Author Topic: The Fellowship of Ss Alban and Sergius  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Michael

The Fellowship of Ss Alban and Sergius
« on: April 18, 2005, 06:47:45 PM »
Does anybody know anything about this group?  Are there any members here?

I came across them some time ago, but although I am supportive of their aims and the work that they do, I am not entirely convinced that it is worth my effort joining.  I posted to my blog about them a couple of weeks ago and got some responses there, but I thought I'd throw the question up in their here as well.  Here is my blog entry.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
Re: The Fellowship of Ss Alban and Sergius
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 11:38:54 PM »
I've read a little about them back when I was an Episcopalian (ECUSA). Lev Gillette, the Orthodox writer was a founding member. I'm not sure they can do any serious work given the radical changes in the Anglican Communion. Any chance of communion between Anglicans & Orthodoxy went out the window with the ordination of women in the 1970's.

Some other trends that would probably throw a wrench in the works are the movement towards lay presidency at the Eucharist (in Australia) the number of American Episcopal priests who participate in pro-abortion activities, the blessings of sam e-sex unions in many American and Canadian parishes, the metamorphisis of 'open Communion" (1970's-"any baptised Christian who truly wishes to receive the Body and Blood of Christ" 1980's-"any baptised Christian" 2000's-many parish websites happily invite anyone, baptised or not to receive) the inclusion of non-Christian religious leaders in ECUSA ceremonies.

Gee, I just realized, many of these things helped me decide to become Orthodox!

Proverbs 22:7

Offline Veniamin

• Fire for Effect!
  • Archon
  • St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 11:54:08 PM »
I've read a little about them back when I was an Episcopalian (ECUSA). Lev Gillette, the Orthodox writer was a founding member. I'm not sure they can do any serious work given the radical changes in the Anglican Communion. Any chance of communion between Anglicans & Orthodoxy went out the window with the ordination of women in the 1970's.

Is the Fellowship a venture between Orthodoxy and the official churches of the Anglican Communion or with Anglicanism as a confession?  If it's with Anglicanism as a whole, I suspect that there are some sizable portions of the Continuum, particularly those who participated in the Affirmation of St. Louis, with whom dialogue might be productive (as well as seeing many more en masse conversions to the Western Rite).
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great

Offline Michael

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 02:47:33 AM »
I hadn't thought much about the Continuum with regard to this society, but you have certainly given me some food for thought,

I realise that my link above doesn't work.  I am not sure why as it did last evening.  Here it is again:

http://sarisburium.blogspot.com/2005/04/fellowship-of-ss-alban-and-sergius.html