Author Topic: Anyone else struggle/ dislike Eatern Rite liturgy?  (Read 23108 times)

Offline truthseeker32

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA-Denver
Anyone else struggle/ dislike Eatern Rite liturgy?
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »
I lurk over at TAW at christianforums every now and again and one of the Orthodox contributors, voicing his struggles with Orthodoxy and life, mentioned that he isn't a big fan of Orthodox liturgy. I find this interesting, given that many Orthodox converts I have spoken to speak of the Divine Liturgy in such glowing terms, often identifying it as one of the primary reasons for their conversion. At the same time it resonates with me, since I was drawn to the church not by liturgics but my theological and historical study. I could honestly care less about what rite my parish uses as long as it is canonical. Is there anyone here who has similar feelings to the TAW poster? Are any of you Orthodox Christians struggling to love the Eastern Rite Divine Liturgy?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
Re: Anyone else struggle/ dislike Eatern Rite liturgy?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:21:35 PM »
It took several years to get used to it. It's my home now but I can certainly symphatize with those who prefer with other forms of worship.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »
I love the Orthodox Divine Liturgy.  My caveat would be that I love it in English.  I think I would probably get pretty bored if I would have to go and listen to it in a language I didn't understand.  I wonder if that is his issue or if there is some other aspect that he does not like.
God bless!

Offline truthseeker32

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
I love the Orthodox Divine Liturgy.  My caveat would be that I love it in English.  I think I would probably get pretty bored if I would have to go and listen to it in a language I didn't understand.  I wonder if that is his issue or if there is some other aspect that he does not like.
I am not sure what he dislikes about it, TBH. All he has said is he prefers Roman Catholic Mass, but he is too far away to attend a Western Rite Orthodox parish. I once attended a parish where the longest part of the Divine Liturgy was the priest's sermon. It was not unusual for his sermon to last an hour. I am much happier in my new home parish where the pastor keeps things short and sweet. Maybe he has a priest who takes too long and he can't handle long liturgies.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:33:32 PM »
I love the Orthodox Divine Liturgy.  My caveat would be that I love it in English.

On the flip side, I really don't care for DL in English. I'm happy to have it in the first place, but I'd take a Greek DL any day. I've never experienced it in any other language, so I can't say if the effect would trump understanding or the other way around.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
I've grown to love and appreciate the Byzantine Liturgy, but for a while early on it just annoyed me since it seemed so long and repetitive. The smells and bells wore off , and took awhile to seem nice again.

Offline truthseeker32

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:49:14 PM »
I've grown to love and appreciate the Byzantine Liturgy, but for a while early on it just annoyed me since it seemed so long and repetitive. The smells and bells wore off , and took awhile to seem nice again.
I can definitely relate. Certain liturgies often leave me tired and irritated because of the length and repetition. I often find myself thinking "Is it really necessary to say that same prayer 10 times in a row? I got it the first time." I have found solace in Greek liturgy. They are good at keeping things concise.

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »
Maybe he never sang in choir or served. Could be he's being drawn towards a different role to take during services.  Lots of churches here use congregational singing in styles from the old world.
Keeps everyone involved and not just standing there listening to a choir.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
Honestly, just the regular liturgy seems short to me these days compared to how it used to feel. It seems like it flies by. If I didn't have kids I would try to take on Vigil/Matins/Vespers stuff, but my small kids make that an impossibility for me currently.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
Maybe he never sang in choir or served. Could be he's being drawn towards a different role to take during services.  Lots of churches here use congregational singing in styles from the old world.

I think that there is a lot to what you have written here.  Involving the faithful in the Liturgy is very important, and something that is often missed (like in the Serbian Church that I attend).  The Liturgy should be a "common work" of the people, and not a concert put on by the priest and the choir. 
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline spyridon

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
I personally took a couple of years to appreciate the Divine Liturgy and still have a slight preference for the Traditional Latin mass.
I also don't care much for the DL in English, probably a remnant from my Trad Catholic upbringing. I enjoy the feeling of timelessness and Catholicity of the DL in the Ancient Greek.
Again my trad Cat upbringing shows in DL participation- I don't feel comfortable with it. I don't want to have to sing anything. I like having the choir sing- it allows me the privilege of praying and preparing for the mysteries without being expected to do 'something'.
I am most grateful to those who do these things on our behalf.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »
The liturgy doesn't matter to me, truth does. If Orthodoxy is the truth, then I'll accept the whole package deal. Same with Rome, even though their liturgy is...  8)
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »
I love the Eastern Liturgy, and I see the repetition as a deep expression of the affective (not effective) aspect of the human person's love of God. When one falls in love, one does not tire of expressing that love over and over. Perhaps, because of human weakness, we tire of heartfelt expressions, but the Liturgy helps make up for that.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:55 PM »
I love the Orthodox Divine Liturgy.  My caveat would be that I love it in English.

On the flip side, I really don't care for DL in English. I'm happy to have it in the first place, but I'd take a Greek DL any day. I've never experienced it in any other language, so I can't say if the effect would trump understanding or the other way around.

I also prefer the Greek.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »

I also prefer the Greek.
If we're talking 'druthers, I prefer it in English, Greek and Arabic, with the Arabic overly ornamented and the Greek slightly off-key -- as I learned it.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »

My recent experience is something of a mix of these two preferences.  I prefer the idea of Liturgy in English because I understand it (and my private prayers are always in English, even when I think it would be nice to use another language for certain prayers now and then).  But when I actually attend a Liturgy in English these days, I find that my ability to join in and pray the Liturgy is somewhat impaired.  On the other hand, I am able to pray the Liturgy better when it is in another language, whether or not I understand the language, and whether or not any English is used at all.  It wasn't always like that for me, but that's what it is for now.  I find it amusing.  :)
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »

I think that there is a lot to what you have written here.  Involving the faithful in the Liturgy is very important, and something that is often missed (like in the Serbian Church that I attend).  The Liturgy should be a "common work" of the people, and not a concert put on by the priest and the choir. 

+100

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »
I like it. It does look lovely and holy from watching the Divine Liturgy of various Churches  on youtube.  :(

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
I like it. It does look lovely and holy from watching the Divine Liturgy of various Churches  on youtube.  :(

Being there to hear the bells, chants, and devout prayers ascending to heaven, smell the incense, see the glorious vestments and tears flow from people's eyes, and then taste and touch the very Blood and Blood of Christ on your lips is awesome. You absolutely must attend, not merely watch.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:00:57 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Raylight

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »
The moment of truth.

I went to a Catholic Mass and an Orthodox Liturgy.

My first Orthodox Liturgy was bad experience, as I got out after few minutes because I was lost.

However the next times were better, but so far non of them was as good as the Catholic Mass.

I have to admit that I don't like the Eastern Liturgy because it is too complicated, so many things going on there and it is very easy to lose track. I didn't feel that connected.

In case one day I became Orthodox, I might go to the Western Rite of Orthodoxy.

Sometimes I thought I'm attracted to the Eastern theology and customs, and other times I thought I'm attracted to the West. However, when it comes to it, I'm more attracted to the West than the East.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Admittedly I struggled with the concept of only attending a "Byzantine" liturgy, but I got past that once I realized that It's probably closer to the earliest Christian worship in the west than even the pre-Vatican II Catholic Liturgy.
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »
Admittedly I struggled with the concept of only attending a "Byzantine" liturgy, but I got past that once I realized that It's probably closer to the earliest Christian worship in the west than even the pre-Vatican II Catholic Liturgy.

How did you come to that realisation? 

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 11:19:13 PM »

Well, on one hand the Filioque is recited in the creed, unleavened bread is used, the celebrant priest is celibate, etc...

But in all seriousness, take for instance the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts, compiled by St. Gregory the Great.  When I attended it, besides the obvious absence of the consecration of the gifts, I really got the feeling that it was cut from the same cloth as the Eastern Liturgies.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:46 PM »

Well, on one hand the Filioque is recited in the creed, unleavened bread is used, the celebrant priest is celibate, etc...

But none of those really have to do with the rite.

But in all seriousness, take for instance the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts, compiled by St. Gregory the Great.  When I attended it, besides the obvious absence of the consecration of the gifts, I really got the feeling that it was cut from the same cloth as the Eastern Liturgies.

That's because it is.  :P

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 11:33:29 PM »

Not to mention that medieval Western liturgy has the same element of mystery and veiling, what with the rood screen and altar curtain, that the various Eastern rites do (an element which was abolished, with almost all of the aforementioned screens and curtains, at Trent).
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 11:37:44 PM »

But none of those really have to do with the rite.

True.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »

It reminds me of the French Fr. Louis-Marie Chauvet who didn't seem to care much for the traditional Latin Rite, and clearly so as a Vatican II-era proponent of "reform." He called it "cluttered" with archaic and obsolete trappings that grew to obscure the Mass, which could no longer relate to modern human experience, and also IIRC barely resembled the early Church anymore (I believe he was effectively an antiquarian primitivist in this regard). He no doubt would've said the same about all other traditional rites, though.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 12:00:57 AM »
He called it "cluttered" with archaic and obsolete trappings that grew to obscure the Mass, which could no longer relate to modern human experience, and also IIRC barely resembled the early Church anymore (I believe he was effectively an antiquarian primitivist in this regard). He no doubt would've said the same about all other traditional rites, though.

These people...

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 01:31:10 AM »
I like the simplicity and quiet of the traditional mass. I also like Romanesque and early Gothic churches. Statues and crucifixes are nice too. Also(and take this from a novice psalti), long melismata and showy Byzantine chant often seem to distract from the point.

Shoot me.
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline truthseeker32

• High Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
I like the simplicity and quiet of the traditional mass. I also like Romanesque and early Gothic churches. Statues and crucifixes are nice too. Also(and take this from a novice psalti), long melismata and showy Byzantine chant often seem to distract from the point.

Shoot me.
I won't shoot you. I agree with you.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »

I prefer the Liturgy in Ukrainian...hands down.

I've been to an OCA parish, where it was all English....and it just didn't hit me like hearing it in Ukrainian.  It's not just my home parish....I've been to many Ukrainian churches and each one made my soul sing.

However, I've participated in Serbian, Romanian, Greek and Antiochian Liturgies, where I didn't understand much of the language, however, I was still not bored, nor was it pointless.

As for the OP, perhaps the individual doesn't "understand" the Divine Liturgy, and what is going on with each prayer, movement, hymn.  Our Liturgies overflow with symbolism, and if you realize what truly is transpiring before you, there would be no way someone would be bored. 

I am usually in awe of what is occurring around me, and humbled to be there....even if my feet hurt, and I'm about to swoon from the heat....it is still an irreplaceable event.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »

Shoot me.
I won't shoot you. I agree with you.

Likewise.  I also think that Giovani Gabrieli was not a man, but an angel sent to Earth by God to show man how God should be praised.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »
I also think that Giovani Gabrieli was not a man, but an angel sent to Earth by God to show man how God should be praised.

I'll call your Gabrieli and raise you a Gombert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1uTzJuCAXQ

His Tulerunt Dominum meum might trump any Orthodox Paschal song.

Tulerunt Dominum meum, et nescio ubi posuerunt eum.
Dicunt ei angeli: 'Mulier, quid ploras?
Surrexit, sicut dixit,
praecedet vos in Galilaeam,
ibi eum videbitis.' Alleluja.
Cum ergo fleret, inclinavit se,
et perspexit in monumentum,
et vidit duos angelos sedentes, qui dicunt ei:
'Praecedet vos in Galilaeam,
ibi eum videbitis.' Alleluja.

Per the Rules, please remember to include a translation if you are posting anything in a language other than English, outside of the Foreign Languages Forum.

You are getting a 7-day warning, as this is your first such offense.

If you have any questions about this warning, please send me a PM.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator

Per Google Translate:

They have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
They say to him the angel, "Woman, why are you weeping?
He is risen, as he said,
before you into Galilee;
there you will see him. ' Hallelujah.
When, therefore, she stooped down, she turned to,
and looked into the tomb;
And she saw two angels sitting there, who say to her:
'He goes before you into Galilee;
there you will see him. ' Hallelujah.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:26:25 PM by LizaSymonenko »

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »
I love the EO liturgy, that is best experienced IMHO in its totality, meaning there is an entry ramp unto it with the matins, hours and pre-communion prayers, the DL itself, and an exit ramp that consists of the post-communion prayers and the Agape meal. Don't take me wrong; I have been late even to the DL, but I feel that I miss something very important if I am not there when the entire church is blessed and I have the opportunity to have my own (unhurried) entrance prayers, veneration of the icons, and lighting my candles.

At the same time, I do not think that I can experience it in its totality if I do not participate in it  as fully as I can, that is by praying silently along with the priest/deacon and singing along with the Choir. In my OCA parish, we also provide the crucial "amens" at the Epiklesis, something that is somewhat of a local custom but nonetheless makes it clear that the common work is truly so and that all common prayers are completed appropriately by the laos. Since I am currently fluent only in English, I prefer it to my mother tongue or any other language.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:13:01 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) »

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
At the Greek Orthodox church I visit the majority of Divine Liturgy is in English, however the Gospel is read in Greek as well and the Our Father is said in several different languages (English, Greek, Spanish, etc.).  There are other portions of the liturgy where Father chants in Greek that I've noticed but I am still new to the DL and can't pinpoint the places where he does this.  The service in its entirety is so very beautiful as you stand there and take everything in as you worship with those around you . . .I just don't want it to end. I was happy this past Sunday when we had the kneeling service afterward, as I was able to extend my time in the Lord's presence. 

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »
I don't have a distaste for the Eastern liturgy at all and could easily become accustomed to it; however, every time I attend a service, I'm grow in appreciation for Western Rite Orthodoxy. It's my "natural habitat" so to speak.

I have often thought of liturgical context as being akin to a sort of "spiritual ecosphere." A creature which has been the product of, and an organic part of, an ecosphere, thrives there. Remove that creature from its native ecosphere and put it somewhere else, it could surely adapt over time, but that requires that the creature end up turning into something different entirely.

Not a perfect analogy, but those are my thoughts. I'm thankful for the Orthodox Church's wisdom in blessing an authentically Western "ecosphere" for those of us who want to worship the Holy Trinity in Spirit and in Truth from a place where we can remain what we are.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 11:53:19 PM »
I'm not sure I would like the Greek or Antiochean versions, but I do like the Ukrainian Catholic and "Byzantine" (formerly Ruthenian) Catholic Divine Liturgies. I did attend an OCA parish one week, but something was missing. Maybe the choir being in the loft singing the responses mostly and not everyone all on one level.

It has me wondering why we didn't just translate the Gregorian chants (Propers and Ordinary alike, as it was) to something in English when all the Eastern churches managed to come up with appropriate English versions of their chants ::) Some people are out there trying to remedy that, but even less than the traditionalists that just use the old Latin Mass!

But barring a brutal dictator of a Pope who has a one-track mind for liturgical reform gets elected in my lifetime, I'll just have to deal with the mess as it is  :-\ I will say I think the idea of the "Low" or "private" Mass was the biggest mistake we ever made liturgically because it led to all the others.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
I prefer the weekday services with just a chanter or two to the big liturgies with a choir.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline frjohnmorris

• OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »
I personally took a couple of years to appreciate the Divine Liturgy and still have a slight preference for the Traditional Latin mass.
I also don't care much for the DL in English, probably a remnant from my Trad Catholic upbringing. I enjoy the feeling of timelessness and Catholicity of the DL in the Ancient Greek.
Again my trad Cat upbringing shows in DL participation- I don't feel comfortable with it. I don't want to have to sing anything. I like having the choir sing- it allows me the privilege of praying and preparing for the mysteries without being expected to do 'something'.

I could not disagree more. The Orthodox Church expresses its doctrine in its liturgical texts. For that reason, services should be done in a language that the people understand. There is nothing wrong with using a little foreign language for something like the Trisagion the meaning of which everyone knows, but if you cannot understand the various stichera and canons, you are missing a lot of the teaching of the Church which is perfectly expressed in the liturgical texts of our Church.

Fr. John W. Morris.

Offline Chrismated

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
To my knowledge, the English language has been around in a form, since the time of Christ on Earth, at least, and has been used to spread the Gospel of our Lord in a great way. If someone is happy not knowing what is being said, and likes the "feeling" they get from hearing a foreign language, then God bless them. I personally, think, that if someone is going to speak in a "tongue" or "language" that is not understood, then time should be taken to interpret, as the Bible commands. Of course, it may be written in English, or another language that is common to the local folks, on a bulletin or missal type of reading material, but nonetheless, if we are going to speak in a language that is unknown to the people being spoken to, then either the Holy Spirit will let them hear the words in their own language, or it should be interpreted for them in some easy to understand way. If the Church Congregation cannot understand what it being said, it as "sounding brass".

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
Huh? The English language has been around since about the Seventh Century. It certainly wasn't around in the time of Christ.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
Huh? The English language has been around since about the Seventh Century. It certainly wasn't around in the time of Christ.

This English language hasn't been around until the 17th century.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Chrismated

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
:You are right, a "form", as I said, really didn't qualify as English. Maybe this will help.
English is primarily a West Germanic language that originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects, brought to Britain by Germanic invaders and/or settlers from the places which are now called North West Germany and the Netherlands. It uses a vocabulary unlike other European languages of the same era. A large portion of the modern English vocabulary came from the Anglo-Norman languages. English is considered a "borrowing" language.

Middle English differed from Old English because of two invasions which occurred during the Middle Ages. The first invasion was by peoples who spoke North Germanic languages. They conquered and colonised parts of Britain during the 8th and 9th centuries AD. The second invasion was by the Normans of the 11th century, who spoke Old Norman and eventually developed an English form of this, called Anglo-Norman. New vocabulary introduced at this time heavily influenced many organizations including the church, the court system and the government. European languages including German, Dutch, Latin and Ancient Greek influenced the English vocabulary during the Renaissance.

Old English initially was a diverse group of dialects, reflecting the varied origins of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Britain. The Late West Saxon dialect eventually became dominant. Written Old English of AD 1000 was similar to other Germanic languages such as Old High German and Old Norse in terms of vocabulary and grammar. Written Old English is relatively unintelligible today, in contrast to written Modern English and written Middle English. Close contact with the Scandinavians resulted in much grammatical simplification and lexical enrichment of the English language, which had been based on Anglo-Frisian. These changes did not reach South West England until the Norman invasion in 1066. Old English developed into a full-fledged literary language, based on the most common manner of speaking in London during the 13th century.
Thank you for your kind criticism.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »

Shoot me.

Send me your address and I will gladly do so.  Do you prefer a 9mm or a .357? 

You're totally wrong about Byzantine chant and the slow melismata.  Maybe you should go to Mt. Athos and tell the monks that these long melismata are distracting from the point.  See where that gets you.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline spyridon

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »

I could not disagree more. The Orthodox Church expresses its doctrine in its liturgical texts. For that reason, services should be done in a language that the people understand. There is nothing wrong with using a little foreign language for something like the Trisagion the meaning of which everyone knows, but if you cannot understand the various stichera and canons, you are missing a lot of the teaching of the Church which is perfectly expressed in the liturgical texts of our Church.

Fr. John W. Morris.

I see your point Fr and of course it makes sense. However I still prefer the Ancient Greek as I simply find it spiritually nourishing in a way that I just can't connect with when the liturgy is in English.
I of course use the service books for the stichera and canons and prepare after vespers to understand the Church teaching for that Sunday.

Otherwise the whole experience would be banal.

Having done this I have the great privilege of praying through the liturgy and experiencing the timeless Catholicity of Orthodoxy.

When I have to attend an English Divine Liturgy I never have the same experience of Sacred timelessness. The English doesn't engage me in the same manner and breaks my prayer. I loose spiritual focus because I don't have 'to work' for understanding. By this I mean that before the Divine Liturgy I read the teaching for the day, sermons of the fathers, canons etc and I have the opportunity to reflect on them and pray with them during the service.

This is in my opinion the key- the Greek makes me work and deepens my understanding. I feel a small part of the bigger picture. God has been worshipped in this language since the early Christians took refuge in the Mediterranean and that time less link is important to me- there is nothing except my own limitations of time and effort stopping me from understanding the Greek fully.
My Greek parish has a healthy little stream of converts and it surprised me that we have more converts than the nearest 'all English' parish.
Our clergy give us spiritually nourishing religious instruction, guide us in study of the Saints, scripture, Church history and especially drill us in what is happening and why at every juncture of the Divine Liturgy. They simply won't receive us into the Church until they are sure.
Besides I freely chose to join the Greek Orthodox Church- it is my personal failure if I don't engage myself to know my faith.

I don't need English for that. I need motivation and the grace of God.