Author Topic: Do you really want ecumenism with the RC church?  (Read 11915 times)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Do you really want ecumenism with the RC church?
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
Here's another story of a man burned alive for not giving divine honor to some type of Roman idol.   This argument can also stem into iconography as the RC's use statues and idols the same way to "beam up" veneration.

BEGIN:
SIMON THE SHOPKEEPER, A. D. 1553

About the year 1553 there was at Bergen op Zoom, in Brabant, a shopkeeper, named Simon, who stood in the marketplace, to sell his wares. When the priests passed him with their idol, this Simon did not dare give divine honor to this idol made by human hands (Dan. 3:18), but, according to the testimony of God presented in the holy Scriptures, would worship and serve only the Lord his God. He was therefore apprehended by the maintainers of the Roman antichrist, and examined in the faith, which he freely confessed, rejecting their self-invented infant baptism together with all human commandments, and holding fast only to the testimony of the Word of God; hence he was sentenced to death by the enemies of thetruth, and was thus led without the city, and burnt for the testimony of Jesus. Many of the people present were therefore greatly astonished when they beheld the great boldness and steadfastness of this pious witness of God, who thus through grace obtained the crown of eternal life.

The bailiff who had him executed, on returning home from this deed, was laid upon a bed of severe sickness, and constantly exclaimed with sorrow and remorse, "O Simon, Simon!" and although the priests and monks sought to absolve him, they were nevertheless not able to give him the least comfort, but he soon died in despair, an instructive and memorable example to all tyrants and persecutors. II Macc. 9:9, 28; Acts 12:23.
END:

When EO Patriarch Bartholomew and the Pope of Rome dialog and try to bridge the gap of the schism, if ever successful in union of communions, the EO communion will have this history within it.

Oh by the way, above - look a so called "protestant" quoting Maccabees!   How Luther of him!  ???
Please cite the source of this material. Yes, this is a formal moderator request.  -PtA
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »
The point is that the RC church is not a true church.  Any church that would drown a 13 year old Girl's family in front of her, then ask her to give up her biblical beliefs (staying true to scripture) by venerating a statue of Mary or else they'd drown her too is not a Christian church.

I believe when Christ said "love your enemies" he probably meant not to kill them..... Oddly, they weren't the RC church enemies either, they just didn't think like them.

I guess you don't sin?  

Sure I sin.  I sin plenty.

I edited out the unimportant parts of your response.  Since you, by your own admission, "sin plenty", Anabaptistognostodoxy or whatever it is you follow is obviously disqualified as "a church".  

Why not edit it out...  Many things seem edited out by the EO - including following Christ's commands.

My faith is actually very close to the Waldenses faith, but most would not know what that is because Rome slaughtered them.  They were Sabbath keeping Christians who kept many of the ante-nicene teachings and the scriptures.    They absorbed later into the Anabaptists because so few were left.
And so we arrive at North American Protestant mythology.

Well the history books don't think so.  Interestingly though, when you read history, you'll see a lot of Roman paganism in other religions.
No, actually. The history books would say that Waldensianism originated nearly a millennium after Nicaea in France. That doesn't stop American Protestants such as yourself from appropriating them as a small, persecuted remnant of true Christianity through history that you can use as a bulwark of legitimacy. It is, however, patently false.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:31:37 PM by Antonis »
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2014, 01:31:57 PM »
You edited out my complete post.  It is NOT the standard for church.  People sin.  Never say they didn't.   I spoke of the RC church body.  It was a long duration of persecution where murder was permitted.

However I can say this, I don't see where the Waldenses CHURCH came together and murdered people in the name of Jesus Christ.

Sinless people - never (save Christ).     It's not my standard.

I think it's odd that you compare my personal sin next to the RC church body.    

If you killed somebody, does that mean all EO Christians killed somebody?  No.  Does it speak for the church?  No.

But the RC church DID sanction the death, murder, and torture of men, women, and children for centuries.  This was a GROUP of many people for a long time.  Personal sin is different than a church body.  

This is nothing but your anti-Catholic bias fueled by the "North American Protestant mythology" someone else mentioned here.  

When you are introducing "sin" as a meaningful category, why shouldn't I compare your sins next to those of Catholics?  Are they any less sinful?  Both are violations of God's law.  And while you seem to think sin negates "churchness", apostolic succession, absolutely prevents sanctity by impeding the grace of God, etc., you are quick to absolve yourself and those you prefer.  You speak ill of the dead who cannot respond in their own defence (don't worry, God will speak for them), you blame women for your own lusts and spiritual adultery which you conduct with them in your heart, you judge with false judgement, you willfully misinterpret Scripture, etc., and yet you are OK and others are evil.  

No, YiM.  No.    

Okay then by your standard, I've killed thousands of men, women, and children.  I tortured little children in front of their parents, stock red hot irons in the anuses of men and women, impaled, racked, hung, burned, quartered, put people on the breaking wheel, etc.  I must be a monster.  I've also done this for hundreds of years, with thousands of myself approving.  We've got to be real.

I've violated God's law many times as we have all.  But even though we disagree a lot Mor, I'd trust my children next to you infinitely more than the RC church at that time.  I doubt you'd drown my daughter and burn my sons alive - even if they would refuse to become EO.  It's because it takes monsters to do such things.  It takes those who love evil to do such things.

We can forgive the executioners.  We do not have to forgive an institution.

The Roman Catholic church is in violation of God's law and their "own" Canon.  I'm not bearing any grudge on a person, but rather an institution.  The institution condoned these murders as a whole.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
The point is that the RC church is not a true church.  Any church that would drown a 13 year old Girl's family in front of her, then ask her to give up her biblical beliefs (staying true to scripture) by venerating a statue of Mary or else they'd drown her too is not a Christian church.

I believe when Christ said "love your enemies" he probably meant not to kill them..... Oddly, they weren't the RC church enemies either, they just didn't think like them.

I guess you don't sin?  

I edited out the unimportant parts of your response.  Since you, by your own admission, "sin plenty", Anabaptistognostodoxy or whatever it is you follow is obviously disqualified as "a church".  

Why not edit it out...  Many things seem edited out by the EO - including following Christ's commands.

My faith is actually very close to the Waldenses faith, but most would not know what that is because Rome slaughtered them.  They were Sabbath keeping Christians who kept many of the ante-nicene teachings and the scriptures.    They absorbed later into the Anabaptists because so few were left.

Well the history books don't think so.  Interestingly though, when you read history, you'll see a lot of Roman paganism in other religions.
No, actually. The history books would say that Waldensianism originated nearly a millennium after Nicaea in France. That doesn't stop American Protestants such as yourself from appropriating them as a small, persecuted remnant of true Christianity through history that you can use as a bulwark of legitimacy. It is, however, patently false.
Protestants follow sola scriptura as Luther did.  I continually quote early Christians.

You need to read more detailed history books btw.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »

I guess you don't sin?  

Protestants follow sola scriptura as Luther did.  I continually quote early Christians.

I guess I'll just take that as a non-response, then.
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
Here's another story of a man burned alive for not giving divine honor to some type of Roman idol.   This argument can also stem into iconography as the RC's use statues and idols the same way to "beam up" veneration.

BEGIN:
SIMON THE SHOPKEEPER, A. D. 1553

About the year 1553 there was at Bergen op Zoom, in Brabant, a shopkeeper, named Simon, who stood in the marketplace, to sell his wares. When the priests passed him with their idol, this Simon did not dare give divine honor to this idol made by human hands (Dan. 3:18), but, according to the testimony of God presented in the holy Scriptures, would worship and serve only the Lord his God. He was therefore apprehended by the maintainers of the Roman antichrist, and examined in the faith, which he freely confessed, rejecting their self-invented infant baptism together with all human commandments, and holding fast only to the testimony of the Word of God; hence he was sentenced to death by the enemies of thetruth, and was thus led without the city, and burnt for the testimony of Jesus. Many of the people present were therefore greatly astonished when they beheld the great boldness and steadfastness of this pious witness of God, who thus through grace obtained the crown of eternal life.

The bailiff who had him executed, on returning home from this deed, was laid upon a bed of severe sickness, and constantly exclaimed with sorrow and remorse, "O Simon, Simon!" and although the priests and monks sought to absolve him, they were nevertheless not able to give him the least comfort, but he soon died in despair, an instructive and memorable example to all tyrants and persecutors. II Macc. 9:9, 28; Acts 12:23.
END:

When EO Patriarch Bartholomew and the Pope of Rome dialog and try to bridge the gap of the schism, if ever successful in union of communions, the EO communion will have this history within it.

Oh by the way, above - look a so called "protestant" quoting Maccabees!   How Luther of him!  ???
Please cite the source of this material. Yes, this is a formal moderator request.  -PtA
http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/martyrs074.htm

It's at the bottom of the page.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »
"And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (First apology of Justin, Weekly Worship of the Christians, Ch 68)

St. Justin Martyr states in 150 AD that worship is done on Sunday. How do you explain that?
God bless!

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »

I guess you don't sin?  

I guess I'll just take that as a non-response, then.

Why, I'm just saying I'm not a protestant.  Protestants follow sola scriptura.  I posted a link above citing a so called "protestant source" that quotes macc.  

I know and understand, most EO Christians believe there is RC, EO, and the rest are protestants.  This is not true however.   Not everything came from these churches.  If you believe this, you need to read writings of EO saints.   In fact, I recently made a post on the Nazarenes, which Paul was and agreed he followed "the entire law", as the Nazarenes.

Gotta run folks for now.  God Bless!

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »
"And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (First apology of Justin, Weekly Worship of the Christians, Ch 68)

St. Justin Martyr states in 150 AD that worship is done on Sunday. How do you explain that?

Real quick but gotta run-
I believe it was forged as it was stuck at the end of his work -
http://thesourcehh.com/pdf/Contributors%20Documents/William%20Shea/Justin_Martyr_forgery.pdf

God Bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Okay then by your standard, I've killed thousands of men, women, and children.  I tortured little children in front of their parents, stock red hot irons in the anuses of men and women, impaled, racked, hung, burned, quartered, put people on the breaking wheel, etc.  I must be a monster.  I've also done this for hundreds of years, with thousands of myself approving.  We've got to be real.

My standard is simply what comes from your keyboard and comparing it with Scripture.  You point out the sins of the RCC (assuming it was actually the sins of the institution and not of individuals within), but you have sins of your own.  Both are violations of God's law, and as far as I can tell, God never said he likes some sins but not others.  If sin can discredit the RCC, sin can equally discredit you.  That's called keeping it real.    

I've violated God's law many times as we have all.  But even though we disagree a lot Mor, I'd trust my children next to you infinitely more than the RC church at that time.  I doubt you'd drown my daughter and burn my sons alive - even if they would refuse to become EO.  It's because it takes monsters to do such things.  It takes those who love evil to do such things.

Your children would love me.  Everyone's children love me.  :)

Where is that in Scripture?  I am unable to locate limitations on forgiveness in Scripture.  The Jewish priesthood and Caesar's army were busy killing Jesus while he was praying for their forgiveness.  Are you too good to imitate his example?  

The Roman Catholic church is in violation of God's law and their "own" Canon.  I'm not bearing any grudge on a person, but rather an institution.  The institution condoned these murders as a whole.

And you are also in violation of God's law and your own "canon".  
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2014, 01:55:43 PM »
they unfortunately (for the most part) kept Constantine's SUNday and think its the Sabbath.

Come on, Yesh, peddle whatever you like but please stop with this nonsense about St. Constantine and the Sabbath.

I'm sorry, I just don't see where the nonsense is.

1) Constantine worshiped the sun God Sol-Invictus
2) Constantine had him on his coin
3) Constantine built his arch, dedicated to the Sun God http://www.colgate.edu/portaldata/imagegallerywww/fab2bcd8-33c3-4d30-a266-ead051c8383b/ImageGallery/FramingtheSun.pdf
4) Constantine kept the sun god on his coin post Nicea
5) Constantine changed the Sabbath rest to SUNday, which he called venerable http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/history/3_ch03.htm

You can't change God's law.  Even Paul cited he kept the law.   Constantine changed the day of rest to SUNday.  I don't know what else to say.  You can grunt and cast the info off, but it's a reality.
The only thing you're missing is that Christians have been celebrating the Resurrection every Sunday since at least the time of St. Paul, as St. Luke records (Acts 20:7). Your charge is also ridiculous on the count that most non-Germanic languages refer to the first day of the week as The Lord's Day, NOT as Sunday.

Read the post above.  Acts 20:7 was the feast of Unleavened bread, after passover.  The Last Supper = Passover - death - 3 days -  resurrection - greeted on the first day.  Learn the feast of Passover/unleavened bread.

Even the EO church calls it Pascha. (passover).   Constantine moved this to Sunday too btw, when passover is Nisan 14.  He did it "the SUNday after passover".
Actually, no. It was the Council of Nicea that mandated that Pascha was to be celebrated only on the first day of the week, and this only because most of the Church had already been celebrating Pascha on the first day of the week for a couple of centuries. Again, considering that even today most non-Germanic languages refer to Saturday as the Sabbath and to Sunday as the Lord's Day, I find your heavily Anglicized charges ludicrous.

These were established feasts by the "Father" for all time in Leviticus 23.  He told us exactly how to calculate them, Constantine didn't like this.
Except that the only role Constantine played in this was that he convoked the councils and he enforced their decrees. I'm not aware that he made any far-reaching decrees on faith or praxis all by himself.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
The Anabaptists are close to what I read in the writings of early Christians. (and I can back it up)

The early Christians didn't use cars or watch TV either. But that's pretty much where the similarities stop.

despite the evident forgery of Justin Martyr's writings

Apparently you know more than the patristic scholars.

As you stated "It is a bad history and bad theology, even if they are nice people".
Christ said "you will know them by their fruit".  (and it's not completely perfect)

But in general I've witnessed LARGE wholesome families, with a lot of children that are well mannered and behaved - who fear God, and know biblical values.  I'm generalizing, and certainly there are examples otherwise.

So do certain Muslim groups.

Actually you are very wrong on this.

They have many other similarities.

Many of them flee luxuries, such as Polycarp talked about.... Unlike EO bishops.
They flee gold, silver, pearls, and fancy stuff (including luxuries above) like early Christians.... Unlike many EO bishops and laymen.
They practice non-resistance, as did the early Christians.... Unlike EO did to the Old Believers
They dress modestly (oh boy that thread) much like the early guys wrote about.... Varies in EO
They continually reference quotes from Jesus Christ in the scriptures much like the anti-nicenes...
They don't praise Mary continually like the anti-nicenes, which the EO do continually & all the time.
All brethren (including bishops) wash all feet, even of the laymen, which is not a common practice in the EO church (and instructed by Christ).

Oh buddy, trust me, if we compare the Anabaptists to the earliest Christians next to the EO church, your head will spin and I'll bet you all I'll get is bitterness because my points will be valid.
How about one from John 6 that is critical?

So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him."

Do they follow the early Christians in the belief of partaking of the LITERAL Body and Blood of Christ?

The apostles did not eat it according to the scriptures.  Christ symbolically used the broken bread to represent his body and the wine his blood.  Otherwise he would have cleaved off his flesh and drained his physical blood into the dish.   This argument would spin into a huge thread.  Again I'd reference many ante-nicene sources.
Instead of boasting of all these sources you claim the ability to reference, why don't you quote them here? Otherwise, your boasting is nothing but empty hot air.

Don't have time today brother.  But for homework, look up when the word "transubstantiation" was first used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation
Sorry, buddy, not doing your homework for you.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
You edited out my complete post.  It is NOT the standard for church.  People sin.  Never say they didn't.   I spoke of the RC church body.  It was a long duration of persecution where murder was permitted.

However I can say this, I don't see where the Waldenses CHURCH came together and murdered people in the name of Jesus Christ.

Sinless people - never (save Christ).     It's not my standard.

I think it's odd that you compare my personal sin next to the RC church body.    

If you killed somebody, does that mean all EO Christians killed somebody?  No.  Does it speak for the church?  No.

But the RC church DID sanction the death, murder, and torture of men, women, and children for centuries.  This was a GROUP of many people for a long time.  Personal sin is different than a church body.  

This is nothing but your anti-Catholic bias fueled by the "North American Protestant mythology" someone else mentioned here.  

When you are introducing "sin" as a meaningful category, why shouldn't I compare your sins next to those of Catholics?  Are they any less sinful?  Both are violations of God's law.  And while you seem to think sin negates "churchness", apostolic succession, absolutely prevents sanctity by impeding the grace of God, etc., you are quick to absolve yourself and those you prefer.  You speak ill of the dead who cannot respond in their own defence (don't worry, God will speak for them), you blame women for your own lusts and spiritual adultery which you conduct with them in your heart, you judge with false judgement, you willfully misinterpret Scripture, etc., and yet you are OK and others are evil.  

No, YiM.  No.    

The Roman Catholic church is in violation of God's law and their "own" Canon.  I'm not bearing any grudge on a person, but rather an institution.
IOW, you're bearing a grudge. It doesn't matter against whom.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2014, 02:00:57 PM »

I believe it was forged as it was stuck at the end of his work -
http://thesourcehh.com/pdf/Contributors%20Documents/William%20Shea/Justin_Martyr_forgery.pdf

God Bless!
I believe the whole resurrection story was forged too.  Every gospel has it stuck at the end.  Very Suspicious.  ::)
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »

Yup. Hit and run. That's all this really is. Hit and run.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »

bigger shame is all the uninsured commenting  :laugh:
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Didyma

• Elder
  • St. Lawrence of Canterbury, pray for us!
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
As I said before, we don't believe the Roman Catholic Church is the Church, with or without this institutionalized torture allegation, so in order for her to join with us again, she would have to become Orthodox.  So, I don't see your problem.  Is it the E.P. negotiating with Pope Francis?  What's wrong with that?

Also, where the Catholics at?  I think we'd like your input on this torture thing.
.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »
they unfortunately (for the most part) kept Constantine's SUNday and think its the Sabbath.

Come on, Yesh, peddle whatever you like but please stop with this nonsense about St. Constantine and the Sabbath.

3) Constantine built his arch, dedicated to the Sun God http://www.colgate.edu/portaldata/imagegallerywww/fab2bcd8-33c3-4d30-a266-ead051c8383b/ImageGallery/FramingtheSun.pdf
5) Constantine changed the Sabbath rest to SUNday, which he called venerable http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/history/3_ch03.htm

You can't change God's law.  Even Paul cited he kept the law.   Constantine changed the day of rest to SUNday.  I don't know what else to say.  You can grunt and cast the info off, but it's a reality.

All that Sol-Invictus Sun God stuff was before Constantine's baptism, right? Is not baptism for the remission of sins?

As to Constantine's decree on Sunday rest, I'll assume you mean this one:

All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun. Country people, however, may freely attend to the cultivation of the fields, because it frequently happens that no other days are better adapted for planting the grain in the furrows or the vines in trenches. So that the advantage given by heavenly providence may not for the occasion of a short time perish.

As I have noted in the past, this says nothing about the Sabbath nor Christianity and the only connection between this decree and the Church was the fact that its issuer was a Christian sympathizer. All he did here was mandate an Empire-wide day of rest without recourse to any specific religion and he certainly didn't move the Sabbath to Sunday.

I'll repeat a question I asked you in the past but for which I got no reply: had any other emperor prior to Constantine issued this very same decree, could he have been accused of having changed the Sabbath day as well?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:58:40 PM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
All that Sol-Invictus Sun God stuff was before Constantine's baptism, right? Is not baptism for the remission of sins?

According to Scripture, baptism is for the remission of sins except in the case of Emperor Constantine.  The earliest manuscripts of Romans contain the italicised words (in Greek, of course), but they were removed by Emperor Constantine so that the path could be cleared for his eventual glorification and to remove the ambiguity caused by a Pauline epistle doubling as a prophetic book.   
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

According to Scripture, baptism is for the remission of sins except in the case of Emperor Constantine.  The earliest manuscripts of Romans contain the italicised words (in Greek, of course), but they were removed by Emperor Constantine so that the path could be cleared for his eventual glorification and to remove the ambiguity caused by a Pauline epistle doubling as a prophetic book.   

I saw the mention of St. Constantine, and despite having forgotten who started this thread, I still immediately knew who Hawkeye was replying to.

Sigh.

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Maybe we should start (once they come back to Orthodoxy) by having all the patriarchs vote for and elect their new patriarch and continue that for a few years till we make sure that they don't put another all powerful infallible man in place. That's a legitimate idea in my eyes. A part of me doesn't want communion with them due to thoughts of the inquisition, but that's a little un-Christian right? Its wrong to hold your catholic neighbor Bob accountable for the murders and tortures committed by men he probably doesn't even know about. The other part(probably the smarter part) says "ARE YOU KIDDING? WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT PEOPLE IN THE BODY OF CHRIST???!!!!!?!?!!?!" That side makes more sense. How would you not want millions of believers in Christ to be able to praise him perfectly, conduct his sacraments correctly, follow his teachings and those of the fathers of the Church that hasn't changed? Its the most simple thing. If someone were list every living person's name, and ask you if you wanted them to be orthodox, your answer should be yes EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I can think of a number of good reasons to not rush into resuming communion with the RC church today, but what they did to the Anabaptists 350 years ago is not one of those reasons.

So do you believe they still have apostolic succession even with the blood of Christians on their hands?  Men, women, and children's blood at that.

You remember Yeshua and his instructions to do as those on the seat of Moses say but not as they do right? 

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »
I see Yesh still doesn't seem to grasp the idea that when one repents, all the past sins- no matter how bad, even murder- are wiped away. St. Constantine repented and accepted baptism, even if it was when he was close to death. So, it doesn't matter what he did before that.

God can forgive even the worst of sinners.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
The Anabaptists are close to what I read in the writings of early Christians. (and I can back it up)

The early Christians didn't use cars or watch TV either. But that's pretty much where the similarities stop.

As you stated "It is a bad history and bad theology, even if they are nice people".
Christ said "you will know them by their fruit".  (and it's not completely perfect)

But in general I've witnessed LARGE wholesome families, with a lot of children that are well mannered and behaved - who fear God, and know biblical values.  I'm generalizing, and certainly there are examples otherwise.

Many of them flee luxuries, such as Polycarp talked about.... Unlike EO bishops.
They flee gold, silver, pearls, and fancy stuff (including luxuries above) like early Christians.... Unlike many EO bishops and laymen.
They practice non-resistance, as did the early Christians.... Unlike EO did to the Old Believers
They dress modestly (oh boy that thread) much like the early guys wrote about.... Varies in EO
They continually reference quotes from Jesus Christ in the scriptures much like the anti-nicenes...
They don't praise Mary continually like the anti-nicenes, which the EO do continually & all the time.
All brethren (including bishops) wash all feet, even of the laymen, which is not a common practice in the EO church (and instructed by Christ).

Oh buddy, trust me, if we compare the Anabaptists to the earliest Christians next to the EO church, your head will spin and I'll bet you all I'll get is bitterness because my points will be valid.

Its quite sad when we have to look at Anabaptists as role models for Christians. Them being only 500 years old and acting more Christ-like then those members of Churches founded by the apostles themselves. 

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
the anti-nicenes...
the anti-nicenes

Why are you following Arians?

(Just kidding, but I couldn't resist ;D )

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »

Christ said "you will know them by their fruit".  (and it's not completely perfect)

But in general I've witnessed LARGE wholesome families, with a lot of children that are well mannered and behaved - who fear God, and know biblical values.  I'm generalizing, and certainly there are examples otherwise.

Its quite sad when we have to look at Anabaptists as role models for Christians. Them being only 500 years old and acting more Christ-like then those members of Churches founded by the apostles themselves. 

The Anabaptists were a lot of things (and were to become a lot more), but they weren't so different from average Christendom. They used holy men from the collective European memory, is all, including religious orders, as examples how to live ascetic and pious lives. In this regard, they were nothing more than peasants and artisans determined to maintain those humble roles (in a world that was modernizing and hounding men off the land into the slums and armies) and to add to them obvious ascetic piety and peacefulness. And actually it all made sense to European Christians of the time, as in fact Anabaptists were of huge influence, for a while.

Where things get squiggly, then, is of course church-related. But it's important first to be conscious of one thing: The Anabaptists were convinced the world was ending. Europe and the old ways and the Roman church were all undergoing unspeakable upheaval and violence. The first Anabaptists simply took it for granted that this life was over, including to all practical intents, the church. As such, they worshiped and practiced the sacraments underground and ad hoc. Think of it as oikonomía on steroids.

Now it's true that soon enough someone like Menno Simon(sen) would come along and systematize things and try to reach an understanding with the Reformed church. At that point I begin to lose interest in Anabaptism. At that point they erect themselves a true competitor to the church while also sliding dully into Protestantism. But I think too many comments in this thread have been said against them from ignorance and pure lack of sympathy.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »

My standard is simply what comes from your keyboard and comparing it with Scripture.  You point out the sins of the RCC (assuming it was actually the sins of the institution and not of individuals within), but you have sins of your own.  Both are violations of God's law, and as far as I can tell, God never said he likes some sins but not others.  If sin can discredit the RCC, sin can equally discredit you.  That's called keeping it real.    

Your children would love me.  Everyone's children love me.  :)

Where is that in Scripture?  I am unable to locate limitations on forgiveness in Scripture.  The Jewish priesthood and Caesar's army were busy killing Jesus while he was praying for their forgiveness.  Are you too good to imitate his example?  

And you are also in violation of God's law and your own "canon".  

Jesus prayed for "them" the people. 

I am a person who sins who needs forgiveness.
The RCC is not a person.     It is an "institution" they believe is a church.   Nonetheless, there is no person named "Roman Catholic Church".

An analogy - We can forgive Hitler, Goebbels, and Hess.   They are people.   But we can think the Nazi party was evil as an institution.   But the individuals comprised in the party are human beings.

The RCC is an institution.  We do not have to "forgive" an institution, it is not a human.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »

PtA, I can't argue all day, but the link I posted should give you more than a "run".

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »

All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun. Country people, however, may freely attend to the cultivation of the fields, because it frequently happens that no other days are better adapted for planting the grain in the furrows or the vines in trenches. So that the advantage given by heavenly providence may not for the occasion of a short time perish.

As I have noted in the past, this says nothing about the Sabbath nor Christianity and the only connection between this decree and the Church was the fact that its issuer was a Christian sympathizer. All he did here was mandate an Empire-wide day of rest without recourse to any specific religion and he certainly didn't move the Sabbath to Sunday.

I'll repeat a question I asked you in the past but for which I got no reply: had any other emperor prior to Constantine issued this very same decree, could he have been accused of having changed the Sabbath day as well?
Hawkeye, so you are saying that before his baptism that the EO church allowed a Roman Pagan to dictate the day of worship for the church?

The irony runs wild.   

Offline Hawkeye

• OC.net guru
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »

Hawkeye, so you are saying that before his baptism that the EO church allowed a Roman Pagan to dictate the day of worship for the church?

The irony runs wild.   

When did a Roman Pagan do that?
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
Maybe we should start (once they come back to Orthodoxy) by having all the patriarchs vote for and elect their new patriarch and continue that for a few years till we make sure that they don't put another all powerful infallible man in place. That's a legitimate idea in my eyes. A part of me doesn't want communion with them due to thoughts of the inquisition, but that's a little un-Christian right? Its wrong to hold your catholic neighbor Bob accountable for the murders and tortures committed by men he probably doesn't even know about. The other part(probably the smarter part) says "ARE YOU KIDDING? WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT PEOPLE IN THE BODY OF CHRIST???!!!!!?!?!!?!" That side makes more sense. How would you not want millions of believers in Christ to be able to praise him perfectly, conduct his sacraments correctly, follow his teachings and those of the fathers of the Church that hasn't changed? Its the most simple thing. If someone were list every living person's name, and ask you if you wanted them to be orthodox, your answer should be yes EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I can think of a number of good reasons to not rush into resuming communion with the RC church today, but what they did to the Anabaptists 350 years ago is not one of those reasons.

So do you believe they still have apostolic succession even with the blood of Christians on their hands?  Men, women, and children's blood at that.

You remember Yeshua and his instructions to do as those on the seat of Moses say but not as they do right? 

In respect, please cite scriptures an how it works with what you are saying.  I'm seeing this from 3 angles.  Just unclear.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »

PtA, I can't argue all day, but the link I posted should give you more than a "run".
An essay published by an arm of one of the biggest modern-day opponents of Sunday worship hardly passes muster for good, objective scholarship.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »

The irony runs wild.   

You said that Constantine's baptism was the remission of sins.  Baptism in the EO church also brings somebody who is not baptized into the church body.

Thus if Constantine made the decree "before he was baptized", then the EO church allowed a pagan to dictate the church's day of worship.   If he was an EO Christian, then he was unbaptized when he made the decree.

Either way, he made the decree and was an unbaptized EO Christian OR a pagan.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »

An essay published by an arm of one of the biggest modern-day opponents of Sunday worship hardly passes muster for good, objective scholarship.

But you only have one source, and it is contested - placed at the very end of Justin Martyr's work.  The document tears it apart.

Here's 63 reasons to keep the Sabbath.
http://messianicpublications.com/robert-roy/reasons-to-keep-the-7th-day/

EDIT - AND EVERY reason is backed with scripture. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:09:32 PM by yeshuaisiam »

Offline Hawkeye

• OC.net guru
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2014, 08:07:39 PM »

The irony runs wild.   

You said that Constantine's baptism was the remission of sins.  Baptism in the EO church also brings somebody who is not baptized into the church body.

Thus if Constantine made the decree "before he was baptized", then the EO church allowed a pagan to dictate the church's day of worship.   If he was an EO Christian, then he was unbaptized when he made the decree.

St. Constantine's baptism washed away any pagan nonsense from his past, whether he had worshiped Sol Invictus, put him on coins, or what have you.

The decree, once more, did not concern any church's day of worship and simply mandated a day of rest for some portion of the Empire's workforce. That is all.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
Thus if Constantine made the decree "before he was baptized", then the EO church allowed a pagan to dictate the church's day of worship.

SDA's will insist (I'm assuming you're using their literature?) that St. Constantine changed the Sabbath to Sunday. You're insisting that he changed the "church's day of worship [to Sunday]" without qualifying what you mean by "day of worship." Do you mean the Sabbath day? Do you mean the "day of the week that's more observed [likely an arbitrary or heavily subjective measure] than the rest?" Or something else?

And do explain how St. Constantine, through enacting a "day of rest" (which, as Hawkeye commented, can arguably have nothing to do with direct Christian religious observance), actually effected a doctrinal change on the local church level (including those Churches outside of the Empire).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:13:08 PM by Nephi »

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »

The irony runs wild.   

St. Constantine's baptism washed away any pagan nonsense from his past, whether he had worshiped Sol Invictus, put him on coins, or what have you.

The decree, once more, did not concern any church's day of worship and simply mandated a day of rest for some portion of the Empire's workforce. That is all.

It was much more than that.
http://books.google.com/books?id=SgtOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA380#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sure, I believe a baptism washed away his "pagan nonsense" from the past.  But the arguments stands.  His pagan nonsense CHANGED the Sabbath day and the church accepted it.  He even kept the day's pagan name and called it "venerable day of the Sun".

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
Yeshua is one of the only members here who still keeps this place interesting. Keep up the good work!

I for one agree with him. I don't want a bunch of one-hour Mass, Hindu-marrying Roman Catholics in my Church. They're the same people who drove my mother into Protestantism.

Offline Hawkeye

• OC.net guru
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »

It was much more than that.
http://books.google.com/books?id=SgtOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA380#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'll concede that the decree might have been issued in response to his growing Christianity but, as this book notes, Christians were already resting on Sunday and he was simply accommodating them and was certainly not imposing anything on the Church which it had not imposed upon itself at some earlier point in time.

Sure, I believe a baptism washed away his "pagan nonsense" from the past.  But the arguments stands.  His pagan nonsense CHANGED the Sabbath day and the church accepted it.  

Does the Church not refer to Saturday as the Sabbath even to this day? We certainly do in Russian.

He even kept the day's pagan name and called it "venerable day of the Sun".

So? He and the vast majority of his citizens were still pagans right? It only made sense to keep up the charade.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:28:29 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
Thus if Constantine made the decree "before he was baptized", then the EO church allowed a pagan to dictate the church's day of worship.

SDA's will insist (I'm assuming you're using their literature?) that St. Constantine changed the Sabbath to Sunday. You're insisting that he changed the "church's day of worship [to Sunday]" without qualifying what you mean by "day of worship." Do you mean the Sabbath day? Do you mean the "day of the week that's more observed [likely an arbitrary or heavily subjective measure] than the rest?" Or something else?

And do explain how St. Constantine, through enacting a "day of rest" (which, as Hawkeye commented, can arguably have nothing to do with direct Christian religious observance), actually effected a doctrinal change on the local church level (including those Churches outside of the Empire).

On the 7th day God rested.

QUOTE:
Constantine's decree  - "On the Venerable Day of the Sun ["venerabili die Solis"--the sacred day of the Sun] let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost...

Given the 7th day of March, [A.D. 321], Crispus and Constantine being consuls each of them for the second time." The First Sunday Law of Constantine 1, in "Codex Justinianus," lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Phillip Schaff "History of the Christian Church," Vol. 3, p. 380.
END:

It was his decree.
I've given a link for 63 reasons to keep the Sabbath.

You were commanded in the 4th Commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy.

Through Judaism and early Christians, they kept Sabbath as the day of worship and rest.  Which day do you keep as the day of rest?  The day of Constantine's decree or the day God appointed for you to.

The proof is in the pudding.  You'll be resting tomorrow as well as engaging in liturgy.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
Sure, I believe a baptism washed away his "pagan nonsense" from the past.  But the arguments stands.  His pagan nonsense CHANGED the Sabbath day and the church accepted it.  

Does the Church not refer to Saturday as the Sabbath even to this day? We certainly do in Russian.

It's Western Sabbatarian (particularly SDA) nonsense that presupposes 1) Roman Catholicism was what quickly developed after the Great Apostasy, 2) that Papal Rome dominated the entire Imperial Church, and 3) the Church was completely in cahoots with the Roman Empire. As such, since Roman Catholicism does believe that the solemnity of the Sabbath was transferred to Sunday, you end up with these sorts of comments that conveniently ignore the rest of Christianity.

This particularly striking (and clearly inaccurate) description from Ellen White's Great Controversy (pg. 53) demonstrates what I mean:

In the early part of the fourth century the emperor Constantine issued a decree making Sunday a public festival throughout the Roman Empire. (See Appendix.) The day of the sun was reverenced by his pagan subjects and was honored by Christians; it was the emperor's policy to unite the conflicting interests of heathenism and Christianity. He was urged to do this by the bishops of the church, who, inspired by ambition and thirst for power, perceived that if the same day was observed by both Christians and heathen, it would promote the nominal acceptance of Christianity by pagans and thus advance the power and glory of the church. But while many God-fearing Christians were gradually led to regard Sunday as possessing a degree of sacredness, they still held the true Sabbath as the holy of the Lord and observed it in obedience to the fourth commandment.

The archdeceiver had not completed his work. He was resolved to gather the Christian world under his banner and to exercise his power through his vicegerent, the proud pontiff who claimed to be the representative of Christ. Through half-converted pagans, ambitious prelates, and world-loving churchmen he accomplished his purpose. Vast councils were held from time to time, in which the dignitaries of the church were convened from all the world. In nearly every council the Sabbath which God had instituted was pressed down a little lower, while the Sunday was correspondingly exalted. Thus the pagan festival came finally to be honored as a divine institution, while the Bible Sabbath was pronounced a relic of Judaism, and its observers were declared to be accursed.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »
Yeshua is one of the only members here who still keeps this place interesting. Keep up the good work!

I for one agree with him. I don't want a bunch of one-hour Mass, Hindu-marrying Roman Catholics in my Church. They're the same people who drove my mother into Protestantism.

Thank you James.   As a point though, I LOVE to discuss stuff, unfortunately I get in to too much argument.  :'(  

The RC church is incredibly corrupt.  I believe parts of the EO church unfortunately got sapped into pagan customs & traditions.  If they ever united communions, it would be TOO much.  LOL.

Oh and here is a documentary, you were asking about Mary once -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3N4E-TNYdA

It was badly ripped, and the vid quality low (it's free copyright).  But very good information.  For us 1970's & 1980's folks, the quality looked normal.  LOL

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »

QUOTE:
Constantine's decree  - "On the Venerable Day of the Sun ["venerabili die Solis"--the sacred day of the Sun] let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost...

Given the 7th day of March, [A.D. 321], Crispus and Constantine being consuls each of them for the second time." The First Sunday Law of Constantine 1, in "Codex Justinianus," lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Phillip Schaff "History of the Christian Church," Vol. 3, p. 380.
END:

It was his decree.

Utterly irrelevant to my questions.

Through Judaism and early Christians, they kept Sabbath as the day of worship and rest.

Oh, but which Jews/Christians? Where? How do you define "worship and rest?" What period(s)? You should realize you're making sweeping generalizations of Judaism and early Christianity that you can't possibly account for, especially if you're relying upon 19th century German (i.e. Lutheran/post-Lutheran) scholarship that's beyond anachronistic.

Although this still didn't answer my questions.

Which day do you keep as the day of rest?  The day of Constantine's decree or the day God appointed for you to.

The proof is in the pudding.  You'll be resting tomorrow as well as engaging in liturgy.

Again, what does this have to do with my questions?

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »

It's Western Sabbatarian (particularly SDA) nonsense that presupposes 1) Roman Catholicism was what quickly developed after the Great Apostasy, 2) that Papal Rome dominated the entire Imperial Church, and 3) the Church was completely in cahoots with the Roman Empire. As such, since Roman Catholicism does believe that the solemnity of the Sabbath was transferred to Sunday, you end up with these sorts of comments that conveniently ignore the rest of Christianity.

This particularly striking (and clearly inaccurate) description from Ellen White's Great Controversy (pg. 53) demonstrates what I mean:

In the early part of the fourth century the emperor Constantine issued a decree making Sunday a public festival throughout the Roman Empire. (See Appendix.) The day of the sun was reverenced by his pagan subjects and was honored by Christians; it was the emperor's policy to unite the conflicting interests of heathenism and Christianity. He was urged to do this by the bishops of the church, who, inspired by ambition and thirst for power, perceived that if the same day was observed by both Christians and heathen, it would promote the nominal acceptance of Christianity by pagans and thus advance the power and glory of the church. But while many God-fearing Christians were gradually led to regard Sunday as possessing a degree of sacredness, they still held the true Sabbath as the holy of the Lord and observed it in obedience to the fourth commandment.

The archdeceiver had not completed his work. He was resolved to gather the Christian world under his banner and to exercise his power through his vicegerent, the proud pontiff who claimed to be the representative of Christ. Through half-converted pagans, ambitious prelates, and world-loving churchmen he accomplished his purpose. Vast councils were held from time to time, in which the dignitaries of the church were convened from all the world. In nearly every council the Sabbath which God had instituted was pressed down a little lower, while the Sunday was correspondingly exalted. Thus the pagan festival came finally to be honored as a divine institution, while the Bible Sabbath was pronounced a relic of Judaism, and its observers were declared to be accursed.

So if you have those such as Polycarp worshipping on the Sabbath, and the link I provided where many times the Sabbath was noted in the NT, then you have to analyze what day you worship on.

Here:
QUOTE:
The obligation of rest from work on Sunday remained somewhat indefinite for several centuries. A Council of Laodicea, held toward the end of the fourth century, was content to prescribe that on the Lord's Day the faithful were to abstain from work as far as possible. At the beginning of the sixth century St. Caesarius, as we have seen, and others showed an inclination to apply the law of the Jewish Sabbath to the observance of the Christian Sunday. The Council held at Orléans in 538 reprobated this tendency as Jewish and non-Christian. From the eight century the law began to be formulated as it exists at the present day, and the local councils forbade servile work, public buying and selling, pleading in the law courts, and the public and solemn taking of oaths. There is a large body of civil legislation on the Sunday rest side by side with the ecclesiastical. It begins with an Edict of Constantine, the first Christian emperor, who forbade judges to sit and townspeople to work on Sunday. He made an exception in favour of agriculture. The breaking of the law of Sunday rest was punished by the Anglo-Saxon legislation in England like other crimes and misdemeanours.
END QUOTE:
SOURCE: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14335a.htm

His edict grew into a larger vererable day of the sun "sabbath".
From the RC church itself.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »

QUOTE:

END:

It was his decree.

Utterly irrelevant to my questions.

Through Judaism and early Christians, they kept Sabbath as the day of worship and rest.

Oh, but which Jews/Christians? Where? How do you define "worship and rest?" What period(s)? You should realize you're making sweeping generalizations of Judaism and early Christianity that you can't possibly account for, especially if you're relying upon 19th century German (i.e. Lutheran/post-Lutheran) scholarship that's beyond anachronistic.

Although this still didn't answer my questions.

Which day do you keep as the day of rest?  The day of Constantine's decree or the day God appointed for you to.

The proof is in the pudding.  You'll be resting tomorrow as well as engaging in liturgy.

Again, what does this have to do with my questions?

Above link states the opinion from the RC church and how Constantine's decree grew into the Sunday worship (1st day).  EO Christians today worship & rest on Sunday, and generally are allowed to work on Saturday (7th day).

He made that decree as a pagan, and contributed at Nicea as a pagan when he changed the date of passover and pushed Christmas (day of the re-birth of his sun god sol-invictus).   YHWH, told us the feasts are forever (see Leviticus 23).

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
I am probably going to spend far more time on this debate than what it warrants, but here it goes.

The Sabbath was given to the Jews. It is not a universal obligation. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did not observe the Sabbath that we know of. No one until Moses was even aware of Sabbath keeping.  Scripture links it to the Jews directly.

Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16–17).

And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day" (Deuteronomy 5:15).

For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)

As you will recall, Christ fulfilled the Law.  We are not bound to the Law. There was a perpetual covenant with Israel until Christ came and fulfilled it. Christians have a higher calling. It is a misnomer to say we moved the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday. We are called to worship God everyday. Sunday is the Lord's Day when we celebrate His death and resurrection, but it is not the "Christian Day of Rest". Further, there is not a single time in Scripture that a non-Jew is called to adhere to the Sabbath. Lastly, despite what you may think about Justin Martyr, the argument against its validity tenuous at best.  But even before Justin Martyr, we see the first century writing, Epistle of Barnabas say:

We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (Letter of Barnabas 15:6–8)

Ignatius says:
Let every friend of Christ keep the Lord's Day as a festival, the resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days of the week. (Epistle to the Magnesians, chp 9.)

The Didache states:
And on the Lord's own day gather yourselves together and break bread and give thanks, first confessing your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.  And let no man, having his dispute with his fellow, join your assembly until they have been reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be defiled; for this sacrifice it is that was spoken of by the Lord. (paragraph 14)

All of these writings preceded St. Constantine and it is clear that the celebration of the Lord's Day (aka Resurrection Day, aka Sunday) was not foreign to early Christians.

It now comes to contemplate what exactly St. Constantine did when he pronounced Sunday to be a universal day of rest.  You must remember that he ruled not just Christians, but also a very large pagan element in the Empire. He very likely observed that both Christians and pagans found the first day of the week to be sacred and therefore codified it as a day of rest. There is no evidence that he was attempting to merge Christianity into paganism.  If indeed that was his plan, he did a very poor job of it and there would have been numerous other methods by which he would have had more success with such an endeavor.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:53:24 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!