Author Topic: grant me to greet the coming day in peace  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Philokalia

• Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat
  • Hail Mary Full of Grace
    • Catholic Scot
grant me to greet the coming day in peace
« on: April 18, 2005, 04:58:36 PM »
I very much like the prayer-

"O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace, help me in all things to rely upon Your holy will.   In every hour of the day reveal Your will to me.Bless my dealings with all who surround me.   Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul and with firm conviction that Your will governs all.    In all my words and deeds, guide my thoughts and feelings.  In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by You.  Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrasssing others.  Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring.   Direct my will, teach me to pray. And, Yourself, pray in me.   Amen."

Which I think is by Metropolitan Philaret. Is this widely used today by Orthodox believers?
Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.

Offline choirfiend

• ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
  • High Elder
  • Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not
Re: grant me to greet the coming day in peace
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 05:20:26 PM »
I think it's growing. I have heard it before and I found it included in a few sets of "morning prayers." It is by  Met. Philaret.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:31:37 PM by choirfiend »
Qui cantat, bis orat

Offline MsGuided

• Pharmakolytria
  • Elder
  • St. Anastasia
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 06:13:49 PM »
I have a weekly planner written up by the GOA that has that prayer as a part of a short discipline of morning prayers.  I've grown fond of it myself.
"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius

Offline choirfiend

• ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
  • High Elder
  • Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 06:24:44 PM »
I have one of those too :) We got them for free (yay!) at the Christmas Conference
Qui cantat, bis orat

Offline Sabbas

• Drink from your own wells
  • High Elder
  • St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 10:17:13 PM »
I think this is the full prayer of St.Philaret of Moscow http://www.stvladimirs.ca/library/morning-prayer-philaret-moscow.html
I have not used it as it is not in the Jordanville Prayerbook I have. I usually just use those prayers and a morning prayer attributed to the Optina monastery which is very similar to the prayer you listed though I do not think they are the same. I sometimes say St.Patrick's Lorica in addition to this.
www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.