OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One couple, two churches  (Read 3426 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: June 10, 2014, 03:05:27 AM »

How bad is it for a couple to often attend different churches (but maybe share on some holidays and other days)?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »

My wife and I do it.  I go to her church at 9am and then to DL by myself at 10.  It is not ideal, but it keeps the peace in our house.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »

How bad is it for a couple to often attend different churches (but maybe share on some holidays and other days)?

It depends on the individual. It's not ideal, and (IMHO) adds another layer of difficulty to the marriage. But it really depends on what your non-negotiables are. It is very important to me that my husband and I attend the same church, and share the same faith. It may not be that important to others. Anecdotally, friends have told me that it gets a little lonely going to church by yourself, and perhaps not being able to participate fully in the life of the parish. Also, with kids, it gets even more difficult.
I grew up in a family like this. While my mother and father loved and respected each other and had a wonderful relationship, it was still hard on all of us being split between two churches. Maybe that's why it was so important to me for my husband and I to share the same faith. Also, I don't want my faith, which is the deepest, truest part of me, to be a subject of constant negotiation and compromise. I want to be able to share that part of me fully with my husband.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »

Children are a big deal.  If your Church is important to you, and you wish to raise your children in the Church, it is best if your spouse were also Orthodox.

The hopping from one to the other is very confusing for children, and they wouldn't wish to betray either parent, and therefore, wouldn't really grow to love one Church over another....and they will most likely grow up not caring for either one, as neither was close to their heart.

If there are no children, it would still be best if both went to the same church, or at least belonged to the same Church.  However, as noted above, and I know many such situations, that in order to keep the peace at home, one or the other spouse will visit the other spouse's church.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »

My kids call my church "Daddy's crazy church", which is because my wife makes jabs about it when she is feeling moody. I just try to let it go and hope that as they get older they will become interested and see the beauty in it.  I taught my oldest daughter the Trisagion Hymn and before bed, we sing that together and my wife has let that go.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »

My kids call my church "Daddy's crazy church", which is because my wife makes jabs about it when she is feeling moody. I just try to let it go and hope that as they get older they will become interested and see the beauty in it.  I taught my oldest daughter the Trisagion Hymn and before bed, we sing that together and my wife has let that go.

My former wife was a RC but not a fervent one.  It wasn't an issue at all...  I went to church and she didn't.....
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »

I wonder how OO/OO and WRO/EO couples solve this kind of problems.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »

I've seen it both fail (in that the whole family was lost to Orthodoxy), or succeed (in one family, the children evidently have been the choice to choose which one they want-which is a concession in reality to the beliefs of the other church.  The children so far, however, have picked Orthodoxy).

It will be as big a deal as one wants to make it. Btw, from personal experience, I can tell you that marrying an Orthodox is not a guarantee of success in this matter of having one Church.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: