OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 30, 2015, 02:54:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing malware - for free  (Read 1523 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: June 08, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »

I spent most of Saturday removing malware from the laptops of my niece and brother-in-law.  I also upgraded my niece's laptop to Windows 8.1 - which took about 90 minutes and almost required a microsoft.com account (which I was able to bypass).  I installed two more updates on my niece's laptop but didn't see the one for continued security updates after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

I use the free version of Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 (Windows Defender on Windows 8.1) and that seems to eliminate most of the malware that my niece and brother-in-law obtain from fake Facebook apps.

Has anyone used a better malware removal solution, for free?   Huh

Installing Linux or buying Mac systems are not options in this household....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:29:39 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:48:10 AM »

Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware have been two staples of mine over the past decade, alongside Malwarebytes.

I haven't had a serious spyware/virus infection in years, though.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:56:10 AM »

Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware have been two staples of mine over the past decade, alongside Malwarebytes.

I haven't had a serious spyware/virus infection in years, though.

I had Spybot on my Windows XP system before upgrading to Windows 7.  Lots of time elapsed between major Spybot releases....

Haven't tried Ad-Aware....
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 01:40:33 AM »

Hmm... My experience with Ad-Aware... Is that it is spyware.

I use Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool... at times. I generally just make my security on my computer too high, so it warns me whenever something wants permission to run.

"We knew not whether we were in Heaven or on Earth… We only know that God dwells there among the people, and their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations." (St. Vladimir of Kiev)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: