OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:12:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vassula Ryden Excommunicated  (Read 60820 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2005, 01:21:21 AM »

I would agree with you.

Furthermore, if Mary were actually conceived without ancestral sin, then wouldn't her acceptance of the conception of Jesus have less meaning? Would that still have been as much of an act of free will?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2005, 06:31:27 PM »

...Mary represents the Immaculate conception of Our Lord....She didn't say; here's what i mean...' and provide the Catholic definition...

Christ said: "I AM the Ressurection and the Life"- did He mean "I represent the Ressurection and the Life"?
Christ said: "I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life"- did He mean "I rperesent the Way the Truth and the Life."
The "lady" of Lourdes said: "I AM the Immaculate Conception", if she means "I represent the Immaculate Conception of Christ" then why didn't the Holy Spirit appear with her and they both say "We ARE the Immaculate Conception." for we say that we believe that Christ was "incarnate of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary."
If this is what the "lady" of Lourdes means as you claim, then she seems to be taking sole credit for the Incarnation of Christ. Not only would this be heresy, but also blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. The "lady" of Lourdes would therefore be guilty of the sin "for which there is no forgiveness either in this world or the next."

Doesn't sound very "lady-like" to me!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:54:35 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2005, 02:33:07 PM »

Didn't Mor Ephrem believe in the Immaculate Conception?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2005, 03:48:59 PM »

Didn't St. Gregory of Nyssa believe in apokatasis? Does this make it Orthodox doctrine?

Ecumenical

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2005, 06:47:38 PM »

Please i would like to read your own opinions and thoughts about this matter.

I would post a link so you can read

http://www.tlig.org/index.html
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2005, 09:34:19 PM »

I don't have an opinion about Vassula Ryden but part of the reason I left Roman Catholicism is to get away from the conservative Catholic obsession with marian apparitions.  I understand that Vassula Ryden is part of that 'world' with the Medjugorje fraud. 
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2005, 09:43:58 PM »

This thread already exists here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php/topic,5923.0.html
And there is more here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php/topic,5923.0.html
Let's not give this poor deluded soul any more attention than required.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »

On Sunday, the priest's wife, the deacon and I had a conversation on the Orthodox position on the Immaculate Conception. She said that it undermines Mary's free will in accepting the conception and therefore, makes the act itself less meaningful.
On the other hand, she finds it to be a private theologoumena which would can believe, like Mor Ephrem, but is unnecessary to believe.

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Kizzy

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »

On the other hand, she finds it to be a private theologoumena which would can believe, like Mor Ephrem, but is unnecessary to believe.

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

For most of church history the details of the conception of Mary were not specificed by the church and the faithful were left to a 'private theologoumena'.  It is only in reaction to the RC doctrine that the subject has  become one of discussion. However, early writings of the church Fathers reveal a belief in her conception as immaculate- Several of the church Fathers in fact spoke of Mary as immaculate- St. Ephraem and also St. John of Damascus, to name a few. 

In XC, Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2005, 11:32:10 PM »

However, early writings of the church Fathers reveal a belief in her conception as immaculate- Several of the church Fathers in fact spoke of Mary as immaculate- St. Ephraem and also St. John of Damascus, to name a few.
Quote them please.
Even the Orthodox Church calls the Theotokos "Immaculate". She is called "Immaculate" and "Spotless" and "Pure". But where is she said to have been conceived Immaculate?
You're complicating a very simple question Kizzy.
The question is, did the Theotoks (and therefore the Human Nature of Christ) inherit the conditions of the Fall? The Orthodox say "yes", the Roman Catholics say "no." It's that simple.

Kizzy

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2005, 12:08:12 AM »

St. Ephraem-  "Most holy Lady, Mother of God, alone most pure in soul and body, alone exceeding all perfection of purity ...., alone made in thy entirety the home of all the graces of the Most Holy Spirit, and hence exceeding beyond all compare even the angelic virtues in purity and sanctity of soul and body . . . . my Lady most holy, all-pure, all-immaculate, all-stainless, all-undefiled, all-incorrupt, all-inviolate spotless robe of Him Who clothes Himself with light as with a garment . ... flower unfading, purple woven by God, alone most immaculate".

The angel Gabriel said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "full of grace" is a translation of the Greek word kecharitomene. It therefore expresses a characteristic quality of Mary.

'Full of grace' is very explicit and is not used to describe anyone else- not St. John the Baptist, or St. Anne... There is something different about the Theotokos as represented by all the language used to describe her in the HB.

In XC, Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2005, 12:36:42 AM »

Kizzy,

I fail to see where this quote asserts that she was conceived immaculately.  The Fathers do not say she was conceived immaculately because the Orthodox understanding of Sin and the fall makes it unnecessary for her to be conceived immaculately.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2005, 01:13:58 AM »

I fail to see where this quote asserts that she was conceived immaculately. The Fathers do not say she was conceived immaculately because the Orthodox understanding of Sin and the fall makes it unnecessary for her to be conceived immaculately.
Exactley. The "immaculate Conception is a stupid solution to a non-existant problem. If the Theotokos was conceived in exactley the same way all of us are conceived, why does she require the "singular priveledge" of an "Immaculate Conception" as defined by Roman Catholics doctrine? In order to reconcile this with Orthodox Doctrine, we would have to say that everyone is conceived immaculate. And there is the further point that if the Theotokos did not inherit the conequences of the Ancesteral Fall ("Original Sin"), then neither did the Human Nature of Christ. How then did they both come to experience the death of the body? And how can Christ save us from the consequences of the Fall by His Death and Ressurection if He Himself did not did not inherit them in His Human Nature taken from the Theotokos?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 01:37:29 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2005, 04:26:29 AM »

Didn't St. Gregory of Nyssa believe in apokatasis? Does this make it Orthodox doctrine?

I think that he did not, not in the context you are reffering.

He has talked about "apokatastasis" in the context of Acts 3:21 "whom heaven must receive until the period of restoration of all things about which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from ancient time." - (greek original: ++++ +¦+¦+¦ ++-Ã -ü+¦++++++ +++¦++ +¦+¦+++¦-â+++¦+¦ +¦-ç-ü+¦ -ç-ü++++-ë++ +¦-Ç+++¦+¦-ä+¦-â-ä+¦-â+¦-ë-é -Ç+¦++-ä-ë++ -ë++ +¦+++¦++++-â+¦++ ++ +++¦++-é +¦+¦+¦ -â-ä+++++¦-ä++-é -ä-ë++ +¦+¦+¦-ë++ +¦-Ç +¦+¦-ë++++-é +¦-Ã -ä++-Ã  -Ç-ü++-Ã¥++-ä-ë++")

Brother ozgeorge, you can find an essay for this issue here: http://www.pelagia.org/htm/b24.en.life_after_death.08.htm#re2

Life is to live the life of others.
Ecumenical

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2005, 05:25:01 AM »

Well thank you for your guidance i appreciate it.

God Bless

KALO PASxa KAI KALH ANASTASH
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2005, 06:03:28 AM »

Here is an example of St. Gregory of Nyssa's apokatastasis:
‘The avenging flame will be the more ardent the more it has to consume...But at last the evil will be annihilated, and the bad saved by nearness to the good.’
St. Gregory of Nyssa, On The Soul and Ressurrection.

Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2005, 09:39:30 AM »

Kizzy,

St. Ephraem-  "Most holy Lady, Mother of God, alone most pure in soul and body, alone exceeding all perfection of purity ...., alone made in thy entirety the home of all the graces of the Most Holy Spirit, and hence exceeding beyond all compare even the angelic virtues in purity and sanctity of soul and body . . . . my Lady most holy, all-pure, all-immaculate, all-stainless, all-undefiled, all-incorrupt, all-inviolate spotless robe of Him Who clothes Himself with light as with a garment . ... flower unfading, purple woven by God, alone most immaculate".

And alas, not a word of this equals the Latin dogma of the "Immaculate Conception."

The angel Gabriel said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "full of grace" is a translation of the Greek word kecharitomene. It therefore expresses a characteristic quality of Mary.

'Full of grace' is very explicit and is not used to describe anyone else- not St. John the Baptist, or St. Anne... There is something different about the Theotokos as represented by all the language used to describe her in the HB.

You need to stop reading Latin propaganda/apologetical materials, and delve more into the mind of the Church on this matter.  I say this, because your whole line of argumentation sounds like something I would have been pushing a few years ago when I actually was a Roman Catholic!  This is almost word for word what you'll find in a "Catholic Answers" tract.

As Bl.Justin of Serbia said "Papism is the oldest Protestantism."  Whether it be the filioque clause, papal infallibility, or the Immaculate Conception, these are all late coming doctrines whose justification is found through proof texting; which is precisely what Protestants do.  The apple does not fall from the tree, and the only thing which separates the two (Catholicism and Protestantism), is that the former will use a broader well of materials (sources besides the Bible) to concoct their novelties, and has a singular, authoritarian "final interpreter" who when he decides, can endorse one view over another.

The Latins are in this mess, because of their errors regarding grace, and the nature of redemption.  As such, they have incorrect views about the original/ancestral sin, what it is to be "redeemed in Christ", and as a result, just what was true of the "Old Testament Saints."  In fact this is precisely why, while the pre-schism Latins had the Holy Prophets of the Old Testament on their calendar and made Icons of them, they dropped this in the years following their schism from Orthodoxy.  I don't think it's coincidental at all, but reflects their errors on this subject.

Basically, the Latins don't think highly of Old Testament Saints.  I'm not saying they loath them, but they don't know what to make of them.  For example, that the righteous ones who lived before the Advent of Christ could attain divinization, and behold the uncreated Light, and taste profound depths of grace, just doesn't sit well with their view of "original sin", which would seem to preclude this.

OTOH, Orthodoxy has no problem with any of this; what changed with the coming of our Lord, is that He trampeled death, "ontologically destroying death" as Metropolitan Hierotheos puts it in his writings, and established the way for men to become true members of His very Body.  Thus, why those who repose blessed by God now do not descend into Hades; and also why the grace of God abounds all the more amongst men .

As such, the Mother of God does not need to be fundamentally "different" from the other righteous ones of the Old Testament.  In fact, as St.John Maximovitch writes in his little booklet on the Mother of God, the Latin doctrine of the "Immaculate Conception" is actually an implied slight against Her; for it fails to recognize that She became as She was, because of Her life long piety, perfect chastity, and profound asceticism.  The Mother of God is the greatest of hesychasts, and was such before this way was widely known amongst men (and had been only known and practiced amongst certain of the "schools of Prophets", who lived lives not much different from those of New Testament monastics - St.John the Baptist was the last of this type of Old Testament Prophet.)

I have to side with our Church, and St.John in particular who is a modern Saint that addressed specificially this heterodox teaching.  Normally I'm not this insistant, but the Latin "I.C." doctrine is not simply problematic because it is imposed as a dogma, but it's outright erroneous.  Thus it's not even a "theological opinion" to be tolerated.  It's heresy, and if memory serves, was one of the things I had to renounce (along with the "filioque", papal infallibility & universal juristiction, and satan) during my entrance into the catechumate.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2005, 07:04:53 PM »

Vassula's prophecy about the attack on the Twin Towers as Jesus' punishment for the evils of America

Here is the crux of Jesus said to Vassula: "How can I not breathe on these renegades My Purifying Fire? ... every evil built into Towers will collapse into a heap of rubble and be buried in the dust of sin."

This prophecy was given to Vassula on 11 September 1991 - ten years exactly before the Towers were attacked and collapsed!

Actually the whole prophecy is very heavy and is replete with Jesus' threats of vengeance and destruction. ”here's a lot of hatred in her revelations, mixed in with the sweet stuff.

Huh!ÂÂ  Who is this NULL who had added these four paragraphs into my message??!!
And how did he or she manage to do it back in 1969 when I wrote the message only two days ago!!!

« Last Edit: 31 December 1969, 19:00:00 by NULL

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 07:08:03 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2005, 01:19:55 AM »

What say the log files Bobby? Has the board been hacked or perhaps a back door has been inadvertantly left open?

Hermit, it might be an idea to report the post (even though it is your own) so all the admin's get an email regarding your post's modification.

John
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2005, 04:49:27 PM »

That problem has been around since the last time Bobby upgraded.  I asked him to fix it awhile ago but with him working full time and going to school full time don't expect it to be fixed any time soon Sad

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2005, 05:06:06 PM »

yea i had to write an on the fly database converter and it did alter a few posts. As anastasios said, I currently do not have time to fix these small items, but rest assured the board is not hacked and your posts weren't altered by anything malicious.

Thx
Robert
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2005, 09:39:58 PM »

Hermit, it might be an idea to report the post (even though it is your own) so all the admin's get an email regarding your post's modification.
That was the first thing I thought of... and I got this automated reply....

"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

Kiss Grin Roll Eyes
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2005, 01:28:08 AM »

That was the first thing I thought of... and I got this automated reply....

"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

Kiss Grin Roll Eyes

Oh yeah?
What about Confession !

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2006, 05:35:30 PM »

I know she has been discussed before, but I can't find the threads. 

Does anyone know if books, booklets, or any other kind of literature have been published refuting her?  I know there are websites which criticise her, but I am looking for something I can hand out to people. 

Unfortunately, there are women at my church who are getting into her.  My priest tells people she's not legitimate.  I also have handed people things printed out from the internet, including the letter criticising her written by the current pope back when he was a cardinal.  However, she still has a very strong draw and the standard reply is that those who oppose her are deceived by the devil. 

There is currently a "Bible study" being run by one of her followers not too far from our church.  A friend of mine who does not believe in Vassula was invited to it by a woman who used to go to our church.  My friend went out of curiosity.  She said they didn't study the Bible at all, just Vassula's writings.  She said the woman who was running it was an Armenian Orthodox who said she attends Catholic masses, even though she is Orthodox.  The woman also emphasized the need to say the Catholic rosary, gave out booklets on how to do the rosary, and spoke about how Vassula has converted to Catholicism now.  This is the first I have heard of Vassula converting to Catholicism.

Now I want people to know I am not "anti-Catholic."  I have friends and relatives who are Catholic, I am a great admirer of many Catholic saints and heroes (such as Mother Teresa) and I personally see nothing wrong with the rosary, although I don't think it is really appropriate for the Armenian Orthodox to say it, when we have so many wonderful, ancient prayers of our own.

However, I was really concerned about what my friend told me about her experience.  It is bad enough that people are being taken in by a woman whom I consider to be a fraud.  However, I am sensing an agenda to bring people from the Orthodox Churches to Catholicism.  I know her messages have a lot to do with "unity."  My experience has been that when certain people promote "unity" they are really talking about the people from one church converting to the other church.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if anyone knew of some good literature which refutes Vassula.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:30:33 PM by choirfiend » Logged

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2006, 12:36:42 AM »

Lord have mercy! My local parish had one of these Ryden Den of Vipers a few years ago. It was strange... this pack knew to not discuss their secret meetings with our parish priest since apparently they feared he would disapprove, yet they would recruit other sin our parish because they wanted to spread the word about her.So, like others trapped in wrongdoing and sin, theyÂÂ  know enough to hide thier activities yet try to drag others into their situation...

I recently came across this site, which has among other items the 1995 'Notification' about Ms. Ryden from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. This is helpful since it shows many of the problems Ms. Ryden is presenting as part of her True Life In God movement:

http://www.mypage.bluewin.ch/cafarus/tlignotification1.htm

concluding paragraph:

Given the negative effect of Vassula Ryden's activities, despite some positive aspects, this Congregation requests the intervention of the Bishops so that their faithful may be suitably informed and that no opportunity may be provided in their Dioceses for the dissemination of her ideas. Lastly, the Congregation invites all the faithful not to regard Mrs. Vassula Ryden's writings and speeches as supernatural and to preserve the purity of the faith that the Lord has entrusted to the Church.

Vatican City, 6 October 1995

Now, various people in league with Ms. Ryden have argued that this 'Notification' has been retracted, but the above site shows that this is not the case. (This above document was signed by a certain Cardinal Ratzinger, btw...)

One of the pages within the attached site is titled:

"Eternal condemnation of those who oppose the TLIG messages" and has the following excerpt:

As we have seen previously, TLIG's definition of these sins is modified in order to include whoever openly opposes the messages. It does so by affirming from the start that the messages are divine (in open contradiction with the Catholic Church's Notifications and the position of the Greek Orthodox Church) and that therefore to oppose them is to refuse God and Salvation.

The fact that Ms. Ryden is apparently inventing her own doctrine and threatening 'eternal punishment' for any who disagree with her should set off HUGE WARNING SIRENS in any rational person's head... Shocked

The website is mainly Catholic-oriented, but at least it does acknowledge that the Orthodox Church has not accepted her 'pronouncements' either.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 12:40:25 AM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2006, 06:14:32 PM »

Thanks for the info. You said the Vassula group at your church was around "a few years ago."  Did something happen to disband them?  I am assuming your priest found out about it.  How did he handle it when he found out?

I also want to ask if anyone knows of any official written church statements that have been issued about her, besides the Vatican Notification.  I'd like a link or a copy of anything issued by an Orthodox (EO or OO) priest, bishop or patriarch.  I keep hearing that the Greek Orthodox Patriarch excommunicated her, but I have never found any document which shows that.

I have been reading some of her "messages" which are on her website.  It's such drivel.  Some of the messages seem latently sexual in nature.  This is one disturbed woman.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2006, 07:00:34 PM »

Mrs Ryden seems to market to Roman Catholics but she, her teachings and messages have no standing in any church. She simply happens to have been born Greek Orthodox. Don't know if she's been formally excommunicated.

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2006, 02:11:39 AM »

I keep hearing that the Greek Orthodox Patriarch excommunicated her, but I have never found any document which shows that.

http://www.ecclesia.gr/greek/holysynod/commitees/heresies/heresies-0008.htm

Here's a bit of the link translated into English
Synodal Commission on Heresies and Sects.

"The Commission, having examined the evidence, has reached the conclusion that Vasoula Ryden is excommunicated from the Orthodox Church, although she still presents herself as a member.

"In addition it should be known that the Church periodical "Dialogue" has printed extensive reports regarding Vasoula Ryden's organisation.

"Vasoula has asked the Greek Minister of Justice to bring to trial for slander and libel both the Secretary of the Greek Orthodox Synodal Commission on Heresies, Fr Kyriako Tsoiro, and the Church publication. The trial was scheduled for 30 June 2000; however Ryden withdrew the charge two days before the trial was due to commence.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:14:55 AM by prodromos » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2006, 02:52:50 AM »

THANK YOU!!!

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2006, 05:02:06 PM »

Prodromos,

Thank you again.  This will be a great help.  Did you do the translation yourself, or was it online?  If it is online, can I have the link?  Also, the translation tells about a Church periodical called "Dialogue," which has printed reports about Vassula.  Is that, by any luck, on line and is there an English version of it?  I know it is a lot to hope for, but you never know.    Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2006, 02:06:28 AM »

For the sake of being complete, I thought I would post a link to the other thread which I couldn't find earlier:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=5925.from1123478395;topicseen

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2006, 08:28:13 AM »

It was posted by Fr Ambrose on the Catholic Answers forum originally and I think the translating was his own work, though he may have gotten it from elsewhere.

John.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »

Thank you again!

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2006, 07:33:44 PM »

A Vassula follower who has tried recruiting people from my church before is at it again.  This time she is claiming that Pope Shenouda has just recently endorsed Vassula and her messages.

Now I know this can't possibly be true.  However, I know that one of the tactics used by this heretic and her people is to claim that various church leaders have endorsed her when they have not. 

The reason I am writing this is to see if anyone has anything specifically by Pope Shenouda dealing with her.  I know that a little while back the metropolitan of the British Orthodox Church wrote a notice telling people to stay away from her.  Also, the Greek Orthodox Church has excommunicated her and Pope Benedict has written against her.  I want to know, however, if anyone knows of anything directly from Pope Shenouda. 

Here's a link to a thread I started about her last summer:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9511.0.html

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2006, 03:06:28 AM »

http://www.britishorthodox.org/113b.php

Above is a link to the memorandum about Vassula written by His Eminence Abba Seraphim of the British Orthodox Church.  It's toward the bottom of the page.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2006, 11:23:17 PM »

At this moment, HH Pope Shenouda seems to be tired and ill.  God willing though, the Coptic Church will not be silent.  Word will probably read His Holiness, and he may respond or send a bishop to respond in place of him.

Pray for his health.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2006, 03:10:26 AM »

I did not know His Holiness was ill.  I will pray for him.

Kreator

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »

Vassula Ryden is 100% genuine. This comes from an Athonite monk.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »

Which Athonite monk believes that a syncretist like Vassula is genuine?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Kreator

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »

You dont know him. He is a close friend to st Paisios and lives next to me in Greece. She is truying to convert those people.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:42:46 AM by Kreator » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »

There are Athonite monks who also believe that the Jooz are evil and taking over the world, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, everyone only speaks Greek in heaven and other silly things.  Should I believe everything any Athonite monk says?
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2007, 12:00:48 PM »

As I commented earlier regarding this Athonite monk, prior to the Data Dsetruction of the past two days:

Please provide a name and location of this alleged Athonite monk, as well as an indication of when this monk was granted infallibility regarding this matter.

I have a high admiration for thos eon the holy mountain. However, individuals have made mistakes in the past, and my own experience with folks misled by Ms. Ryden is that she is a very spiritually dangerous person and not one who should be listened to. Ever. Period.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »

So this "Athonite monk" who doesn't live on the Holy Mountain thinks that this woman who divorced her husband without obtaining an ecclesiastical divorce and then married again six months later in a civil ceremony without the blessing of the Church is an excellent spokesperson for Christianity?  Can you see why I might not be convinced?
I said it before- Vassoula appeals to people who know nothing about the Church, because she doesn't either.

Kreator

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »

His name is father John and he live is Psychiko Athens Greece. He does mass in Drossia next to where I live. It should be clear that a would be prophet would not go to such lengths to spread the faith. And one more thing how come you know so much on her personal life? I dont think it is any of your business.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »

. And one more thing how come you know so much on her personal life? I dont think it is any of your business.

It's actually quite in the public record and the most cursory news search on her turns up such basic information.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags: Vassula Theotokos Immaculate Conception heresy 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: