OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:44:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hacking help  (Read 4107 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: June 24, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »

My yahoo e-mail keeps getting hacked.  It has happened about three or four times in the past six months.  Someone gets in and sends spam to people on my e-mail list, and I have to change my password.  What gets me is that I have very hard passwords, with lots of letters, numbers and other symbols, and the hackers still get in.  So I had to change my password again right now.

I have a few questions for those who are more computer wise than I am:

1.  How do I do a mass e-mailing to everyone who is in my yahoo contacts?  I'd like to send something out to them when this happens to tell them to not open the last mailing they think they got from me, but I don't know how to send an e-mail to everyone.  It's probably really easy, but I am that computer illiterate.  (My first computer was a cast iron type writer.)

2.  I received a copy of the spam this time, and the e-mail address that shows up next to my name is not my e-mail address.  It is the following:  Salpy <valentina @ pirani.info>   That is not my e-mail address.  Does this mean the person who is hacking me is named Valentina, and this is her address?  What do I do?  Can I call the police on her?

3.  Does the fact that I am getting hacked so much mean that there is a bug, or malware, or virus in my computer?  Who do I take it to?  Should I take it to those young men at the Apple Store, who wear black t-shirts?  Would they know how to stop this?

Please help me, someone!!! 

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »

3.  Does the fact that I am getting hacked so much mean that there is a bug, or malware, or virus in my computer? 

Probably. Have you already scanned your computer for malware?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »

Yahoo mail is notoriously unsafe. More holes in it than in Swiss cheese, and that was nearly a decade ago, when I was actually using it (it's been going downhill even faster since). You'd be better off on Gmail.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »

Sounds like a keylogger (something that records keystrokes) has been installed - if you're on a Mac, you may need to ask one of those folks with the black t-shirts to look for strange processes on your system.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:33:58 AM »

My yahoo e-mail keeps getting hacked.  It has happened about three or four times in the past six months.  Someone gets in and sends spam to people on my e-mail list, and I have to change my password.  What gets me is that I have very hard passwords, with lots of letters, numbers and other symbols, and the hackers still get in.  So I had to change my password again right now.

1.  How do I do a mass e-mailing to everyone who is in my yahoo contacts?  I'd like to send something out to them when this happens to tell them to not open the last mailing they think they got from me, but I don't know how to send an e-mail to everyone.  It's probably really easy, but I am that computer illiterate.  (My first computer was a cast iron type writer.)

2.  I received a copy of the spam this time, and the e-mail address that shows up next to my name is not my e-mail address.  It is the following:  Salpy <valentina @ pirani.info>   That is not my e-mail address.  Does this mean the person who is hacking me is named Valentina, and this is her address?  What do I do?  Can I call the police on her?

3.  Does the fact that I am getting hacked so much mean that there is a bug, or malware, or virus in my computer?  Who do I take it to?  Should I take it to those young men at the Apple Store, who wear black t-shirts?  Would they know how to stop this?

Hi Salpy!

You do not need to Hack or find passwords to use your email address. I have had a lot of emails go out in my name. They get it from papers or the university directory and use it to send spam to other people at the same location as mine so as not be be immediately flagged as spam by the incoming server.

In your case it could be from a Yahoo group, or Facebook (I do not have a Facebook account so I do not know if email addresses are visable) or possibly even here. I really do not think they would bother to find out your password for this particular task.

Generally the username will be your email address with the real email address between <      >.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:25:58 AM »

I'm still having trouble with my yahoo account.

Is g-mail really that much more secure?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 12:42:27 AM »

I'm still having trouble with my yahoo account.

Is g-mail really that much more secure?

I have known others who have had their yahoo account hacked. I cannot even access my yahoo account to see if it is still working. I think java script is disabled, anyway that is what yahoo keeps telling me, and is the reason why I cannot access yahoo.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 12:45:21 AM »

Hi Salpy!

You do not need to Hack or find passwords to use your email address. I have had a lot of emails go out in my name. They get it from papers or the university directory and use it to send spam to other people at the same location as mine so as not be be immediately flagged as spam by the incoming server.

In your case it could be from a Yahoo group, or Facebook (I do not have a Facebook account so I do not know if email addresses are visable) or possibly even here. I really do not think they would bother to find out your password for this particular task.

Generally the username will be your email address with the real email address between <      >.

When I was at the university, I had people sending me emails all the time. They got it from university information posted online. It became an issue as teachers and students were harassed.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 12:49:59 AM »

Is it easy to transfer your e-mail from yahoo to g-mail? 

How does a person do that?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:33 AM »

Is it easy to transfer your e-mail from yahoo to g-mail? 

How does a person do that?

By the way, you do not need to use your real name to open a google account. Many people use initials or make up a name.

There is probably an easy way to transfer mail from yahoo to gmail, but I did not want to have all the spam transferred, so I contacted all my correspondents and gave them my gmail account. It was lovely not having all that spam, but now they found me.

Google does have a great spam detector, but you must check it to make sure that good mail is not in your spam. For example, if someone sends me a long email with or without attachments, it will end up in the spam box.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 12:55:19 AM »

What Opus said. Someone is using your known address to phish most likely.

For whatever reason, yahoo is likely to be used for phishing, I am not sure why. I get three or four emails a week from folks with yahoo account, which are phish attempts (with how terse people make their email, maybe some are true email).

The problem isn't that your yahoo account has been hacked, but that phishers know that your have a real email account and people will respond to it.

Really it is no big deal. Phishers are pretty benign for the most part. If it were your work email, I would be more concerned because then, it could be an attempt to get an insight into the structure and nature of your work and those you work with to then target a specific real hacking attempt.

It is just annoying. The best solution? Used a ton of email addresses, with one primary you never give out except to those,  to no one really.

orthonorm@gmail.com will my primary account. Few people use it, its NBD. Give pretty much every part of my online world its own email. It's kept me safe knock on wood, for over 20 years.

Maybe you should go to gmail. Start using that as your primary, forward you yahoo account to there. Google has more and better infrastructure protecting, they are the NSA after all. Then I would start creating other gmail accounts for each place you use.

Oh well, I am rambling.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »

Best ways to not get hacked.

1)  Use Linux.  The security is pretty amazing, viruses are basically nil, as is maleware. *keep updated.
2)  Use good passwords.  lower case, upper case, numbers and digits.  example -  *Smith1#2L
3)  Stay off Internet Explorer and use a different browser.
4)  Use private browsing.
5)  Don't click on links from unknown people who email you.
6)  No you didn't win $5000 so don't click on it.
7)  Use a router before your computer and internet connection (common)
Cool  DD-WRT firmware is very secure on the router if you can get a compatible one
9)  Did I say use linux?   At least either dual boot and browse with linux or use a virtualbox linux install to use on the internet.
10)  Don't put an 8 next to the ) or else the OC.net will hack your post with a  Cool
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:58:10 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »

11) Stay off the naughty sites!  Tongue

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »

11) Stay off the naughty sites!  Tongue

You're ruining my evening. 

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »

11) Stay off the naughty sites!  Tongue

"The disciples said to him, 'If this is the case, it is better to not have internet access.' Jesus replied, 'Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.'" (Matt. 19:10-11)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:10:51 AM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 02:47:35 AM »

I don't think Gmail is significantly more secure than Yahoo Mail; Yahoo Mail is just the target of more phishing schemes, and a lot of Yahoo Mail users fall for these schemes.

I would recommend paying for email service with Fastmail. Starting at $10/year you get a great, secure service that respects your privacy. All other "free" services are just using your personal information for advertising. :/

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: