OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:16:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Benedict XVI: Enemy of Jihad?  (Read 2447 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: April 21, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=17772

In choosing Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger to succeed Pope John Paul II as Pope Benedict XVI, the Catholic Church has cast a vote for the survival of Europe and the West. “Europe will be Islamic by the end of the century,” historian Bernard Lewis predicted not long ago; however, judging from the writings of the new Pope, he is not likely to be sanguine about this transition. For one thing, the new Pope seems to be aware of the grave danger Europeans face: he has called upon Europe to recover its Christian roots “if it truly wants to survive.”

For while his predecessor kissed the Qur’an and pursued a consistent line of conciliation toward the Islamic world, despite numerous provocations and attacks against Catholics in Muslim countries, the new Pope Benedict XVI, while no less charitable, has been a bit more forthcoming about the reality of how Islam challenges the Catholic Church, Christianity, and even the post-Christian West. He has spoken up for the rights of converts from Islam to Christianity, who live under a death sentence in Islamic countries and increasingly live in fear even in the West. He has even spoken approvingly of Christians proselytizing Muslims — a practice that enrages Muslims and is against the law in many Islamic countries.

The new Pope has criticized Europe’s reluctance to acknowledge its Christian roots for fear of offending Islam’s rapidly growing and increasingly influential presence in European countries — a presence which, as historian Bat Ye’or demonstrates in her book Eurabia, has been actively encouraged and facilitated by European leaders for over three decades. “What offends Islam,” said Cardinal Ratzinger, “is the lack of reference to God, the arrogance of reason, which provokes fundamentalism.” He has criticized multiculturalism, “which is so constantly and passionately encouraged and supported,” because it “sometimes amounts to an abandonment and disavowal of what is our own.”

He contrasts the modern-day resurgence of Islam with the enervation of Europe. In old Europe, he has said, “we are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one’s own ego and one's own desires.” Islam, on the other hand, is anything but relativistic: “The rebirth of Islam is due in part to the new material richness acquired by Muslim countries, but mainly to the knowledge that it is able to offer a valid spiritual foundation for the life of its people, a foundation that seems to have escaped from the hands of old Europe.”

In line with his call to Europeans to recover their own spiritual heritage, the new Pope opposes Turkey’s proposed entrance into the European Union: “Turkey,” he has declared, “has always represented a different continent, always in contrast with Europe.” But his objection is not simply geographical — in fact, he opposes the geographical oversimplifications that underlie Turkey’s EU bid: “Europe,” he has explained, “was founded not on a geography, but on a common faith. We have to redefine what Europe is, and we cannot stop at positivism.” A Europe newly defined as in some sense a Christian entity may outrage secularists, but a secular and relativist Europe has so far proved powerless against the Islamization of Europe — despite the fact that that Islamization threatens cherished Western notions of the equality of rights and dignity of all people.

Europe, the new Pope has written, “appears to be at the start of its decline and fall.”

It may be too late, as Bat Ye’or believes, to arrest that decline and fall. However, the first thing a physician does when he treats a disease is identify the problem. No healing can proceed from a misdiagnosis. It is heartening to see that Pope Benedict XVI has already, in various speeches and writings before his accession to the papacy, dared to speak more clearly about the threat that Islam poses to Western civilization than his predecessor — for all his many and remarkable gifts — ever quite managed to do.

Late in 2003 the semi-official Jesuit magazine La Civilt+á Cattolica departed from John Paul II’s policy toward Islam and published a scathing criticism of the mistreatment that Christians suffer in Islamic societies. It represented the first indication that any Catholic officials recognized the dimensions of the religious conflict that jihadists are waging against Christians and others around the world. La Civilt+á Cattolica pointed out that “for almost a thousand years Europe was under constant threat from Islam, which twice put its survival in serious danger.” Now, through jihad terrorism and demographics Islam is threatening Europe’s survival yet again — and it looks as if now there is a Pope who has noticed. Maybe in Europe the resistance is just beginning.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:09:33 AM »

Mike Savage will be pleased that there is a real man in the Vatican.  PC relativism is destroying western civilization as we know it.  But watch out..Islam is a red herring. The threat comes from the Church, especially when Truth is placed in oppostion to Love.  Let's all be friends and forget our doctrinal differences etc... "Jesus wants the WCC to proclaim one celebration of EAster..."   Do a search on Google or Yahoo on: Varulla Ryden.  We are now being told what to preach from the pulpit by Liberal Jews who promote feminism and sodomy.  Check out the Clergy Institue to learn how to observe diversity differences in your parish.  All this horse manure is making inroads into Orthodoxy.  That's where the threat comes from, not Islam.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 11:33:33 AM »

Observer

(Respectfully) I think you are off the mark.  Certainly the level of political correctness and the desire for a "modern" church are challenges OC's face, however to ignore the spread of Islam in Europe as secondary to as you say "Liberal Jewish" doctrine from the pulpit, is misguided (at best).

In the last 15 years we have has seen the creation of an Islamic Bosnia (in the heart of Europe), we are on the verge of an Islamic Kosova [sic] and the destruction of approximately 200 Orthodox Churches in Kosovo alone. 

This of course, does not even mention the dire conditions that of Orthodox Christians all over the middle east at the hands of Islam.  I think EA is spot on with his comments above.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:20:28 PM »

Have faith in Jesus, fellow believers! Just a few decades ago, the situation was worse, when the atheist regime closed most of the Churches in Russia & the neighbouring Orthodox Countries.
Yet, Russia is back from the dead, and now is Orthodox, after the miraculous fall of the Atheistic Regime in 1992. Do you think Jesus will leave us like that?

SouthSerb, please have faith! Your country is being tried like all the orthodox nations, but God will not abandon the Serbs!!!

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 12:29:37 PM »

Ntinos,

Brother in Christ, you are absolutely correct. I find myself growing more pessimistic as I watch the destruction of our Churches in Kosovo, and sometimes I need a swift kick in the behind to gain perspective. Wink

... then I think about the Macedonian "Orthodox" who are also destroying real Orthodox Churches...  :flame:  :flame:

Taking a deep breath now...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 12:31:56 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 01:08:42 PM »

... then I think about the Macedonian "Orthodox" who are also destroying real Orthodox Churches... 

Lol! I should be the one losing faith on the issue of "Macedonia"...

I have faith in Jesus, that the situation in the Balkans will become a lot better, once Greece is powerful enough to create actual politics in the Balkans. And this will be very soon, but not because the Government is worthy of doing so, but because God Himself has entrusted to us, through His blessed hieromonks, that Orthodoxy will soon reach the far corners of this Globe, and soon enough Greece will live in the glory of Byzantium.

Remember brother Serb, we are the Orthodox, and we will win. If it were for us to be destroyed, we would have been assimilated into the Sultan's hordes during the Turkocracy which all Orthodox Balkan nations tried. This did not happen, therefore God has a plan for us.

Just a decade ago, when someone asked a blessed (with the gift of clairvoyance) hieromonk on the issue of Cyprus, he replied that the Cypriots should have faith, and that Cyprus will be Greek and Orthodox once more, but it will not be because the (Greek) Cypriots are powerful enough to do so, but because the monasteries of Cyprus will bring this about with their prayers.

cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »

but God will not abandon the Serbs

. . . as long as the Serbs don't abandon the True Faith.

Our faith is bigger than monastic buildings, the faithful being persecuted and even Kosovo itself.  I have faith that, regardless of what the powers of this world do to Kosovo, God is preparing something greater.  The suffering Serbian people are demonstrating to all True Christians and to the rest of the world what true faith looks like.

Kosovo is being crucified, and to a large extent by other “Christian” nations. 

But the Serbs must remain faithful to Christ’s Church.  As long as they do, I think they will survive but be persecuted.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 01:51:27 PM »

But the Serbs must remain faithful to Christ’s Church. As long as they do, I think they will survive but be persecuted.

Cizinec,

To this end, I just read an article someone posted (I believe yesterday) with respect to a division that occurred in Serbia.  I was curious as to all of your thoughts.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php/topic,5905.0.html

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 02:09:43 PM »

Just do not worry about the future of Servia. Worry about the future of the world once Putin activates the "bow" of Orthodoxy.

alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 02:16:45 PM »

What can AMericans do here in the West to support Serbian Church when it comes to Poverty and anti-Globilization? Would non-Orthodox have to convert to help Serbian Church overseas?
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 02:55:57 PM »

What can AMericans do here in the West to support Serbian Church when it comes to Poverty and anti-Globilization? Would non-Orthodox have to convert to help Serbian Church overseas?

I don't think you have to convert to Orthodoxy to help any of our Churches (although you might want to  Wink).  If you can find the nearest SOC to you, I'm sure you can get whatever information you are looking for to provide help.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Ecumenical

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 06:38:32 AM »

Just do not worry about the future of Servia. Worry about the future of the world once Putin activates the "bow" of Orthodoxy.

Ntinos what do you mean by that? Is this a bad thing?
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 02:08:55 PM »

President Putin is actually counting too much on Orthodoxy, to the extent that he manipulates the Orthodox Church in Russia to support him, and in exchange he promises the Church welfare & growth. So far this is working well for Putin.

If you take a map, and look from the bottom of Greece to Moscow, you will see a number of other Orthodox nations between: Greece, Bulgaria, Servia, Romania, Moldavia, Ukraine and Russia. The map forms sort of a bow, which 'holds off' the Islamic presence. It's like a shield between Europe & Islam. What president Vladimir Putin is counting on is, that he can expand the influence of Moscow to the nearby Orthodox Countries, therefore forming an alliance of Orthodox Nations that could get him steer clear from battles with Islam (Cheznya for examplle, Turkey, Albania, Bosnia and other strategic points for Russian presence in the region of the Balkans and the Middle East). He's doing pretty much what the Tsars were doing before the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, in order to lessen the control of other powers (eg Nato right now) in the regions neighborouring Russia.

I have found awful prophecies from various sources (hieromonks mainly, with the prophetic gift) with no obvious connection between each other (for example, some of the monks were from Russia, and others from Agion Oros in Greece), that Russia and Europe will engage in a war very soon, in which Europe will emerge bathed in blood...

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »

Ntinos,

The problem is, the "Western Powers" have already pierced holes in the bow.  Bosnia is Muslim.  Kosovo will be Muslim, Albania is Muslim, FYROM is at the very least 1/3 Muslim with the entire northern border with Serbia, Muslim controlled.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 04:27:29 PM »

Ntinos,

The problem is, the "Western Powers" have already pierced holes in the bow.  Bosnia is Muslim.  Kosovo will be Muslim, Albania is Muslim, FYROM is at the very least 1/3 Muslim with the entire northern border with Serbia, Muslim controlled.

You forgot Cyprus & Thrace... Sad

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 04:42:51 PM »

TOUCHE!!!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Tags: