate until chilled.

(Another option adds 1-2 cups of cooked rice and increases the salad dressing
    to ¾ cup) Makes 6-8 servings.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:14:18 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:29:49 AM »

Hungry for a burger during  Great Lent why not try this one its packed with good things and tastes good as well---don't expect  it to taste meaty however:

Tofu Burger

Ingredients:

1 package firm tofu,drained
1/2 cup oatmeal
 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
1 green onion, finely minced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons potato flakes
 2 teaspoons soy sauce
 1/4 teaspoon crushed chili peppers (optional)
 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or one crushed clove
Canola Oil Spray or Teflon skillet

Directions:
   1. Mash the tofu.
   2. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
   3. Forms about 6 large patties and cook slowly on both sides in lightly oiled
   skillet or Teflon skillet over medium heat.
   4.  Cook the first side with the lid on, then remove lid for the second side.

Serve with the usual burger condiments.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 11:35:12 AM »

Here are two you may wish to try on St Patrick's day, sorry no green beer fasting recipes today.

St Patrick's Soup

St Patrick Potato soup is a soup named in honor for St. Pa¡draig. It is a modern soup never eaten by St. Paidraig as there were no potatoes in Ireland when St. Pa¡draig was there. This being said, it is an excellent fasting soup made from potatoes that uses oatmeal for thickening. It is interesting because it does not use milk, the common ingredient in most potato soups eaten in the US. Remember to use Irish cut oatmeal and not rolled oats when you  make this, it is quite different. This soup can be served with warm soda bread for a complete  Irish experience! 

Ingredients:
2 tbs fasting margarine (non-dairy or parve margarine)
1 medium onion, sliced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
4 carrots, peeled and finely diced
8oz mushrooms, sliced
½ lb green cabbage, chopped
pinch ground cloves (for a milder taste try nutmeg)
¾ pints vegetable stock
4oz Irish oatmeal (cut not rolled)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.  Melt the margarine in a large saucepan (You may sauté using water if on a no oil day).
2.  Add the onions, potatoes and carrots and fry gently for about 5 minutes until soft.
3.  Add the mushrooms, cabbage and ground cloves and cook for 5 minutes more.
4.  Add the vegetable stock and oatmeal, bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes
5.  Allow to cool, then puree in a blender or food processor until the soup is smooth. (If you prefer a slightly chunky soup,likle me, just puree half the mixture.)
6.   Return the soup to a clean pan and heat through gently. Season to taste.
7.   Serve in individual soup bowls.

Oatmeal Scones
These are a delicious breakfast treat or nice as an afternoon tea when friends visit in either fasting or non-fasting times.

INGREDIENTS:
   1/4 cup orange juice
   1/4 cup water
   1 cup dried currants
   2 cups rolled oats
   3 cups all-purpose flour
   1 teaspoon salt
   2 teaspoons baking powder
   1 teaspoon baking soda
   3 tablespoons white sugar
   1 cup fasting Margarine, cubed
   1 1/3 cups cold soy milk

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F .
2.Heat the orange juice and the water in a small pan, add the currants. Simmer the mixture for 1 minute, then let it sit until it cools slightly.
3.In a food processor, grind the oats with the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Add the butter. Run the machine in short spurts until the mixture has the consistency of sand. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
4.Add soy milk and orange/currant mixture to the large mixing bowl. Stir until the mixture begins to hold together.
5.Form the dough into a large ball with your hands, adding a bit of milk if necessary.
6.Press or roll out the ball of dough until it is 1 inch thick.
7.Cut the dough into 16 squares or triangles.
8.Bake the scones on an ungreased baking sheet for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned on the edges
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:16:07 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »

Try this delicious  carob fudge squares---no wonder it is said St John the Forerunner thrived when he  ate honey and  locust or carob beans when he was in the desert.

Carob Fudge (no-oil)

Ingredients:
1 cup of honey
1 cup of carob powder
1/2 cup of toasted sesame seeds
1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Directions:
1) in a sauce pan heat the honey and peanut butter gently.
2) Then fold in other ingredients when the mixture is soft
3) Pour on to a non-stick 8X8 inches baking dish or dish sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray
4) Spread to 1-2 inches thickness
5) Chill then cut into squares

FYI: In the Middle East the carob bean is called the locust bean.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 07:12:08 PM »

Tahini Soup

This is a Fasting substitute for "Avgolemono" (Egg & Lemon Soup) which is simpler to make, and I actually prefer the taste of. It can be made using a crock pot as well

1 Bunch of Bok Choy or 1 cup Kale chopped
2 Sticks celery chopped
1 large carrot peeled and diced
1 large parsnip peeled and diced
kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn  (or equivalent amount of frozen kernels)
1/2 cup peas
1 Spanish (red) onion peeled and finely chopped.
4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon or 1 cube vegetable stock powder
4-6 cups water
2 tbs White Rice
Juice of 1 large lemon
4 tablespoons tahini

Place all ingredients except lemon juice and tahini in saucepan and bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 45 min, OR place them in the crock pot and cook for 7-8 hours.
In a soup bowl, whisk tahini and lemon juice together, then carefully add a table spoon of the hot broth from the soup to the bowl and mix well. Keep adding spoonfuls of the broth and mixing, and the mixture will thicken in the bowl. When it is smooth and creamy, add it to the soup in the pot and stir well. If using stove top, bring it to the boil again three times or in the crock pot, allow to cook a further 30 mins stirring three times.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:27:31 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:42:22 PM »

Fasting Cookies (gluten free)
(I make these twice a week for a friend's local vegan cafe, and they are her best seller!)

300g (10.5 oz) Almond meal
180g (6 oz) Powdered sugar
60g (2 oz) Honey
1 tbsp Rosewater

Mix all ingredients until you get a tight dough. Shape into cookies and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in a low oven until lightly golden. When baked, dust with fine powdered sugar while still hot.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:47:31 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 10:50:13 AM »

Just have to tell everyone I've made a major discovery for myself.  French Lentils.  They are small and green and keep their shape and texture when cooked, as opposed to the brown or pink which fall apart so easily.  Made a pot of them with 2 heads of roasted garlic, oregano, veggie soup base and the oh-so popoular, Liquid Smoke.  Fabulous.

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »

Just made this.  It was great, hope you will enjoy it!

Lenten Minestrone Soup (vegan and oil free)

Ingredients:

o   4 garlic cloves, finely minced
o   2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
o   1 onion, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
o   1 leek (white part plus 1 inch green), well-rinsed, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
o   6 cups vegetable broth
o   2 TBsp tomato paste
o   3 cups finely shredded green cabbage (easily done in a food processor)
o   2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
o   1 potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
o   5 TBsp fresh Italian parsley or coriander, chopped
o   2 tsp dried oregano
o   2 tsp dried basil
o   1-1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
o   salt to taste (start with 2 teaspoons)
o   2 cups cooked kidney beans, drained
o   (4 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch dice (canned tomatoes work well)
o   1 cup small pasta (such as tiny shells, bow shapes, or macaroni)

Directions:
1.   Put about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch water in the bottom or your stew pot and add the garlic, carrots, onion, and leek. Cover and cook, steaming vegetables until they wilt, about 10 minutes.
2.    Add the vegetable stock, tomato paste, cabbage, zucchini, and potato.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and add parsley, oregano, basil, pepper and salt. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
3.   Add kidney beans, tomatoes, and pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Adjust the seasonings to taste and heat soup through.

Makes 6 - 8 portions, can easily be doubled as long as your stew pot is large-sized

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »

Made this recipe earlier this week. A new way to eat peanutbutter, delicious and simple to prepare!

Sesame Noodles

Ingredients
o   2-5 scallions
o   Several cloves garlic
o   Sesame oil
o   Grated ginger
o   1/4 cup tahini or peanut butter
o   2 T tamari
o   2 T red wine vinegar
o   Water or green tea
o   Broccoli, steamed
o   Tofu, fried
o   Noodles (udon, soba, or pasta)

Directions
1.   Chop up scallions and garlic. Sauté in sesame oil with some grated ginger and set aside.
2.   Mix up tahini or peanut butter, tamari and red wine vinegar and stir it up.
3.   Add water or green tea (if you have some) to thin it to a nice consistency. Adjust amounts of stuff as needed. Dump in the scallions and stuff.
4.   Steam up some broccoli and fry some tofu and when your noodles are done (udon, soba or regular pasta), mix the sauce with the noodles and throw on the broccoli and tofu.

This is good hot or cold.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:43:19 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 05:13:26 PM »

This year I've discovered that there is no better cuisine for fasting than South Indian, and it's basically what I've been subsisting on since Lent started. This is a dish that's pretty quick and easy to make and can be eaten with almost any meal and never gets old.

Sambar

Main Ingredients:
- 1/2 c red lentils
- 1 c mixed vegetables
- 2 fresh jalapeños, sliced in half down the middle
- lemon-sized hunk of dried tamarind, soaked in hot water and pulp extracted, or its equivalent in tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 3 tsp. sambar masala
- salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 or 3 dried red chilis
- 1/2 tsp. whole black mustard
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- a few curry leaves

Directions:
1. Pressure cook the lentils with 2 C water for 10 minutes, or boil them until they give up and turn completely mushy.
2. While the above is taking place, in a pan heat the oil on medium, and add the cumin, red chilis, black mustard, asafoetida, fenugreek, and curry leaves. Fry until the mustard seeds start to pop.
3. Add the mixed vegetables and jalapeños, and stir-fry for a few minutes.
4. Add the tamarind with its water, salt, turmeric, and sambar masala. If using tamarind paste also add 1 c water.
5. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender.
6. Add the cooked lentils with their water. If necessary, add more water until a thick soupy consistency is reached.
7. Serve with chopped cilantro. Goes well with rice, idli, or vada.

Note: you may need to make a trip to your local Indian grocery to pick up some of these ingredients.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:27:41 AM by yBeayf » Logged
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 02:49:37 PM »

Those noodles sound good!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 07:53:04 AM »

Eggless Pumpkin Waffles

2 1/2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 Tablespoons plain soy yogurt
2 cups soymilk
424g (15 oz) pureed pumpkin, fresh or canned
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Whisk wet ingredients together in another bowl.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
Use this batter as you would normal waffle batter in a waffle iron.

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 08:31:17 PM »

Hot Filled Pita Sandwiches (no Oil)

Combine the following in a bowl and mix thoroughly:
Ingredients:
1 c. mashed tofu (the firm, water-packed type works best)
1/2 c. tomato paste
1/3 c. finely-chopped onion
1/3 c. finely diced celery
2 T tahini (sesame seed butter)
1 t sugar
3/4 t salt
1/4 t dill weed
1/2 t dried oregano leaf
1/2 t dried basil
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1/4 t garlic powder

Directions:
1)   Blend everything together, place mixture in an air-tight container and chill several hours or overnight, before serving, to blend flavors.
2)   Split Greek-style pita bread or Arab pita pocket bread and fill with the stuffing mixture.
3)    Place on cookie sheet and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees until heated through.

These are good, we like them with a little chopped green onion just before eating them.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 02:46:45 PM »

Oatmeal/Banana/Blueberry cereal

Quick, warm and yummy for breakfast.

1 cup of water
1/2 cup of Oatmeal
1 very ripe banana (pureed)
hand full of fresh blueberries (dried blueberries are good too)
3 T. toasted whole wheat germ
optional 1/2 t. orange flower water (for a middle-eastern scent!)

Microwave the oatmeal and water for 2 minutes. Add the pureed banana, wheat germ, berries, and orange flower water.

alice

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »

In the spirit of Tamara's quick and practical breakfast idea, I offer this idea, which even my older children like!

Buy one of the bags of already shredded coleslaw in the prepackaged salad area of your supermarket. Find a Japanese or international specialty store and buy an Asian Ginger or Sesame Salad dressing (make sure it is not also a marinade--such as those found in supermarkets--their flavor and consistency will not do). Mix  together and you have Asian coleslaw! It is filling, easy and tasty!

Also, another quick Greek dish is this: in a pot place orzo pasta (enough for the amount of people you are cooking for), ample water mixed with store bought vegetable broth or vegetable bouillon, a few tablespoons of olive oil, and a large can of garbanzo beans with their water or without their water. (Their water adds more salt). Boil all together (make sure to keep an eye on it, and mix it periodically) until the orzo absorbs all the water. After it has, turn off the flame, and let cool a bit. When serving, add some more extra virgin olive oil on top for extra flavour if you like, and/or add some freshly grated pepper and you have a tasty, stick to the ribs, pasta dish-- Greek Lenten style.

Another tasty tip for all Lenten pasta dishes: In Sicily, this is called the 'poor man's parmesan' cheese, it adds crunch and flavor: make flavored Italian style breadcrumbs at home or buy store bought (although it seems that there are some non-fat milk solids in the bread in most commercial brands). Spray a tray with spray olive oil,  (these 'Pam' sprays are a must for cooking in helping to watch the waistline), spread the breadcrumbs on it, and place them in your oven/toaster for a few minutes.

Hope you like these ideas! Smiley

In Christ,
Alice
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:41:30 PM by alice » Logged
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 09:43:38 AM »

Here is a chili recipe given to me by my grandchild's God-mother, Mary:

Vegetarian Bean Chili

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots (or sliced)
1 seeded and diced bell pepper (green, red, yellow or orange)
1 cup chopped celery (or sliced)
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 Jalapeno pepper seeded, membranes removed, and very finely chopped
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 pound (16 ounces rinsed, drained, canned beans)
6 ounces of dried lentils (any color—brown, red, green)
1 can chopped tomatoes (14.5-16 ounce can)
1- 6 ounce can of tomato paste
2 Cups vegan broth (Use bouillon cube-any flavor [beef, chicken, or vegetable] follow package directions for amount of bouillon to make 2 cups of liquid)

Directions:
1.   First prepare and measure all ingredients in separate containers as follows:
a.   Onions and garlic
b.   Carrot, bell pepper, celery, and jalapeno pepper.
c.   Chili powder, cumin, oregano, cloves
d.   Lentils (dry weight)
e.   Beans (cooked, drained weight)
f.   Open can of chopped tomatoes, open can of tomato paste at both ends and set can in a bowl or dish.
g.   Dissolve vegan cube in 2 cups of hot water.
2.   In large heavy sauce pan (5 quart), heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic cook approximately 5 minutes or until onion is clear.
3.   Add carrot, bell pepper, celery, and jalapeno pepper, cover pan, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
4.   Add ¾ cup plain water.
5.   Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cloves; sauté, stirring another minute.
6.   Add beans and lentils; stir to combine.
7.   Add tomatoes and 2 Cups of broth. Stir well.
8.   Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
9.   When lentils are tender, uncover pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beans and lentils are falling apart and chili has achieved desired consistency, about 15 minutes.

Note: Mary adapted this recipe from an original one found in The Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook & Program Basics (1994). New York: A Prentice Hall/Macmillan Company, p. 290.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 09:45:45 AM »

Here is another one of Godmother Mary's recipes, a great and healthy substitute for a rice Crispie treat:

Sugared Date Squares

¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¾ cup dairy free margarine (or if feasting you may use butter)
8 oz package of chopped dates
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups oven-toasted rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup powdered sugar

Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan. In large saucepan combine brown sugar, margarine, and dates. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture is almost smooth; about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla, cereal, and walnuts. Spread in prepared pan. Cool completely. Cut cooled bars into 1-inch squares; coat all sides with powdered sugar. Makes 3 dozen bars.

She gave me some of these  two Sundays ago---wonderful fasting treat!!!

Thomas
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:24:26 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 10:23:45 AM »

I just sent someone  to this site and then realized that  some of the Thanksgiving recipes I mentioned were not posted yet.  Here are a few Thanksgivimng fasting  dishes you can take to a non-orthodox meal and  get great comments.

Pumpkin Tofu Pies
Ingredients:
1 29oz canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 16oz silken tofu (firm)
2 unbaked 9 inch pie shells

Directions:
1.Put into a clean bowl salt, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
2.Blend or food process the tofu until smooth.
3.Stir into the pumpkin mixture, and pour into the pie shells.
4.Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
5.Turn down the temperature to 375 and continue to bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Makes 2 pies

Roasted Pumpkin with Fall Vegetables (Oil days)
Ingredients:
· One 3lb. pie or sugar pumpkin
· 1Tbsp each olive oil and melted butter (I just used 2 of olive oil)
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 2 large carrots, sliced
· 4 small red potatoes, halved and sliced
· 1 apple, halved, cored and cut in 12 slices (I used Granny Smith)
· 1 medium onion, diced (I used 1 cup sliced green onions)
· 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
· 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped, or 1/4 tsp dried
· 1/8 tsp ground pepper

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400 F. Have ready a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch pan.
2. Cut top of pumpkin, about 2 in. below stem.
Scrape out seeds and stringy pulp with a spoon.
3. Mix oil and butter in a small cup.
Lightly brush some inside pumpkin, then sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of the salt.
Place cut side down at one side of the pan.
Pile carrots, potatos, apple, onion and garlic at other end of pan.
Drizzle with remaining oil mixture, then sprinkle with the remaining salt, the thyme and pepper.
Toss to coat, then spread out.
4. Roast 30 minutes, turning vegetables over once.
Increase oven temperature to 450 F, turn pumpkin over and continue roasting 15 minutes, turning vegetables once
more, until vegetables and pumpkin are tender.
Fill pumpkin with vegetables.
Cut in wedges to serve.
Serves 6.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 10:47:09 PM »

Making Chickpeas Less "Windy".
I tend not to eat too much of one of the fasting "staples", chickpeas, as they tend to give me wind, but I stumbled upon a tip in a Greek Monastery Cookbook which actually works (I tried it last night!).
You just need a tablespoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and a large sprig of rosemary.
Soak the chickpeas overnight as usual.
Drain them the next day and mix them with 1 tbsp of baking soda and let them sit for an hour.
Wash the chickpeas with plenty of water and drain.
When you boil them, add the rosemary.
Use the chickpeas as desired.

Try it! It works!

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 02:17:43 PM »

Sloppy Lentils
1  tablespoon olive oil 
1  medium yellow onion, chopped 
1  small red bell pepper, chopped (or green bell pepper) 
1  tablespoon chili powder 
1 1/2  cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed 
1 (14 1/2  ounce) can crushed tomatoes 
3  cups water 
2  tablespoons tamari or soy sauce 
1  tablespoon prepared mustard 
1  tablespoon light brown sugar 
1  teaspoon salt 
 fresh ground black pepper 

Heal the oil in a skillet over medium heat; add in the onion and bell pepper; cover, and cook about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in chili powder, stirring to coat. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker; add in the lentils, tomatoes, water, tamari, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Serve sloppy-joe style on warmed buns.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 02:51:10 PM »

Sweet, I was hoping you'd bring some recipes!   Grin  You make yummy things.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »

Here's an easy one:

Lenten Chick Pea "Saute"

Serves 3

1/4 cup white onion or shallots, small diced
2 cups fresh spinach
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed well
1/4 cup green peppers, small diced
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup craisins
3 tbsp fresh dill, minced
3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional, depending on the fast-- if you don't want to use oil, be sure to use a non-stick pan)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable broth
salt and white pepper, to taste

Begin by sauteing chick peas in the oil (or a little of the lemon juice/broth) first, as they take the longest to really heat through.  Be sure to season them well.  Next, add the peppers, onions and garlic.  Once these are nicely browned, add the spinach.  Deglaze with lemon juice and veg. broth (this means your pan will sizzle-- if it doesn't, everything will end up soggy).  The lemon juice and veg. broth will quickly reduce to coate everything nicely.  Last, add the herbs and craisins and combine well.  Season again.

*** Depending on the fast and one's own personal preferences and needs, adding feta to this recipe once you have taken it out of the pan really makes this dish yummy!  This is a great way to get kids to eat it, too...

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »

Traditional Ukrainian "svyata vecherya" (late-night supper on the Eve of the Nativity), twelve courses sympolizing the twelve Apostles:

http://veg.ca/content/view/288/112/

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/holidays/christmas/ukraine.htm

http://www.infoukes.com/culture/traditions/christmas/sviat_vechir.html

http://www.infoukes.com/culture/traditions/christmas/

http://www.geocities.com/ukrcustoms/

Love never fails.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »

well I'll be!  I can't believe these were sitting here all this time and I didn't pay attention. There is actually stuff without shrimp and soy on here!!!  some of these look fantastic!  You guys don't know how important it is to some folks health to find non soy, or seafood recipes!!

rebecca
kmm

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »

This is actually quite a tasty African/psuedo-African dish. I dunno the exact proportions of ingredients - just wing it:

In a pot or a frying pan cook onion, bell pepper, spinach (lots), and peanut butter together (put the spinach in last so it's not overdone).

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

Miso Soup

4 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons instant dashi powder
1/2 cup miso paste
1 tablespoon dried seaweed (for miso soup), soaked in 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cubed tofu (silken)
1 tablespoon chopped green onion

1. Boil water. Add dashi. Turn down heat. Stir.
2. Add tofu and drained seaweed. Let cook for a minute on low. In meantime, spoon 1/2 cup of the hot stock into bowl with the miso paste. Using chopsticks, mix to melt the miso paste so that it becomes a smooth mixture.
3. Turn off heat. Add all of the miso. Stir. Serve. Top with chopped green onion. Serves 4.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 09:58:33 PM »

^ Just a heads up for those who are strictly following the fast, dashi powder is made of fish.   Grin  Thanks for the recipe, friend!  Miso soup is one of my favorites!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »

Miso Soup

4 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons instant dashi powder
1/2 cup miso paste
1 tablespoon dried seaweed (for miso soup), soaked in 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cubed tofu (silken)
1 tablespoon chopped green onion

1. Boil water. Add dashi. Turn down heat. Stir.
2. Add tofu and drained seaweed. Let cook for a minute on low. In meantime, spoon 1/2 cup of the hot stock into bowl with the miso paste. Using chopsticks, mix to melt the miso paste so that it becomes a smooth mixture.
3. Turn off heat. Add all of the miso. Stir. Serve. Top with chopped green onion. Serves 4.

You may substitute vegetarian broth  or boullion cube for this just assure you cut down on the salt. This will make this dish  ok with  the fast.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 12:29:53 PM »

Here is another recipe :

Bulgur and Lentil Pilaf
Ingredients:
1 cup lentils
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 bay leaf
3 Tbsp. Fasting margarine
1 large onion, chopped
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 cup coarsely ground bulgur
Directions:
1) Rinse the lentils and put in a pot with enough broth to cover. Add bay leaf, bring to a boil and keep
covered. Turn off heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
2) While the lentils are soaking, melt margarine in a heavy pot. Add chopped onion, salt and pepper.
Saute until onions are tender and transparent. When onions are ready, keep heat at medium, stir in
bulgur and continue stirring until all the margarine is absorbed.
3) Lower heat to a simmer and add the rest of the broth and lentils in their broth. Bring to a boil,
reduce heat again, cover tightly and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed. Add more liquid
until the bulgur and lentils are cooked.

This is very nice served with a vegetable stew.

Enjoy, Thomas
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:17:35 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

Ethiopian Vegetable Stew

Ingredients:
1 large onion -- sliced
2 large carrots -- sliced
3 medium red potatoes -- cut 1" thick
¼ head cabbage -- sliced
8 ounces green beans -- sliced
3 cloves garlic -- peeled and crushed
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt -- optional
3 cups water
Directions:
1) Brown the onion in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
2) Add in the garlic and saute for one minute more.
3) Add all the vegetables and seasonings and mix well. Add the water, stir, and cook over low heat for
30-40 minutes. Serve hot.
Serves 6 over rice or bulgar pilaf , 4 as a main course alone.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »

Here is one of the grandkid's favorites!

Hawaiian Baked Beans
This is a simple quick to fix main course for Great Lent that tastes great!
Ingredients:
2 16-ounce cans baked beans -- (vegetarian style)
1 ½ cups crushed pineapple -- drained
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
2-4 Tablespoons maple syrup -- or other sweetener
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400. Combine all ingredients; stir well.
2) Spoon into a 2-quart casserole dish.
3) Bake uncovered at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
Makes about 6-8 servings.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »

This is a great and easy minestrone soup, I must admit I usually start off with more liquid and use a large bottle of V-8 Juice as my basie and double the frozen vegetables as I usually amke it for 8-10 people.  It is great even fior those who do not particularly like Minestrone soup.

Fast, Fast, Fasting Minestrone
Ingredients:
3 -4 cups vegetable broth, fatfree or V-8 Juice
14 ½ ounces stewed tomatoes -- Italian style
½ cup cooked macaroni OR ¾ cup instant brown rice -- uncooked
15 ounces kidney beans, canned -- drained and rinsed
15 ounces cannelini beans, canned -- drained and rinsed
16 ounces Italian-style vegetables – frozen type defrosted in microwave
2 teaspoons parsley
½ teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon marjoram
freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients in a soup pot.
2) Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
3) Add additional broth if it's not "soupy" enough.

This is great with a crisp crusted bread and fruit for a balanced meal.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2008, 01:03:11 PM »

Thanks everyone, for sharing all the great recipes! I have a request: does anyone have a recipe for Lenten Shepherd's Pie made with mushrooms instead of meat? I was served this somewhere recently and it was very delicious, but I can't find the recipe anywhere online. Thanks so much!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »

Tonight on the dinner table at Chez Veniamin...

Black beans and rice...with curry!

1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz.) can vegetable stock
4 tsp. curry powder

Saute the peppers, onions, and garlic until soft.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes until most liquid has boiled off.  Serve over rice.

Super easy, and really tasty.  I actually go heavier on the curry powder as well as using a specialty blend that's mixed with coriander.  You can also mix the beans with the rice and use as a filling in pita bread.  Yummy!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »

Buy soy dough in Wal-Mart (fruits and vegetables section). It is already prepared squares and easy to stuff.

Prepare mashed potatoe (using soy milk,  margarine, soy cheese or imitation cheese). Add finely chopped garlic,  seasoned salt and regular salt.

Chop mushrooms and green onion. Fry it on vegetable oil. When the mixture is ready add it to mashed potatoe.

Take the soy dough squares and stuff them with mashed potatoe-fried mushrooms mixture. Then fry rolls (pirogi) in vegetable oil.

It is very easy to cook and tastes kind of like fried Russian pirogi.

Would like to mention that this recepy is good for the days when we can use  oil.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:12:28 AM by Galina-Volga » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »

Thanks so much, Galina! I will have to try this. I figured it would be fairly simple to make, but wasn't exactly sure of the recipe! I believe the sisterhood also makes some sort of delicious gravy to serve with it.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »

I cooked it "na glazok" on Russian. It means (I am not sure that this is correct translation) on eye or by eye or by your taste.
Tags: Food recipe cake Lent fasting 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: