OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 11:35:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Periodicals  (Read 2969 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: December 19, 2003, 07:59:35 PM »

What are some of the Orthodox magazine / newspapers that everyone here subcribes to?

I currently get the Orthodox Word published by the Saint Herman of Alaska Brotherhood.  I absolutely love it and recomend it everyone.

I also just subscribed to Orthodox Tradition the magazine put out by the TOC under Metr. Kyprianos.  Haven't recieved a copy yet so I can't comment, but I like most of the other stuff they publish so I figuered this would be good.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 08:04:05 PM »

Since I'm a member of the OCA, I receive The Orthodox Church(The monthly OCA publication) along with The Dawn(My diocesan publication).  

I was thinking about perusing the net for more periodical sources.  Excellent timing on this one Nektarios! Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 08:10:46 PM »

I forgot to mention the third one I recieve which I also like a great deal.... It is entitled Orthodox Heritage  here is the group that puts it out www.orthodoxheritage.org
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 08:14:30 PM »

I subscribe to "The Orthodox Observer" (GOA) and "Again" (Antiochian)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 08:17:39 PM »

Thanks for the idea David... now the question of if the GOA paper is worth reading? I've never seen a copy before...
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 08:22:18 PM »

now the question of if the GOA paper is worth reading? I've never seen a copy before...

http://www.goarch.org/en/news/observer/
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 08:30:58 PM »

Ah, I see I can read it online.....and the lastest issue has a biography of my bishop in it  Cheesy
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 08:39:39 PM »

Nektarios, are you having avatar issues?

-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 08:40:42 PM »

Nevermind, just seems to be issues with MY browser.  Mea culpa.

-Yazid Ibrahim
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 08:41:28 PM »

Ah, I see I can read it online.....and the lastest issue has a biography of my bishop in it  Cheesy

But you can't possibly agree with it, can you?

Because you certainly have a problem with my opinions of Orthodoxy. And I must say, they ALL came from GOA Priests, the GOA website, and church periodicals.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 08:42:28 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 08:42:00 PM »

I didn't think so until you said something, but my avatar does look smaller now than it use to... That's ok though still the same aweseome icon of a great saint Cheesy
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 08:48:10 PM »

Indeed.  I know a bit about St. Nektarios of Aegina(sp?), but I would like to read an account of his life.  Is there a good online source?

-Yazid Ibrahim
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 08:57:01 PM »

towards the end of this page there is a short bio http://www.fr-d-serfes.org/writtings/stnectarios.htm

The best though is to actually get the biography of him http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/cgi-bin/ccp51u/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F1633135&rnd=3055372&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=3STNEEP1&cat=&catstr=
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 09:10:47 PM »

Oh I'd love to go to St. Nektarios in NY...but my consilation is that the Katholikon as Saint Anthony's is dedicated to Saint Nektarios  Grin

Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 11:04:32 AM »

I also subscribe to the Orthodox Word published by the Saint Herman of Alaska Brotherhood.  I also highly recommend it.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 11:57:48 AM »

The magazine: "The Road to Emmaus" is also excellent.

www.roadtoemmaus.net

Michael

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2004, 05:36:46 PM »

I also subscribe to the Orthodox Word by the St. Herman Brotherhood.  It's very informative and enriching.  Whenever I get it, though, it's always a back issue, which is new to me since I'm a new subscriber, but I haven't received a "new" issue in quite a while.  I don't really care, since the back issues are just as interesting.

I also just subscribed to "Again."  

My wife and I get TOC of the OCA since we go to an OCA parish.  For some reason I'm still on the mailing list of the GOA's paper as well.  My family has received the GOA's paper since I was little, so I've been reading it for a long time.  Honestly, I think it's "too ethnic."  Oh well.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2004, 12:32:45 AM »

I highly recommend Touchstone.  It describes itself as a "a Christian journal, conservative in doctrine and eclectic in content, with editors and readers from each of the three great divisions of Christendom — Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox;" the founding editor is an Orthodox priest.  I have found some of the most stimulating religious and cultural articles I have ever read in its pages.

http://www.touchstonemag.com/

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 12:38:48 PM »

My priest gave me, as a gift, an almost complete set of the last ten years of Orthodox Life -- an English-language magazine published by Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville NY. Now I am a subscriber of that magazine. I am having a delightful time reading it.

I have also just subscribed The Orthodox Word. I-¦ve received and read only one issue, but I think this magazine indeed deserves all the high praise it received here. The last issue, mainly dedicated to St. Alexander of Svir, was wonderfully edifying.

I will subscribe in the future to Orthodox America, a newspaper published by the Nikodemos Orthodox Publication Society (an organization that has ties with ROCOR). Road to Emmaus and Orthodox Tradition are also in my plans.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 12:01:47 AM by Felipe Ortiz » Logged
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 11:25:06 PM »

Nektarios,

How do you write online in Greek with the accent marks?? I have the greek font (Symbol) but haven't figured out how to put in the accent marks.

Psalti Boy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: