OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:09:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EO to OO  (Read 1187 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: June 06, 2014, 12:12:55 AM »

How do the various OO usually receive EO into their Churches? Are there individual Church-wide policies or is it more local (e.g. as per bishop or diocese)?

And I'm just curious, but are there any OO's on here that were EO?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »

How do the various OO usually receive EO into their Churches? Are there individual Church-wide policies or is it more local (e.g. as per bishop or diocese)?

The Church in India receives them (theoretically...it's not like we're overrun with EO) via confession.  IIRC, in addition to the canons of St Severus of Antioch, there is an official Synod resolution to this effect ca. 1980's. 

Not me.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »

What we would need to confess? Something specific related to EOxy?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:21 AM »

What we would need to confess?

Sins?

Something specific related to EOxy?

Most likely nothing more than the Nicene Creed.  There's no requirement for a Trullo 95 style libellus. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:22:28 AM »

The Church in India receives them (theoretically...it's not like we're overrun with EO) via confession.  IIRC, in addition to the canons of St Severus of Antioch, there is an official Synod resolution to this effect ca. 1980's. 

Not me.  Wink

Interesting, so when one is received via confession, it's the sacrament of confession right? Or a confession of faith (I.e. the creed)?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 04:56:31 AM »

What we would need to confess?

Sins?

You just had to do that, didn't you? Tongue

Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 07:15:52 AM »

A few decades ago it was baptism. Currently it is chrismation. But its common to commune them as visiting EO before confirming them to make them members of the Coptic Church. Seems pretty confused and inconsistent to me. Apparently now the policy is shifting to receiving by confession (and not confessing anything about councils or saints as far as i can tell... Just basically the same as anyone, confession before communion), but there isn't an official uniform policy from the synod.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:16:39 AM by Jonathan » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »

What was the rationale for baptizing EOs?

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »

What was the rationale for baptizing EOs?

Would have to be rational to have a rationale...

They said that you are Baptised into a faith, and since we're not in communion over a matter of faith (chalcedon) they are different baptisms into different faiths. So not saying EO are unbaptised, but it is a different baptism. I'll stick with the creed's one baptism into one church. Christ isn't a polygamist
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »

Sounds weird. Not trying to turn this into a debate about anything but that's the most weird rationale for rebaptisms that I've heard.

Oh well. It's not my church. To each his/her own.

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »

Sounds weird. Not trying to turn this into a debate about anything but that's the most weird rationale for rebaptisms that I've heard.

Oh well. It's not my church. To each his/her own.

Hence why it isn't the case anymore Smiley
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »

Armenians receive EO's by confession and communion.
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »

Has anyone moved from the EO to OO? I've never heard of such a case.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

IIRC we had a thread about some EO priest switcing to some OO church. I don't remember specifics. IIRC he viewed it just as a change of jurisdiction instead of switching to another church.

Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »

Has anyone moved from the EO to OO? I've never heard of such a case.
My mom did, as did one of my uncles. It's not uncommon.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »

Not me.  Wink

Interesting, so when one is received via confession, it's the sacrament of confession right? Or a confession of faith (I.e. the creed)?

It is the sacrament of Confession.  But technically, every celebration of the sacrament of Confession involves a profession of faith.  The specific formula recited before the confession of sins includes the following (there's a typo, but I will leave it as is):

I confess to God the Father Almighty, and to His beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and to the Holy Spirit, in the presence of our Lady the Virgin, ever sacred in her virginity, and all the holy angels, of Michael, of Gabriel, both chief of angels, and St. John the Baptist, of the holy apostles St. Peter and St. Paul, the twenty-four prophets, the twelve apostles, the four evangelists and the seventy-two sent forth.

I confess the holy faith of the three Ecumenical Councils of Nicaea, Constantinople and Ephesus in the most noble priesthood ascribed unto You, Father Priest, by which You loose and bind.

I have sinned through all my senses, both inwardly and outwardly, in word, in deed and in thought. My sin is great, very great, and I repent of it most sincerely, purposing not to fall again into the same ever, preferring death rather than embrace sin. And I ask you, by the authority of the sacred priesthood, that you absolve me and forgive, asking God to pardon me through His grace. Amen.

http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/Anaphora/Repentance.html

Additionally, the Nicene Creed is an indispensable element in every liturgical rite and prayer. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »

IIRC we had a thread about some EO priest switcing to some OO church. I don't remember specifics. IIRC he viewed it just as a change of jurisdiction instead of switching to another church.

Yes! That was HG Bishop Sourial of Melbourne, Australia. No chrismation was done or ordination. Just revesting.  The priest was from the Serbian Orthodox Church.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36680.45.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:26:51 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »

It is the sacrament of Confession.  But technically, every celebration of the sacrament of Confession involves a profession of faith.  The specific formula recited before the confession of sins includes the following (there's a typo, but I will leave it as is):

I confess to God the Father Almighty, and to His beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and to the Holy Spirit, in the presence of our Lady the Virgin, ever sacred in her virginity, and all the holy angels, of Michael, of Gabriel, both chief of angels, and St. John the Baptist, of the holy apostles St. Peter and St. Paul, the twenty-four prophets, the twelve apostles, the four evangelists and the seventy-two sent forth.

I confess the holy faith of the three Ecumenical Councils of Nicaea, Constantinople and Ephesus in the most noble priesthood ascribed unto You, Father Priest, by which You loose and bind.

I have sinned through all my senses, both inwardly and outwardly, in word, in deed and in thought. My sin is great, very great, and I repent of it most sincerely, purposing not to fall again into the same ever, preferring death rather than embrace sin. And I ask you, by the authority of the sacred priesthood, that you absolve me and forgive, asking God to pardon me through His grace. Amen.

Additionally, the Nicene Creed is an indispensable element in every liturgical rite and prayer. 

Pretty neat, thanks. Is that pretty standard in the Syriac tradition? I only ask because I've never actually had a priest tell me to do what I've seen in any of the variations of Confession in EO prayerbooks.

I wonder how that compares to the other traditions that would receive by Confession.
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »

Yes! That was HG Bishop Sourial of Melbourne, Australia. No chrismation was done or ordination. Just revesting.  The priest was from the Serbian Orthodox Church.

I know a priest who was received by baptism a long time ago. Seen another priest received by chrismation. And seen laity received by confession. Hearing you describe a priest received by confession sounds very good to me.

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »

Yes! That was HG Bishop Sourial of Melbourne, Australia.

I read this and nearly fainted...until I read the rest about the Serbian priest.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »

Pretty neat, thanks. Is that pretty standard in the Syriac tradition? I only ask because I've never actually had a priest tell me to do what I've seen in any of the variations of Confession in EO prayerbooks.

I wonder how that compares to the other traditions that would receive by Confession.

Yes, I'd like to know more about this.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »

Yes! That was HG Bishop Sourial of Melbourne, Australia. No chrismation was done or ordination. Just revesting.  The priest was from the Serbian Orthodox Church.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36680.45.html
sorry for the late modification. Here is a past thread that talks about this

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »

In my experience, it varies.  "Older" priests tend to make the confessional experience into a sort of sacramental chat: some encouraging words, confession of and discussion of sins and related issues, followed by the assigning of a penance if deemed beneficial and ending with absolution.  "Newer' priests tend to do all this, but will still have you recite the ritual formulae.  Most of my recent confessions have been conducted in this way.  

Again, this is reflective of my experience with Indian practice.  I don't know how the Middle Eastern communities do things.  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »

Yes! That was HG Bishop Sourial of Melbourne, Australia. No chrismation was done or ordination. Just revesting.  The priest was from the Serbian Orthodox Church.

I know a priest who was received by baptism a long time ago. Seen another priest received by chrismation. And seen laity received by confession. Hearing you describe a priest received by confession sounds very good to me.

Hopefully we stop this whole re-baptize, re-chrismate, or re-ordain once and for all in these cases and follow the canons of Sts Timothy, Severus, and Theodosius.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »

Oh, here's another, much less significant, question:

How is an EO with a post-schism baptismal/Christian name and patron saint handled? Like if a female EO's name were Xenia after St. Xenia of Petersburg, what happens when they're received?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »

Oh, here's another, much less significant, question:

How is an EO with a post-schism baptismal/Christian name and patron saint handled? Like if a female EO's name were Xenia after St. Xenia of Petersburg, what happens when they're received?

I don't think it matters terribly.  IIRC, one of our Metropolitans is said to have taken the name Seraphim at his ordination because of his fondness for St Seraphim of Sarov, not because of his fondness for the angelic rank. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »

So when is the big switch, Nephi?  Cool

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »

Nephi becomes OO, followed by Mor becoming EO. Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:18:35 PM by kelly » Logged

I heard that Mor Ephrem is addicted to cocaine. Pass it on.

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »

I wait for you, Justin.  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »

Nephi becomes OO, followed by Mor becoming EO. Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mor becoming EO is like the secret dream of many OCNetters.  And the well-known nightmare of others. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »

Mor becoming EO is like the secret dream of many OCNetters.  And the well-known nightmare of others. 

One of us, one of us!

Oh most wise Kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »

One of us, one of us!

Eh, in God's eyes it is already so.  I'm not sure why I have to annoy one group of bishops to please another.  But you never know...

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »

One of us, one of us!

Eh, in God's eyes it is already so.  I'm not sure why I have to annoy one group of bishops to please another.  But you never know...

My hilarious movie quotes are flying over your head, my friend.

Oh most wise Kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

I'm not very cultured and sophisticated, am I? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 04:34:03 PM »

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »

I, on the other hand, enjoy them immensely. 

And I love the little wordless gifs with the apropos gestures and expressions more.  That Beyoncé one in the Antiochian thread was hypnotic.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »

If Mor Ephrem became EO and Nephi didn't want to go, would we have to send someone over to them? Sort of like a prisoner exchange? How about ialmisry? He already knows some of the culture/language involved, and he could teach them how to be unfriendly to Catholics.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »

If Mor Ephrem became EO and Nephi didn't want to go, would we have to send someone over to them? Sort of like a prisoner exchange? How about ialmisry? He already knows some of the culture/language involved, and he could teach them how to be unfriendly to Catholics.
I'm pretty sure they would return him after about 2 days.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »

I don't think it matters terribly.  IIRC, one of our Metropolitans is said to have taken the name Seraphim at his ordination because of his fondness for St Seraphim of Sarov, not because of his fondness for the angelic rank.

Hey that's cool, and not because Seraphim is my baptismal name or anything. angel
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »

You'll be on the list of people I send save-the-dates to. Wink
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »

That Beyoncé one in the Antiochian thread was hypnotic.

Yes.  Positively sin-inducing.  I wouldn't have it otherwise.  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »

I, on the other hand, enjoy them immensely. 

And I love the little wordless gifs with the apropos gestures and expressions more.  That Beyoncé one in the Antiochian thread was hypnotic.

Oh most wise Kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »

Ladies can do that all day if they want, but it's still not going to get rid of the loose skin in the triceps area.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »

Ladies can do that all day if they want, but it's still not going to get rid of the loose skin in the triceps area.

No one thought you were ready for that jelly anyway.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »

No one thought you were ready for that jelly anyway.

LOL!!!!!!

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »

You're welcome!  Smiley

Yes.  Positively sin-inducing.  I wouldn't have it otherwise. 

Yeah, you knew exactly the pic I meant, didn't you?

Geez, your vitamin-infused fruit smoothie's ready, Mr. LaLanne.

And people wonder why some of the most beautiful women you're ever gonna meet are insecure.  Go rent Shallow Hal and watch the scene where Hal tells off Rosemary's father at the dinner table.  Your Rosemary's father.  Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »

What do ya mean? I like loose underarm skin. I'm trying to get these ladies to stop thinking that there is a magic pill/exercise solution to all these cosmetic things they mis-think is wrong with them. That's what this girl is doing isn't it, "exercising"? Who is she? A famous fitness instructor? I see no jelly. I am not jelly, and she is not jelly of me, so I don't really know about all the jelly stuff. Maybe she likes to eat it? That's good.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »

Yes.  Positively sin-inducing.  I wouldn't have it otherwise. 

Yeah, you knew exactly the pic I meant, didn't you?

Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 07:30:47 PM »

I like loose underarm skin.

Yeah, I don't know where to go with that...

I'm trying to get these ladies to stop thinking that there is a magic pill/exercise solution to all these cosmetic things they mis-think is wrong with them.

Cool.  I'm with that.

That's what this girl is doing isn't it, "exercising"?

LOL!  You're trolling, right?  She's blowing a kiss to her fans to say "Thank you!".  That's why Kelly posted it.  It was a clever way of saying "thanks" for my compliment on her effective use of these images, especially since the one I referenced also had Beyoncé in it.

Who is she? A famous fitness instructor? I see no jelly. I am not jelly, and she is not jelly of me, so I don't really know about all the jelly stuff. Maybe she likes to eat it? That's good.

Stop, man.  Just stop.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:31:46 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »

What do ya mean? I like loose underarm skin. I'm trying to get these ladies to stop thinking that there is a magic pill/exercise solution to all these cosmetic things they mis-think is wrong with them. That's what this girl is doing isn't it, "exercising"? Who is she? A famous fitness instructor? I see no jelly. I am not jelly, and she is not jelly of me, so I don't really know about all the jelly stuff. Maybe she likes to eat it? That's good.

Really, you don't know?

Have you googled "I don't think you're ready for this jelly"?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:01:17 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 08:07:02 PM »

I knew who she was, I was just joking (though I've never listened to more than a few minutes of her). I did indeed have to google for the 'jelly' part though, and the urban dictionary came to my rescue.  angel

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 08:12:01 PM »

The real losers here are the people who keep checking the new posts in this thread thinking we're actually on topic.  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 08:20:12 PM »

I wait for you, Justin.  

If EO people switch do they have to give up their Byzantine Empire swag? Like could I at least keep my favorite things? I'd especially like to keep the demon-skin throw rug, the 6th century spear from the battles in Italy, my coin collection (I could condense it and get rid of the display case), at least three or four of the flags, and most especially my 13th century copy of the Code of Justinian? Also, I don't have to get like Indian or Ethiopian things do I? I only ask because I'm proud to be an American and don't much care for stuff from foreign cultures. No offense intended!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 08:21:15 PM »

Well I think the above should get us back on topic. Thankfully we aren't talking rasta.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »

The real losers here are the people who keep checking the new posts in this thread thinking we're actually on topic.  Grin

Sorry Nephi!!!

To be honest, I have no answer on the name change issue.  It would be interesting though if we have a Coptic priest named Photius, even though I know of no one in this instance.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »

I wait for you, Justin.  

If EO people switch do they have to give up their Byzantine Empire swag? Like could I at least keep my favorite things? I'd especially like to keep the demon-skin throw rug, the 6th century spear from the battles in Italy, my coin collection (I could condense it and get rid of the display case), at least three or four of the flags, and most especially my 13th century copy of the Code of Justinian? Also, I don't have to get like Indian or Ethiopian things do I? I only ask because I'm proud to be an American and don't much care for stuff from foreign cultures. No offense intended!

It is a must that you have to have pictures of Haile Selassie with the Ethiopian royal flag, as a refutation of the heresy of the code of Justinian and the Byzantine imperial emblem.

angel Tongue

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »

On the flip side, what if Abouna Dioscoros or Abba Sawiros becomes EO?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

If EO people switch do they have to give up their Byzantine Empire swag?

Armenians seem to retain a lot of it: just look at the eagle rugs!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »

There are other saints named Dioscorus and Severus  Wink...

Perhaps Abouna Jacob Baradeus or Abouna Philoxenus to be really clear...lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:49:59 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »

There are other saints named Dioscorus and Severus  Wink...

Perhaps Abouna Jacob Baradeus or Abouna Philoxenus to be really clear...lol

Personally, I think Metropolitan Thomas Mor Leomoreproblemos would have the most trouble.  He could always become a Nektary or a Varlaam. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2014, 09:27:54 PM »

Sorry Nephi!!!

No problemo. This sort of tangent is always welcome over a polemical one. Smiley
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2014, 09:31:56 PM »

Metropolitan Thomas Mor Leomoreproblemos

How do you know my father of confession?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »

Metropolitan Thomas Mor Leomoreproblemos

How do you know my father of confession?

It is I, my son! 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »

What a weird thread.

Oh most wise Kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »

What a weird thread.

It took a strange turn around reply #27. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 10:42:22 PM »

Alright, so what's the line between Confession as "changing Churches" and as "just the sacrament?" IOW, does it have to be done with the specific intent to change Churches?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »

Alright, so what's the line between Confession as "changing Churches" and as "just the sacrament?" IOW, does it have to be done with the specific intent to change Churches?

Presumably, the convert-to-be would be discussing these matters with a priest such that the first Confession is the one that also functions as the means of conversion.  AFAIK, there's no special prayer or other distinctive element.  You would confess and then receive Communion.  You would probably sign some paperwork listing you as a member of the parish.  Maybe they'd bring you a slice of cake or some sweets?  Perhaps tell you about projects that require your money prayers?  Tongue

It's usually not that difficult. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »

It is I, my son! 

Salam ya ods abouna!

What a weird thread.

What?!?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: