OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Paulos Mar Gregorios' Address to the Parliament of the World's Religions  (Read 971 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: April 16, 2005, 10:42:37 PM »

This is a speach that a bishop of my church gave in 1989 for the cause of ecumenism:
http://www.geocities.com/gregorianstudycircle/Vision_Beckons.html

If anyone is willing to read it, then please give me your opinion on the speach.

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 09:25:36 AM »

Brother Matthew,

I have counted the word "humanity" to be used 24 times in his speech by Dr. Paulos Mar Gregorios.

On the other hand the word "personal" is only used once in the following passage:

"On the one hand, all religions have to develop a deep spiritual commitment, the re-creation of the deepest levels of meaning for human existence in a personal and communal spirituality. But equally important is the other pole: the commitment to the welfare of humanity, the commitment to justice, the commitment to peace, the commitment to an environment that promotes life rather than threatens to extinguish it, the commitment to eliminate toxic drugs and nuclear weapons. "

I do not know if this is typical of his thesis about "the cause of ecumenism". If so, then he may be not talking about "ecumenism" as Christian theology has stated the ideal of "ecumenism" to be: a unification of persons as members of one body of Christ. He may be talking about an "ecumenism" that is regarding human unification to be already acomplished by the unity of human nature and which is starting from this assumption seeking to have "humanity" rectified.

The main problem with that thesis is that we may not seek "unification" but "rectification".

Again, I say that I have no other texts from Dr. Paulos Mar Gregorios so I may be wrong about what I have said.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 09:28:21 AM by lpap » Logged

Life is to live the life of others.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 04:20:34 PM »

I found the speach a little unsettling because it has sort of an one world religion/government undertone. Though I could be mistaken and please forgive me if I am.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 04:21:30 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: