OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 03:56:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Twitter and now Uber  (Read 224 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: June 06, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »

Are we in the midst of another dot.com bubble?  First, Twitter, which has never made profit, is worth lots of billions, and now ride-sharing service Uber, worth $18 Billion pre-IPO....

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Uber Inc has raised $1.2 billion from mutual funds and other investors in a funding round valuing the fast-growing rides-on-demand service at $18.2 billion, one of the highest valuations ever for a Silicon Valley startup.

Uber Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick announced the funding round on Uber's blog Friday.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-snags-1-2-billion-172830562.html

These new dot com ventures scare me more than the original dot com ventures of the late 1990's....
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 12:21:15 AM »

I hope they bring this to my area, except here rather than being uberx, it'd be uberpodunk. angel But it'd have to be faster than the cabs here (which admittedly I don't use often). I've already waited well over an hour for a cab on multiple occasions, even though I was waiting at the busiest commercial area in this part of the county, about 5 miles from where the cab company is based.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:24:09 AM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 12:23:29 AM »

But as for investing in such things.... I thought this is what capitalism, banking, government and the legal system were all about Huh Wink

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »

Uber works well in some places....I don't know about its applicability everywhere....but hey

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »

Uber would have to start buying taxi companies around the world - the utility industry was deregulated - now it's the taxi companies turn to deregulate.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 05:11:37 AM »

I like the idea. Hopefully our goverment doesn't forbid it.

Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: I agree with the Church
Jurisdiction: Huh

St. Leo III, Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 01:52:52 PM »

I like the idea. Hopefully our goverment doesn't forbid it.
too late:

http://www.wtop.com/120/3636415/Va-DMV-orders-Uber-Lyft-to-pull-over

Angry

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »

I live in Finland. Anyway, I fear that my goverment does the same. Lips Sealed

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: