OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:01:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Visit to a Coptic Church Tomorrow  (Read 1402 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »

So when are you converting?  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »

no need to convert, we have the same faith!
 angel
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »

Hey, I'm just visiting for now. angel

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »

As a general rule, the Liturgy of St. Basil is addressed to the Father and the Liturgy of St. Gregory is addressed to the Son, but sometimes, some priests like to do an "overlap" (interestingly enough, the Coptic Gregorian is textually similar to the Byzantine Basilian).  The Coptic Basilian is relatively shorter, and is the standard in the Coptic Church (kinda like St. John Chrysostom's liturgy the standard in the EO churches).  The Coptic Gregorian is slightly longer, and is generally used on Feast Days in the Coptic Church.  If you like to read the texts, they are available here:

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/index.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:31:01 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »

As a general rule, the Liturgy of St. Basil is addressed to the Father and the Liturgy of St. Gregory is addressed to the Son, but sometimes, some priests like to do an "overlap" (interestingly enough, the Coptic Gregorian is textually similar to the Byzantine Basilian).  The Coptic Basilian is relatively shorter, and is the standard in the Coptic Church (kinda like St. John Chrysostom's liturgy the standard in the EO churches).  The Coptic Gregorian is slightly longer, and is generally used on Feast Days in the Coptic Church.  If you like to read the texts, they are available here:

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/index.html

Interesting, thank you. I never thought of the Liturgy being addressed to a specific person of the Trinity.

Also, am I correct in saying that I heard a sort of general absolution during the liturgy?

CopticDeacon
ψάλτης (Psaltis) in the God-loving Diocese of NY and New England
Warned
Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Abba Pachom, Pray for us!

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »

There is an absolution at the end of matins, and at the end of liturgy. When deacons(and priests if a bishop is present) out on their liturgical vestments they receive absolution from the highest ranking clergyman present.

An Elder said "After one enters a perfume shop, upon leaving he will still smell of fragrant scents, even if he hasn't bought perfume. The same goes for one who spends time with holy men.  He will take upon the spiritual fragrance of their virtue."
Remnkemi

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »

There are multiple general absolutions
1. End of matins
2. End of the offertory (Absolution of ministers)
3. End of the Creed (more of a general reconciliation than an absolution)
4. End of the Fraction prayers (after the Lord's prayer)

By the way, you came in at the end of the Intercession hymn, which is the beginning of the Liturgy of the Word. And don't worry about your standing so much. Keep in mind that in my church we started at 9AM, finished the liturgy late around 12:30PM, took a break till 3:30PM and started the genuflection (sagda/prostration) prayers which finished at 7pm. You came on a major feast. It's not like that usually.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 02:50:47 AM »

^Thank you for the explanations. Smiley

I was just caught off guard I suppose, since the Byzantine tradition seems to abbreviate so much even on Pentecost.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:50:56 AM by Nephi » Logged

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2014, 02:52:42 AM »

During the Liturgy, Psalm 150 will be chanted with refrains in between reiterating that Christ ascended to the heavens and sent us the Paraclete.  After Psalm 150 is done, my favorite hymn will be chanted "Asomen".  It is usually chanted in four languages, Greek, Coptic, Arabic, and English, and there are 5 verses.  So 5 times 4, that makes 20.  If you have a good choir that ups the tune of this hymn, you'll enjoy it.  Smiley  (My pet peeve is finding a parish that is unwilling to strain their vocal cords for just 10 minutes on this hymn, and I grew up that way in Jersey City).

At the end, Abouna will be spraying everyone and give the concluding prayers.  If you start at 8AM, I think you might be able to finish by noon.  Wink  But some parishes might be faster.

Asomen:

http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1099

I just now realized that the hymn I liked so much at the service was the one you had showed me beforehand. Tongue It's been stuck in my head off and on ever since, especially the "Amen Alleluia" part.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »

Did you notice a basket filled with white head coverings for the women? When I attended, all women had their heads covered.

Didn't see a basket with head coverings, but all women did cover when they went up to receive communion and a good number were covered the entire time (maybe a little less than half).
When I attended a Coptic Liturgy in Egypt, only some women wore headcoverings for the entire time, but for the Communion all of them put headscarfs that they had taken with themselves.

no need to convert, we have the same faith!
 angel
+1

By the way, you came in at the end of the Intercession hymn, which is the beginning of the Liturgy of the Word. And don't worry about your standing so much. Keep in mind that in my church we started at 9AM, finished the liturgy late around 12:30PM, took a break till 3:30PM and started the genuflection (sagda/prostration) prayers which finished at 7pm. You came on a major feast. It's not like that usually.
Wow, that's really long! And that's great you had prostration service in the afternoon, separately from the Liturgy (at least in EO tradition this serviced is presribed for the vespers, but currently usually it's done just right after the Liturgy)

I was just caught off guard I suppose, since the Byzantine tradition seems to abbreviate so much even on Pentecost.
Well, at my parish (that it's absolutely not any good model as it goes for the liturgics) we had 2 hours of Vespers and Matins and 3 hours of Liturgy and the kneeling vespers, so it wasn't so bad.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: