OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 02:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about vestments?  (Read 446 times) Average Rating: 0
Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: One of the Orthodox Faithful - no longer a Catechumen!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« on: June 09, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

I've been wondering something, and haven't been able to find it in drawings.

The priest wears something that looks like a stiff square in the same fabric as the outer vestments, with tassels I think. IIRC, it hangs to the front rather low (about knee high) on his right side. I don't see any particular purpose for it, but I'm sure it has a significance.

Not sure what to call it though. Can anyone explain about that?

I was just curious.

And are there any detailed information about the significance of colors? I'm guessing this can vary between jurisdictions, as I have seen photos of Russian Orthodox, for example, in different color vestments for a particular feast?

Thanks. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:03:57 PM by Anna.T » Logged

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »

Is it the square on the left side of picture at about the waist?

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »

Found it on Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Orthodox_Priest_Liturgy.png

It's an award given to priests for their service to the Church by their bishop.  In my parish it is only worn by the two priests we have who are archpriests.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »

I've been wondering something, and haven't been able to find it in drawings.

The priest wears something that looks like a stiff square in the same fabric as the outer vestments, with tassels I think. IIRC, it hangs to the front rather low (about knee high) on his right side. I don't see any particular purpose for it, but I'm sure it has a significance.

Not sure what to call it though. Can anyone explain about that?

I was just curious.

And are there any detailed information about the significance of colors? I'm guessing this can vary between jurisdictions, as I have seen photos of Russian Orthodox, for example, in different color vestments for a particular feast?

Thanks. Smiley

Shame that the Copt who's bishops don't wear this is answering this question  Wink

It's called (in Greek) the epigonation. It literally means "over the knee". It's worn by all EO bishops and can be awarded to priests. It comes from the Byzantine tradition of awarding ceremonial swords that came with ornate shields that were worn on the thigh. This now represents the protection of Christ on his priests. It's worn over the right knee. In the Russian tradition, a priest maybe awarded this and/or another vestment that hangs in its place that is square instead of a diamond. If a Russian priest wears both, he moves the diamond shaped one to the left knee and wears the square/rectangle over the right.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:46:34 PM by CopticDeacon » Logged

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »

If a Russian priest wears both, he moves the diamond shaped one to the left knee abd wears the square/rectangle over the right.

I've only ever seen it the other way around: diamond over right knee, rectangle over left. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »

It may be a diamond then. It's essentially square, but it hangs from a corner so it could be called a diamond. I'm pretty sure it's about knee height, not waist, because it's very visible (the outer vestments would probably cover it if it was too high?

So it's basically some kind of award?

He deserves one.  The only priest, and no deacon, so he works very hard, trying to do for all the groups, including kids, youth, and seniors. But I don't know if the award has anything to do with that. Smiley

Thanks for the answers. Smiley

Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:20:18 AM »

And are there any detailed information about the significance of colors? I'm guessing this can vary between jurisdictions, as I have seen photos of Russian Orthodox, for example, in different color vestments for a particular feast

Churches in the Greek tradition have a much looser tradition of vestment and church drape colors than do the Russians and most other Slavs. The basic variations in the Greek are "bright" and "dark", with "dark" being used during the four Lenten periods.

Russian tradition is more highly developed. While their typikons continue to specify simply "bright" or "dark", in practice, the system is more elaborate, when resources allow it:

• Green for Palm Sunday, Pentecost (including the week after Pentecost) and feasts of prophets and saints who are holy fools
  • Purple for Great Lent
  • Black for Holy Week
  • White for Easter, Bright Week, up to Pentecost; also the period between the Nativity and the leave-taking of Theophany (sometimes extended to the day before Great Lent begins)
  • Blue for feasts of the Mother of God
  • Red for lenten periods other than Great Lent
  • Gold for all other times.

There are slight regional and even parish variations to this, but the above generally applies.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »

It's Russian
 To wear red on Pascha

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 02:04:01 AM »

It's Russian
 To wear red on Pascha

Moscow, yes. Other regions, not necessarily.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 02:11:48 AM »

St Tikhon's Monastery does this in Pennsylvania.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 02:13:47 AM »

Please see the last line of reply #6.  police
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 03:14:43 AM »

Found it on Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Orthodox_Priest_Liturgy.png

It's an award given to priests for their service to the Church by their bishop.  In my parish it is only worn by the two priests we have who are archpriests.

It's not quite "an award." The "Epigonation" is associated with the "official titles" ("offikia") granted or accorded to priests over time, such as "Sakelarios" and "Economos" (Steward).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:28:53 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
DeniseDenise
Mistress of the Universe
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 05:31:28 AM »

I was just taking this as proof that Penn. is really some sort of satellite campus of Moscow.

laugh
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »

I was just taking this as proof that Penn. is really some sort of satellite campus of Moscow.

laugh
Never! 

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 06:06:27 AM »

My Ukrainian priest, wears red on Pascha, as well.

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 02:15:28 PM »

It's an award given to priests for their service to the Church by their bishop.  In my parish it is only worn by the two priests we have who are archpriests.

It's not quite "an award." The "Epigonation" is associated with the "official titles" ("offikia") granted or accorded to priests over time, such as "Sakelarios" and "Economos" (Steward).

Thanks for the further info. I guess maybe I will ask Fr. M. about it sometime. I was just curious, as I think he maybe always wears one during Divine Liturgy but I did not see it when I looked online and had no idea what it was for.

Thank you.

Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »

And are there any detailed information about the significance of colors? I'm guessing this can vary between jurisdictions, as I have seen photos of Russian Orthodox, for example, in different color vestments for a particular feast

Churches in the Greek tradition have a much looser tradition of vestment and church drape colors than do the Russians and most other Slavs. The basic variations in the Greek are "bright" and "dark", with "dark" being used during the four Lenten periods.

Russian tradition is more highly developed. While their typikons continue to specify simply "bright" or "dark", in practice, the system is more elaborate, when resources allow it:

• Green for Palm Sunday, Pentecost (including the week after Pentecost) and feasts of prophets and saints who are holy fools
  • Purple for Great Lent
  • Black for Holy Week
  • White for Easter, Bright Week, up to Pentecost; also the period between the Nativity and the leave-taking of Theophany (sometimes extended to the day before Great Lent begins)

There are slight regional and even parish variations to this, but the above generally applies.

I don't know what "holy fools" are. Smiley

Thank you for the info.

It may depend too on what is available. I know they just got green vestments for Fr. M. recently.

I do remember purple for lent. I'm not sure he had black for Holy Week, but he switched to white for Pascha.

I think Palm Sunday was green, and he has used green several times since then, including last two weeks I think.

I haven't seen the year - not even close - yet.

The Antiochian I went to, I think I remember his in black, and that was before Lent I think. That parish was newer though, and still working on getting the church painted.

DeniseDenise
Mistress of the Universe
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »

• Purple for Great Lent
  • Black for Holy Week

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Fool-for-Christ

that's a quick overview
Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 03:04:25 PM »

• Purple for Great Lent
  • Black for Holy Week

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Fool-for-Christ

that's a quick overview

Thank you. That's very interesting. I've heard similar statements, but I did not know it was a particular "kind of saint" or that someone set about it, or for what reasons or what they did.

That's really very interesting. Battling the sin of pride, eh? Ugh ...  that's a nasty one.

I think I need to think about this some more, and maybe read up on some of these saints. Thank you so much. Smiley

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »

Oh, gosh, they're the best!

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: