OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:33:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vassula Ryden Excommunicated  (Read 57947 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2007, 07:46:02 AM »

I'd noticed that, too.  It's now been more then a month, so it can't be a case of having the 7th month on the old Japanese Lunar calendar either.  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2007, 09:59:32 PM »

Yeah, and I think enough time has passed that it can't be July under the Julian calendar either.    Smiley

Actually, something did happen, but not in July:

Remember this?

Besides the vatican updated its position in 2004.

Vassula and her followers have been claiming that in 2004 the Vatican changed its position and the 1995 Notification against her was invalidated.

Well it turns out that in January of 2007, the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith sent out a letter confirming that nothing has changed and that the 1995 Notification is still in effect.  It also advised people not to attend Vassula prayer groups.

Here's a translation of that letter:

http://www.infovassula.ch/tlighome.html

Here's a photocopy of the original letter:

http://www.infovassula.ch/tligchurchposition.htm#original

I kind of feel sorry for the Vatican, having to repeatedly deal with this woman.

[edited name=Salpy date=1186970564][/edited]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:04:09 PM by Salpy » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »

I kind of feel sorry for the Vatican, having to repeatedly deal with this woman.

Charlatans are often hard to keep down. Peter Popoff was exposed as a fraud two decades ago, and yet he is back out in plain sight scamming people again (though I do get a kick out of his listed occupation on Wiki: "Con Artist"  Grin).

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
mmaccs

« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2007, 11:27:42 PM »

This picture of the face of Jesus of Nazareth appeared miraculously when photographs were taken of the return of a chalice to the tabernacle of a Spanish church which had been pillaged during the Spanish civil war (1936-39).

Someone took a photograph of a priest at the consecration during the Holy Mass. When the film was developed, this image of the Holy Family was present. Because I doubted this explanation, I sent the photos to a person in Italy near Rome who was endowed with special graces of discernment. The response I received was that the image was indeed authentic.

To the question from where the picture came, the mystic was told by Jesus, "It is not important from where or from whom the picture originates. No one should take credit for that. With this picture I want to bring aid to the world...
It is the family of Nazareth. It is very precious, so as to take it into families; it brings My blessings. With it come faith, prayer and My presence. I, Myself, come with it into the home... "

http://www.davidtlig.org.uk/holyfamily.html

?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2007, 11:38:47 PM »

Sorry, I just have to ask:  Who was the mystic?

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2007, 11:55:09 PM »

Yet they're all whiter than I am...

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2007, 12:11:16 AM »

The pic with the Holy Family I have seen on a prayer/holy card from the 50's somewhere, as for the picture of Christ I have no clue.

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2007, 12:46:37 AM »

I'll tell everyone just what I think of this 'mystic' Vassula Ryden: the same thing I said on July 13, 2006:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9511.0.html

Lord have mercy! My local parish had one of these Ryden Den of Vipers a few years ago. It was strange... this pack knew to not discuss their secret meetings with our parish priest since apparently they feared he would disapprove, yet they would recruit other sin our parish because they wanted to spread the word about her.So, like others trapped in wrongdoing and sin, they  know enough to hide thier activities yet try to drag others into their situation...

I recently came across this site, which has among other items the 1995 'Notification' about Ms. Ryden from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. This is helpful since it shows many of the problems Ms. Ryden is presenting as part of her True Life In God movement:

http://www.mypage.bluewin.ch/cafarus/tlignotification1.htm

concluding paragraph:

Given the negative effect of Vassula Ryden's activities, despite some positive aspects, this Congregation requests the intervention of the Bishops so that their faithful may be suitably informed and that no opportunity may be provided in their Dioceses for the dissemination of her ideas. Lastly, the Congregation invites all the faithful not to regard Mrs. Vassula Ryden's writings and speeches as supernatural and to preserve the purity of the faith that the Lord has entrusted to the Church.

Vatican City, 6 October 1995

Now, various people in league with Ms. Ryden have argued that this 'Notification' has been retracted, but the above site shows that this is not the case. (This above document was signed by a certain Cardinal Ratzinger, btw...)

One of the pages within the attached site is titled:

"Eternal condemnation of those who oppose the TLIG messages" and has the following excerpt:

As we have seen previously, TLIG's definition of these sins is modified in order to include whoever openly opposes the messages. It does so by affirming from the start that the messages are divine (in open contradiction with the Catholic Church's Notifications and the position of the Greek Orthodox Church) and that therefore to oppose them is to refuse God and Salvation.

The fact that Ms. Ryden is apparently inventing her own doctrine and threatening 'eternal punishment' for any who disagree with her should set off HUGE WARNING SIRENS in any rational person's head...

The website is mainly Catholic-oriented, but at least it does acknowledge that the Orthodox Church has not accepted her 'pronouncements' either.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2007, 01:55:26 AM »

Yet they're all whiter than I am...
That was my second thought; first? Fake.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2007, 02:35:50 AM »

This is the excommunicated heretic Vassula Ryden's rubbish and her "True Life In God" (TLIG) cult.
Here are some more threads about her:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=tags;id=208

Here is a critical website from a Roman Catholic ex-cult member: http://www.infovassula.ch/

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2007, 09:13:11 AM »

First "photo" - a setup

Second photo - obviously a RC thing as Joseph was not that young, and it's not a photograph.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2007, 09:17:14 AM »

^^Yeah, Joseph should at least be in his late 70's...

I pointed out last year on another board that the protrayal in The Nativity movie was wildly inaccurate regarding the age of Joseph, I was warned by the admin folks there to not be so 'Hyperdox'.  Roll Eyes

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2007, 04:53:57 PM »

I didn't know Jesus was an Anglo-Saxon?

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »

I didn't know Jesus was an Anglo-Saxon?

You are right...no Sabra Hebrew in that pic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2007, 11:34:44 PM »

My response would be "Photographs, my foot!" as well as a reply to this quote from the linked site

"Because I doubted this explanation, I sent the photos to a person in Italy near Rome who was endowed with special graces of discernment. The response I received was that the image was indeed authentic."

Me:  If they were really photographs one might think that an expert in photography would be a better person to judge "authenticity" then an *unknown, unnamed person near Rome* as well as "the image is authentic?  an "authentic" *What*?

I'm not an art expert, but looking at them they are clearly not photographs, but drawings.  The lower one has the look of 50's-60's art with the Lady more like "maDonna Reed" (no disrespect intended to either lady). 

The upper one looks more late Victorian/early 20th century in style and maybe German or from somewhere around there.

Sigh!.  No names, no location, no checkable facts.  <Pinch the bridge of the nose, shake the head and sigh>  Urban legend stuff.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »

God bless!

I do not like these fotos ! The look so "catholic" and not real !

I have seen orthodox fotos of the Allholy Theotokos and she looked complete different.
She was covered and dressed like it is shown on orthodox icons.And She is not looking with such sentimental feelings, she looks sweet but I would say emotion-less!
The expression on these fotos is a secular one and not a spiritual - sentimental feelings have nothing todo with true chritian spirit. Usually catholics use such feelings for contemplation !

In CHRIST
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2007, 01:48:08 AM »

My response would be "Photographs, my foot!" as well as a reply to this quote from the linked site

"Because I doubted this explanation, I sent the photos to a person in Italy near Rome who was endowed with special graces of discernment. The response I received was that the image was indeed authentic."

Me:  If they were really photographs one might think that an expert in photography would be a better person to judge "authenticity" then an *unknown, unnamed person near Rome* as well as "the image is authentic?  an "authentic" *What*?

I'm not an art expert, but looking at them they are clearly not photographs, but drawings.  The lower one has the look of 50's-60's art with the Lady more like "maDonna Reed" (no disrespect intended to either lady). 

The upper one looks more late Victorian/early 20th century in style and maybe German or from somewhere around there.

Sigh!.  No names, no location, no checkable facts.  <Pinch the bridge of the nose, shake the head and sigh>  Urban legend stuff.

Ebor

I agree! The first one does look very late Victorian and definately German or French--like what you would see in the front pages of an old Latin Bible (I have a few old Bibles) and the second one much much later. Also not what those of Bethlehem would look like! Shocked
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:48:56 AM by Alexius » Logged

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »

St. Joseph seems a little young but who I am to say anyway?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
mmaccs

« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2007, 01:01:12 AM »

A picture of Jesus Christ? How many times have you heard someone say: "We don't know what Jesus looked like." When you are looking at a picture of a blue-eyed, golden brown-haired  Jesus with a shepherd's rod in one hand and a lamb in the other, you know that Jesus didn't look like that--it is just an artists representation. It is, however,  possible that one of His contemporaries painted a portrait of our Savior. Eusebius of the latter second century claims to have seen color portraits of our Jesus. The following picture just might be genuine. It is purported to have been engraved by a contemporary of Jesus in the first century. When we first saw it, it was accompanied by the following text:

From the only authentic likeness of our Savior cut on an emerald by command of Tiberius Caesar, and given to Pope Innocent VIII from the treasury at Constantinople, by the emperor of the Turks, for the ransom of his brother, then a captive of the Christians.

http://www.revelado.org/likeness.htm

EDIT:  Excerpt copied and pasted from article to make post compliant with forum policy.  - PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:18:11 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
mmaccs

« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2007, 01:02:17 AM »

The Description of Publius Lentullus

The following was taken from a manuscript in the possession of Lord Kelly, and in his library, and was copied from an original letter of Publius Lentullus at Rome. It being the usual custom of Roman Governors to advertise the Senate and people of such material things as happened in their provinces in the days of Tiberius Caesar, Publius Lentullus, President of Judea, wrote the following epistle to the Senate concerning the Nazarene called Jesus.

"There appeared in these our days a man, of the Jewish Nation, of great virtue, named Yeshua [Jesus], who is yet living among us, and of the Gentiles is accepted for a Prophet of truth, but His own disciples call Him the Son of God- He raiseth the dead and cureth all manner of diseases. A man of stature somewhat tall, and comely, with very reverent countenance, such as the beholders may both love and fear, his hair of (the colour of) the chestnut, full ripe, plain to His ears, whence downwards it is more orient and curling and wavering about His shoulders. In the midst of His head is a seam or partition in His hair, after the manner of the Nazarenes. His forehead plain and very delicate; His face without spot or wrinkle, beautified with a lovely red; His nose and mouth so formed as nothing can be reprehended; His beard thickish, in colour like His hair, not very long, but forked; His look innocent and mature; His eyes grey, clear, and quick- In reproving hypocrisy He is terrible; in admonishing, courteous and fair spoken; pleasant in conversation, mixed with gravity. It cannot be remembered that any have seen Him Laugh, but many have seen Him Weep. In proportion of body, most excellent; His hands and arms delicate to behold. In speaking, very temperate, modest, and wise. A man, for His singular beauty, surpassing the children of men"

http://www.thenazareneway.com/likeness_of_our_saviour.htm

EDIT:  Excerpt copied and pasted from article to make post compliant with forum policy.  - PeterTheAleut

Next time, mmaccs, could you please include an excerpt of the linked article together with the link so others can decide if they want to follow the link and so I don't have to copy and paste the text for you?  Thank you in advance for your assistance on this matter.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:16:46 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2007, 01:09:42 AM »

You made me laugh with that one. I was wondering how the Theotokos could look like June Cleaver myself!
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2007, 01:24:02 AM »

A picture of Jesus Christ? How many times have you heard someone say: "We don't know what Jesus looked like." When you are looking at a picture of a blue-eyed, golden brown-haired  Jesus with a shepherd's rod in one hand and a lamb in the other, you know that Jesus didn't look like that--it is just an artists representation. It is, however,  possible that one of His contemporaries painted a portrait of our Savior. Eusebius of the latter second century claims to have seen color portraits of our Jesus. The following picture just might be genuine. It is purported to have been engraved by a contemporary of Jesus in the first century. When we first saw it, it was accompanied by the following text:

From the only authentic likeness of our Savior cut on an emerald by command of Tiberius Caesar, and given to Pope Innocent VIII from the treasury at Constantinople, by the emperor of the Turks, for the ransom of his brother, then a captive of the Christians.

Not to be too picky, but wasn't Eusebius from the latter third to early fourth century, not the latter second century? He was also against images and I believe he cites the ten commandments, which he believes to support his iconoclastic views...Certainly by his lifetime, there would have been many images of our Lord...

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2007, 01:32:20 AM »

Not trying to be difficult, but there are warnings going of in my head immediately on reading this.

It is, however,  possible that one of His contemporaries painted a portrait of our Savior. Eusebius of the latter second century claims to have seen color portraits of our Jesus.

First point, no citation given for just where Eusebius made this claim.  It would be helpful to have a checkable point. Second, Eusebius is late 3rd Century and into the 4th.  So there's a error that could be checked.

The following picture just might be genuine. It is purported to have been engraved by a contemporary of Jesus in the first century.

Emphasis added.  might?  or might not.  Purported by whom?  Who is the unnamed "contemporary"?  No checkable name/date/source.

When we first saw it, it was accompanied by the following text:

Picture removed to save bandwidth.  Questions:

Just why would Tiberius command someone to carve the image of an obscure person on an emerald?  Recall that to the Roman Empire Jesus did not have any such importance as He does to Christians now.

What is the source for this claim?

Recalling that "Extraordinary claims require at least Ordinary standards of proof", what evidence is there that such an emerald even existed? A drawing/engraving is not proof.  

Next, Sultan Bayezid II of the Ottoman Empire had a brother, Cem, who had tried to take the throne and then fled.  He tried to get support from the Knights of St. John.  The Sultan *paid* the Christians to keep his brother prisoner and out of his hair.  So there was no ransom involved.  Cem died in Italy.  So this is at odds with the claim.

Ebor

mmaccs

« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2007, 01:36:23 AM »

He looks like quite a big guy around the shoulders! (The Lord did hard physical outside labor, with Joseph in Nazareth, until He was about 30 years old. Back then, the building trade involved very strenuous physical labor with heavy stone and lumber, without any sort of power tools or mechanical digging equipment that are in use today.)

If it is Him, of course.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:55:03 AM by mmaccs » Logged
mmaccs

« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2007, 01:43:18 AM »

The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar

This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.

TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:

A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.

Later, I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with Him at the Praetorium. He came. When the Nazarene made His appearance I was having my morning walk and as I faced Him my feet seemed fastened with an iron hand to the marble pavement and I trembled in every limb as a guilty culprit, though he was calm. For some time I stood admiring this extraordinary Man. There was nothing in Him that was repelling, nor in His character, yet I felt awed in His presence. I told Him that there was a magnetic simplicity about Him and His personality that elevated Him far above the philosophers and teachers of His day.

Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God.

Your most obedient servant,
Pontius Pilate

mmaccs

« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2007, 01:46:53 AM »

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2007, 01:47:15 AM »

<Insert emoticon of banging my head on the keyboard or CRT.>  aaarrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry.  it's late. I'll take a deep breath.   

This "letter" is a fake.  it is a fraud.  It is not a real letter from the first century AD.

The following was taken from a manuscript in the possession of Lord Kelly, and in his library

Which "Lord Kelly"?  Where is this library? What are his dates? 

, and was copied from an original letter of Publius Lentullus at Rome. It being the usual custom of Roman Governors to advertise the Senate and people of such material things as happened in their provinces in the days of Tiberius Caesar, Publius Lentullus, President of Judea, wrote the following epistle to the Senate concerning the Nazarene called Jesus.

There was NO Roman "president" governor or other high official in Judea/Palestine in the 1st Century AD named "Pulbius Lentullus".  The Romans kept records of such things.  This person cited did not exist. 

There *was* a Publius Lentulus...in ROME in the first century BC who was part of the Second Cataline Conspiracy: Publius Cornelius Lentulus. There is no possible way for this person to have lived long  enough to write this letter.  He died in 63 BC.

This letter was addressed in another thread in response to another poster citing it as factual.  It is not.  It's provenence is shady.  It's historical facts are wrong..  It cannot be looked on as any kind of truth

Sigh.

Ebor

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2007, 01:48:57 AM »

The following was taken from a manuscript in the possession of Lord Kelly, and in his library, and was copied from an original letter of Publius Lentullus at Rome. It being the usual custom of Roman Governors to advertise the Senate and people of such material things as happened in their provinces in the days of Tiberius Caesar, Publius Lentullus, President of Judea, wrote the following epistle to the Senate concerning the Nazarene called Jesus.

"There appeared in these our days a man, of the Jewish Nation, of great virtue, named Yeshua [Jesus], who is yet living among us, and of the Gentiles is accepted for a Prophet of truth, but His own disciples call Him the Son of God- He raiseth the dead and cureth all manner of diseases. A man of stature somewhat tall, and comely, with very reverent countenance, such as the beholders may both love and fear, his hair of (the colour of) the chestnut, full ripe, plain to His ears, whence downwards it is more orient and curling and wavering about His shoulders. In the midst of His head is a seam or partition in His hair, after the manner of the Nazarenes. His forehead plain and very delicate; His face without spot or wrinkle, beautified with a lovely red; His nose and mouth so formed as nothing can be reprehended; His beard thickish, in colour like His hair, not very long, but forked; His look innocent and mature; His eyes grey, clear, and quick- In reproving hypocrisy He is terrible; in admonishing, courteous and fair spoken; pleasant in conversation, mixed with gravity. It cannot be remembered that any have seen Him Laugh, but many have seen Him Weep. In proportion of body, most excellent; His hands and arms delicate to behold. In speaking, very temperate, modest, and wise. A man, for His singular beauty, surpassing the children of men"

I know this to be spurious. I can't remember the source though.

John

[edit] I see Ebor beat me to it [/edit]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:51:58 AM by prodromos » Logged
mmaccs

« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2007, 01:51:34 AM »

http://www.greatdreams.com/shroud_of_turin.htm
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2007, 01:52:26 AM »

The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar

This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.

I'm sorry.  This "letter" is also a fraud.  "Copies are in the Congressional Library"?  In what form? In what book?  It could be a book that debunks it, for example.  Again, no trustworthy provenence of a manuscript, I'll have to find the links on this one in the morning.  

Ebor

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:52:42 AM by Ebor » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2007, 01:54:22 AM »

I know this to be spurious. I can't remember the source though.

John

[edit] I see Ebor beat me to it [/edit]

Hi, Prodromos!  it's been a while.   Smiley  I hope all is well with you.

Yes, this is a fake.  Sigh!

Ebor

mmaccs

« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2007, 02:08:03 AM »

http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping459.htm

Jesus permitted Sister Anna to take His photograph on various occasions of His appearance, and in subsequent revelations gave reasons for making Himself visible now in our time.

"Listen to me. I am above this earth. I allow myself to be seen after many warnings"

"I make myself visible in order to bring back souls."

"I love mankind and I make myself visible in order to give my warnings of mercy"

"Many do not listen to me because they do not believe in my reality"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2007, 02:40:39 AM »

Is there some reason you quoted your own post only to say nothing in reply?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2007, 05:37:46 PM »

Is there some reason you quoted your own post only to say nothing in reply?

I think it was the enlarging of the words "by command of Tiberius Ceasar".  However, emphasis doesn't make words true.  Just saying that something was commanded by an ancient Roman Emperor or any other long dead person doesn't mean that it really happened.  What corroborating evidence is there that Tiberius really did this?  A bill from a gem merchant?  An imperial record of the order? (if such is claimed where is it found, where can it be read and what is the provenence of the manuscript?) 

Discernment is needed to tell good information from bad; true history from that which is fake or twisted.

Ebor

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »

I think it was the enlarging of the words "by command of Tiberius Ceasar".  However, emphasis doesn't make words true.  Just saying that something was commanded by an ancient Roman Emperor or any other long dead person doesn't mean that it really happened.  What corroborating evidence is there that Tiberius really did this?  A bill from a gem merchant?  An imperial record of the order? (if such is claimed where is it found, where can it be read and what is the provenence of the manuscript?) 

Discernment is needed to tell good information from bad; true history from that which is fake or twisted.

Ebor
Thanks for noticing the enlarged text I failed to notice.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »

Is it the purpose of this thread to demonstrate how easily some Catholics can fall into spiritual delusion?

Hi Ebor, I'm stuck at home with a fractured ankle
Glory to God!

John
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »

Is it the purpose of this thread to demonstrate how easily some Catholics can fall into spiritual delusion?

Glory to God!

John
OUCH! Shocked  Sorry to hear about your ankle.  How'd you manage to break it?  Start a thread about it in the Prayer Forum, and I'm sure you'll get some prayers for your speedy recovery.  I hope the ankle heals up soon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:23:58 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2007, 12:35:02 AM »

Not just RC, Prodromos.  The "letters" were being put forth in another thread recently by Christodoulos as real and true reports of what Jesus looked like before the Resurrection.  He didn't like the information that they are not real documents from the first century and that (among other things) made them fraudulent.

Glory to God!

John

I'm sorry that you've been hurt.  What on earth happened?!?  I hope that the prognosis is good and that you'll be healed soon.

Ebor

mmaccs

« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2007, 03:14:03 AM »

FWIW, when Christ revealed Himself to me with the reflection on my bathroom wall (in pretty damn clear detail), it was the long-faced, long-nosed, long-haired, hair-parted, bearded 'version'... the face on the Shroud. It was a miracle.

So, personally, I think these photographs, portraits and images are genuine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:14:56 AM by mmaccs » Logged
mmaccs

« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2007, 03:15:59 AM »

Not that it matters.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2007, 03:19:27 AM »

FWIW, when Christ revealed Himself to me with the reflection on my bathroom wall (in pretty damn clear detail), it was the long-faced, long-nosed, long-haired, hair-parted, bearded 'version'... the face on the Shroud. It was a miracle.

So, personally, I think these photographs, portraits and images are genuine.
How do you know it was Christ who revealed himself to you?  Have you received any resolution yet to your issue with the white lights you keep seeing?
mmaccs

« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2007, 03:35:22 AM »

Love.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2007, 03:38:15 AM »

Love.
What does that answer?
Credo.InDeum

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Rite Archdiocese of Perth

« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2007, 01:48:39 PM »

One of the folk here posted part of a notification about Mrs. Vassula Ryden.

Here's the full text, it isn't very long.

NOTIFICATION ON VASSULA RYDEN (6 October 1995)
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many bishops, priests, religious and lay people have sought an authoritative judgement from this Congregation on the activity of Mrs. Vassula Ryden, a Greek Orthodox residing in Switzerland, who in speech and in writing is spreading in Catholic circles throughout the world messages attributed to alleged heavenly revelations.
A calm, attentive examination of the entire question, undertaken by this Congregation in order to "test the spirits to see whether they are of God" (cf. 1 Jn 4:1), has brought out-in addition to positive aspects - a number of basic elements that must be considered negative in the light of Catholic doctrine.

In addition to pointing out the suspect nature of the ways in which these alleged revelations have occurred, it is necessary to underscore several doctrinal errors they contain.

Among other things, ambiguous language is used in speaking of the Persons of the Holy Trinity, to the point of confusing the specific names and functions of the Divine Persons. These alleged revelations predict an imminent period when the Antichrist will prevail in the Church. In millenarian style, it is prophesied that God is going to make a final glorious intervention which will initiate on earth, even before Christ's definitive coming, an era of peace and universal prosperity. Furthermore, the proximate arrival is foretold of a Church which would be a kind of pan-Christian community, contrary to Catholic doctrine.

The fact that the aforementioned errors no longer appear in Ryden's later writings is a sign that the alleged "heavenly messages" are merely the result of private meditations.

Moreover, by habitually sharing in the sacraments of the Catholic Church even though she is Greek Orthodox, Mrs. Ryden is causing considerable surprise in various circles of the Catholic Church. She appears to be putting herself above all ecclesiastical jurisdiction and every canonical norm, and in effect, is creating an ecumenical disorder that irritates many authorities, ministers and faithful of her own Church, as she puts herself outside the ecclesiastical discipline of the latter.

Given the negative effect of Vassula Ryden's activities, despite some positive aspects, this Congregation requests the intervention of the Bishops so that their faithful may be suitably informed and that no opportunity may be provided in their Dioceses for the dissemination of her ideas. Lastly, the Congregation invites all the faithful not to regard Mrs. Vassula Ryden's writings and speeches as supernatural and to preserve the purity of the faith that the Lord has entrusted to the Church.

Vatican City, 6 October 1995.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from:
L'Osservatore Romano
Weekly Edition in English
25 October 1995, 12.
L'Osservatore Romano is the newspaper of the Holy See.
The Weekly Edition in English is published for the US by:

The Cathedral Foundation
L'Osservatore Romano English Edition
P.O. Box 777
Baltimore, MD 21201
Subscriptions: (410) 547-5380

taken from http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDFRYDN1.HTM
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:50:03 PM by Credo.InDeum » Logged

God does not simply rule by power ...His power is that of sharing in love and suffering ...God becomes small so that we can grasp his nature. - Benedict XVI
buzuxi
Elder

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: WORLD ORTHODOXY AGAINST ECUMENISM

« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2008, 05:28:35 AM »

All these images are non-canonical, they are not part of the authentic Tradition of the Ekklesia. Images of Christ or His Mother are not to be "worldly" or earthly looking. The images or if you prefer your photographs  are not to be venerated and are contrary to the holy canons of the Church.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 05:30:49 AM by buzuxi » Logged
Tags: Vassula Theotokos Immaculate Conception heresy 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: