Author Topic: Homeschool VS Public School  (Read 107904 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Homeschool VS Public School
« Reply #675 on: February 06, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
Yes and not only that, the long hours away from family in a class of thirty with a stressed teacher is terrible. Childhood should be joyful and spent with family.

I assume that you don't have children of your own. Then you'd know how much more terrible it is to spend long hours with a stressed parent.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #676 on: February 06, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure I would kill my kids if I had to spend all day with them every day. I love them, but it definitely would not end well for any party involved.
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline Alxandra

• High Elder
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #677 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »
I am saddened to see how many siblings seem disconnected because of the long hours apart
Most siblings are grateful for being apart, because they despise each other.

Better relationships among siblings is actually one of the benefits of homeschooling. Fast paced lifestyles and the hours they spend apart at school is one of the reasons many siblings do not get along.
"Descend into your heart, and there do battle with Satan."
St Macarius the Great

Blog http://a-nastacia.tumblr.com/

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #678 on: February 12, 2015, 10:38:09 PM »
\\\\\
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:38:35 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline OrthoDisco

• Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #679 on: March 01, 2016, 05:54:54 PM »
Great thread. This is such a hard topic to have over a forum, but I love that people are interested in it.

I currently homeschool my 3 boys. They range in age from 7 to 11.  My initial reason for homeschooling involved having two kids who are on the autism spectrum, and a public school situation which I felt was  failing them. (I am not only talking academically, here.) I also have issue with curriculum which is completely biased, subtle (or not so subtle) propaganda, and "teaching" kids WHAT to think. Anyone who follows any of the homeschool/unschool  movements understands to what I might be referring. Although I don't consider us to be "unschoolers", I would describe as what we do as Eclectic-Homeschooling;
we use no formal curriculum but we do sometimes use a workbook,
we read from whatever sources we want and sometimes that includes a textbook,
we learn from daily life,
we set time aside to work on various skills,
one tiny question about something can easily turn into a learning project,
we have fun as a family exploring the environment and history of our part of the state,
we talk a lot about our personal struggles and how we can help each other,
the various topics we learn about are easily related to Orthodoxy, what we believe as Christians, and what "the rest of the world" believes, 
etc, etc, I could go on and make you bored, lol.

I am always open to the idea that public school, or a more formal type of learning, could be in our future once again. For now I am satisfied, and the kids are much happier, less stressed, and a lot better at articulating their struggles. I happen to have completed a science-based degree at university and, of course, I completely understand how a more structured learning can be valuable. I am also not frightened at the idea of my kids being "behind" the public school kids. Most of those kids won't remember half of the stuff they learned anyway. I sure didn't.  Kids are being smothered with information, "learning" too many things at once, and for what? Learning will always be taking place. In addition, not everyone wants to attend a university. I personally would have preferred to attend a trade school, and think highly organized schools tend to push the university emphasis too much. Take note, there are many intelligent people who have opted to school their kids at home and not use a formal curriculum or system.  From ex-public school teachers, to engineers, to scientists. Each have valid reasons and perspectives, and their stories are all over the web if you're interested. It's not just about freaked-out-christian-weirdos.

There are a lot of things I'd love say about the topic, but then this would be extreme tldr, lol. Suffice to say that we homeschool and we are happy about that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:00:07 PM by OrthoDisco »
Sent by my cat ^ⱷᴥⱷ^∫