OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 01:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it ethical and right to purchase inexpensive clothing from slave labor or sweat shops ?
Never - 3 (12%)
No, but I cannot say never - 8 (32%)
No, unless I do not have any options - 5 (20%)
Yes, it provides a livelihood for the poor - 4 (16%)
Yes - 5 (20%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy inexpensive clothing made in a sweat shop if you knew?  (Read 2389 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »

Before I buy an article of clothing, I first look at the tag to determine the country of origin.  I then conduct extensive research into the brand to determine where exactly the factory or factories are located.  I then purchase plane tickets and fly personally to each factory where I conduct hours of interviews with the workers and managers of these factories.  I ask about the working conditions, whether the staff are paid, if so how much, whether the staff are there against their will, what would they do differently if they had a choice, whether they are able to survive now, whether they would do better for themselves with another job, whether there are better job prospects in the area, whether the managers are friendly, etc.  I connect my translator and the workers to polygraph machines to verify that the workers and my translator are telling me the truth.  If I determine that the money I spend on that article of clothing would be helpful rather than detrimental to these people, I then arrange interviews with the company management and owners to see how they would profit from my purchase.  I would ask to see their bank and credit card statements to find out how they spend their money, whether they give to the poor, whether they fairly share their profits with their workers, and whether they do anything sinful with their money.  If everything checks out there, I examine their methods of manufacturing and distribution and develop complex models compare the carbon footprints and pollutant contributions to the air, water, and soil if I were to make this purchase.  If that looks good, I fly home and purchase the article of clothing.  As a result of this rigorous process, I have yet to purchase an article of clothing.

Seriously, though, I think this issue is a complex one that will always stir up debate.  Conditions may be worse and pay lower in another country, for example, but perhaps the pennies in the hands of the poor in China are more helpful to them than the dollars in the hands of the poor American who struggles to pay their smartphone and cable bill every month but otherwise eats pretty well.  Who can say for sure? 

What is this?  Flying on airplanes? I hope you have carefully investigated the companies that build them as well as the ones who provided the raw materials.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Theologia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

OrthoRose
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »

I buy "Made in the USA" as much as possible. I sew my own clothing, or sometimes whatever I find in thrift stores (vintage clothes, and not shoes). Vintage clothing usually is made in USA.  There are shoes made in the USA,  keep checking.  Last time I checked, New Balance is made in the USA.  I have shoes in my closet that are older than most of you here on the forum.   Grin

For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.  Luke 12:48
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »

I buy "Made in the USA" as much as possible. I sew my own clothing, or sometimes whatever I find in thrift stores (vintage clothes, and not shoes). Vintage clothing usually is made in USA.  There are shoes made in the USA,  keep checking.  Last time I checked, New Balance is made in the USA.  I have shoes in my closet that are older than most of you here on the forum.   Grin

I have seen sweatshops in the USA.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »

I have seen sweatshops in the USA.

+1

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: