OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:19:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Saint Mary actually said in Fatima City ?  (Read 1490 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2014, 10:09:31 AM »

But we're you there to see 70 000 people see this? I'm not arrogant or selfish and that borders on a personal attack. I'm allowed not to believe in it. Heck I'm not roman Catholic

More importantly, there were around 2 billion people in the world at that time. Assuming half were sleeping on the other side of the globe, there were around 1 billion people awake on the "sun side". How come 999.930.000 people did *not* see the sun moving in the sky?

As an Orthodox Christian I could explain it as" Only those at Fatima experience this phenomenon" If it happened Im sure God would make it so, but something happened.
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »

There is also the possibility that a real apparition of the Theotokos was taken over by politics.

Some people have pointed out that there were two sisters Lucy, one who was the actual child in the apparition, and the other, later presented by the Vatican, who looks completely different.

Early photos of the original sister Lucy show a completely different person:

Earlier photos of Sister Lucy:

Later photos of alleged Sister Lucy:

Comparing both:

To me it's clear these are two different persons. I don't know why anyone go through the trouble of giving the public a false sister Lucy though.

Could this be one gigantic hoax perpetrated on the Catholics......The comparisons obviously show that, short of any plastic surgery and dental work, the two comparisons do not match.....whats up?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »

There can be no genuine source, since Mary didn't write it.

True. Speaking circumspectly, the question is What did the three say that she said? (And even that may not be an entirely straight-forward task. For starters, that question is really three questions. Then there could be other issues like the passage of time affecting their memories.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
griego catolico

Faith: Catholic

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »

At some point I read that St Mary said that Russia will come to her heart by the Catholic Church and Russia will become Catholic. However, in another thread I read that one of the kids that saw and heard St Mary, said that Russia will remain Orthodox and it will come to hear heart that way ( which does makes sense, because after the 1990s Russia back again to Orthodoxy ).

There is nothing in the messages given by the Theotokos at Fatima that explicitly states that  Russia will become Catholic or remain Orthodox.

griego catolico

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »

WARNING!! We forgot the main purpose of this thread, and that if there is a genuine source where I can find what St Mary really said to the kids then ?

The best source is Fatima in Lucia's Own Words by Sister Lucia. Then get Fatima For Today by
Fr. Andrew Apostoli, which is the most up-to-date book on the apparitions and messages of Our Lady of Fatima and the subsequent events (i.e., assassination attempt on St. John Paul II, the 1984 Consecration, collapse of communism, etc.).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:53:23 PM by griego catolico » Logged
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »

WARNING!! We forgot the main purpose of this thread, and that if there is a genuine source where I can find what St Mary really said to the kids then ?

The best source is Fatima in Lucia's Own Words by Sister Lucia. Then get Fatima For Today by
Fr. Andrew Apostoli, which is the most up-to-date book on the apparitions and messages of Our Lady of Fatima and the subsequent events (i.e., assassination attempt on St. John Paul II, the 1984 Consecration, collapse of communism, etc.).

Thank you very much  Smiley

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
griego catolico

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »

There can be no genuine source, since Mary didn't write it.

True. Speaking circumspectly, the question is What did the three say that she said? (And even that may not be an entirely straight-forward task. For starters, that question is really three questions. Then there could be other issues like the passage of time affecting their memories.)

Actually, Sister Lucia addresses in her book, Fatima in Lucia's Own Words, the issue of being able to remember all that was said by Our Lady:

Maybe someone will want to ask: How can you remember all this? I don't know. Our dear Lord, Who shares out His gifts as He thinks fit, has allotted to me this little portion--my memory. He alone knows why. And besides, as far as I can see, there is this diffreence between natural and supernatural things:When we are talking to a mere creature, even while we are speasking, we tend to forget what is being said; whereas these supernatural things are ever more deeply engraved on the soul, even as we are seeing and hearing them, so that it is not easy to forget them.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »

Nothing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »

At some point I read that St Mary said that Russia will come to her heart by the Catholic Church and Russia will become Catholic. However, in another thread I read that one of the kids that saw and heard St Mary, said that Russia will remain Orthodox and it will come to hear heart that way ( which does makes sense, because after the 1990s Russia back again to Orthodoxy ).

There is nothing in the messages given by the Theotokos at Fatima that explicitly states that  Russia will become Catholic or remain Orthodox.
"In May of 1946, a Russian girl (Natacha Derfelden) in exile at Paris, went to the International Marian Con­ gress at Fatima and took Russian soil to place at the Shrine. Thirty-five thousand youth delegates from all the five continents joined with her in an act of consecrating Russia to the Immaculate Heart. It is rumored that Natacha was told by Sister Lucia (the visionary of Fatima) that the conversion of Russia would be completed through the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Rite. I received this news from Fatima, at the time, through a reliable reporter who said that he had corroborated it with Miss Derfelden. Later one of the greatest "underground” apostles of Our Lady of Fatima in the world, who visited the Russian Orthodox in Paris, passed the report to me verbally in New York"(Russia Will be Converted, John Haffert, President of the Blue Army, 1956, p. 204).
http://johnhaffert.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Russia-convert-2.pdf

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
PorphyriosK

Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »

There is also the possibility that a real apparition of the Theotokos was taken over by politics.

Some people have pointed out that there were two sisters Lucy, one who was the actual child in the apparition, and the other, later presented by the Vatican, who looks completely different.

Comparing both:

To me it's clear these are two different persons. I don't know why anyone go through the trouble of giving the public a false sister Lucy though.

Some speculate that this could be related to the disputed 3rd secret of Fatima which was supposed to be released to the public in 1960.  It was not released at that time due to fears of public reaction to its contents.  Sr. Lucia found this secret so disturbing that she had great difficulty in writing it down, even in obedience to superiors.  Part of it was finally released (in 2000?), but it was not anything that would seem so terrifying or worth suppressing for so many decades.  Many believe the full content of the secret was not released because it contained warnings from Our Lady about changes being made in the Church and widespread apostasy among the hierarchy.

The original Sr. Lucia was effectively silenced in the 1950's and made no public appearances for a period of ten years.  When the Vatican reintroduced her to the public, she appeared different.  The original Lucia was a very solemn, penitent woman who seemed as though the weight of the world was on her shoulders, presumably as a result of the knowledge she'd been burdened with.  But when she reappeared, not only did she seem different physically, but her personality seemed to have changed as well.  Who knows if we will ever know the truth of what happened.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »

Comparing both:

Some speculate that this could be related to the disputed 3rd secret of Fatima which was supposed to be released to the public in 1960.  It was not released at that time due to fears of public reaction to its contents.  Sr. Lucia found this secret so disturbing that she had great difficulty in writing it down, even in obedience to superiors.  Part of it was finally released (in 2000?), but it was not anything that would seem so terrifying or worth suppressing for so many decades.  Many believe the full content of the secret was not released because it contained warnings from Our Lady about changes being made in the Church and widespread apostasy among the hierarchy.

The original Sr. Lucia was effectively silenced in the 1950's and made no public appearances for a period of ten years.  When the Vatican reintroduced her to the public, she appeared different.  The original Lucia was a very solemn, penitent woman who seemed as though the weight of the world was on her shoulders, presumably as a result of the knowledge she'd been burdened with.  But when she reappeared, not only did she seem different physically, but her personality seemed to have changed as well.  Who knows if we will ever know the truth of what happened.

I see that you are Catholic.

If what you are saying is true, how could anyone join a Church that he/she thinks it leaders did something like the above. ? Wouldn't that be a sign that there is something very wrong in the Church ?.

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
PorphyriosK

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2014, 12:21:53 AM »

Comparing both:

If what you are saying is true, how could anyone join a Church that he/she thinks it leaders did something like the above. ? Wouldn't that be a sign that there is something very wrong in the Church ?.

Time is running out and Satan is trying desperately to destroy the Church from within.  All these things have been foretold in many prophecies for centuries.  Leaders in the Church are not what makes the Church.  They can be great sinners or great saints just as they have been throughout all Church history.  Right now we are in a dark time in that history. 
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2014, 12:39:00 AM »

Comparing both:

Some speculate that this could be related to the disputed 3rd secret of Fatima which was supposed to be released to the public in 1960.  It was not released at that time due to fears of public reaction to its contents.  Sr. Lucia found this secret so disturbing that she had great difficulty in writing it down, even in obedience to superiors.  Part of it was finally released (in 2000?), but it was not anything that would seem so terrifying or worth suppressing for so many decades.  Many believe the full content of the secret was not released because it contained warnings from Our Lady about changes being made in the Church and widespread apostasy among the hierarchy.

The original Sr. Lucia was effectively silenced in the 1950's and made no public appearances for a period of ten years.  When the Vatican reintroduced her to the public, she appeared different.  The original Lucia was a very solemn, penitent woman who seemed as though the weight of the world was on her shoulders, presumably as a result of the knowledge she'd been burdened with.  But when she reappeared, not only did she seem different physically, but her personality seemed to have changed as well.  Who knows if we will ever know the truth of what happened.

Time is running out and Satan is trying desperately to destroy the Church from within.  All these things have been foretold in many prophecies for centuries.  Leaders in the Church are not what makes the Church.  They can be great sinners or great saints just as they have been throughout all Church history.  Right now we are in a dark time in that history.  

Sadly it seems like it. But the problem is who is good and who is bad ? How would I know who to trust ?

Also I always ask this question sometimes, Are you Traditionalist Catholic or a Catholic who accepts Vatican II ?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:39:39 AM by Raylight » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »

Switzerland had excellent plastic surgeons in the 1950's.  Sister Lucy is the same - except #2 has had a lot of work done.
PorphyriosK

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2014, 12:57:07 AM »

Sadly it seems like it. But the problem is who is good and who is bad ? How would I know who to trust ?

Also I always ask this question sometimes, Are you Traditionalist Catholic or a Catholic who accepts Vatican II ?

Many are not necessarily evil, but have simply grown lukewarm and became too concerned with how they appear to the world.  They are blind to the evils that have seeped in in the name of "dialogue" with the world.  They could have suppressed the message of Fatima for no other reason than preserving their image or reputation with the world.  Put your trust in Christ, His Mother, the Saints.  As for the clergy, you can know them by their fruits.  Distinguish those who seem to pander toward the world from those who go against it.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:58 AM »

Many are not necessarily evil, but have simply grown lukewarm and became too concerned with how they appear to the world.  They are blind to the evils that have seeped in in the name of "dialogue" with the world.  They could have suppressed the message of Fatima for no other reason than preserving their image or reputation with the world.  Put your trust in Christ, His Mother, the Saints.  As for the clergy, you can know them by their fruits.  Distinguish those who seem to pander toward the world from those who go against it.

These are some good advices. That is what I'm trying to do.

I'm sorry to repeat the same question, but could you please tell me if you are Traditionalist Catholic or a Catholic who accepts Vatican II ?  Smiley

I know that many times I've expressed negative views on Traditionalist Catholics, but because I never understood them and we both disagree on many issues, however we agree on other issues even though they are few.

PorphyriosK

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2014, 01:29:30 AM »

Switzerland had excellent plastic surgeons in the 1950's.  Sister Lucy is the same - except #2 has had a lot of work done.

Before

After

You can see that the shape of the mouth is different.  The corners of the mouth on the later Lucia turn down when smiling.  You can see this in the other pictures posted so far as well.  In the profile comparisons posted earlier, you can see that in the second photo, her chin protrudes out and her nose is no longer turned up slightly as it was when she was younger.  Also notice the spacing between the eyebrows.  I can't imagine why a cloistered nun would have extensive plastic surgery - especially during the 1950's.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2014, 01:35:00 AM »

I have -no- stake in this whole thing.....

But.....assuming surgery.....to be the solitary explanation for changes, is perhaps a bit far of a reach.

People can have issues that can cause muscle changes, which could in essence change a profile, or a turned up smile for a turned down...etc.

Even something as simple as getting some teeth pulled out, would and could change how the mouth closes over less protrusions.....

On the topic of what was said, and what it all -means-......sometimes I think its better to leave things, then to chase after prophecy and meanings.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2014, 01:35:48 AM »

Switzerland had excellent plastic surgeons in the 1950's.  Sister Lucy is the same - except #2 has had a lot of work done.

You can see that the shape of the mouth is different.  The corners of the mouth on the later Lucia turn down when smiling.  You can see this in the other pictures posted so far as well.  In the profile comparisons posted earlier, you can see that in the second photo, her chin protrudes out and her nose is no longer turned up slightly as it was when she was younger.  Also notice the spacing between the eyebrows.  I can't imagine why a cloistered nun would have extensive plastic surgery - especially during the 1950's.

Death threats from various factions.  Switzerland is neutral - very hard for spies and assassins to operate freely.  Vatican could protect her anywhere she went.

Edit: Joan Rivers has had numerous plastic surgeries and she doesn't look the same in 2014 as she did in 1984 or 1964 for that matter.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:37:17 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
PorphyriosK

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 01:51:19 AM »

I'm sorry to repeat the same question, but could you please tell me if you are Traditionalist Catholic or a Catholic who accepts Vatican II ?  Smiley

I know that many times I've expressed negative views on Traditionalist Catholics, but because I never understood them and we both disagree on many issues, however we agree on other issues even though they are few.

Sorry about that.  I'd consider myself a traditional Catholic, but not really a Latin Traditionalist.  If anything I lean more towards a traditional Byzantine spirituality and praxis.  I accept Vatican II, but its status and interpretation still seem tentative as long as the crisis persists.  I agree and sympathize with many Traditionalists on current Church matters, but things in that realm can sometimes deteriorate into bitterness and an attitude of Pharisaical external correctness that is not helpful.  I understand though that it's hard not to be bitter at times considering what has been happening these past several decades.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 01:53:48 AM »

Before

After

You can see that the shape of the mouth is different.  The corners of the mouth on the later Lucia turn down when smiling.  You can see this in the other pictures posted so far as well.  In the profile comparisons posted earlier, you can see that in the second photo, her chin protrudes out and her nose is no longer turned up slightly as it was when she was younger.  Also notice the spacing between the eyebrows.  I can't imagine why a cloistered nun would have extensive plastic surgery - especially during the 1950's.

Denise is right.

There is no need for plastic surgery to explain the physical changes seen in the older nun. While I'm not ruling out the possibility of the photos being of different women, the loss or removal of teeth and the subsequent natural remodeling of the jawbones and changes in the muscle and skin tone can easily lead to the structural differences seen. It was not at all unusual at that time for even quite young people to have some or all of their teeth removed, whether because of tooth decay, or to remove crooked teeth, and replace them with dentures. Dentures which have become worn with time can easily lead to the droopy corners of the mouth seen in the pictures of the older nun.

PorphyriosK

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 01:58:03 AM »

I have -no- stake in this whole thing.....

But.....assuming surgery.....to be the solitary explanation for changes, is perhaps a bit far of a reach.

People can have issues that can cause muscle changes, which could in essence change a profile, or a turned up smile for a turned down...etc.

Even something as simple as getting some teeth pulled out, would and could change how the mouth closes over less protrusions.....

On the topic of what was said, and what it all -means-......sometimes I think its better to leave things, then to chase after prophecy and meanings.

These are good points.  To be sure, I don't chase after these things, or base my spiritual life on them whatsoever.  I see all these things as merely useful for navigating the current crisis in the Roman Catholic Church.  
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 01:59:02 AM »

Sorry about that.  I'd consider myself a traditional Catholic, but not really a Latin Traditionalist.  If anything I lean more towards a traditional Byzantine spirituality and praxis.  I accept Vatican II, but its status and interpretation still seem tentative as long as the crisis persists.  I agree and sympathize with many Traditionalists on current Church matters, but things in that realm can sometimes deteriorate into bitterness and an attitude of Pharisaical external correctness that is not helpful.  I understand though that it's hard not to be bitter at times considering what has been happening these past several decades.

I agree with you on many things here. There are type of Traditionalist Catholics who just seem that they want to keep living in the past and sometimes the way they look at others is very harsh and they are quick to curse anyone who disagree with them and call them "heretics". But I do also agree that the Catholic Church at this time is NOT really that good. It is missed up, it is becoming more and more liberal, and it is losing its power over the followers, many Catholics worldwide don't even care about their faith, many think that Catholic is something you are born with it, and even if you are an Atheist, you still can be Catholic. Many Catholic Churches today are talking about love, mercy, and good. and that is great! But whenever you talk about sin, Hell, Devil...etc. you get negative reaction.

It is very clear that the Catholic Church is in a crises and need to do something about it before it gets too late.

PorphyriosK

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 02:02:45 AM »

Denise is right.

There is no need for plastic surgery to explain the physical changes seen in the older nun. While I'm not ruling out the possibility of the photos being of different women, the loss or removal of teeth and the subsequent natural remodeling of the jawbones and changes in the muscle and skin tone can easily lead to the structural differences seen. It was not at all unusual at that time for even quite young people to have some or all of their teeth removed, whether because of tooth decay, or to remove crooked teeth, and replace them with dentures. Dentures which have become worn with time can easily lead to the droopy corners of the mouth seen in the pictures of the older nun.

And you both may be very right about that.  I'm always open to the possibility that people have gone overboard in their speculations about Fatima. 
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »

But we're you there to see 70 000 people see this? I'm not arrogant or selfish and that borders on a personal attack. I'm allowed not to believe in it. Heck I'm not roman Catholic

More importantly, there were around 2 billion people in the world at that time. Assuming half were sleeping on the other side of the globe, there were around 1 billion people awake on the "sun side". How come 999.930.000 people did *not* see the sun moving in the sky?
I don't understand objections like this. Just because they saw the sun dancing does not mean the sun was literally dancing. There is a certain mystery to miracles. Why do you object to the rest of the sun-facing planet not seeing it and yet have no problem with the ensuing heat and freeze waves that would probably kill the Earth's population were the Sun to actually dance?

Adopting scientism in regards to miracles is a wholly inappropriate outlook.

There is nothing of scientism in it. God does make nature shaking miracles while, at the same time, countering other side-effects. But when the sea was opened, believers and unbelievers saw it.. When Jesus died and it got dark and there was an earthquake, everybody felt it.  When Jesus resurrected in body, only those to whom His body was withing eye-sight would see it. When, in some cases, the bread and wine become visibly flesh and blood, everybody sees it.

A material miracle that happens at the same time for believers and unbelievers is always seen by both. A person who is considered "healed" only by believers while unbelievers clearly see the person is still sick is no miracle at all. It's self-deception. Miracles are not a blank cheque for "everything goes". We must have discernement, or we can take illusions for the real thing.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »

As for the claims that it was not actually the sun, but something else, if it were named and clearly explained that it was not the miracle of the *sun* dancing, but the miracle of the "very big will-o'-the-wisp", it would be very less majestic and convincing, don't you think?

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »

Here is an excerpt of the newspaper article that first reported the miracle of the "dancing sun" in 1917 (my translation inserted in italics):

E os pastorinhos? Lucia, de 10 anos, a vidente, e os seus pequenos companheiros, Francisco, de 9, e Jacinta, de 7, ainda não chegaram. A sua presença assinala-se talvez meia hora antes da indicada como sendo a da aparição. Conduzem as rapariguinhas, coroadas de capelas de flôres, ao sitio em que se levanta o portico. A chuva cae incessantemente mas ninguem desespera. Carros com retardatários chegam à estrada. Grupos de freis ajoelham na lama e a Lucia pede-lhes, ordena que fechem os chapeus. Transmite-se a ordem, que é obedecida de pronto, sem a minima relutância. Ha gente, muita gente, como que em extase; gente comovida, em cujos labios secos a prece paralisou; gente pasmada, com as mãos postas e os olhos borbulhantes; gente que parece sentir, tocar o sobrenatural...

And the little shepherds? Lúcia, 10-years, the seer, and her little comraddes, Francisco, 9-years, and Jacinta, 7-years, have not arrived yet. They make themselves present about half an hour before the time assigned for the apparition. They lead the young maidens, crowned with flower chapels, to the place where the gate stands. The rain falls with no stop, but noone despairs. Cars arrive at the roads with the latecomers. Groups of friars kneel on the mud and Lucia ask, commands them to close their umbrellas. They are given their orders, which are obeyed, without the least reluctance. There are people, a lot of people, as if in ecstasy; shaken, whose dry lips seem paralised by prayer; people in wonder, hands put together and bubbling eyes; people who seem to feel, touch the supernatural...

A criança afirma que a Senhora lhe falou mais uma vez, e o céu, ainda caliginoso, começa, de subito, a clarear no alto; a chuva pára e presente-se que o sol vae inundar de luz a paizagem que a manhã invernosa tomou ainda mais triste...

The child says that the Lady talked to her once again, and the sky, still dark, starts, all of a sudden, to bright up; the rain stops and one feels that the sun will flood with light a scenario the winter morning had made even sadder...

A hora antiga' é a que regula para esta multidão, que calculos desapaixonados de pessoas cultas e de todo o ponto alheias ás influencias misticas computam em trinta ou quarenta mil creaturas... A manifestação miraculosa, o sinal visivel anunciado está prestes a produzir-se - asseguram muitos romeiros... E assiste-se então a um espectáculo unico e inacreditavel para quem não foi testemunha d'ele. Do cimo da estrada, onde se aglomeram os carros e se conservam muitas centenas de pessoas, a quem escasseou valor para se meter à terra barrenta, vê-se toda a imensa multidão voltar-se para o sol, que se mostra liberto de nuvens, no zenit. O astro lembra uma placa de prata fosca e é possivel fitar-lhe o disco sem o minimo esforço. Não queima, não cega. Dir-se-hia estar-se realisando um eclipse. Mas eis que um alarido colossal se levanta, e aos espectadores que se encontram mais perto se ouve gritar:

- Milagre, milagre! Maravilha, maravilha!

The crowd follows the ancient time, a crowd counted around 30 or 40 thousand by educated uninvolved people who are in everything dettached from the mystical influences of the pilgrims.... The miraculous manifestation, the announced visible sign is about to happe - say many pilgrims... And then one watches a spectacle unique and unbelieavable for anyone who did not witness it. From the top of the road, where many cars are and many people to whom it was unworthy to step on the muddy soil, one sees all the immense crowd turn to the sun, which shows itselef cloudless, in its zenit. The star reminds us of a mat silver plaque, and one can look at it without any effort. It does not burn, it does not blind. One could say an eclipse was happening. But then a colossal uproar rises, and we can hear those closer to us shout:

- Miracle, miracle! Wonder, wonder!

Aos olhos deslumbrados d'aquele povo, cuja atitude nos transporta aos tempos biblicos e que, palido de assombro, com a cabeça descoberta, encara o azul, o sol tremeu, o sol teve nunca vistos movimentos bruscos fóra de todas as leis cosmicas - o sol «bailou», segundo a tipica expressão dos camponeses.. Empoleirado no estribo do auto-omnibus de Torres Novas, um ancião cuja estatura e cuja fisionomia, ao mesmo tempo doce e energica, lembram as de Paul Déroulède, recita, voltado para o sol, em voz clamorosa, de principio a fim, o Credo. Pergunte quem é e dizem-me ser o sr. João Maria Amado de Melo Ramalho da Cunha Vasconcelos.

According to the eyes of those people, whose attitude takes us to biblical times, and who face the blue (sky) with uncovered head, the sun had shaken, it had jolted in an unseen manner outside all cosmic laws - the sun «dancedd», according to the typical expression of the peasants. Up on footboard of a bus from Torres Novas, an elder whose height and countenance, at the same time sweet and energetic, akin to Paul Déroulède, recites the Creed, begining to end, in resounding voice, turned to the sun. Ask him who he is and I was told he was Mr. João Maria Amado de Melo Ramalho da Cunha Vasconcelos.

Vejo-o depois dirigir-se aos que o rodeiam, e que se conservaram de chapeu na cabeça, suplicando-lhes, veementemente, que se descubram em face de tão extraordinária demonstração da existência de Deus. Cenas idênticas repetem-se n'outros pontos e uma senhora clama, banhada em aflitivo pranto e quasi n'uma sufocarão:

- Que lastima! Ainda ha homens que se não descobrem deante de tão estupendo milagre!

I see him address those around him, and who keep their hats on their heads, begging them, vehemently, to take their hats off before such an extraordinary demonstration of the existence of God. Identical scenes are repeated at other spots and a lady cries out, bathed in sweet tears and almost loosing her breath:

- What a pitty! There are still men who do not find themselves before such a stupendous miracle!

E, a seguir, perguntam uns aos outros se viram e o que viram. O maior numero confessa que viu a tremura, o bailado do sol; outros, porém, declaram ter visto o rosto risonho da propria Virgem, juram que o sol girou sobre si mesmo como uma roda de fogo de artificio, que ele baixou quasi a ponto de queimar a terra com os seus raios... Ha quem diga que o viu mudar sucessivamente de côr...

São perto de quinze horas.

Then, next, they ask each other if they saw what they saw. The largest number confess they saw the shaking, the dancing of the sun; others, however, claim to have seen the smiling face of the Virgin herself, they swear the sun spinned around itself like a wheel of fireworks, that it came down almost to the point of burning the earth with its rays... some say they saw it change into several colors....

It is close to 3 pm.

"O Século", Lisbon (morning edition) 37 (l2.876) Oct. 15th, 1917, p. 1, cols. 6-7; p. 2, col. 1.

for full article (in Portuguese): http://www.paginaoriente.com/maria/report.htm
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:42:13 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »

Here are books with the original messages in Portuguese:

http://www.pastorinhos.com/edicoes/livros/

PorphyriosK

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »

Here is an excerpt of the newspaper article that first reported the miracle of the "dancing sun" in 1917 (my translation inserted in italics):

E os pastorinhos? Lucia, de 10 anos, a vidente, e os seus pequenos companheiros, Francisco, de 9, e Jacinta, de 7, ainda não chegaram. A sua presença assinala-se talvez meia hora antes da indicada como sendo a da aparição. Conduzem as rapariguinhas, coroadas de capelas de flôres, ao sitio em que se levanta o portico. A chuva cae incessantemente mas ninguem desespera. Carros com retardatários chegam à estrada. Grupos de freis ajoelham na lama e a Lucia pede-lhes, ordena que fechem os chapeus. Transmite-se a ordem, que é obedecida de pronto, sem a minima relutância. Ha gente, muita gente, como que em extase; gente comovida, em cujos labios secos a prece paralisou; gente pasmada, com as mãos postas e os olhos borbulhantes; gente que parece sentir, tocar o sobrenatural...

And the little shepherds? Lúcia, 10-years, the seer, and her little comraddes, Francisco, 9-years, and Jacinta, 7-years, have not arrived yet. They make themselves present about half an hour before the time assigned for the apparition. They lead the young maidens, crowned with flower chapels, to the place where the gate stands. The rain falls with no stop, but noone despairs. Cars arrive at the roads with the latecomers. Groups of friars kneel on the mud and Lucia ask, commands them to close their umbrellas. They are given their orders, which are obeyed, without the least reluctance. There are people, a lot of people, as if in ecstasy; shaken, whose dry lips seem paralised by prayer; people in wonder, hands put together and bubbling eyes; people who seem to feel, touch the supernatural...

A criança afirma que a Senhora lhe falou mais uma vez, e o céu, ainda caliginoso, começa, de subito, a clarear no alto; a chuva pára e presente-se que o sol vae inundar de luz a paizagem que a manhã invernosa tomou ainda mais triste...

The child says that the Lady talked to her once again, and the sky, still dark, starts, all of a sudden, to bright up; the rain stops and one feels that the sun will flood with light a scenario the winter morning had made even sadder...

A hora antiga' é a que regula para esta multidão, que calculos desapaixonados de pessoas cultas e de todo o ponto alheias ás influencias misticas computam em trinta ou quarenta mil creaturas... A manifestação miraculosa, o sinal visivel anunciado está prestes a produzir-se - asseguram muitos romeiros... E assiste-se então a um espectáculo unico e inacreditavel para quem não foi testemunha d'ele. Do cimo da estrada, onde se aglomeram os carros e se conservam muitas centenas de pessoas, a quem escasseou valor para se meter à terra barrenta, vê-se toda a imensa multidão voltar-se para o sol, que se mostra liberto de nuvens, no zenit. O astro lembra uma placa de prata fosca e é possivel fitar-lhe o disco sem o minimo esforço. Não queima, não cega. Dir-se-hia estar-se realisando um eclipse. Mas eis que um alarido colossal se levanta, e aos espectadores que se encontram mais perto se ouve gritar:

- Milagre, milagre! Maravilha, maravilha!

The crowd follows the ancient time, a crowd counted around 30 or 40 thousand by educated uninvolved people who are in everything dettached from the mystical influences of the pilgrims.... The miraculous manifestation, the announced visible sign is about to happe - say many pilgrims... And then one watches a spectacle unique and unbelieavable for anyone who did not witness it. From the top of the road, where many cars are and many people to whom it was unworthy to step on the muddy soil, one sees all the immense crowd turn to the sun, which shows itselef cloudless, in its zenit. The star reminds us of a mat silver plaque, and one can look at it without any effort. It does not burn, it does not blind. One could say an eclipse was happening. But then a colossal uproar rises, and we can hear those closer to us shout:

- Miracle, miracle! Wonder, wonder!

Aos olhos deslumbrados d'aquele povo, cuja atitude nos transporta aos tempos biblicos e que, palido de assombro, com a cabeça descoberta, encara o azul, o sol tremeu, o sol teve nunca vistos movimentos bruscos fóra de todas as leis cosmicas - o sol «bailou», segundo a tipica expressão dos camponeses.. Empoleirado no estribo do auto-omnibus de Torres Novas, um ancião cuja estatura e cuja fisionomia, ao mesmo tempo doce e energica, lembram as de Paul Déroulède, recita, voltado para o sol, em voz clamorosa, de principio a fim, o Credo. Pergunte quem é e dizem-me ser o sr. João Maria Amado de Melo Ramalho da Cunha Vasconcelos.

According to the eyes of those people, whose attitude takes us to biblical times, and who face the blue (sky) with uncovered head, the sun had shaken, it had jolted in an unseen manner outside all cosmic laws - the sun «dancedd», according to the typical expression of the peasants. Up on footboard of a bus from Torres Novas, an elder whose height and countenance, at the same time sweet and energetic, akin to Paul Déroulède, recites the Creed, begining to end, in resounding voice, turned to the sun. Ask him who he is and I was told he was Mr. João Maria Amado de Melo Ramalho da Cunha Vasconcelos.

Vejo-o depois dirigir-se aos que o rodeiam, e que se conservaram de chapeu na cabeça, suplicando-lhes, veementemente, que se descubram em face de tão extraordinária demonstração da existência de Deus. Cenas idênticas repetem-se n'outros pontos e uma senhora clama, banhada em aflitivo pranto e quasi n'uma sufocarão:

- Que lastima! Ainda ha homens que se não descobrem deante de tão estupendo milagre!

I see him address those around him, and who keep their hats on their heads, begging them, vehemently, to take their hats off before such an extraordinary demonstration of the existence of God. Identical scenes are repeated at other spots and a lady cries out, bathed in sweet tears and almost loosing her breath:

- What a pitty! There are still men who do not find themselves before such a stupendous miracle!

E, a seguir, perguntam uns aos outros se viram e o que viram. O maior numero confessa que viu a tremura, o bailado do sol; outros, porém, declaram ter visto o rosto risonho da propria Virgem, juram que o sol girou sobre si mesmo como uma roda de fogo de artificio, que ele baixou quasi a ponto de queimar a terra com os seus raios... Ha quem diga que o viu mudar sucessivamente de côr...

São perto de quinze horas.

Then, next, they ask each other if they saw what they saw. The largest number confess they saw the shaking, the dancing of the sun; others, however, claim to have seen the smiling face of the Virgin herself, they swear the sun spinned around itself like a wheel of fireworks, that it came down almost to the point of burning the earth with its rays... some say they saw it change into several colors....

It is close to 3 pm.

"O Século", Lisbon (morning edition) 37 (l2.876) Oct. 15th, 1917, p. 1, cols. 6-7; p. 2, col. 1.

for full article (in Portuguese): http://www.paginaoriente.com/maria/report.htm

Hollywood's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=951f67OJ2Ys
vasily
Warned

Jurisdiction: Orthodox church in america

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »

I am very confused about this entire ordeal and do not believe in its validity. Since when does the Virgin Mary make predictions? There have been many versions,since the individuals who supposedly witnessed this apparent vision were questioned many, many times by various individuals and their stories changed. The thing that upsets me is that certain Catholic groups are using this apparent vision and predictions to make statements that Russia will be converted. They imply to the Latin Church.
PorphyriosK

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »

The thing that upsets me is that certain Catholic groups are using this apparent vision and predictions to make statements that Russia will be converted. They imply to the Latin Church.

Whoever is saying these things is simply wrong.  The Latin Church has specifically ordered that all Orthodox who come into communion with Rome retain their Greek/Byzantine rites, spirituality, and disciplines.  In fact, if they do wish to enter the Latin Church they have to obtain a special dispensation.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2014, 03:46:29 PM »

As for the claims that it was not actually the sun, but something else, if it were named and clearly explained that it was not the miracle of the *sun* dancing, but the miracle of the "very big will-o'-the-wisp", it would be very less majestic and convincing, don't you think?

Yes, I suppose so. But then, I also suppose that's a big part of the reason that names like "the sun dancing" (without even a footnote that it may not have actually been the sun) are so common.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:47:14 PM by Peter J » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »

The thing that upsets me is that certain Catholic groups are using this apparent vision and predictions to make statements that Russia will be converted. They imply to the Latin Church.

I see PorphyriosK responded to this already, but I'd like to chime in anyhow. It is wrong. The term "the Latin Church" does not refer to the entire Roman Communion, but specifically to the Western portion of it.

Clemente

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »

I would add that there are some doubts about the nature of letters since it gives the impression that the Theotokos is "Immaculately Conceived" but let's just assume that this simply refers to Mary's Sinlessness and not Mary being shielded from Sin as in the Catholic interpretation of the Immaculate Conception.

This doesn't fit very well with the understanding of the Theotokos' sinlessness that many orthodox have, including St. John Maximovitch, which is that she became sinless after conception, perhaps considerably after.
griego catolico

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »

"In May of 1946, a Russian girl (Natacha Derfelden) in exile at Paris, went to the International Marian Con­ gress at Fatima and took Russian soil to place at the Shrine. Thirty-five thousand youth delegates from all the five continents joined with her in an act of consecrating Russia to the Immaculate Heart. It is rumored that Natacha was told by Sister Lucia (the visionary of Fatima) that the conversion of Russia would be completed through the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Rite. I received this news from Fatima, at the time, through a reliable reporter who said that he had corroborated it with Miss Derfelden. Later one of the greatest "underground” apostles of Our Lady of Fatima in the world, who visited the Russian Orthodox in Paris, passed the report to me verbally in New York"(Russia Will be Converted, John Haffert, President of the Blue Army, 1956, p. 204).
http://johnhaffert.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Russia-convert-2.pdf

Father Lance,

Yes, I am very much aware of the above statement by Sister Lucia as I have quoted it previously on other threads both here and over at The Byzantine Forum, but  I was referring to what the Theotokos Herself said at Fatima. Our Lady makes no mention of  the "conversion of Russia" as meaning converting to Catholicism or remaining Orthodox.
The above statement is from Sister Lucia.

Now, there is a letter by Sister Lucia with a statement that could imply the conversion of Russia to Catholicism:

Why this urgency of God that this Consecration should be made in union with all the bishops of the world? Because this Consecration is a call for unity of all Christians - The Mystical Body of Christ - whose head is the Pope, the one, true representative of Christ on earth to whom the Lord confided the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and on this union depends the faith in the world and the charity which is the bond that must unite all of us in Christ, as that which He wants, and as He asked the Father: "As You, O Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You have sent Me. . . I in them, and You in Me; that they be made perfect in one, and the world may know that You have sent Me and have loved them as You have loved Me" (John 17:21-23).
Source: https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/Fatima1984.htm
griego catolico

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »

Is this really Sister Lúcia?

She looks like Sister Christina Scuccia, the winner of The Voice of Italy.

Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »

Is this really Sister Lúcia?

She looks like Sister Christina Scuccia, the winner of The Voice of Italy.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: