OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:25:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upon reunion  (Read 1429 times) Average Rating: 0
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »

In the future when (God willing) reunion occurs between The CC, OO and EO what who would step down as the Patriarch of Alexandria? The Greek or Coptic Pope?  Btw the Coptic catholic patriarch certainly would step down.

Secondly would the Pope of Alexandria still lay claim to being patriarch of all Africa? Considering how big Africa is and the fact that practically 95% of the faithful in the united church in Africa  would be Latin. I envision at least two patriarchs in Africa. One for north Africa and one for Sub-Saharan africa considering the size of the continent.

Further would you like a unified biblical canon and singular calendar?

Also, would you want the Latin church to change its discipline of mandatory priestly celibacy within the Latin church itself?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:53:02 PM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »

Unlikely scenario and it will never happen, but I'll give it a try.

In the future when (God willing) reunion occurs between The CC, OO and EO what who would step down as the Patriarch of Alexandria? The Greek or Coptic Pope?  Btw the Coptic catholic patriarch certainly would step down.

I suppose both would stay on till death and then one successor will be chosen.

Secondly would the Pope of Alexandria still lay claim to being patriarch of all Africa? Considering how big Africa is and the fact that practically 95% of the faithful in the united church in Africa  would be Latin. I envision at least two patriarchs in Africa. One for north Africa and one for Sub-Saharan africa considering the size of the continent.

Africa will be in the jurisdiction of Alexandria, but I think that most of them can keep on using the rite they're accustomed to.

Nah, the Orthodox Church does without a unified calendar and canon just fine.

Also, would you want the Latin church to change its discipline of mandatory priestly celibacy within the Latin church itself?

Not if they don't want to. I'd be surprised if this ever came up, or would come up, as a serious point of contention in ecumenical talks.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »

This question sure is a sign of the times. I guess people don't even truly believe that schism exists any longer.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »

I think when the day comes that this will become a concern, we will have bigger issues to worry about like whose jurisdiction does Alpha Centauri fall under and where are we all going to live now that the Sun is about to go supernova.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »

The utter demoralization of Rome, dependent on same of the West as world power, would have to transpire before reunion, the way it looks to me.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »

This question sure is a sign of the times. I guess people don't even truly believe that schism exists any longer.

In the histories of these three, what's the longest a schism went on before being healed?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:58:39 PM »

In the future when (God willing) reunion occurs between The CC, OO and EO

I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there have been a million unions just in my lifetime -- be they EO-to-C, C-to-EO, OO-to-C, C-to-OO, EO-to-OO, or OO-to-EO. I guess the question is, what does the above quote mean? Complete EO-to-C and OO-to-C movement?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »

In the histories of these three, what's the longest a schism went on before being healed?

One thousand five hundred sixty-three years and still going...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »

I should have phrased that better. I'm thinking about significant schisms that occurred in the past and have already been healed. The Acacian schism of 484–519 is the first example that comes to mind.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »

How much time is that in Purgatory?

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »

In the future when (God willing) reunion occurs between The CC, OO and EO what who would step down as the Patriarch of Alexandria? The Greek or Coptic Pope?  Btw the Coptic catholic patriarch certainly would step down.

I believe that would be 395 years. Schism started in 1054, was healed by the Council of Florence 1449.

P.S. You were looking for polemics, right?

(Cheesy)

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »

In the future when (God willing) reunion occurs between The CC, OO and EO

I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there have been a million unions just in my lifetime -- be they EO-to-C, C-to-EO, OO-to-C, C-to-OO, EO-to-OO, or OO-to-EO. I guess the question is, what does the above quote mean? Complete EO-to-C and OO-to-C movement?

it simply means a unified church luke the first three centuries of Church history. I'm not gonna say who returns to who as that's not the issue of the questions.

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »

it simply means a unified church luke the first three centuries of Church history. I'm not gonna say who returns to who as that's not the issue of the questions.

As you wish. Smiley

But as I said, there have been (something like)

a million unions just in my lifetime -- be they EO-to-C, C-to-EO, OO-to-C, C-to-OO, EO-to-OO, or OO-to-EO.

Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:08:27 AM by Raylight » Logged

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »

In all honesty, I think you need to be a little patient with our Orthodox brother-posters on this point. Frankly, if you spend much time around Catholic-Orthodox discussions, you'll hear a basically non-stop series of predictions about how Catholics and Orthodox are going to get together, yada yada yada. (I'm Catholic but even I get pretty sick of it ... although, it strikes me that if someday I spend a lot of time around Catholic-Anglican discussions, I'll get pretty sick of predictions, from Anglicans, about how Catholics and Anglicans are going to get together.) So perhaps overreactions like "it will never happen" are somewhat understandable.

Avdima

Faith: In search of...
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »

The Catholic-Orthodox reunion has already happened. Okay in heaven but not Earth just yet.  Wink
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 11:50:53 PM »

I believe people on here have said in the past they (Greek and Coptic) would both reign until one died, and iirc the Coptic Pope ultimately takes the reigns so to speak.

For the biblical canon, no. For the calendar, idk.

It would be nice, even if just to get polemical Latin apologetics to quit lashing out at the East in their defense against Protestants, but ultimately it's fine as a Latin-only custom.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:52:11 PM by Nephi » Logged
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »

Like others, in this seemingly impossible instance, I agree I think it makes most sense that a new patriarch would be elected to replace them both in some kind of instance, perhaps at death or other sort of thing. But I  talk with others, and say that it would make more sense that they stay separate and continue separate patriarchates. Personally I just think it makes sense not to have two patriarchs for one place

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 03:06:29 AM »

Only on internet forums.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »

In the future when (God willing) reunion occurs between The CC, OO and EO what who would step down as the Patriarch of Alexandria? The Greek or Coptic Pope?  Btw the Coptic catholic patriarch certainly would step down.

Only on internet forums.

Not entirely. Nor can the phenomenon be pinned entirely on Catholics, as some of your fellow Orthodox seem to do. After all, wasn't it Dr. David Bentley Hart who wrote "The Myth of Schism"?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »

Only on internet forums.

Not entirely. Nor can the phenomenon be pinned entirely on Catholics, as some of your fellow Orthodox seem to do. After all, wasn't it Dr. David Bentley Hart who wrote "The Myth of Schism"?

Just because a few people, relatively speaking, in our respective communions wait with bated breath for inter-communion, it doesn't mean that the schism didn't happen or is not a big deal.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 08:03:18 AM »

Just because a few people, relatively speaking, in our respective communions wait with bated breath for inter-communion, it doesn't mean that the schism didn't happen or is not a big deal.

I agree. I'm not claiming that the schism didn't happen or is not a big deal -- which again speaks to my same basic point: There are unionists (or "schism-deniers" if you prefer) among Catholics and among Orthodox, and at the same time there are non-unionists among Catholics and among Orthodox.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »

When talk of Union comes up on this forum, I always like to pose the question: "And just what would make a union?"  "what beliefs or dogmas would have to be compromised", "can you live in a world of parallel theologies and still be considered 'as one' ?".  So, although its fun discussing this possibility over coffee , the idea that this will happen any time this side of heaven is pure speculation.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »

That's the point. Unlike what many people seem to believe, the differences between the churches are not like arguments between brothers that ultimately are related to their behavior and not to a concrete reality. Our differences are more like different scientific researches claiming to have found facts that cannot both be true at the same time. As sad as it may be, either one of us or both are wrong, but that we both are right is impossible. That's why sometimes people want to leave behind the rigours of clear definitions for "fraternity" and all. True, two scientists with different "facts" can be friends, but tells nothing about the reality of what each believe to be true.

All in all, unionist ecumenism is just a symptom of an age where no Christian church has political hegemony or power to persecute the other while at the same time all churches are equally persecuted by a plethora of anti-christian movements and there is a lot of PR to be gained from showing off as eager to "reconcile" as if the differences were just misunderstandings. When one or all of these factors change, I am pretty sure we will go back to the old "I'm right, you're wrong, that justifies erradicating you" habit or at least some form of isolationism.

What I wish is that we could live in the best of two worlds: "I'm right, you're wrong, I hope at some point you repent and God forgives your sins but you have the right to be wrong and to live accordingly, I hope all the best for you, see you later at the cafe after we go to our respective churches". There you have serious faith, realism, real dialogue, respect, tolerance. Just about everything that unionist ecumenism avoids.

When talk of Union comes up on this forum, I always like to pose the question: "And just what would make a union?"  "what beliefs or dogmas would have to be compromised", "can you live in a world of parallel theologies and still be considered 'as one' ?".  So, although its fun discussing this possibility over coffee , the idea that this will happen any time this side of heaven is pure speculation.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:02:02 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »

When talk of Union comes up on this forum, I always like to pose the question: "And just what would make a union?"  "what beliefs or dogmas would have to be compromised", "can you live in a world of parallel theologies and still be considered 'as one' ?".  So, although its fun discussing this possibility over coffee , the idea that this will happen any time this side of heaven is pure speculation.

With all due respect... This is irrelevant to the questions asked

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »

Lets refocus the question to: when OO and EO reunite and RC and Anglicans reunite, what will the respective Churches look like? Will the RC Church elect Her Most Holiness Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori as Pope and will she kiss as many babies as Pope Francis?  Will the monks at the Holy Sepulchre finally stop hitting each other with brooms?  Penetrating questions indeed...

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »

Lets refocus the question to: when OO and EO reunite and RC and Anglicans reunite, what will the respective Churches look like? Will the RC Church elect Her Most Holiness Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori as Pope and will she kiss as many babies as Pope Francis?  Will the monks at the Holy Sepulchre finally stop hitting each other with brooms?  Penetrating questions indeed...

Your avatar seems more likely to happen.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 12:49:33 PM »

My initial reaction to this was "Why would we switch to that question?" but then i thought "Oh IC, because it's a question whose answer we can all agree upon;to wit 'not going to happen, excepting if the Anglicans repent and turn back their clocks'."

Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: I agree with the Church
Jurisdiction: Huh

St. Leo III, Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »

1. I think the Coptic one should remain because the Coptic Church is the one native to that area.
2. I don't see a problem with one patriarch of all Africa, nor really for all the "West" for that matter.
3. No need except for Easter.
4. It would be expedient to change it because it does not affect doctrine and it has been a point of contention since (St.) Photius, but it should not be a condition of union.

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »

It won't happen because it is intrisically impossible just as it is impossible for God to be a pantheon.

If the hierarchs of any two churches succumbed to hybris and proceeded to "union", they would just create a third new church. True followers of the previous churches would simply get together, reorganize and anathematize the new one. The new church might enjoy mundane legitimacy to marginalize the true followers for some time, but eventually (even if it took centuries as it took for Arianism) it would fade away and they would be seen for what they truly are: just one more division that added to the confusion instead of healing it.

There will be no healing before the Last Judgement:

24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’
St. Matthew 13:24-30
http://books.google.cat/books?id=zz1MbStmeZkC&pg=PA21&dq=Wazo++Li%C3%A8ge&hl=ca&sa=X&ei=5WGsU4nKFcSQ7Ab_vYDYAw&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Wazo%20%20Li%C3%A8ge&f=false

Unionist ecumenists are just disobedient and tempting God.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:28:10 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »

It won't happen because it is intrisically impossible

So the Latin Church is incapable of returning to the truth (a kind of reverse infallibility)? Not that I think that's what you mean, but that's the meaning of your words if there isn't an implied qualifier.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »

So the Latin Church is incapable of returning to the truth (a kind of reverse infallibility)? Not that I think that's what you mean, but that's the meaning of your words if there isn't an implied qualifier.

It's not. The problem is that people treat churches as if they were individuals. If anything, only one of the churches could say that, but which is precisely the question from an ecumenist point of view.

All the others are groups. If you had 100 people in one group, 200 in another, half from each, including top hierarchs, united to form a third, you will still have group A with 50, group B with 100 and now group C with 150. Probably C will feel legitimated in persecuting the "schismatics" from A and B, and may even have the acceptance of the world in doing so. The truth, nevertheless, is that it's just a new division.

The more so talking about churches with hundreds of millions of adherents. No one can seriously speak of union if not having in mind the intention of actually marginalizing - if not waging outright persecution of - those that do not adhere.

It has nothing to do with who's right and who's wrong. It's just the structure of reality. Even if both groups were right, which is impossible, it would still be just one more division.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:41:47 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »

Unionist ecumenism is just a face of the revolutionary mentality in religion. People trying to "fix" the world, determining a "future state" that they consider unnegotiable, redefining morality and language about reality to justify that set future and throwing all who do not cooperate into the grinder. At the least bad, it's magical thinking, trying to wish away the divisions.

Jesus clearly explained that the state of having tares and wheat is unnescapable, that we are to wait until the Last Judgment and try to still love each other in the meantime. Now people have decided that if only they call both wheats and tares "plants", that all those specific words are just misunderstandings, that insisting on them is evil and unfraternal, if only we do that, then wheat and tare will cease being different. If they succeed they will just get a third mutant that's not wheat nor tare.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:51:19 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 04:00:34 PM »

Behold,
Wheatare, the uniter of all schisms, arms spread open to receive all! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:00:54 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »

This man knows how to make an argument.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »

This man knows how to make an argument.

impressive... But its off topic  Undecided

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »

1. I think the Coptic one should remain because the Coptic Church is the one native to that area.
2. I don't see a problem with one patriarch of all Africa, nor really for all the "West" for that matter.
4. It would be expedient to change it because it does not affect doctrine and it has been a point of contention since (St.) Photius, but it should not be a condition of union.

1. I agree with you on that one
2. The Latin church is no more just the west.  The idea of patriarch of the west is useless today. However for Africa , I still believe there should at least be two patriarchs in africa.
3. Good point.
4. Well Photius had no right to contend since it wasn't an issue pertaining to his church so that's not a bases for anything. At least we agree it should not be a condition of union Smiley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:23:43 PM by Wandile » Logged

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

2. The Latin church is no more just the west.  The idea of patriarch of the west is useless today. However for Africa , I still believe there should at least be two patriarchs in africa.
3. Good point.
4. Well Photius had no right to contend since it wasn't an issue pertaining to his church so that's not a bases for anything. At least we agree it should not be a condition of union Smiley

"At least we agree it should not be a condition of union"  And of course you are in the heir archial position to determine this?
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »

1) There is only one Orthodox Pope of Alexandria. The converting community would acknowledge him. His nationality should not matter. The Church could, though, ordain and elavate one of the converts to the episcopacy and then to Patriarch to make the transition easier for the new community;

2) New subdivisions in Church jurisdictions are problematic. Any change would better be decided in a council;

3) The converting community would adopt the biblical canon and calendar of the Church;

4) Not necessary, but it would be good for the West in general. Ultimately, it's a decision for the bishops of the West.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:22:11 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »

1) There is only one Orthodox Pope of Alexandria. The converting community would acknowledge him. His nationality should not matter. The Church could, though, ordain and elavate one of the converts to the episcopacy and then to Patriarch to make the transition easier for the new community;

2) New subdivisions in Church jurisdictions are problematic. Any change would better be decided in a council;

3) The converting community would adopt the biblical canon and calendar of the Church;

4) Not necessary, but it would be good for the West in general. Ultimately, it's a decision for the bishops of the West.

That's certainly not going to happen.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »

That's certainly not going to happen.

Obviously. But people can make pretend by doing something else entirely and then calling it by the same name. People should read more Romeo and Juliet to know that you can convert, but not have a "united church".

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

A new division will be a new division, even if they call it a "healing".

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 07:08:14 PM »

It's not. The problem is that people treat churches as if they were individuals. If anything, only one of the churches could say that, but which is precisely the question from an ecumenist point of view.

All the others are groups. If you had 100 people in one group, 200 in another, half from each, including top hierarchs, united to form a third, you will still have group A with 50, group B with 100 and now group C with 150. Probably C will feel legitimated in persecuting the "schismatics" from A and B, and may even have the acceptance of the world in doing so. The truth, nevertheless, is that it's just a new division.

The more so talking about churches with hundreds of millions of adherents. No one can seriously speak of union if not having in mind the intention of actually marginalizing - if not waging outright persecution of - those that do not adhere.

It has nothing to do with who's right and who's wrong. It's just the structure of reality. Even if both groups were right, which is impossible, it would still be just one more division.

Well, I'd say I've been opposed false ecumenism (or "unionist ecumenism") for a very long time -- regardless of whether it comes from Catholics, Anglicans, or Lutherans.

Oh, and I just remembered that it can come from Orthodox too!

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »

3. Good point.

"At least we agree it should not be a condition of union"  And of course you are in the heir archial position to determine this?

I was speaking about my agreement with Justin...

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »

I believe people on here have said in the past they (Greek and Coptic) would both reign until one died, and iirc the Coptic Pope ultimately takes the reigns so to speak.

For the biblical canon, no. For the calendar, idk.

It would be nice, even if just to get polemical Latin apologetics to quit lashing out at the East in their defense against Protestants, but ultimately it's fine as a Latin-only custom.

If you'll pardon my curiosity, could you clarify: Does this include WRO?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »

it was always a tradition (small t) so I couldn't care less if they kept it, but it seems your Pope is maybe wanting to change that.

If you'll pardon my curiosity, could you clarify: Does this include WRO?
The WRO have the same exact canon as all Orthodox (unlike the EC folks), so unless the entire Church instituted this, I wouldnt hold my breath.

1. I think the Coptic one should remain because the Coptic Church is the one native to that area
Sounds good.

2. I don't see a problem with one patriarch of all Africa, nor really for all the "West" for that matter
"The West" is kind of ambiguous, so some definition would be in order for that one to work.

3. No need except for Easter
Lol. Easier said then done apparently. As stupid as the argument is.....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »

it was always a tradition (small t) so I couldn't care less if they kept it, but it seems your Pope is maybe wanting to change that.

Even in the west (West) it wasn't always mandatory, I don't think.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »

Even in the west (West) it wasn't always mandatory, I don't think.

It was enforced surprisingly late, actually, and even afterward was enforced laxly in some areas and periods.

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2014, 06:54:46 PM »

With all of the  post Vatican married clergy would be restored you would think
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:55:08 PM by username! » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: