OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:07:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell OC.net  (Read 1949 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« on: June 22, 2014, 05:45:17 AM »

Hi, Its time for me to take a break and leave this forum for awhile.

Thanks for help answering my questions.

Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »

This forum is full of negativity... I dunno why the Mods lead it and leave it in that direction..

This user no longer posts here.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »

The forum also has to be free; you definitely don't want to lose that. What bothers me is when threads divert into arguments, but that's also an expression of freedom.

Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 06:36:57 AM »

nothing wrong with arguments, just with negative things... you only see of bad stuff, faithless, insecurity, fear, condemnation, blah blah blah Cheesy , avoidance to discuss important matter of the faith.. only negative emotions... just like all my experience of Orthodoxy everywhere Smiley... one has to wonder...

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:43:21 AM »

nothing wrong with arguments, just with negative things... you only see of bad stuff, faithless, insecurity, fear, condemnation, blah blah blah Cheesy , avoidance to discuss important matter of the faith.. only negative emotions... just like all my experience of Orthodoxy everywhere Smiley... one has to wonder...

I agree. Yet, that's really a symptom of a spiritual illness, of our bad and alarming general condition nowadays. It's not necessarily something condemnable or the fault of the forum. Not much can be done through correction; we are dealing with the lack of various things rather with the actual presence of something bad.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:44:07 AM by IoanC » Logged

Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »

screw this I am packing also.. Smiley

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 07:20:06 AM »

Farewell and good luck.  Come back when you're ready, I'm sure OC.net will still be around.  Smiley

Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »

All forums are like this, especially religious ones. But disagreement is healthy for discourse in a discussion to get to the truth.

I don't know what people want sometimes, maybe a bunch of "ditto-heads" just sitting back in noddingly approval.

You would have to be almost brain-dead to hang out in a place like that.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »

I've had to take breaks from OC.net, too, for similar reasons. But there are some great discussions had here - sometimes even spiritually helpful ones (these are like diamonds in the rough! Wink).

But I agree with IoanC about freedom. I have had my relevant (and I thought rather illuminating) comments shaved right out of a discussion, along with others', so that the entire shape of the discussion was changed to suit the forum owner's opinions before. I won't say any names... it is an Orthodox forum site that starts with M.  Smiley

I prefer OC.net. But yeah... I hear ya. Some great peeps hang out here, though!

All the best!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »

This is what happens when the focus of one's religion becomes the practice of rituals, fasts, ceremonies, correctness of art and music and the like.  It is re-establishing the old Law which brought nothing but death and destruction.  Christ is the opposite of this.  The new rituals that He wishes us to perform are to help those around us, love each other, bring the Word of God to those who do not have it (and it helps if it is in their own language).  These are not negative things, but positives.  Yes, they can bring sadness.  When you get out in the world and start helping people, you see how fallen the world really is, and the pain that mankind suffers as a result.  But this sadness for these people IS the love of God, provided that you follow the commands of Christ and feed those that are hungry, clothe those that are naked, and visit those that are sick and in prison.  It is too bad that we come to an Orthodox forum to read "look at me fast", "should I masturbate", "can I have sex with my wife", "what new rules can I encumber my conscience with", "is it OK to be gay" thread rather than "how can I help".  WPM tried such a thread yesterday.  I had planned on answering it this morning and spent some of the evening looking for some places that he could put his money that would help him follow the will of Christ.  I think that he was asking more than just the obvious, however. Maybe he just should have asked if he should masturbate.  He would have had four pages of answers in 24 hours.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 01:04:11 PM »

Punch, I know you're not saying non-Orthodox religious forums tend to be any better.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »

Punch, I know you're not saying non-Orthodox religious forums tend to be any better.

No.  I could not say that because I am on no other religious forums regularly than this one.  Religion disgusts me enough as it is without looking for reasons to be disgusted.  But I will say that I am on a lot of non-religious forums that are.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »

I've had to take breaks from OC.net, too, for similar reasons. But there are some great discussions had here - sometimes even spiritually helpful ones (these are like diamonds in the rough! Wink).

But I agree with IoanC about freedom. I have had my relevant (and I thought rather illuminating) comments shaved right out of a discussion, along with others', so that the entire shape of the discussion was changed to suit the forum owner's opinions before. I won't say any names... it is an Orthodox forum site that starts with M.  Smiley

I prefer OC.net. But yeah... I hear ya. Some great peeps hang out here, though!

All the best!

Yes, I stay away from the "M" forum too. Some weird mods there.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »

No.  I could not say that because I am on no other religious forums regularly than this one.  Religion disgusts me enough as it is without looking for reasons to be disgusted.  But I will say that I am on a lot of non-religious forums that are.

I guess what I meant is that the Orthodox concern for ritual you mentioned hasn't, as I see it, made their forums more malodorous than, say, your average fundamentalist Protestant forum. In fact, I've found the latter a lot worse than here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:35:46 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »

No.  I could not say that because I am on no other religious forums regularly than this one.  Religion disgusts me enough as it is without looking for reasons to be disgusted.  But I will say that I am on a lot of non-religious forums that are.

I guess what I meant is that the Orthodox concern for ritual you mentioned hasn't, as I see it, made their forums more malodorous than, say, your average fundamentalist Protestant forum. In fact, I've found the latter a lot worse than here.

That may well be. However, I am not Protestant, so I really do not care what they do on their forums.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 04:00:10 PM »

This forum is full of negativity... I dunno why the Mods lead it and leave it in that direction..

I'm sorry, who exactly is the cause of negativity?

If you don't want to be here, then good riddance.  Please don't grace us with your multiple user names and plead your way back here promising to behave like an adult.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 04:04:07 PM »

This is what happens when the focus of one's religion becomes the practice of rituals, fasts, ceremonies, correctness of art and music and the like.  It is re-establishing the old Law which brought nothing but death and destruction.  Christ is the opposite of this.  The new rituals that He wishes us to perform are to help those around us, love each other, bring the Word of God to those who do not have it (and it helps if it is in their own language).  These are not negative things, but positives.  Yes, they can bring sadness.  When you get out in the world and start helping people, you see how fallen the world really is, and the pain that mankind suffers as a result.  But this sadness for these people IS the love of God, provided that you follow the commands of Christ and feed those that are hungry, clothe those that are naked, and visit those that are sick and in prison.  It is too bad that we come to an Orthodox forum to read "look at me fast", "should I masturbate", "can I have sex with my wife", "what new rules can I encumber my conscience with", "is it OK to be gay" thread rather than "how can I help".  WPM tried such a thread yesterday.  I had planned on answering it this morning and spent some of the evening looking for some places that he could put his money that would help him follow the will of Christ.  I think that he was asking more than just the obvious, however. Maybe he just should have asked if he should masturbate.  He would have had four pages of answers in 24 hours.

If you get a chance, go ahead and let me know what you think of this post by WPM:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,59053.0.html

And then come back and complain about how an "Orthodox forum" is.  Or better yet, if you're too annoyed, maybe you should pack your bags too.

Grow up people.  Stop acting like the whole world is crap because of an Orthodox forum, especially when you haven't even been to other religious forums to actually form an objective opinion.

I'm sick and tired of people just acting like they're sick and tired.  If you don't like reading posts here or being here, then leave.  Don't come.  You probably have better things to do, like reading non-religious forums.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:05:10 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »

If you get a chance, go ahead and let me know what you think of this post by WPM:

And then come back and complain about how an "Orthodox forum" is.  Or better yet, if you're too annoyed, maybe you should pack your bags too.

Grow up people.  Stop acting like the whole world is crap because of an Orthodox forum, especially when you haven't even been to other religious forums to actually form an objective opinion.

I'm sick and tired of people just acting like they're sick and tired.  If you don't like reading posts here or being here, then leave.  Don't come.  You probably have better things to do, like reading non-religious forums.

I did not say that I have not ever been on other religious forums, just that I am not on them currently. So, why don't you do me a favor and have aerial relations with a rolling pastry.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »

For some people, the forum is the only positive thing they have in life.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »

And for others, it's a medium to act like babies and complain of other people's behaviors.

They like to talk about how broken the world is and his one should feed the poor and yet spend time typing a few words to let you know how much other forums are better than this one.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »

And for others, it's a medium to act like babies and complain of other people's behaviors.

They like to talk about how broken the world is and his one should feed the poor and yet spend time typing a few words to let you know how much other forums are better than this one.

Can we acknowledge their concerns as long as they abide by the forum rules?
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »

Am I out of my league to write what I wrote?  Did I say someone broke the rules?

Do people even read the rules?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:10:52 PM by minasoliman » Logged

The Fool

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »

The forum also has to be free; you definitely don't want to lose that. What bothers me is when threads divert into arguments, but that's also an expression of freedom.

Which should indicate to us that there's something wrong with freedom as a principle.  Wink

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »

Am I out of my league to write what I wrote?  Did I say someone broke the rules?

No, but you mentioned a poster who was reinstated.  That poster has a negative view of the world at the moment - whose needs can't be completely addressed by the forum.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »

No, but you mentioned a poster who was reinstated.  That poster has a negative view of the world at the moment - whose needs can't be completely addressed by the forum.

Then the best thing is not to encourage his behavior by sharing with him how much this site is not good.  Instead of wasting time blaming his personal issues on Orthodox rituals and how much we don't give enough to the poor, he could perhaps have acknowledged with you his personal issues and dealt with it.

For many people here, it's easier to like to bicker about this site than to honestly engage in your own real problems.  Don't expect that you'll get a therapeutic pat on the back over the keyboard.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »

Then the best thing is not to encourage his behavior by sharing with him how much this site is not good.  Instead of wasting time blaming his personal issues on Orthodox rituals and how much we don't give enough to the poor, he could perhaps have acknowledged with you his personal issues and dealt with it.

For many people here, it's easier to like to bicker about this site than to honestly engage in your own real problems.  Don't expect that you'll get a therapeutic pat on the back over the keyboard.

Some people need that reassurance - it's like giving money to panhandlers.  I won't give money to panhandlers; however, I would give the 'therapeutic pat on the back' to a forum member who needs it.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »

Some people need that reassurance - it's like giving money to panhandlers.  I won't give money to panhandlers; however, I would give the 'therapeutic pat on the back' to a forum member who needs it.

And sometimes therapeutic cyber spanking is also necessary. People need a bit of a wake up call.  This thread is one of those times

DeniseDenise
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »

I think its fine to give such pats on the back over actual problems..

but if that problem is only expressed as 'This forum sucks'...then thats not a true problem of the same sort.

I -think- that is what Mina is getting at...
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »

And sometimes therapeutic cyber spanking is also necessary. People need a bit of a wake up call.  This thread is one of those times

Whatever you do ... don't become a psychiatrist.   Wink
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »

For some people, the this forum is the only positive thing experience of Orthodoxy that they have in life.

FIFY

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »

For some people, the this forum is the only positive thing experience of Orthodoxy that they have in life.

FIFY

That may be true for the OP, but not for the others who've posted on this thread.

I admit that repeatedly saying 'this forum sucks' is an issue appropriate for forum moderation; however, no one knows if a person is saying 'this forum sucks' because he/she perceives that everything else sucks in his/her life.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »

FIFY

That may be true for the OP, but not for the others who've posted on this thread.

I admit that repeatedly saying 'this forum sucks' is an issue appropriate for forum moderation; however, no one knows if a person is saying 'this forum sucks' because he/she perceives that everything else sucks in his/her life.

Most likely the latter.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »

This thread sucks.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »

^POM

Geh
scum par excellence
Warned

Faith: excessively cynical, amoral, nefarious, opportunistic, antisocial, sadistic, machiavellian, misanthropic, pessimistic, narcissistic, psychopathic, sociopathic, jaded, opulent self-absorbed navel-gazing
Jurisdiction: confines of my own idiocy

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »

All farewells should be sudden.

Quote from: Nikolaostheservant
tonight you die of a heart attack in your sleep. your at the pearly gates wanting to get in but you have not been very good nor have you been very bad, sin wise the scales are even. so to break the tie God asks you to explain this post you made, what u gona say?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »

This Forum, is in a way a part of this world.  Some days are good, and some days are bad.

There are many positive individuals who wish to communicate with other Orthodox, there are people who merely wish to learn about Orthodoxy, some have questions, some wish to have something explained....all here admittedly do learn something about Orthodoxy.  I know I have.

There are also negative people on the Forum, just like in the world.  There are people who thrive on conflict, can never admit they might be wrong, don't wish to see other's point of view, and are Pharisaical....and tend to bring negativity onto the Forum.

There are people who merely are having a bad day, or are struggling at the moment, don't feel well, have a headache, are in trouble with the boss, or the wife, or both....and come across as angry and intolerant.  They really aren't....they are just having issues and we must be patient with them, and help them.

The Forum is not a negative place, but, we tend to bring negativity onto the Forum.

If anyone finds this Forum to be negative, than I assign you the task of changing that around.

Be nice to everyone, be supportive, kind and understanding.  Don't jump at the bait, don't snap at the wagging finger....just let it go.

Everyone, even Dan, has every right to discuss their feelings on this thread and the entire Forum.  Yes, we know he's had issues, but, there's no need to throw them in his face at every opportunity.  We all make mistakes, we all sin, we fall....we get back up.  Let us encourage each other, not discourage.

If anyone has suggestions on how we can make this Forum "more" positive, feel free to share you suggestions with us.  No guarantees they will be implemented, but, this is a free country, and you can speak your piece - as long as it abides by Forum Rules.  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »

Minasoliman

I thought Punch's post was helpful and almost perfect. I do not think yours is in this regard. I am not referring to Dan-Romania, because I have not followed his posts and I think it is wrong to have responses to Dan-Romania rather than WPM, when WPM is the one in immediate need. I am sure Dan-Romania will agree with me and will be willing to be left out of the discussion.  I have kept a watchful eye on WPMs posts when I come across them. I also saw the thread that you refer to soon after he started it. It should slide, I can certainly rationalize it and I could possibly defend it if I had more information. If you have been following WPM's history then we should converse by PM because we have serious differences in opinion.

This does not mean that my impressions of WPM are correct (I have never communicated with him) but base on what I know, I love and care about him and will defend him, which I am doing now.
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »

Hi, Its time for me to take a break and leave this forum for awhile.

Thanks for help answering my questions.

I'm glad that it is a break, and not forever.

Sometimes we feel the need for breaks, I myself did in the past but had hard time to keep them. So, I hope you come back soon. We all here are your brothers and sisters, at least to me. We fight and argue, but we still members of one family.

God bless you WPM. And you're welcome to come back anytime.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:34:10 PM by Raylight » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »

Minasoliman

I thought Punch's post was helpful and almost perfect. I do not think yours is in this regard. I am not referring to Dan-Romania, because I have not followed his posts and I think it is wrong to have responses to Dan-Romania rather than WPM, when WPM is the one in immediate need. I am sure Dan-Romania will agree with me and will be willing to be left out of the discussion.  I have kept a watchful eye on WPMs posts when I come across them. I also saw the thread that you refer to soon after he started it. It should slide, I can certainly rationalize it and I could possibly defend it if I had more information. If you have been following WPM's history then we should converse by PM because we have serious differences in opinion.

This does not mean that my impressions of WPM are correct (I have never communicated with him) but base on what I know, I love and care about him and will defend him, which I am doing now.

The impression I got from Punch's post is an encouragement to the "blame the site" game.  It's this type of behavior that I will criticize.  Make of it what you will.

Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »

Minasoliman

The impression I got from Punch's post is an encouragement to the "blame the site" game.  It's this type of behavior that I will criticize.  Make of it what you will.

I re-read his post (reply #9) and I do not see your concern. For the most part I think he was spot on (with the exception of the English only idea). He is not complaining about the forum, but of the lack of helpfulness of people in the forum. People here often go after the easy fruit that has nothing to do with the Original Post or Poster.

My perspective is that it takes a lot of time and courage for a person on this forum to bring up personal problems and feelings. I certainly do not do this sort of thing because I lack the courage (and I think with justification). It takes just as much courage and time to come up with what might be a thoughtful and helpful response. It is not easy and will likely take multiple posts to clarify the issues at hand.

What I do see more often than I want is that if JamesR comments on a thread, the thread becomes about him because ridiculing him is thoughtless and easy. I worry that the emotional effort of the OP is likewise ridiculed and rejected, and depending on the OP's state of mind, devastating.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 11:27:42 PM »

I'll give an example.  When Raylight complained about his temporary doubts of the faith, he articulated it well enough for people to sympathize.  But when people act like jerks or make strange comments, you will not always get a sympathetic response.

If I have misinterpreted Punch, I offer to him my sincere apologies.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »

This is just my opinion, but I think the personal ridicule that occurs on this forum is the worst thing that goes on. It's shameful and should not be tolerated. Regardless of how ridiculous we find somebody's opinions, we should never disparage them personally. I've probably been guilty of this myself, and if so then I sincerely apologize.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 11:31:32 PM »

This is what happens when the focus of one's religion becomes the practice of rituals, fasts, ceremonies, correctness of art and music and the like.  It is re-establishing the old Law which brought nothing but death and destruction.  Christ is the opposite of this.  The new rituals that He wishes us to perform are to help those around us, love each other, bring the Word of God to those who do not have it (and it helps if it is in their own language).  These are not negative things, but positives.  Yes, they can bring sadness.  When you get out in the world and start helping people, you see how fallen the world really is, and the pain that mankind suffers as a result.  But this sadness for these people IS the love of God, provided that you follow the commands of Christ and feed those that are hungry, clothe those that are naked, and visit those that are sick and in prison.  It is too bad that we come to an Orthodox forum to read "look at me fast", "should I masturbate", "can I have sex with my wife", "what new rules can I encumber my conscience with", "is it OK to be gay" thread rather than "how can I help".  WPM tried such a thread yesterday.  I had planned on answering it this morning and spent some of the evening looking for some places that he could put his money that would help him follow the will of Christ.  I think that he was asking more than just the obvious, however. Maybe he just should have asked if he should masturbate.  He would have had four pages of answers in 24 hours.

And then come back and complain about how an "Orthodox forum" is.  Or better yet, if you're too annoyed, maybe you should pack your bags too.

Grow up people.  Stop acting like the whole world is crap because of an Orthodox forum, especially when you haven't even been to other religious forums to actually form an objective opinion.

I'm sick and tired of people just acting like they're sick and tired.  If you don't like reading posts here or being here, then leave.  Don't come.  You probably have better things to do, like reading non-religious forums.

Minasoliman

I thought Punch's post was helpful and almost perfect. I do not think yours is in this regard. I am not referring to Dan-Romania, because I have not followed his posts and I think it is wrong to have responses to Dan-Romania rather than WPM, when WPM is the one in immediate need. I am sure Dan-Romania will agree with me and will be willing to be left out of the discussion.  I have kept a watchful eye on WPMs posts when I come across them. I also saw the thread that you refer to soon after he started it. It should slide, I can certainly rationalize it and I could possibly defend it if I had more information. If you have been following WPM's history then we should converse by PM because we have serious differences in opinion.

The impression I got from Punch's post is an encouragement to the "blame the site" game.  It's this type of behavior that I will criticize.  Make of it what you will.

I re-read his post (reply #9) and I do not see your concern. For the most part I think he was spot on (with the exception of the English only idea). He is not complaining about the forum, but of the lack of helpfulness of people in the forum. People here often go after the easy fruit that has nothing to do with the Original Post or Poster.

My perspective is that it takes a lot of time and courage for a person on this forum to bring up personal problems and feelings. I certainly do not do this sort of thing because I lack the courage (and I think with justification). It takes just as much courage and time to come up with what might be a thoughtful and helpful response. It is not easy and will likely take multiple posts to clarify the issues at hand.

What I do see more often than I want is that if JamesR comments on a thread, the thread becomes about him because ridiculing him is thoughtless and easy. I worry that the emotional effort of the OP is likewise ridiculed and rejected, and depending on the OP's state of mind, devastating.

Yes, indeed, certain posters in this forum often fail to address the subject addressed in the opening statement, but delight in ridiculing a targeted set of posters with ad hominems, baits, and taunts with the object of getting those targeted members upset so that these targeted individuals will break the rules and will be warned, put on moderation, or outrightly banned. K was one of these targeted individuals. He left. JamesR, Y, other members and I are also on their hit list. It is a form of bullying, and I might add that there is a current gang headed by one of our members who thrive on this form of bullying. You who are part of this gang of bullies know exactly who you are. Enough said.

If this gang of sarcastic individuals were to be warned, moderated, or muted, then this forum would be more charitable.  

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:34:13 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »

This is just my opinion, but I think the personal ridicule that occurs on this forum is the worst thing that goes on. It's shameful and should not be tolerated. Regardless of how ridiculous we find somebody's opinions, we should never disparage them personally. I've probably been guilty of this myself, and if so then I sincerely apologize.

Selam

True indeed.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »

Sometimes the allegation of bullying is such a ridiculous notion over the internet, it turns into conspiracy theories with people.

And then when the opportunity knocks, let's all collect a few people to blame oc.net for its lax policies.  Who's bullying who?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2014, 11:38:57 PM »

And then when the opportunity knocks, let's all collect a few people to blame oc.net for its lax policies.  Who's bullying who?

Oh just shut up, Mina! 

Tongue

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »

Bully!

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 11:49:47 PM »

But when people act like jerks or make strange comments, you will not always get a sympathetic response.

There are people with active, untreated mental illness on this board.  As long as they follow the forum rules, they may make comments that appear strange - should they be criticized for doing so?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »

Sometimes the allegation of bullying is such a ridiculous notion over the internet, it turns into conspiracy theories with people.

I think we all recognize it when we see it. It's one thing to ridicule ideas, but when it becomes a personal insult or attack then I think that's very sad and inexcusable. Some of us have thick skins and don't let it bother us. But some people are much more sensitive. We can't just tell someone who's struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts to "toughen up." Our personal attacks can send them over the edge. We should at least consider that.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 11:57:38 PM »

But when people act like jerks or make strange comments, you will not always get a sympathetic response.

There are people with active, untreated mental illness on this board.  As long as they follow the forum rules, they may make comments that appear strange - should they be criticized for doing so?

I'm sure Mina was not criticising such people.  What I'm not sure of is whether or not the people who don't quite know what to do with that are being criticised for this limitation. 

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2014, 12:03:28 AM »

I think we all recognize it when we see it. It's one thing to ridicule ideas, but when it becomes a personal insult or attack then I think that's very sad and inexcusable. Some of us have thick skins and don't let it bother us. But some people are much more sensitive. We can't just tell someone who's struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts to "toughen up." Our personal attacks can send them over the edge. We should at least consider that.

Selam

I don't disagree with you.  In fact, it's against the rules to insult someone in the public forum. So this behavior is unacceptable. And when someone expresses suicidal ideations on this site, I take that very seriously.  And I certainly do not belittle those with psychiatric issues.  If I belittle, it is the views expressed.  If that is bullying, then I am sure the forums is not a good place for these people to begin with.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »

I'm sure Mina was not criticising such people.  What I'm not sure of is whether or not the people who don't quite know what to do with that are being criticised for this limitation. 

Did you deliberately make a strange comment?   police

Could you rephrase it for clarity?   Huh
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:57 AM »

I don't disagree with you.  In fact, it's against the rules to insult someone in the public forum. So this behavior is unacceptable. And when someone expresses suicidal ideations on this site, I take that very seriously.  And I certainly do not belittle those with psychiatric issues.  If I belittle, it is the views expressed.  If that is bullying, then I am sure the forums is not a good place for these people to begin with.

I agree with you on that principle; however, you and I can't stop these people from signing up for accounts on the forum and posting if they have the mental ability to do so.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »

I have already shared this information with Liza. The gang in question sends emails back and forth to plan moves to get moderators as well as members to leave.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »

I agree with you on that principle; however, you and I can't stop these people from signing up for accounts on the forum and posting if they have the mental ability to do so.

You and I can't stop these people from doing ANYTHING online.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2014, 12:18:14 AM »

Then there are people with active, treated mental illness on this board. Even with pharmaceuticals and regular appointments with their psychiatrists, they still have psychotic episodes. They need our prayers, not our sarcasm.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:21 AM »

Selam

POM

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:48 AM »

I have already shared this information with Liza. The gang in question sends emails back and forth to plan moves to get moderators as well as members to leave.

I don't even know what to say about this one except, may the Lord have mercy!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »

Selam

I've never seen you bully anyone Mina. You seem to be able to distinguish between ridiculing ideas and ridiculing people. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to do that. As for people with psychiatric issues, I imagine most of them don't disclose that info. So we should err on the side of caution. We will all have to give account for every idle word, much more words that are hateful and arrogant. Lord knows I have a lot to account for.

"Lord have mercy." +++

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:40 AM »

Then there are people with active, treated mental illness on this board. Even with pharmaceuticals and regular appointments with their psychiatrists, they still have psychotic episodes. They need our prayers, not our sarcasm.

Amen Maria.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »

True, but when they are on an Orthodox Christian forum where Christ is ever present, they deserve mercy and respect plus appropriate moderation when boundaries are crossed, etc.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 12:24:30 AM »

Mor, I would not phrase this the same as SolEX01, but this is the issue I was referring to. I am fairly sure Mina was not aware of this particular aspect. My judgement is not perfect and although a public statement was warranted, I should have volunteered a private one as well.

It is a learning experience.

I see there are now 8 new posts, but whatever.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:14 AM »

Selam

I've never seen you bully anyone Mina. You seem to be able to distinguish between ridiculing ideas and ridiculing people. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to do that. As for people with psychiatric issues, I imagine most of them don't disclose that info. So we should err on the side of caution. We will all have to give account for every idle word, much more words that are hateful and arrogant. Lord knows I have a lot to account for.

"Lord have mercy." +++

Selam

I agree. Mina is one of the best moderators on staff.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 12:26:36 AM »

True, but when they are on an Orthodox Christian forum where Christ is ever present, they deserve mercy and respect plus appropriate moderation when boundaries are crossed, etc.

+100000

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2014, 12:32:51 AM »

As Liza said earlier, we're open for suggestions, but as was mentioned earlier, we do try to allow a level of freedom, freedom to joke, to criticize, to be polemical in certain parts of the forum.

To make the best out of a situation, if there is anyone suggestive of a psychiatric issue, please share it with us privately and suggest ways which we can handle the situation.

I think I'm going to take Mor's advice and shut up now.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:33:02 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2014, 12:37:02 AM »

+100000

I agree Maria and this is where they should be: amongst those that love and care about them. They should not be isolated and alone all day long. This world makes little sense to me otherwise.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2014, 12:40:03 AM »

+100000

I agree Maria and this is where they should be: amongst those that love and care about them. They should not be isolated and alone all day long. This world makes little sense to me otherwise.

You know that I care and am praying for you. I think that Wesley is taking a needed break. He does that periodically. May God grant you both many years.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2014, 01:01:27 AM »

You seem to be asking if we should criticise the mentally ill who may post strange comments.  I don't think so, no.  

But if there are people among us who don't understand what they are trying to say and consequently cannot offer constructive comments, I don't think it should be assumed that this is because they don't care and would rather go after easy targets.

I think the latter is happening more than the former, at least in this thread.      

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2014, 01:08:57 AM »

You seem to be asking if we should criticise the mentally ill who may post strange comments.  I don't think so, no.  

But if there are people among us who don't understand what they are trying to say and consequently cannot offer constructive comments, I don't think it should be assumed that this is because they don't care and would rather go after easy targets.

I think the latter is happening more than the former, at least in this thread.      

I agree.  Not every forum member has the shield of righteousness to protect oneself from those seeking easy targets....
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2014, 01:12:58 AM »

This Forum, is in a way a part of this world.  Some days are good, and some days are bad.

There are many positive individuals who wish to communicate with other Orthodox, there are people who merely wish to learn about Orthodoxy, some have questions, some wish to have something explained....all here admittedly do learn something about Orthodoxy.  I know I have.

There are also negative people on the Forum, just like in the world.  There are people who thrive on conflict, can never admit they might be wrong, don't wish to see other's point of view, and are Pharisaical....and tend to bring negativity onto the Forum.

There are people who merely are having a bad day, or are struggling at the moment, don't feel well, have a headache, are in trouble with the boss, or the wife, or both....and come across as angry and intolerant.  They really aren't....they are just having issues and we must be patient with them, and help them.

The Forum is not a negative place, but, we tend to bring negativity onto the Forum.

If anyone finds this Forum to be negative, than I assign you the task of changing that around.

Be nice to everyone, be supportive, kind and understanding.  Don't jump at the bait, don't snap at the wagging finger....just let it go.

Everyone, even Dan, has every right to discuss their feelings on this thread and the entire Forum.  Yes, we know he's had issues, but, there's no need to throw them in his face at every opportunity.  We all make mistakes, we all sin, we fall....we get back up.  Let us encourage each other, not discourage.

If anyone has suggestions on how we can make this Forum "more" positive, feel free to share you suggestions with us.  No guarantees they will be implemented, but, this is a free country, and you can speak your piece - as long as it abides by Forum Rules.  Wink

POM!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2014, 01:17:58 AM »

I think it's time for a cute picture:

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2014, 01:33:49 AM »

Salpy, please stop posting photos of naked animals.  Tongue

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »

I think it's time for a cute picture:

So cute!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2014, 01:57:32 AM »

Is this better?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2014, 02:00:35 AM »

Is this better?

A head covering and everything!  Salpy, you are the best Armenian ever. 

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 05:43:17 AM »

I thought cute puppies were for another thread.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »

Possibly. You told him that it would be good riddance if he left and reminded him of his numerous accounts (reply #15). Not too long ago I was warned for that for being rude/gossipy, and I expressed myself more nuanced than you did.

PtA even said (in greentext):

Fr. George chose to forgive Dan-Romania and reinstate him to this forum. Can you not honor Fr. George's administrative decision by, at the least, forgiving Dan yourself?

So there's that.

Then again, I'm not a mod anymore so I don't have to make those tough decisions.

Do people even read the rules?

Not that I know of.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:33:25 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »

Possibly. You told him that it would be good riddance if he left and reminded him of his numerous accounts (reply #15). Not too long ago I was warned for that for being rude/gossipy, and I expressed myself more nuanced than you did.
You also did that on Faith Issues, where the rules are a lot tighter than they are here on the FFA boards. Mina knows where he's posting and knows that one can get away with a lot more polemic here than on Faith Issues.

PtA even said (in greentext):

Fr. George chose to forgive Dan-Romania and reinstate him to this forum. Can you not honor Fr. George's administrative decision by, at the least, forgiving Dan yourself?

So there's that.
Indeed, there is that. Fr. George did reinstate Dan-Romania with our consent, so it seems unmerciful and coldly unforgiving for us to now call D-R out for things he did before he got banned.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »

I just took the trouble of actually reading the thread from beginning to end. Now, now, we haven't had such a disaster of a thread in a quite a few months.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:20:54 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »

I just took the trouble of actually reading the thread from beginning to end. Now, now, we haven't had such a disaster of a thread in a quite a few months.
True.
converted viking

Faith: EOC
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."  St Seraphim of Sarov
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »

This is what happens when the focus of one's religion becomes the practice of rituals, fasts, ceremonies, correctness of art and music and the like.  It is re-establishing the old Law which brought nothing but death and destruction.  Christ is the opposite of this.  The new rituals that He wishes us to perform are to help those around us, love each other, bring the Word of God to those who do not have it (and it helps if it is in their own language).  These are not negative things, but positives.  Yes, they can bring sadness.  When you get out in the world and start helping people, you see how fallen the world really is, and the pain that mankind suffers as a result.  But this sadness for these people IS the love of God, provided that you follow the commands of Christ and feed those that are hungry, clothe those that are naked, and visit those that are sick and in prison.  It is too bad that we come to an Orthodox forum to read "look at me fast", "should I masturbate", "can I have sex with my wife", "what new rules can I encumber my conscience with", "is it OK to be gay" thread rather than "how can I help".  WPM tried such a thread yesterday.  I had planned on answering it this morning and spent some of the evening looking for some places that he could put his money that would help him follow the will of Christ.  I think that he was asking more than just the obvious, however. Maybe he just should have asked if he should masturbate.  He would have had four pages of answers in 24 hours.

And then come back and complain about how an "Orthodox forum" is.  Or better yet, if you're too annoyed, maybe you should pack your bags too.

Grow up people.  Stop acting like the whole world is crap because of an Orthodox forum, especially when you haven't even been to other religious forums to actually form an objective opinion.

I'm sick and tired of people just acting like they're sick and tired.  If you don't like reading posts here or being here, then leave.  Don't come.  You probably have better things to do, like reading non-religious forums.

Minasoliman

I thought Punch's post was helpful and almost perfect. I do not think yours is in this regard. I am not referring to Dan-Romania, because I have not followed his posts and I think it is wrong to have responses to Dan-Romania rather than WPM, when WPM is the one in immediate need. I am sure Dan-Romania will agree with me and will be willing to be left out of the discussion.  I have kept a watchful eye on WPMs posts when I come across them. I also saw the thread that you refer to soon after he started it. It should slide, I can certainly rationalize it and I could possibly defend it if I had more information. If you have been following WPM's history then we should converse by PM because we have serious differences in opinion.

The impression I got from Punch's post is an encouragement to the "blame the site" game.  It's this type of behavior that I will criticize.  Make of it what you will.

Yes, indeed, certain posters in this forum often fail to address the subject addressed in the opening statement, but delight in ridiculing a targeted set of posters with ad hominems, baits, and taunts with the object of getting those targeted members upset so that these targeted individuals will break the rules and will be warned, put on moderation, or outrightly banned. K was one of these targeted individuals. He left. JamesR, Y, other members and I are also on their hit list. It is a form of bullying, and I might add that there is a current gang headed by one of our members who thrive on this form of bullying. You who are part of this gang of bullies know exactly who you are. Enough said.

If this gang of sarcastic individuals were to be warned, moderated, or muted, then this forum would be more charitable.
Yes, some of our forum's biggest bullies are actually those who cry the most about being bullied. For them, the bully card is an insidious tactic to try to draw public sympathy and sway public opinion in favor of what they believe should be the forum's modus operandi. Some people, whether it be because they always have bees in their bonnets/hornets in their hats, or they're immature, or they're bitter about their past experiences in the Church, love to say things that are not based on any facts at all. They're alarmists and crusaders. They love to build up straw men and conspiracy theories just so they can have fun knocking them down. And when they're called on their BS, they cry, "Stop bullying me!" They criticize others and their points of view to the point of hostility and bullying, yet they can't endure even a fraction of the scrutiny they dole out to others.

I think this video sums up their tactics pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:50:22 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from reporting
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 09:54:02 AM »

That's a pretty generous statement.  Tongue

Minasoliman

Yes, some of our forum's biggest bullies are actually those who cry the most about being bullied. For them, the bully card is an insidious tactic to try to draw public sympathy and sway public opinion in favor of what they believe should be the forum's modus operandi. Some people, whether it be because they always have bees in their bonnets/hornets in their hats, or they're immature, or they're bitter about their past experiences in the Church, love to say things that are not based on any facts at all. They're alarmists and crusaders. They love to build up straw men and conspiracy theories just so they can have fun knocking them down. And when they're called on their BS, they cry, "Stop bullying me!" They criticize others and their points of view to the point of hostility and bullying, yet they can't endure even a fraction of the scrutiny they dole out to others.

I think this video sums up their tactics pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

TRUTH.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:55:03 AM by kelly » Logged

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »

Can we all just have a cyber hug?

We are, in fact, ALL good people. We are all here bound by one important thing, which we all have in common - our love for the Lord, and our desire to get to know Him and serve Him better.

We are all different, because He made us so.  It is part of our assignment to look beyond these differences, to accept the individuals, even if we cannot accept their opinions, and to love each other.  By doing so, we would be more forgiving, which would allow us to not always "have to win" the argument, to "get the last word", but, to perhaps take a step back and even be flexible enough to acknowledge that perhaps, the other person might have a point.

Either way, we are all brothers and sisters, and you know that the most painful and hurtful arguments occur within the family unit - because we love each other, and crave each other's acceptance and reciprocated love.

We need to also take a good look in the mirror, and contemplate the reflection that bounces back to us.  If we notice a festering boil, don't just slather makeup on it and ignore it, because that infection will spread. Instead, wash it out, and let it scab over.

I've noticed that I can get hotheaded when the things I hold near and dear are ridiculed or attacked. I feel I need to run to the aid and defend these concepts, beliefs, people and places.  It's ingrained in me to do this. I would not be true to myself if I didn't defend the things I love.

However, I hope that I can do this in a loving manner, without pontificating or hurting other's feelings.  I'm certain we all feel this way.

We are a great mix of God's creatures. I love how different we are, and yet how similar through our love for Him.

It is our duty to spread that love here on the Forum, and in the world. We must do so not with an attitude "that I know best", that "I am better" than them, for the first shall be last and the last first, and we are called to serve and not be served.

BIG super duper hug to you all.

Let us attempt to forgive, see beyond our differences and love one another.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:10:26 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »

Can we all just have a cyber hug?

We are, in fact, ALL good people. We are all here bound by one important thing, which we all lhave in common - our love for the Lord, and our desire to get to know Him and serve Him better.

We are all different, because He made us so.  It is part of our assignment to look beyond these differences, to accept the individuals, even if we cannot accept their opinions, and to love each other.  By doing so, we would be more forgiving, which would allow us to not always "have to win" the argument, to "get the last word", but, to perhaps take a step back and even be flexible enough to acknowledge that perhaps, the other person might have a point.

Either way, we are all brothers and sisters, and you know that the most painful and hurtful arguments occur within the family unit - because we love each other, and crave each other's acceptance and reciprocated love.

We need to also take a good look in the mirror, and contemplate the reflection that bounces back to us.  If we notice a festering boil, don't just slather makeup on it and ignore it, because that infection will spread. Instead, wash it out, and let it scab over.

I've noticed that I can get hotheaded when the things I hold near and dear are ridiculed or attacked. I feel I need to run to the aid and defend these concepts, beliefs, people and places.  It's ingrained in me to do this. I would not be true to myself if I didn't defend the things I love.

However, I hope that I can do this in a loving manner, without pontificating or hurting other's feelings.  I'm certain we all feel this way.

We are a great mix of God's creatures. I love how different we are, and yet how similar through our love for Him.

It is our duty to spread that love here on the Forum, and in the world. We must do so not with an attitude "that I know best", that "I am better" than them, for the first shall be last and the last first, and we are called to serve and not be served.

BIG super duper hug to you all.

Let us attempt to forgive, see beyond our differences and love one another.

Amen, sister!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
DeniseDenise
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »

I see two different things being discussed here.

a. people with true issues of a serious nature not being taken seriously.

b. other random people with no real issues, upset that their thoughts, ideas etc are not met with cheers.

Two very different things, and I see in the vast majority of cases that a. is handled much differently than b.

The vast majority of posters catch on pretty fast that someone is seriously troubled by their posts, and give them the 'go see a dr, and your priest' advice, since honestly that is -all- a bunch of internet yokels are equipped to do.  Sometimes this same message is repeated day after day for months on end.  That is not disrespectful at all.  None of us should be practicing medicine of any sort, even the brain kind.

b. however is normal folks feeling like the internet people are mean and cruel and horrible. Guess what...'discussions are about ideas, and if your idea, sucks, is against Orthodoxy belief and practice, or just is misguided, expect that more than one person will call you on it.  That doesn't mean they are teaming up, it just means that different people around the world log in at different times...see such a post, and want to add their spin on things. Nature of the Forum based beast that discussions go on longer than they would in person.

Yes, we can all be more Christ-like in all our encounters, no doubt about that, and we should strive to that, but pointing out and discussing things is not bullying.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 11:10:03 AM »

How true this is. And not just on this or any other forum. It's one of the reasons I have little use for all of the anti-bullying programs that are out there. I saw plenty of them during my years of teaching. The biggest bullies are those who know how to pick out the smallest points and play them to their advantage. Anti-bullying programs simply make it easy for the bullies to know what to look for. IMO, it would be far better to teach children (and adults where necessary) to develop a healthy view of themselves and learn to be appropriately assertive towards those who would be bullies.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 11:10:14 AM »

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »

Kitteh hugz!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »

I'm sorry, but that's an ugly frakking cat.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »

That's better.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

That's better.

Ooooh, interracial...nice!

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »

Why must you always bully me?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »

Yes, it looks photo-shopped. Those eyes are not normal. Kitten eyes are usually blue, not deep brown.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
kelly
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »

It might not be a kitten. Some cat breeds stay small.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »

Welcome to the foray!

Since you decided to post, I must alert you that you are one of the targeted individuals by this group of bullies.
I sent Liza the details.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »

All it wants is hugs and you all have to mock the poor thing.  Have you no shame!?!?

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »

I am not smart enough to determine if I am in the group that is the bullies or the group that is being bullied.  In either case, a pox on all your houses!  I like to think of myself as the suave gentlemen sitting on the outside of this microcosm casually throwing jabs at whoever might walk by while being careful not to soil my top hat and coat tails.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »

All it wants is hugs and you all have to mock the poor thing.  Have you no shame!?!?

It looks like the cat from hell.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »

I can't believe people are bullying a cat.  Cry It can't help how it looks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:59:02 AM by kelly » Logged

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »

I am not smart enough to determine if I am in the group that is the bullies or the group that is being bullied.  In either case, a pox on all your houses!  I like to think of myself as the suave gentlemen sitting on the outside of this microcosm casually throwing jabs at whoever might walk by while being careful not to soil my top hat and coat tails.

You most likely have been taken advantage by this group of bullies. If you have received emails from this group of OC.net malcontents, then you are in their group. They communicate only by email to avoid detection as they are paranoid that Father George will read their PMs.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »

FYI, it's a short-haired Peke-faced Persian.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »

Poor cat! If it has been shipped across country in a box, yet it would be quite furious and rightfully so.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
DeniseDenise
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »

You most likely have been taken advantage by this group of bullies. If you have received emails from this group of OC.net malcontents, then you are in their group. They communicate only by email to avoid detection as they are paranoid that Father George will read their PMs.

I am very curious....how are you aware of this group that no one else appears to be aware of?
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »

This is getting ridiculous. What AREN'T you paranoid about?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »

I sent copies of the emails to Liza.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »

They sound super-stealthy. Now I kinda want to join them.  Do I need to know a secret handshake or something? Do I need to buy a ninja outfit?

DeniseDenise
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »

which implies you had them....or someone forwarded such things...

or they dont exist...

whichever of the 3......isn't it policy here to never question Moderator activity or action except by PM?

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »

If you must know, I just Keyser Soze'd all of you. I am the mastermind behind all the anguish and strife on the forum.  This is what I look like on a normal day at work. On Pentecost, I go all green.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »

or they dont exist...

whichever of the 3......isn't it policy here to never question Moderator activity or action except by PM?

People need to know that if they get an email from certain individuals, that this is a concerted campaign to undermine not only the members but also the moderation team. I will say no more. Liza is aware of it. If you have any questions, please contact her by PM or email.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
DeniseDenise
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »

or they dont exist...

People need to know that if they get an email from certain individuals, that this is a concerted campaign to undermine not only the members but also the moderation team. I will say no more. Liza is aware of it. If you have any questions, please contact her by PM or email.

Well Aren't you just the helpful public servant......

either that or a pot stirrer...
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »

I am not smart enough to determine if I am in the group that is the bullies or the group that is being bullied.  In either case, a pox on all your houses!  I like to think of myself as the suave gentlemen sitting on the outside of this microcosm casually throwing jabs at whoever might walk by while being careful not to soil my top hat and coat tails.

or they dont exist...

We are forbidden to publish PMs or emails from individuals without their consent. Again, contact Liza if you have any information.

If these individuals are exposed to the light of day, they will cease their bullying.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:12:15 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
DeniseDenise
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »

or they dont exist...

We are forbidden to publish PMs or emails from individuals without their consent. Again, contact Liza if you have any information.

laughs....so you follow THAT rule...but not the Moderator action in posts rule.

Nice.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »

or they dont exist...

laughs....so you follow THAT rule...but not the Moderator action in posts rule.

Nice.

You are not a moderator, at least, not yet. Praise the Lord.

And I have not seen any green mod text in this thread.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »

Locked until further review.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: