OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:57:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signs of the Cross before and after Chalcedon  (Read 554 times) Average Rating: 0
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« on: June 19, 2014, 04:08:55 PM »

I've seen it claimed, both times in polemical works claiming that the non-Chalcedonian churches are Monophysite, that people of said churches cross themselves with only one finger to signify the one nature of God the Word incarnate. However, I'm pretty sure they cross themselves with three fingers like Chalcedonians do, only left-to-right rather than right-to-left. Was there ever a time where they crossed themselves with one finger?
Now that I think about it, the three-finger cross is a new thing for Chalcedonians as well, since the old way was with two. But that sounds like a post-Chalcedonian development, since the two fingers signify the two natures of Christ. So how did Christians cross themselves before Chalcedon, and how did non-Chalcedonians cross themselves after?

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure they cross themselves with three fingers like Chalcedonians do, only left-to-right rather than right-to-left.

You are right about Non-Chacedonians(aka Oriental Orthodox) crossing from left to right. But not all Chalcedonians cross from right to left. Only the "Byzantine" Chalcedonians (aka Eastern Orthodox) cross themselves right to left. The "Latin" Chalcedonians (aka Roman Catholic) cross from the left to right.  Also it might be interesting for you to know that the Nestorian Church of the East cross themselves right to left.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:57:07 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure they cross themselves with three fingers like Chalcedonians do, only left-to-right rather than right-to-left.

You are right about Non-Chacedonians(aka Oriental Orthodox) crossing from left to right. But not all Chalcedonians cross from right to left. Only the "Byzantine" Chalcedonians (aka Eastern Orthodox) cross themselves right to left. The "Latin" Chalcedonians (aka Roman Catholic) cross from the left to right.  Also it might be interesting for you to know that the Nestorian Church of the East cross themselves right to left.
That's true; I was speaking primarily of those two churches which claim the title "Orthodox". I'm aware that the Assyrians cross themselves the same way as the Eastern Orthodox do (I'd be also interested to learn where they picked it up). As for the Roman Catholics, they actually crossed themselves the same way as the Eastern Orthodox until around the time of the Council of Trent in the late 1500s, so I'm not concerned with their example.

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »

I've seen it claimed, both times in polemical works claiming that the non-Chalcedonian churches are Monophysite, that people of said churches cross themselves with only one finger to signify the one nature of God the Word incarnate. However, I'm pretty sure they cross themselves with three fingers like Chalcedonians do, only left-to-right rather than right-to-left. Was there ever a time where they crossed themselves with one finger?
Now that I think about it, the three-finger cross is a new thing for Chalcedonians as well, since the old way was with two. But that sounds like a post-Chalcedonian development, since the two fingers signify the two natures of Christ. So how did Christians cross themselves before Chalcedon, and how did non-Chalcedonians cross themselves after?

How Oriental Orthodox cross themselves varies from tradition to tradition. In Ethiopia/Eritrea you are generally supposed to make a cross with your fingers - I've most often seen people curve their last three fingers with the pointer finger and thumb relatively straight up, with the pointer crossing the curved last fingers to make a cross. (There's a ton of variation though.) I don't know about the other traditions - I've only rarely had the opportunity to visit their churches, and I was more taken with the services themselves than with how people were making their crosses.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags: sign of the Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: