OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 02:17:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "New Asceticism"  (Read 350 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:20 AM »

Here's a short video on the "New Asceticism" (what is this, even?) by Catholic Fr. Steve Grunow.

Is he saying traditional (e.g. Byzantine) asceticism isn't really Christian? I also noticed his seeming dismissal of Plato and his affirmation of Aristotelian anthropology.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:03:53 AM by Nephi » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »

Interesting. I had never heard of the "New Asceticism" prior to this video. I agree with the priests view of the human person, and I join him in rejecting Platonic anthropology. However, I am always a bit wary of any approach that treats traditional spiritual practices as mistaken. I would have to learn more about where this priest is coming from.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »

I would further add that it is my understanding that the reason that traditional ascetic practices were so harsh was not that Christians held a dualist view. Rather, it was because these Christians believed that passions were quite out of whack since the fall and required serious discipline.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:18:29 PM »

This whole Platonism trope has gotten very old. Do people even realize that late Platonists like Proclus rejected the doctrine that matter is evil? It is possible to have a Platonic sense of unity, participation, and distinction, without having as a logical consequence the notion that matter is evil. Indeed, for the fathers, it is not that matter is evil, but rather that after the fall, the necessities our material being have a tendency to incline the faculties of our souls towards evil (what we call passions), and because of this, in order to free ourselves of evil, we must strive by asceticism to free ourselves from our attachments to the material world (and especially the attachment to pleasure), which is at the very root of our enslavement to the passions.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »

Misapprehending Plato is an important foundation for most modern and contemporary thought.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »

Can't say much on Platonism but I agree we should avoid dualism.

Thank you.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »

If you want to change paths to sainthood as described by saints, you'd better make at least a bona fide miracle to show you know the path you are suggesting from begining to end; certainly making a video to substitute for that is not enough.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »

Here's a short video on the "New Asceticism" (what is this, even?) by Catholic Fr. Steve Grunow.

Is he saying traditional (e.g. Byzantine) asceticism isn't really Christian? I also noticed his seeming dismissal of Plato and his affirmation of Aristotelian anthropology.

I don't think "traditional asceticism" is really on his radar screen.  It seems like he's trying to equate asceticism with going to the gym.

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: