OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 08:07:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it ethical and right to purchase inexpensive clothing from slave labor or sweat shops ?
Never - 3 (12%)
No, but I cannot say never - 8 (32%)
No, unless I do not have any options - 5 (20%)
Yes, it provides a livelihood for the poor - 4 (16%)
Yes - 5 (20%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy inexpensive clothing made in a sweat shop if you knew?  (Read 1878 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: June 25, 2014, 03:21:46 PM »

"This cry for help on a Primark label can't be ignored!"

I agree.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/25/primark-label-swansea-textile-industry-rana-plaza

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »

Everytime I purchase clothing, I assume that it is made in a sweat shop. I don't have enough money or time to research where or how to buy fair wage clothing, organic dishwashing detergent, anti-abortion toilets, pro-pacifist cell phones and whatever the heck else the cause-of-the-week might be.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »

Everytime I purchase clothing, I assume that it is made in a sweat shop. I don't have enough money or time to research where or how to buy fair wage clothing, organic dishwashing detergent, anti-abortion toilets, pro-pacifist cell phones and whatever the heck else the cause-of-the-week might be.

POM.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »

I avoid some stuff where I can....but honestly that's mostly driven by allergy related reasons.

Denise, really needing a plastic allergen free bubble to live in...

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »

Marc is going to love this post!  Roll Eyes

I have never heard of "organic dishwashing detergent" or "anti-abortion toilets".

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »

I avoid some stuff where I can....but honestly that's mostly driven by allergy related reasons.

Denise, really needing a plastic allergen free bubble to live in...

I sympathize with you.

I am making almost all of my clothing now, except bras, shoes, socks, and coats.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:48:36 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »

I have never heard of "organic dishwashing detergent" or "anti-abortion toilets".

Where have you been shopping?...I buy 'all natural and organic dishwashing liquid'

(again because i am allergic to everything, not because i am saving the world...)

The Fool

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »

POM. Reminds me strongly of this: http://deathtotheworld.com/articles/a-letter-to-thomas-merton/

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:49:22 PM »

Where have you been shopping?...I buy 'all natural and organic dishwashing liquid'

(again because i am allergic to everything, not because i am saving the world...)

Where do you find it? I have not been to Whole Foods Market in a while. It is too expensive and too far away.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »

Where do you find it? I have not been to Whole Foods Market in a while. It is too expensive and too far away.

Even Target has a natural cleaning products section now. Wink

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »

You haven't lived until you own an anti-abortion toilet. I will avoid going into details, but you will NEVER have to worry about anyone aborting a baby in your bathroom with one of them installed. Organic dishwashing detergent is a must. It doesn't clean anything, but at least you feel natural as you scrub your dishes with fair trade organic honey infused with eucalyptus oil picked by fair trade Aboriginal minority businesses.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »

You haven't lived until you own an anti-abortion toilet. I will avoid going into details, but you will NEVER have to worry about anyone aborting a baby in your bathroom with one of them installed. Organic dishwashing detergent is a must. It doesn't clean anything, but at least you feel natural as you scrub your dishes with fair trade organic honey infused with eucalyptus oil picked by fair trade Aboriginal minority businesses.

Nor would anyone want to use one if they really existed.
How would you feel if bells and whistles went off everytime you put extra toilet paper in the toilet?

Hey, maybe the tree people (environmentalists) will cause the toilet industry to change the construction in order to save trees.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:01:46 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »

There are many things I'd rather not do, but have to due to circumstance.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »

POM. Reminds me strongly of this: http://deathtotheworld.com/articles/a-letter-to-thomas-merton/

Is that Fr. Seraphim, or a large percentage of male American converts, in their 20s, not even Orthodox a year, having gone through various belief systems in quick succession, and now writing critical letters and planning books to explain to everyone else what is wrong in the world?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »

Is that Fr. Seraphim, or a large percentage of male American converts, in their 20s, not even Orthodox a year, having gone through various belief systems in quick succession, and now writing critical letters and planning books to explain to everyone else what is wrong in the world?

I love you, you big meanie!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »

This is probably a prank.  How would a third world sweatshop kid know how to spell "degrading"?  Do they even call them sweatshops over there?  I figured they would call it something like "place I get to go every day instead of being a child soldier like my buddy Akim and my first crush Mohammeda who became a prostitute as soon as she hit 12".
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »

This is probably a prank.  How would a third world sweatshop kid know how to spell "degrading"?  Do they even call them sweatshops over there?  I figured they would call it something like "place I get to go every day instead of being a child soldier like my buddy Akim and my first crush Mohammeda who became a prostitute as soon as she hit 12".
I think the take away here is that the garment inspector in that sweat shop is doing a pretty lousy job if he is letting those get by.  Tongue

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »

I thought the same, but someone in corporate with an education could be sending a message.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »

I've always found the irony.

Go to church singing "Lord have mercy!" when I sat in clothes made from a little kid over seas who works in horrible conditions.

Corporate trade brings sinful blindness, so it seems.

EDIT
Once my wife and I sponsored a child from one of the mega old school TV sponsorship things (not said in boast at all). He was in South America.  Came to find out, Nike had a huge plant there and paid all the people .11 cents per hour.  So while Nike was making a fortune, his family could not even afford to raise him.  His parents both worked there and he could not go to school.

My $20 a month, or a pair of $250 Jordan's....

It is twisted beyond logic.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:30:27 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »

+1

Same goes for the way we treat nature, cattle etc. and yet nobody could care less. We have a lot to answer when our time comes.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »

A question is though, that .11$/hr could be double what they would be making at other places and by working there improves their quality of living.

SCREW BON JOVI!
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »

Go to church singing "Lord have mercy!" when I sat in clothes made from a little kid over seas who works in horrible conditions.

EDIT
Once my wife and I sponsored a child from one of the mega old school TV sponsorship things (not said in boast at all). He was in South America.  Came to find out, Nike had a huge plant there and paid all the people .11 cents per hour.  So while Nike was making a fortune, his family could not even afford to raise him.  His parents both worked there and he could not go to school.

May I suggest that unless your wife weaves the fabric she makes your family's clothes from, that its pretty much Pot-Kettle-Black to be all finger pointy at others.

Fabric itself is just as bad as finished products.

Geh
scum par excellence
Moderated

Faith: excessively cynical, amoral, nefarious, opportunistic, antisocial, sadistic, machiavellian, misanthropic, pessimistic, narcissistic, psychopathic, sociopathic, jaded, opulent self-absorbed navel-gazing
Jurisdiction: confines of my own idiocy

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »

No what you are really buying into are workers being maliciously and deleteriously used, even taking their own life (see Foxconn), and you already know the extent of how much they suffer. But the corporations to assuage your guilt, they will make some pathetic donation or act of charity to recompense the harm done.

Says quite a lot about how revolting you are. I guess a "Lord have mercy" is enough for them to cope with.

If only the Orthodox Church could serve harsher penances for their followers.

EDIT

You are a saint.

Quote from: Nikolaostheservant
tonight you die of a heart attack in your sleep. your at the pearly gates wanting to get in but you have not been very good nor have you been very bad, sin wise the scales are even. so to break the tie God asks you to explain this post you made, what u gona say?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »

No what you are really buying into are workers being maliciously and deleteriously used, even taking their own life (see Foxconn), and you already know the extent of how much they suffer. But the corporations to assuage your guilt, they will make some pathetic donation or act of charity to recompense the harm done.

Says quite a lot about how revolting you are. I guess a "Lord have mercy" is enough for them to cope with.

And how is TheTrisagion going to stop all that?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:46:00 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »

By walking around naked, shoeless, and device-less.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »

By walking around naked, shoeless, and device-less.

The only thing that would happen is that he would catch a cold or would end up in jail. Nothing would change in those Asian factories.

Those 'fair trade' companies often are as bad as the other companies in exploiting the workers in the third world, so that isn't a good solution either.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:49:22 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »

Yeah, I know. I was just responding to those who would say that not buying those products would solve anything.

Geh
scum par excellence
Moderated

Faith: excessively cynical, amoral, nefarious, opportunistic, antisocial, sadistic, machiavellian, misanthropic, pessimistic, narcissistic, psychopathic, sociopathic, jaded, opulent self-absorbed navel-gazing

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »

The way he carries on his life brazenly is there any stopping it?

tonight you die of a heart attack in your sleep. your at the pearly gates wanting to get in but you have not been very good nor have you been very bad, sin wise the scales are even. so to break the tie God asks you to explain this post you made, what u gona say?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »

Even if TheTrisagion were a saint and a miracle-worker he wouldn't be able to stop it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:31:57 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Geh
scum par excellence
Moderated

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »

Even if TheTrisagion was a saint and a miracle-worker he wouldn't be able to stop it.
No I mean, since he clearly is an unabashed individual, is there any stopping to his behavior enabling the suffering others are in?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »

is there any stopping to his behavior enabling the suffering others are in?

For him to enable it wouldn't he have to be capable of disabling it? Vietnamese children don't suffer more or less because of TheTrisagion's attitude.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:35:26 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Geh
scum par excellence
Moderated

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »

For him to enable it wouldn't he have to be capable of disabling it? Vietnamese children don't suffer more or less because of TheTrisagion's attitude.
Can we get past your pontificating on how unapologetically irrationally obtuse and depraved you are for a minute?

My god the level of degeneracy on this particular message board requires me to bring a lantern to see if I can find anyone that resembles something of a human being, let alone is one.

There are those in the world treated so harshly because of the demand for excessive consumption of others. His carelessness and utter disregard of mercy does no one any favors, including himself. You and him are very much so responsible for those that are horrifically treated and even allowing those workers to be in a state of perpetual bondage.

The very fact that a sweat shop even exists is extremely alarming. Yet Christians, as usual, remain muted.

And LOL @ "attitude". Are you for real?

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »

Can we get past your pontificating on how unapologetically irrationally obtuse and depraved you are for a minute?

My god the level of degeneracy on this particular message board requires me to bring a lantern to see if I can find anyone that resembles something of a human being, let alone is one.

There are those in the world treated so harshly because of the demand for excessive consumption of others. His carelessness and utter disregard of mercy does no one any favors, including himself. You and him are very much so responsible for those that are horrifically treated and even allowing those workers to be in a state of perpetual bondage.

The very fact that a sweat shop even exists is extremely alarming. Yet Christians, as usual, remain muted.

Do you wear clothes?  Where do YOU buy them?Huh

kelly
Dissipation Nation
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »

Why so hostile?

Tone 3

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly,
Hail, thou, oh full of good taste
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »

how unapologetically irrationally [...] you are for a minute?

That's rich, coming from you.

There are those in the world treated so harshly because of the demand for excessive consumption of others.

You're sitting behind a computer, (probably) have a refrigerator, a tv and a cell phone. You're probably not dressed in rags either. Physician, heal thyself.

You and him are very much so responsible for those that are horrifically treated and even allowing those workers to be in a state of perpetual bondage.

If we are responsible, you are too.

And what if the government would use its powers and step in, demanding the closing of the factories in Vietnam or Laos. What then? The factory would move and the workers over there would lose their meager wage and then they'd have nothing. What then should they say? "Thank you, Geh"?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:59:57 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »

Can we get past your pontificating...

LOL, be quiet.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »

lol, geh is my new favorite forumer. Unless he is shiny. In which case, he is my new old favorite forumer.

In response to geh's post, I don't know if I'm brazen about it. It isn't like I walk around looking for children to throw in sweat shops. I just wear whatever clothes my wife decides she is going to buy me for my birthday and that's that. I really don't feel like it is a profitable use of time and money to research where every consumer item I might buy comes from and where the raw materials for each of those products comes from. Call me lazy, but that isn't my idea of a slammin' fun Friday night.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »

I made an entire can of peas but don't want to eat the last 40%. If I throw them out it is wasting food. But if I put them in the fridge it means using energy to cool them, and then more energy to reheat them, etc. What a quandary...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
kelly
Dissipation Nation
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »

I made an entire can of peas but don't want to eat the last 40%. If I throw them out it is wasting food. But if I put them in the fridge it means using energy to cool them, and then more energy to reheat them, etc. What a quandary...

Throw it outside, something will eat it.

Tone 3

Oh most wise Kelly,
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »

smear them on yourself instead wearing those evil sweatshop clothes....

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »

What if that attracts critters, who then bite a small child, who gets a disease or infection, and dies? All because I didn't want to eat a few spoonfuls of peas?  Sad

This might work for me, but I'm not sure how my neighbors would react. Meh, they never seem to mind when I go out in my boxer-briefs for the mail, so they should be ok.

kelly
Dissipation Nation
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »

A pea facial maybe?

Tone 3

Oh most wise Kelly,
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:15 PM »

What if that attracts critters, who then bite a small child, who gets a disease or infection, and dies? All because I didn't want to eat a few spoonfuls of peas?  Sad

Having children is a waste of precious resources for selfish reasons (e.g., having something to take pictures of and post them on Facebook so that you can vicariously attract attention to yourself).  You would be doing the world a favour.  

This might work for me, but I'm not sure how my neighbors would react. Meh, they never seem to mind when I go out in my boxer-briefs for the mail, so they should be ok.

Oooh, boxer briefs!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: