OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:27:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Black Dragon - aka the New Jersey Turnpike  (Read 164 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: June 10, 2014, 02:29:36 AM »

Tracey Morgan's tragic accident has renewed focus on America's most heavily traveled highway - the NJ Turnpike.  It's one fast road - going 70 is like standing still.

I remember many a time heading south on the Turnpike when the speedometer didn't go below 85 (this was when the speed limit was still 55).

Now they're completing a 35 mile widening project to extend the dual-dual car/truck lanes down to where the PA Turnpike merges with the NJ Turnpike.

Anyone has turnpike stories to reminisce? 
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »

Anyone has turnpike stories to reminisce? 

I was driving on the Turnpike very late one night (actually, it was early morning).  Usually, I'm very good about not sleeping at the wheel, pulling over when I feel tired, etc., but for some reason that night was very difficult.  Also, the "Cars Only" late was closed, so I had to drive with all the trucks.  Add to that the torrential downpour that would not let up.  It was a bad night to be drowsy, but I was. 

Anyway, I don't know what happened, but I must've dozed off (for how long, I know not).  When I became alert enough to realise what was happening, I was a couple of seconds away from driving into the back of a truck, but I was not able to move quickly enough to avert disaster. 

At that moment, my car started driving itself: the gear selector would move on its own, the emergency brake was applying itself, the pedals were moving on their own, as was the steering wheel.  The next thing I knew, the car pulled over to the side of the road, the gear went from D to P, and the hazard lights put themselves on. 

I am certain my guardian angel was driving the car.  I know I didn't do it, and I have no explanation for how my car did all those things.  It even signaled which direction it was going to go in before changing lanes.  The angel broke no laws, but drove like a race car driver.     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: