OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:18:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unity Timeline for the U.S. Assembly of Bishops  (Read 486 times) Average Rating: 0
Sirach

Just trying to learn something.

« on: January 25, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »

Is there a timeline for the Assembly of Bishops to have one single American Orthodox Church established in the U.S.?

If yes, what is it?

If no, why not?

Thanks.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »

I am also curious about the answer to these questions.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:48:46 PM »

Here is one thing I would like to see happen and this could work out more than you know
To have the various jurisdictions share in sunday school and adult church education programmes.
Share money to carry out Matthew 25 ministries.
Share money or consolidate Summer Camps (PA has three or four in various jurisdictions)
Share money for evangelisation

The church in Poland was granted autochephaly in 1924 and the argument that that political system and the borders don't exist today and it just faded per se.
So a union having the "one American Church) is a tough one.  Countries come and go.  The church remains.

Instead of having so many programmes and such spread out in various jurisdictions limits us more than having a church united in American Culture.  We are already united at the chalice. 
Make the strides I wrote about above first before putting a puzzle together that is missing key pieces and so forth.

I don't really know if the more recently converted or those who live in areas Orthodoxy is newer, say 30 years, realise that still the Ukies won't go to the Carpie church up the street and the Russians won't go to that church etc...  even though their ancestors hail from the same villages in the old world... this still exists and these churches are often not too far apart geographically.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »

Here is one thing I would like to see happen and this could work out more than you know
To have the various jurisdictions share in sunday school and adult church education programmes.
Share money or consolidate Summer Camps (PA has three or four in various jurisdictions)

The church in Poland was granted autochephaly in 1924 and the argument that that political system and the borders don't exist today and it just faded per se.
So a union having the "one American Church) is a tough one.  Countries come and go.  The church remains.

Instead of having so many programmes and such spread out in various jurisdictions limits us more than having a church united in American Culture.  We are already united at the chalice.  
Make the strides I wrote about above first before putting a puzzle together that is missing key pieces and so forth.

I don't really know if the more recently converted or those who live in areas Orthodoxy is newer, say 30 years, realise that still the Ukies won't go to the Carpie church up the street and the Russians won't go to that church etc...  even though their ancestors hail from the same villages in the old world... this still exists and these churches are often not too far apart geographically.

let alone the Greek Catholics hailing from the same villages originally!  

Places like Clymer, PA have four, maybe five parishes all originating from the same initial congregation - not to mention the next coal patch over the ridge with its own cacaphony of competing gold and blue domes.

I don't remember if I posted this anecdote here or not, but there is an old story about a Galician boy who wanted to become a sailor - even though his homeland was landlocked. He joined the Navy and his ship sank in the Pacific during the war. He swam to a nearby deserted island and was the only human living there. Years later he was rescued and the Captain of the rescuing ship marvelled about the four churches he saw on the island. He asked the man why so many churches for only one person on the island. The man replied, I used to go to the other ones before the first, second and third split.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:13:30 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »

Isnt there a big meeting about this in 2013?

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »

If we're going on Orthodox time, it might get done before the Christ comes again. Other than that, I wouldn't place bets.

But, I don't think there's any actual timeframe. I'm probably wrong, though. I expect that it'll take the normal amount of "long time" that Orthodox are so used to, especially in terms of the wonderful politics that always goes along with these things.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »

So a union having the "one American Church) is a tough one.  Countries come and go.  The church remains.

Instead of having so many programmes and such spread out in various jurisdictions limits us more than having a church united in American Culture.  We are already united at the chalice.  

I don't really know if the more recently converted or those who live in areas Orthodoxy is newer, say 30 years, realise that still the Ukies won't go to the Carpie church up the street and the Russians won't go to that church etc...  even though their ancestors hail from the same villages in the old world... this still exists and these churches are often not too far apart geographically.

Places like Clymer, PA have four, maybe five parishes all originating from the same initial congregation - not to mention the next coal patch over the ridge with its own cacaphony of competing gold and blue domes.

I don't remember if I posted this anecdote here or not, but there is an old story about a Galician boy who wanted to become a sailor - even though his homeland was landlocked. He joined the Navy and his ship sank in the Pacific during the war. He swam to a nearby deserted island and was the only human living there. Years later he was rescued and the Captain of the rescuing ship marvelled about the four churches he saw on the island. He asked the man why so many churches for only one person on the island. The man replied, I used to go to the other ones before the first, second and third split.

My parish of registration is that original in Clymer. You did not mention how small Clymer is - really small. Count is four parishes if one includes that EC one that returned to the pope.

In Pittsburgh (Carnegie) the Ukie and OCA parishes are NEXT DOOR to each other. It's like that all over the region but not from parish schisms as in Clymer.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »

My parish of registration is that original in Clymer. You did not mention how small Clymer is - really small. Count is four parishes if one includes that EC one that returned to the pope.

In Pittsburgh (Carnegie) the Ukie and OCA parishes are NEXT DOOR to each other. It's like that all over the region but not from parish schisms as in Clymer.

True indeed. Clymer is hardly unique. My home parish of St. Michael's in Binghamton (1904) can be traced as the 'original home' for three other parishes in the immediate neighborhood - the OCA (1915), the UOC (1922) and the BCC (1940). Not to mention the 30% or so of the those registered pre-1940 who left both St. Michael's and the newly established BCC and either joined the Slovak RCC parish nearby or lost faith completely.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: